25 One Condition

Rules of the Game
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I pushed through the terrain of the mountains. There were trees bombarding me from every direction and it was overwhelming even when searching for a person. I couldn’t even imagine what it would be like to try searching for a flower in there. On top of that a flower that didn’t even exist.

“Jungkook!” I yelled out hoping that along the way Jungkook would appear. He would hear my voice and we would be able to return before sunset, but as hours went by and morning began to turn into afternoon I realized that my hopes may not be met.

Where is he? Is he alright? Did he get hurt? Or even worse did something bad happen and now he can’t move at all and scream for help?

All of these possibilities were racing through my mind, and so before I could realize my surroundings it finally dawned on me.

I was lost too now.

My first priority was to find Jungkook and so I completely forgot about making sure that I knew the way out of the mountains. “Damn it Lia!”

What was the way back again? I had gone too deep in the mountains searching for Jungkook.

I decided to try and retrace my footsteps and hopefully on the way I would find Jungkook, but it was pointless. I was completely lost.

Just as I was beginning to think things could not get any worse an outgrown tree root caught my foot and I fell over. In the process I could feel the strain in my ankle as it stretched past a point of comfort.

A scream came out of me just as I came in contact with the ground. Luckily I braced my fall more with my hands causing them to get scraped up, but I could not manage to stand back up on my ankle. The injury I could tell wouldn’t last more than a day, but I definitely could not stand back up on my own.

For a few moments I sat there on the floor, and considered my options. In most situations it might seem more likely that I should stay there and wait for someone to find me, but then I remembered why I came into the mountains in the first place.

I still needed to find Jungkook, and I wasn’t leaving without him.

Wincing as I shifted my foot I got onto my hands and knees and began to crawl forward. There was no way in hell I was going to stay put. The more time that passed by the more of a chance I would never find Jungkook.

The cuts on my hand stung as I braced more of my weight on my hands then knees, but I continued to push forward telling myself that the pain would nullify itself.

Thoughts of doubt attacked me mercilessly, but I refused to give into them. The sun was already reaching a setting position, and as my senses perked up I began to hear things other than my own movements.

I shook my head. “No, it’s all in your head.” Although, the more I tried to debunk the noises the more they persisted.

My eyes glanced around until my eyes stopped on a fallen branch small enough for me to carry in my hand. If I had to I would defend myself.

There was snap from behind me. It was so close it felt like there was a presence right on my heels. My heart nearly stopped. I suddenly remembered all the stories my brother used to tell me about the mountain lions when we were kids. My parents always told me that he was lying and just trying to scare me, but what if he wasn’t lying?

I took a deep breath then after I gathered myself I flipped around and swung the branch wildly. I continued to do so until I saw the pair of shoes in front of me instead of paws.

“Lia, what happened?!” My eyes cast up to see Jungkook’s deep eyes looking right back at me. I found him.

“My dad lied. There isn’t a flower of redemption.”

This just made him scoff. “Yeah, I figured that out after the first few hours of searching.”

My eyebrows knit together in confusion. “Why didn’t you go back then?” I tried to shift my weight, but there was a sharp pain in my ankle causing me to wince.

Jungkook noticed my pain and pulled me up carrying me in his arms so then I didn’t put as much pressure on the bad ankle.

He smiled at me softly, but there was a tinge of worry. “Because I knew you would look for me once you found out the truth. I couldn’t just let you come in here on your own.”

Then without saying anything else he turned around and pulled me onto his back. My chest hit his back and I had to wrap my arms around his neck or else I would have fallen off.

“Hey, put me down! I can walk perfectly fine on my own.” He snorted proceeding to walk anyways. “Yeah, says the girl who was crawling on her hands and knees with a tree branch in her hand like some crazy woman.”

I forgot he found me that way. There was no point with arguing him so I gave in and rest my chin on his shoulder. “I don’t know what to do with you.”

His voice vibrated against my chest. “You make me worry so much it nearly drives me crazy.”

“Drives you crazy? I thought something bad was going to happen to you. That you were going to never come back.”

He tried to brush it off. “You’re making it sound so dramatic.” No he didn’t understand. He could have gotten lost like I did. He could have gotten hurt like I did, but then no one would be around to help him.

I realized that once again it was Jungkook who had saved me instead of the other way around.

I rested my forehead against his back. “I don’t understand why you have to do all of this. Why go this far?”

He did not hesitate for one second. “That’s because it’s you.”

My chest flared with frustration. “Even then!” He shrugged indifferently. “Why did you go after me then? You got lost and you got hurt in the end. Was it really worth it?”

He stumped me. “Well, that’s because…” I shook my head. “You know what my answer is already.”

A laugh vibrated against my chest. “Exactly, that is why I stayed. That is why I am doing all of this. In a relationship Lia it is all about giving and receiving.”

“But, I haven’t given you anything.” I could hear the smile in his voice. “You have given me happiness, completion, and memories I will forever treasure. That is enough for me.”

The blood in my body all rushed to my face. Even though he couldn’t see my face I buried it in his back. “That’s enough for me too. So please don’t push yourself anymore.”

His voice teasingly responded. “What was that last part? I couldn’t quite hear it?”

“I said don’t push yourself anymore idiot!” We both were laughing by then. “Was the idiot part necessary?”

I tried to breathe in between my laughs. “Yes, it really was!”

For the rest of the walk back home I told Jungkook about how my brother used to tell me stories about mountain lions, and how my brother always used to play pranks like that on me.

“He was so mean!” Jungkook laughed while nudging me playfully. “I’m not too sure about that I think you were the mean one probably.”

 I slapped his shoulder. “What?!” He shrugged. “Hey you were the one who called me an idiot earlier. I wouldn’t put it past you.” This led to me tickling him while he was vulnerable, which caused me to almost fall off his back.

Our conversation continued like this, and it was nice to talk about my brother for once in a way that wasn’t sad, regretful, or bitterly. It was as if I was re-living these happy memories, but I wasn’t sad they were only memories. I was grate

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter