27 Finale

Rules of the Game
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hey guys! So really quick because this is the last chapter I decided to do things a tiny bit differently. This chapter will be in both Jungkook and Lia's POV so enjoy!

Lia

His wife? What did he mean? Wasn’t his wife dead?

I glanced in Jungkook’s direction only to see him as confused as me. Quickly I turned my eyes back to the Dean before he could say anything about me cheating.

“Your wife?” The Dean nodded his head as if his wife weren’t dead. “That is what I said. Do you have a problem with that?”

Yeah, I had a lot of problems with that! Last time I checked his wife was dead. Although it wasn’t like I could tell him that. He must have meant something else. It couldn’t be his literal wife that he was talking about. There had to be more to it than that.

“There’s no problem.” All I could do was play by his rules. He smiled to me. “Well, then you better start looking. Remember you have until the sun sets, from the looks of it you are on limited time.”

I looked to Jungkook one more time. He seemed just as frustrated as I was, but he was bound by his father’s words and all he could do was give me a nod of his head.

He had confidence in me. I could not fail him now. I had to give it my all. I smiled in return to Jungkook. “I will be back before then.”

The Dean cleared his throat cutting my moment of reassurance with Jungkook short. “We will be waiting for you in my office.”

With that I my heel. Like the Dean said I was on limited time. So I could not waste a single second else it would all be over.

Jungkook

My father herded us all into his office. V nudged my shoulder. Then whispered to me under his breath. “Are you sure Lia is going to be alright?”

Suga came from my other side. “Yeah, I thought your mom was dead?”

Ignoring their questions I focused my gaze on my father who took a seat at his desk. “What are you planning?”

He looked to me from above his papers. “I don’t know what you are talking about.”

It pissed me off even more how he was feigning ignorance. He knew exactly what I was talking about.

“Stop bullting me!”

The tone of my voice clearly did not please him. He stood from his seat then pointed his finger to my direction. “I didn’t think I raised a son to talk so irrespectively. You never were this way until you met that girl.”

His words only made me scoff. “Raised? You didn’t raise me at all. And, I have always been this way you just never bothered to pay attention until now.”

My words seemed to strike a chord in him because his body stiffened noticeably and his lips thinned into a straight line. He always got this way every time I mentioned the truth.

He could say whatever he liked, but he could never deny the truth. And I knew that was exactly what would hurt him the most.

Despite how my words had hit him hard he recovered quickly. Most likely because of our audience. “Either way that girl agreed to this. So there is nothing left for you to say.”

After finalizing his words he then took his seat. Flipping through his papers once again.

I took this moment to cast my eyes around the room. Everyone seemed to be on edge. They all were worried about Lia, and at the same time pretending there wasn’t a looming tension over my father and I.

How far was he willing to go to take everything that mattered from me? Lia was important to me, and despite how most of the time I would give in. This time was different. I would not lose Lia.

“At least tell me what you are planning. Why did you tell her to look for my mother? We both know that she is dead.”

His gaze was on his papers, but everyone’s attention was on him now. After a few moments of silence he looked up to us all.

There was a look of nonchalance on his face. “Exactly, she will never find your mother because she is dead.”

I waited for him to say more, but he left it at that. The air of the room was so thick that it felt almost suffocating. It was because everyone realized the truth.

My father basically sent Lia on a wild goose hunt, and none of us could tell her the truth because we were bound by his stupid rules. If we did then Lia would lose anyways.

Either way though. My father never planned to let Lia win. He set her up to fail.

Lia

I stopped running for a brief moment to catch my breath. I had run around the entire school it felt, searching for something related to the Dean’s wife. Even at that I didn’t know anything really about Jungkook’s mother.

I checked the time. There was still at least half a day left, and I had been looking for probably hours already.

What did the Dean mean when he said his wife? Wasn’t she dead?

I kneeled to the ground so then I could fully evaluate the situation and at the same time cool off my head. Maybe I had to try and understand the way the Dean felt more.

He seemed to be a business man and that was the face he showed to everyone, but could there be more to him than that?

I wished that I knew more about him. That I had asked Jungkook more about his home life, or that I asked him more about what his father was like.

Anything could have helped by that point.

There was at least one thing I knew though. Whatever the Dean wanted me to find. It wasn’t actually his wife it had to be something related to his wife.  

I decided to go back to the main office and look around there. If it was something dear to the Dean then it could have been close to him.

He seemed like the type to keep what he treasured close to him. If anything he might have even kept it there instead of moving whatever it is because I would never notice something so close by.

I came up to the door to the main office, and I pushed it open ever so slightly. “I feel so bad for that Cho Lia girl.”

The door stopped short. I kept it open just enough so I could hear the conversation, but not get caught. Maybe this could help me.

“There’s nothing to feel bad about. She brought this upon herself. Besides the Dean is your employer it is not like you can question his methods.”

That voice was for sure the Dean’s secretary who never failed to glare at and ridicule me every chance she got.

“But still. Don’t you think that it is a bit much?” I strained to hear their conversation more clearly.

“No it is not. Like I said this is the Dean’s choice so we must abide by what he says. End of story.” Figures, that lady seemed like the type to stick to the rules and order of things.

“I don’t know I just can’t agree with this. That girl is never going to find his wife she is dead.”

My ears perked. They could possibly give away what I was supposed to search for.

“Exactly, did you think the Dean was really going to let that girl win?” I could hear the secretary’s scoff. I imagined her pushing her glasses up the bridge of her nose. “The Dean never planned on letting her win his game.”

He words made my heart nearly collapse. I could not bear to hear another word. Gradually I let the door close so then I would go unnoticed.

Once I felt the door come to a complete close I let my feet beat against the linoleum floors as I wanted to get as far as I could from that conversation.

What was I supposed to do now?

Jungkook

What was I supposed to do now?

It was hopeless for Lia to win when my father had never planned to let her win in the first place. I could feel the anger boiling inside of me, and I was just about to let it loose when someone else beat me to it.

“How could you do that?! It is not fair at all!” Minyoon pulled away from V’s grasp who most likely was trying to keep her from doing anything she would regret.

My father on the other hand did not react as much as I thought he would from her outburst. “This is not something for you to worry about.”

Minyoon stepped even closer to my father’s desk as if she were willing herself to not just pounce on him there. The rage was clear in her eyes though. “This is something for me to worry about. It is my best friend who you set up. So that makes this my concern too.”

She crossed her arms almost challenging him to say anything to her. “I won’t let you play her like this.”

Suddenly Suga stood from where he sat. “Maybe you aren’t that bad.” He looked to Minyoon with a lazy smile, but then turned his stare to my father. “I’m not going to just sit back and watch this either.”

V and Jhope followed Minyoon and Suga to the door. “We aren’t going to let you do this either.”

All of the anger in me subsided as I watched all my friends go in motion to help Lia. They really were good people.

I followed them as well to further establish the point for my father. “You can’t stop us.”

My father finally spoke. “You can go tell her this is all a fake out, but then she will lose because she had help from you all. No matter what you do you will only hurt her situation.”

We all stopped in our tracks. Damn it, he was right and we could not deny it. The nails of my fingers bit into the skin of my palms as I clenched my hands into tight fists.

“Mr. Jeon let’s be reasonable here. Shouldn’t you have given Ms. Cho a fair chance?” Mr. Kim faced my father with a stern look on his face. This was probably the most serious I had ever seen him.

“Mr. Kim I respect your opinion as my employee, but please let me handle my own problems.” He smiled to Mr. Kim, but it was definitely not sin

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter