09 "Like"

Rules of the Game
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Lia you wouldn’t guess what happened!” Minyoon had returned from the vending machine, and Jungkook had just delivered the bad news.

Clearly she couldn’t read the atmosphere because she continued talking even though I never responded to her or bothered guessing what happened. Jungkook the whole time was still with the same look of disappointment on his face.

“So I went to the vending machine right, but then on the way back I decided to stop by my locker and there was a rose taped to it with a note from my secret admirer!” She was bubbling over with excitement so despite how Jungkook finally opened his mouth to speak she spoke over him.

“It was so sweet whoever he is wrote to me that he has been admiring me for a while now and can’t even speak around me because of my beauty! I’m not one to fall for things so easily, but it was just so sweet, and he seemed so mature in the note.” Her eyes were searching mine for some sort of confirmation that I thought that it was awesome too, but all of my attention was focused on Jungkook and his B+.

Jungkook folded up his test then tightened his backpack strap. “I have to go.” He then walked off without even saying good bye.

Minyoon watched him leave with a sour look. “What’s wrong with him, being such a downer? Can’t he read the atmosphere?”

I shook my head, deciding that I had to go after him. “Nevermind I’ll talk to you later.”

She grabbed my arm, concern etched onto her face. “Wait, tell me what’s wrong. Is he being a jackass to you? I can handle him you know.”

Her persistency made me groan in frustration. “Fine, he got a B+ on his test. That’s what’s wrong.”

She frowned. “But, that’s good isn’t it?”

“He needed to get an A.”

This made her laugh clutching onto the rose in her hand. “Um, I know you’re old fashioned Lia, but getting a B+ nowadays especially in math is really good.”

“That’s not the point. We made a deal if he got an A then we would go to the dance together, but he didn’t get it. And, freaking Jimin just asked me to the dance too.”

The mention of what happened with Jimin made her eyes open even wider. “Jimin asked you?! You have to go with him! Don’t worry about going with me I will sacrifice myself so you can go with him.”

I sighed as I raked my fingers through my hair. “No you don’t have to do that. I mean… I don’t know if I can go with Jimin anymore.”

She scoffed. “Why can’t you go with him? It’s not like it will kill you or anything.”

“Yeah, but what about Jungkook he worked so hard to get an A. How would it make him feel if I just went with Jimin you know?”

Minyoon’s eyebrows furrowed together as she crossed her arms. “Why does it matter what Jungkook thinks? It’s your life.” Her eyes grew again. “Oh my god don’t tell me you’re getting some sort of mental Stockholm’s Syndrome with this whole slave thing.”

I rolled my eyes. “No! That is definitely not it!”

She pursed her lips, like they did every time she was thinking. Then her lips grew into a smirk. “Do you like Jeon Jungkook?”

This made me react even more violently. “No! Not even! What makes you think that?! I don’t even know where that came from!”

She raised her arms in defense with a nonchalant look on her face. “Hey, you’re the one that’s so concerned about him that you’re going to even reject Jimin. The guy you’ve had a crush on since you first met him.”

Now it was my turn to cross my arms. “I never said I was going to reject him. I’m just thinking about things that’s all.”

She smiled while shrugging her shoulders. “Ok, whatever you say. Speaking of Jimin don’t you have to go clean with him right now?”

I gasped. “Oh yeah I do. Crap.”

With that I ran off to the gym. A lot of thoughts were running through my head. One thing that was bugging me was where Jungkook could have possibly gone and how he felt. The other thing bothering me was what to do about Jimin, but most of all why was I so worried about Jungkook.

 I mean I guess it made sense, maybe since we’ve been getting along a bit better lately so we were friends somewhat?

Friends that argue a lot sure, but still friends in some way.

When I entered the gym Jimin was there already working away, but different from usual I didn’t feel the same tingle in my chest. Instead I was confused. How did I feel anymore really?

“Lia! Hey, I started a bit early, but some of the equipment still needs to be put away.”

I smiled at his figure in the middle of the court. His face smiling directly at me. Jimin really was a kind person. That’s why I liked him in the first place.

He was considerate too. The entire me we cleaned he didn’t mention the dance once or anything. On top of that he was a family guy, someone that cared for others.

Jungkook didn’t ever talk much about his mom or dad, and I mean he clearly doesn’t care for people as much as Jimin does, he did make me his slave. Jungkook was so annoying too, the way he acted as if he could do anything without even trying that hard.

Yet, at the same time that I was comparing Jungkook to Jimin my mind kept trying to defend how Jungkook really was a good person in his own way too.

Why was I even comparing Jimin and Jungkook in the first place?

The dance studio was our last place to clean and we were finishing up the last touches to our cleaning routine, and we had been working in silence in our own area peacefully until Jimin spoke.

“Hey, how do you know the guys who practice here?”

My head perked up. “”You mean Jhope, V, and Suga?” Jimin nodded his head. “Oh yeah them, and they mentioned Jeon Jungkook too right?”

There was a certain casualty to his voice, but more like he was trying to act casual about it. “Um, well Jungkook is my classmate and I was tutoring him in math. So I see him a lot, and since he’s friends with the others I see them too.”

He nodded once again casually, but it was making me suspicious the way he was acting. “I see. Well, I don’t know how to say this. I’m not trying to tell you what to do with your life or anything, but in my opinion I think you should just be a bit careful around those guys. Especially Jungkook.”

I frowned, now I really knew something was up. “What do you mean?”

This made him scratch the back of his neck awkwardly. “I mean Jeon Jungkook is bad news. He is just another stuck up rich kid that’s full of himself.”

Usually I would totally agree with him, but for some reason I was kind of offended. “I understand what you mean, but I mean I’ve gotten to know him a bit better and he’s not totally bad.”

He shook his head. “That’s what you think. I’m telling you if you aren’t careful you’ll just end up hurt.”

I was going to question him even further, but then suddenly the door to the studio opened and in walked the guys, including Jungkook.

As soon as the door closed behind them there was a tension in the room so thick, and Jungkook did not look happy seeing Jimin.

The others seemed to sense the tension too, but they were fully aware of the situation at hand unlike me.

Jimin turned to me. “I think everything is clean enough. I’ll see you tomorrow.”

I watched as Jimin quickly gathered all of his things and made his way for the door, which Jungkook was conveniently standing in front of.

He moved a step to the side just as Jimin came up to him, but then as he did that Jimin stopped in his quick pace then turned back to me, a smile on his face again.

“Oh Lia, tell me later about the dance. I’ll be fine with any answer.” My heart dropped. Right as he made his exit and the door closed behind him Jungkook’s eyes shifted over to me.

I was speechless. This was exactly what I was trying to avoid.

The others seemed to be frozen in their positions too even though Jimin had already left, his presence seemed to not have left with the words he parted on.

Despite how I could tell Jungkook was fed up he walked across the room to then drop his stuff against the wall and begin stretching in the center of the floor.

Jhope particularly seemed worried, while V just had a look of unease on his face. Suga on the other hand was the same as usual, but he didn’t bother looking at his phone instead he just stretched along with the others in silence.

It was killing me that he didn’t say anything, but at the same time what was the issue? Jungkook didn’t own me. I for sure didn’t have to tell him everything I did, and get his permission for anything.

Why was I so worried then?

I decided it would be best if I just left so I went to gather my things just as Jimin did earlier. I packed up all my things and made my way towards the studio door.

Just as I always about to reach for the door handle though Jungkook finally spoke up. “So you’re going to the dance with Jimin?”

It annoyed me how I was so worried about him and yet all he could do was boss me around as usual. I turned around. “How is that any of your busines

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter