Chapter 9

Together

Haneul’s POV

I took the keys out my pocket and opened the main gate. I watched as the main gate slowly opened, my heart started beating faster as I felt butterflies in my stomach. Rikku sshi must have noticed me tensed again as she reached out and held my hand again.

‘Haneul ah~ lets do this together. I’ll be beside you’ she gave me a reassuring smiled and lead me up the small slope towards the house. I followed behind her slowly building up my courage and heart for the words coming my way. Suddenly, I bumped into Rikku sshi who stopped and I looked towards where she was looking. I saw appa and aunt together with Yiseul laughing happily and chatting over some tea. I felt a thousand daggers stabbed  through my heart. Don’t appa miss me..? How could he sit here and laugh so happily? Does he not know I did not come home yesterday..?

‘Yah!’ I snapped out of my thoughts when I saw Rikku sshi marching up towards appa and punch him square in the face and I watched as appa fell on the floor. I race up to where they were and held Rikku sshi back.

‘Yah! What are you doing?!’ yelled aunt as she and Yiseul helped appa up. I wanted to help appa Rikku sshi held me back.

‘What are you doing? How could you call yourself a father?! How could you be laughing happily with a wretch and her daughter?! When your own flesh and blood is in front of you?!’ I looked down as I tried to blink away those tears that had been waiting to fall from the moment I saw them laughing happily.

‘Yah! *slap*’ I snapped my head up to see Rikku standing in front of me. She had protected me from that slap. My eyes woden as I saw Rikku sshi wiped the blood from the corner of her lips. I turn Rikku sshi around and check to see if she was okay. Instead she cupped my face and beamed up at me ‘Haneul ah~ Im glad that you’re okay!’ That’s it.

Suddenly, all the courage came towards me. I stood in front of aunt and slapped her hard across the face, shocking everyone. ‘This is for mistreating me all these years and hurting me.’ My appa grab my wrist and slap me hard across the face. Rikku sshi quickly push him away as she came to me to ask if I was okay. I stared at appa with tears falling down my cheek, my cheek stings more as the tears roll down.

‘From this day on, Im no longer Kim Haneul but Park Haneul. Im no longer your daughter and Im leaving this house. I’ll never come back. I would transfer school so stop paying it for me. Since Im such a bother to you and a disappointment, I shall disown myself. I hate you. Goodbye appa..’ with that I my heels and ignored their shock faces. I held Rikku sshi’s hand and we left the house. Whats there to take from the house.. all my clothes were never mine in the first place. I’ll work for new ones which belongs to me. After we left the house, my knees felt weak. Rikku sshi held onto me as she got a taxi.

‘Haneul ah~ are you okay?’ she asked me while holding my hand. I nodded my head. I turn to see her left cheek swollen. My heart hurt and I felt guilty I got Rikku sshi into this mess. How could I allow her to protect me from that slap? She beamed again.

‘You did good back there Haneul ah~’ how could she still smile at me after what happened.. I owe her too much.. After that incident, I followed her home and helped prepare the lunch for the members. Before leaving the house, Rikku sshi told me if Daehyun asked what happened her face, just agree with whatever she said later on. I felt even more worst, how could she still protect me after what happened? It was my fault that she got hit by the witch. 

However, I just nodded even if I feel guilty, I was a coward. I was afraid of being hated by Daehyun and the members cause I know how much she meant to them. When we reached the practice room, we place the food at the back of the practice room and set up the table.

While waiting for the members to finish practice, Rikku ssi who was pouring the drink was suddenly yanked away, causing the bottle of water she was holding to fall on the floor. Spilling it all on the floor. I who was in shocked turned to see what happen. All the members were shocked and confused at what happened. But Yongguk being the leader of the group told the members to go ahead and eat. I rushed out the room to get some paper towels to clean up the mess. When I found my roll of paper I was about to rush back to the practice room when I saw Daehyun pulling Rikku sshi and pinning her against the wall.

‘Yah~ Let go~’ I saw Daehyun looking very angry.

‘What happened?’ he asked trying to suppress his anger.

‘Nothing..’ Rikku sshi muttered and avoided eye contact. I saw Daehyun sigh before gently caressing her cheek. I could tell he was hurt by the look in his eyes.

‘Is she really worth the trouble..?’

‘Yes.. she is.’ When those words left her lips, I dropped the roll of paper towel in my hands. I felt even more guilty and all the emotions came rushing to me. I don’t know what to do. I kept looking around and I saw them looking my way. I don’t know what to do.

Suddenly, someone grab my arm and spin me around and pulling me away. I just followed not knowing anything. I saw the person’s back view. It was strong and it looks like this person had been through a lot. But at the same time, this person’s back kinda gives me strength. We were climbing the stairs, seems like we are going to the rooftop. I cant stop staring at his back view. The way he leads me makes me feel safe. He kicked the door opened and we were at the rooftop. He yanked me into the centre before he stood in front of me.