14 First Move

Rules of the Game
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“It was you?” I stood up in shock.

That night of the dance I could have sworn it was Jungkook. Not even I knew it was Jungkook, it had to be him. In my mind it was him.

I figured that he was just pretending to act as if nothing had happened, but it was never him. It was Jhope?

Jhope seemed equally flustered as I was. “Lia, calm down, just let me explain.”

He walked around the coffee table to come closer to me, but I backed away almost instantly. I didn’t want him near me. My emotions were everywhere. “No don’t bother. Whatever you have to say is nothing I want to hear.”

I raced to the door and he followed my pace. “Lia just hear me out.”

Just as I wrapped my fingers around the door knob his hand enclosed around my wrist. “Lia please.”

Despite how his eyes were begging for me to stay I couldn’t. I had enough surprises. First what happened with Jimin and now Jhope? It was just too much for me to take in at that moment. “I’m sorry I can’t.”

I pulled away then quickly took my leave.

My heart was thumping wildly in my chest. I didn’t know what to believe anymore. If the masked man wasn’t Jungkook then how did he even feel about me?

Once I got back to my room I collapsed onto my bed from exhaustion. “Oh yeah Jungkook didn’t show up today.”

Out of pure instinct I checked my phone to see if he had messaged me. There was nothing.

A groan exited my body as I dropped my phone onto the mattress. “Nothing is making sense right now.”

The rest of the night I tried to fall asleep, but my mind was constantly swimming so I couldn’t sleep at all.

“You look worse than yesterday.”

Minyoon and I sat in class and I currently had my head rested on the desk. “It was a long night.”

She laughed curtly, almost forced, and then tucked some of her hair behind her ear. “Yeah, same here.”

My eyes grazed over the classroom. “Jungkook isn’t here again either.”

There was only a few minutes left before class started so it was safe to say he wasn’t going to be attending. He still didn’t tell me anything either so I was beginning to get worried.

“Yeah, it’s really weird.”

I sighed resting even further onto the desk. “It really is.”

Minyoon smiled a bit. “It’s ironic. Before it was normal for him to not show up to class, but ever since he’s been hanging around you he comes every day and it’s even weirder if he doesn’t show up.”

I shrugged casually. “It’s not like I did anything. His dad is making him go to classes now. If anything he probably hates coming to classes now.”

She shrugged also. “Or maybe he has a reason to come now.” My face heated up, but I didn’t say anything in response. “It’s nice what you two have.”

Still red-faced I attempted at scoffing. “What are you saying? You make it sound as if we’re a couple or something. I don’t even know how he feels about me.”

“He cares a lot about you.”  She rested her head next to mine.

Just to change the subject I said the first thing that came to my mind. “V care about you a lot too.”

I was expecting her to laugh it off or brush me off, but instead she turned red. “What are you even talking about? He treats everyone nicely.”

Her bashfulness encouraged me to push a bit more out of her. “He doesn’t buy stuffed animals for everyone. He definitely doesn’t look at anyone else the same way he looks at you.”

She turned her face away from me. “You’re crazy.”

I laughed in shock. “I’m crazy? Do you like him? Please tell me you do because he is so sweet.”

Without turning to face me she responded quickly. “He is more than sweet Lia. He is such a good person. I’ve been talking to him a lot so then I could get to know more about Namjoon, but I can’t help this feeling every time I’m with him. I’ve been thinking more about him than Namjoon lately, and it’s driving me nuts. All I have been thinking about lately is how I hope he’s my secret admirer, and yet at the same time I’m supposed to like Namjoon not V.”

I sat up straight excitement bursting in my chest. V really did it. He made Minyoon begin to feel the same towards him. “Who says you have to like Mr. Kim? Things change, and who knows maybe V is your admirer?”

Minyoon shook her head. “I don’t know, but that’s why I haven’t been able to sleep lately. Yesterday I got a message from my secret admirer to meet after school with him in the old building and that he was finally going to tell me who he was, and it just makes me nervous.”

I frowned. “Why?”

“What if it’s not him?”

Easily I could have just told her already that V was her admirer and that he liked her even more than she ever could know or understand, but I felt that that was for him to do. If he was planning on meeting with her then he clearly was ready to tell her how he really felt.

“You should definitely meet with him. You may be nervous, but you will regret it if you don’t because then you’ll never know the truth.”

Minyoon nodded her head. “That’s true. Either way I need to know.”

I smiled. “Exactly.”

The teacher decided to come in at that moment so then we ended our conversation, but all I could think about at that point was that I needed to know the truth too. I needed to be more like V.

He put himself out there and worked hard to get Minyoon to like him, and what was I doing? Moping around wondering how Jungkook really felt about me. 

Was this really how I wanted things to stay?

It seemed as though all of this was a game and we were all players in the game. Everyone was making their moves to win their end game, but I hadn’t made a single move from the start. All I had been doing was watching everyone else.

I couldn’t stay still anymore.

After classes ended for the day I went to the gym expecting to not see Jimin again, and my expectations were met, but half way through cleaning the dance studio I received a message from him.

Sorry I haven’t shown up that past couple days for cleaning, but please meet me back in the gym when you’re done cleaning the dance studio. We need to talk.

He had made his move.

I considered what to do while cleaning. I knew that I had to do something. I couldn’t leave things the way they were with everything. I had to finally make my move.

Despite how I was so motivated to figure something out I felt stuck. “This is harder than I made it out to be.”

 What was the right decision to make?

By the time I finished cleaning it was upon me that I had to do something, but just as I opened the text field with Jimin V walked into the studio.

“Oh Lia did you just finish cleaning?”

I cleared my throat. “Yeah, so I was going to leave now.”

He nodded his head the same toothy grin on his face. “Ah I see. I just came in to practice some of my moves for a bit.”

I was gathering my things still considering what to say to Jimin when I realized something. My eyebrows furrowed together. “Wait, weren’t you supposed to be meeting up with Minyoon after school in the old building?”

V matched my confused expression with his own. “What do you mean?”

“Didn’t you send her a message as her secret admirer?”

He shook his head. “No I didn’t send her anything.”

We both stood there for a few moments until it clicked what was happening. V’s face instantly turned pale in worry. “Someone is pretending to be me.”

I already had shouldered my bag, and was messaging Jimin that I couldn’t meet him because Minyoon needed my help. “Who would know that you were her secret admirer?”

In a flustered state he shook his head. “I don’t know it might be one of the girls who follow us around all the time. I’m not sure, but we have to go there now.”

Without saying anything else we both burst out into a sprint. We ran so fast out of the studio, but I could barely keep with V. His strides were much longer than mine, and he seemed even more panicked than me.

I attempted to ease him a bit even though I was worried as well. “Don’t worry Minyoon is a strong girl. She can handle herself too.”

V shook his head. I had never seen him act this way before. I was so used to V’s casual goofy self, but now he was serious and almost desperate to get there as soon as possible.

He really did care for her.

Our feet hammered against the linoleum floor, and our breath became haggard because of the distance of the building, but every extra second was another second Minyoon was in trouble.

As soon as the old building was upon us V picked up his speed and I lost track of him.

I was running down the halls trying to find where he was, but I couldn’t find him anywhere he ran so fast that.

It wasn’t until a few minutes of searching that I heard his voice. “Minyoon can you hear me?!”

He was standing in front

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter