Coach Choi

For The Love of Dance

You woke early in the morning to shower and get yourself awake and ready to gomeet Junhong at the primary school.

Your parents didn't quite know that the two of you were newly dating, you knew you would tell them eventually but it was still too early. Your mum was the one dropping you off, and at this point she was still under the impression that the two of you were just becoming close friends. Which wasn't totally a lie.

You arrived at the gate, and the school was dead. it wasn't a normal school day obviously it was a Saturday after all, no kids, no teachers, absolutely nobody to be seen...at least at the front of the school. You et your mum drive off, and you got your phone out to text Junhong and tell him you were here, while heading in the direction that you thought the oval would be.

"Stay at the gate i'll come get you :)" he texted back after you told him that you were here. You stopped in your path, you hadn't really gone that far anyway.

You waited around for a while looking at the building at the school, thinking about the fact that this was the primary school that Junhong went to. Not that primary school was that important, you hardly remembered your primary school days now, but it was interesting to see the kind of place he spent his younger years and growing up.

And there was lots of buildings to look at, you spotted something that looked like a library, posters on the window part of the doors, displaying books that were inside. It had been so long since you had been at primary school, those kinds of books seemed like they were for babies.

A long building across from that that looked like it had a bunch of classrooms in it, posters and paper people all sticky-taped to the windows, displaying the kids beatiful artwork. It made you smile, remembering how simpler life was back then. Even all the asphalt that surrounded you had chalk drawings all over it, there was a few different types of hop-scotch grids drawn up and you stepped over to one of them and hopped in it a few times, smiling to yourself, remembering your childhood.

"Having fun?" you heard a voice behind you. Junhong. What timing, the second you start acting like a child, he turns up to get you. Yout turned to look at him, he was in his soccer coach outfit, he had a whistle around his neck, and was a proper coach shirt from the school and his typical shorts that he always wore. You laughed and defended yourself.

"Yeah I am." you stated.

He just laughed at you, and reached out to grab your hand, "c'mon"

You took his hand as he walked you to where all his little soccer stars were, waiting for their Coach Choi to get back.

As you turned up you saw some of the kids look at you, obviously confused as to who you were, they'd never seen you in their lives before this moment. Junhong took you over to a bench and told you you could sit there to watch for the day.

"Alright kids, today I've brought my friend, Rina along to help me out. She's my assistant coach for today." he said to around 20 kids, that all looked around the age of 10, they were sat with their legs crossed in front of him on the oval.

"Hi Rina." almost all of them said in unison. You smiled and waved at all of them saying Hi back. They were already proving to be really cute kids, some of them were whispering amongst themselves, some of them looked like trouble makers, and there was one kid who was just daydreaming, oblivious to everything. He was probably not the best soccer player...

Junhong went on to explain what they were going to be doing today, "We'll do a warm up, and then some partner games, and then we'll split into two teams and do a practice game, okay?" they all nodded, "Any questions?" as soon as he asked, quite a few kids shot their hands up.

He pointed to a boy whose fringe was so long you weren't sure if he could actually see, "yes, Daesung?"

the little boy spoke up, "Uhm, Coach Choi...is she your girlfriend?" all the kids giggled at the same time, it even made you want to giggle too. He asked the question with such innocence. You looked at Junhong who was also smiling awkwardly.

Junhong turned to you now and you gave him an anticipating look, like you were waiting for him to answer the question as well. "I'll be honest with you guys. Yes she is," you knew that was the answer but hearing him say it made your heart flutter a little bit, and the kids giggled even more but he tried to change the subject quickly, "now any questions about soccer?" he asked a little annoyed, but how could he stay mad at such cute kids.

"She's pretty." another boy said quietly. Not so much a question, but he made me laugh. These kids were so cute.

"Coach Choi!" another kid shot his hand up, "Are you gonna marry her?" they all started laughing a little louder now. You couldn't help but laugh too, you didn't know coming along today would cause so much commotion with these kids.

"That's it, it's time to warm up, everyone get up! two laps around the oval! go go!" he clapped his hands and raised his voice getting everyone pumped up now. They did as he said and get up off the floor and started running around the oval. They were obedient kids, they just liked to push Junhong's buttons it seemed. As they ran past you you clapped and encouraged them as well, still laughing from question time.

You turned and saw Junhong stepping towards you with an exhausted look on his face, he was still laughing to himself as well, seeming a little embarrassed. "They're not normally like this." he laughed a little bit.

"They're cute though! I like them." you said, watching the small stampeed of kids about to run past you again on their second lap. You cheered for them again, holding out your hand this time to get high-fives from them as they ran past you. You never thought you were that good with kids, but these ones were cool. You could get used to hanging out with these kids.

Junhong started getting a few soccer balls out of his training bag, getting ready for the next task. As the kids came and gathered in a big group after they finished their second lap. He asked you to stand up off the bench to help him with a demonstration.

He asked the kids to pick a partner and do a simple passing exercise with them, and he used you to demonstrate how to do so in partners. You thought you might have been getting involved somehow today, you didn't think it would be this fun. After a while there was more and more partner tasks that he made the kids do, using you to help with the initial example, even though you weren't that good at soccer, in fact you were terrible, you were probably not the right person to help. One of the kids probably could have done a better demonstration than you, but you entertained the kids with your lack of skills, they found it funny when you didn't do it how Junhong wanted to it be, and that was okay. We were all having fun today.

By the end of the training, it was time for the kids to split into two teams and play a mini soccer match against each other for practice.

Junhong was assigning who was going to be in what teams when one of the kids piped up, "Coach Choi, are you and your girlfriend gonna be playing too?" nice to know the kids remembered my name. You didn't really want to play, but if the kids wanted you to you would do it.

Junhong looked at you, "I don't know if she wants to, Soonyoung." you shrugged as he looked at you.

"I don't know if I'll be much help to the team" you laughed, feeling a bit embarrassed.

"Ah, what about this," Junhong said like he had a great idea, "What if Rina and I are the goal keepers for each of your teams?" the kids seemed happy with that idea. Goal keepers? You knew nothing about goal keeping! but you were going to give it a shot anyway.

You took your place in front of the goal, feeling quite nervous, these were only little kids what were you nervous for? Junhong's team seemed a bit more confident seeming as all the kids knew of my soccer skills. It didn't help that you got distracted a few times just watching Junhong over the other side of the oval being cute with the kids and good at goal keeping. There surprisingly wasn't that many instances where you had to keep you goal, your team was doing great at keeping Junhong's team away from the goal without my help. These kids were really good at soccer, you were totally impressed. Junhong seemed to have taught them well. You might have let one or two balls into the goal, and therefore made your team lose, but the kids didn't seem that upset. They all still looked like they were having fun. And you had fun too.

As the practice session was coming to a close, Junhong made the kids do some stretches to cool down after playing their match of soccer, and the kids parents started turning up to pick their kids up. Once all the kids had left, Junhong asked you to help pack things up, and you went out to the oval to pick up some cones that were set out to mark the soccer field. At the same time he was packing all the soccer balls back into the bag and gathering his own bag as well.

Junhong had the key to the gym, and he had to put all the things away in the little storage room they had for all the equipment. The both of you went in there, he dumped the bag into a corner and told you where to put the cones on one of the shelves.

"Did you have fun today?" he asked before you stepped out of the storage room.

You nodded and smiled brightly, "I really did, those kids were a lot of fun." you laughed, "and really good at soccer. You must have taught them well."

He laughed, "well, they have learnt from the best y'know." you laughed, although not too impressed with his cockiness. you nodded a bit, taking it in a sarcastic manner.

You left the storage room, and the gym, and Junhong locked everything up behind him. You had already texted your mum to come and pick you up so she was already on her way. Junhong was catching the bus home, but he waited with you at the gate until your mum showed up.

"I'm going to go to the studio to paractice again on Tuesday if you wanted to join me again?" he piped up while you were waiting.

"Tuesday? what time?" you asked.

"It's not until the evening this time, around 6, is that okay?"

You nodded, "yeah that should be okay." you smiled.

Something about the atmosphere felt awkward, maybe it was because he knew your mum didn't know what was going on and didn't want to risk being close to you incase she turned up. You figured that was fair enough, you probably didn't want to take the risk either. But you really had to tell your mum about this if that was the case. Part of you could tell he was dying to hold your hand or do skinship of some kind.

Right on cue, your mum drove up to the front gate, slowing to a stop right in front of you. You turned to Junhong to give him a friendly hug before you departed.

As you hugged he leaned down, getting closer to your ear and whispered, "can you please tell her?" before coming out of the hug. You smiled at him and nodded slightly before saying goodbye. So it was the reason things were awkward after all.

You got in the car happily, but you still weren't really ready to tell her yet. You had to think out exactly what you were going to say to her...