Concert Night

For The Love of Dance

Friday night was finally here, all your exams were finally over. They were all done and out of the way and you felt pretty confident with how you handled yourself and how well you answered all the questions for each of your exams. You weren't ever one to strive for the top of your class, you were happy with a pass. Your parents never really put a lot of pressure on you to be the best, they were happy if you were passing. And you felt good about your answers and your writing.

By now you were incredibly tired and ready to relax, without the worry of exams or studying. You could just sit back and start to think about the concert now.

Right, the concert. The more you thought about it the more a knot started to form in your stomach. It wasn't the first time you had ever dances on a stage efore, you had done it plenty of times before, but it had just been so long since you had been on a stage. Something about this time felt different. The people in your class were starting to feel more like a family to you now, whereas previous dance classes you were too young to appreciate all the people and the dancing the same way that you do now. You wanted to do well not only for yourself, but for the team and that put a little extra pressure on yourself.

There was no denying you were more than excited about it, but only now, the night before the concert, was it starting to dawn on you just how incredibly close it was now.

No matter how tired you were from all your exams, exhausted in fact, you still couldn't get to sleep easily tonight. The nerves were eating away at you and your brain wouldn't keep quiet, it wouldn't stop thinking about the concert and it wouldn't stop thinking about Junhong. You realised you not only wanted to do well for you and the team, but for him. Part of you just wanted to make him a proud teacher. You knew you had improved since the first day you got to that class, and you just wanted to really make it known how much he helped you get to where you are now.

~~~

With only around 5 hours of sleep that you managed to get, you were full of excitement and nerves in the morning, readying yourself for tonight. The doors of the theatre opened for the audience at 7, performances starting at 8 and going until 9:45. You had to be there and in your assigned backstage room at 4. They had one room set up for all the different classes, so you were stuck with your class mates for the day, not that you were complaining.

The room was more than big enough to fit the 12 students of Junhong's class, and two of the walls had a laminated timetable of the day posted to them. You could see that you were about three quarters of the way down on the list of performances. Rehearsals were going ahead in the same order so you still had a bit of time before you had to go in to rehearse.

The class sat around the room trying to keep relaxed and just hang out before you all had to go down for the rehearsal.

"So are your parents coming to watch today?" Hoseok asked you, as you both sat on the only two uncomfortable chairs in your backstage room.

"Yeah! My brother is coming along too," you smiled.

"and I assume Youngjae will be too" you nodded, him laughing at you knowing that you two were almost attached at the hip.

"I invited my friend Minju along too, the girl you met outside the studio that day." you mentioned to him, making him smile, "she might be coming too."

"Ah okay, good..." he was nodding to himself, looking like a bit of a dork, he paused for a long second, before mumbling "She was pretty cute." you snorted, you knew he thought she was cute.

"She is pretty cool....and single, you should talk to her." he laughed at you a bit, great way of dropping subtle hints, Rina., "What about you are your parents coming?"

He nodded happily, "Of course, and my older sister." you smiled.

"What about you Jimin?" you turned to Jimin who was sitting on the floor next to you like the rest of the students.

"Oh, my parents are busy with the cafe tonight so they can't make it." his words came very casually but they made you feel sad, why would they give up coming to see their son perform to take care of a store? "But my girlfriend should be coming." his tone brightened, at least someone was coming to support him.

Everyone changed into their costumes before the rehearsal, there was still a lot of time spent just sitting around waiting for your turn, but once you all got called to go to the stage for rehearsal it hit you that this was really happening. All at once, the anxiety, the excitement and the nausea taking overyour body, you weren't even sure if you could walk out on to the stage. And this was just for the rehearsal.

You somehow managed to get yourself to the wings of the stage, you handt been inside the theatre yet and now you were about to experience it from the view of the stage itself and that was scaring you a bit. You got the okay to get into position on stage and as you struggled to step out, you felt a hand pat your back a couple of times. You turned your head to see Junhong smiling at you, looking way more confident and excited than he did last week. You couldn't help but smile back and the same determination that you felt to make him proud rushed through you and you suddenly gained more courage to step out to the stage and get through the rehearsal with confidence.

Getting into position with the class, you waited for the music to start and you started dancing. Going over it with effort but not to the extent of the actual performance, you would do it properly when it came time, everyone was just really going over the notions at this point too. As you were dancing you realised how confident you were with the dance, it was all coming naturally you didn't have to think about the moves so much as just let your body move. You reminded yourself about completing the moves like Junhong had told you to in your one on one session weeks and weeks ago.

Rehearsal was done and you were heading to the backstage room with the class. Junhong came and walked next to you, starting a conversation with you.

"You nervous now?" he teased a little, maybe noticing your hesitation when you went to step on stage.

You nodded slowly, "Yeah," you thought for a second, "but I feel good about it" he smiled at you, "it's gonna be fun, I'm ready." the nerves were all still there, but you were trying to turn them into positive energy and you really did feel ready to go out there and do the real thing. He seemed happy about the performance too, and now part of you couldn't wait until you went to the stage again.

You spent a lot of time just hanging out in the backstage room with your classmates before you had to go on stage. The performances had started at 8 like they were scheduled, and you didn't have to go out there until around 9, so you all had a lot of time to kill. Junhong had left a bit earlier to do one of his other routines, but his second routine wasn't until after our piece. He had to do a dance with all the other teachers to close the night. Returning back from the first performance almost out of breathe he came back, telling us all about the audience out there. He said there was a lot of people out there, they probably filled up over half the seats in the theatre, and it was a pretty descent sized theatre. The thought of so many people out there made that knot in your stomach become tighter and you were unable to turn your nerves into positive energy again.

When he was talking about it he was talking to the whole class, but you tried to stop hearing the words that were making you more nervous and took your phone out of your bag and pretended you were doing something on it, when really you were just checking old messages and looking through your pictures. Anything to try and take your mind off the nervousness before you had to go back out there. The class all started talking to one another about the dance and the audience and how nervous they all were now as well. You were gladthat everyone else was nervous too but you felt like you were about to start having a panic attack if you thought about it too much.

"You okay?" Junhong's voice spoke quietly next to you. You looked up, smiling and locking the screen on your phone before he could see that you were just flicking through pictures of your favourite celebrities you had saved on your phone.

You nodded, "Yeah~ of course! I'm so ready to go out there and dance in front of all those people." he laughed a little, okay so you may have sounded a little sarcastic.

"I know you're nervous, it's okay." he rubbed your arm softly, "we got this." he said raising a closed fist.

"Intermediate Hip Hop to the wings now!" the voice of the backstage hand said at the door of our room. The class exchanged a few high fives and fist bumps and 'fighting's before heading to the wings, readying themselves for the performance. You were ready too, you knew you could do this. Positive energy.

At the wings now, Junhong stood behind you, placing his hands on your shoulders as you waited for the performance before yours to finish up. As the lights dimmed and they ran off stage, your class all ran on, Junhong patting your shoulders before you all got into position. Why was it just you? Why was he supporting you the whole time and not the whole class, everyone was nervous too? More importantly why were you thinking about this now, the lights were still dimmed, you had a performance to do.

The lights came up and the music started. You did exactly how you did in rehearsal, but with more energy, more effort, more umph. You felt exhilirated being on stage, you felt happy. Extend. Complete the moves. Make Junhong proud to have taught you. Have fun with it.

That was it. The performance was over, the lights dimmed again and you started running to he wings to get off stage. The audience were clapping and cheering for your performance, there was not a moment where you had felt happier. you didn't make a mistake, you just kept calm and let your body dance.

Everyone else seemed happy when we got back to our backstage room, everyone was high fiving each other happy with how well we performed, a lot of 'yeah!'s filled the room. You still had to keep relatively quiet for the other performances though, but you were far enough away from the stage that it was okay to be a bit loud. You excitedly high fived Hoseok and Jimin and Kim and all of your classmates. Suddenly a pair of arms wrapped around your waist, what was happening? You were being lifted into the air by Junhong, your arms grabbing his shoulders. The nervous knot in your stomach from before had come back, but for a much different reason now.

"Yeeaahh!" he happily exclaimed before letting you back down and laughing. Your face was going red but you had to laugh too, Hoseok and Jimin throwing the two of you cheeky looks. You knew they were both more than aware of how you and Junhong felt about each other, but neither of you had said anything to each other and it was starting to kill you. You didn't know what to say, or how o when to say it. All you knew was you felt it and you were sure he felt it too.

You all settled down from your after-performance excitement and were just hanging out once again. It had been a long day and you were ready to go home but you knew there was an after party to come after this part of the night was over. That wouldn't be so bad would it, Youngjae was coming with you, that made you a little more excited. Also there was going to be drinks courtesy of the dance studio, you weren't going to say no to free drinks.

Junhong ran off one last time to do the final performance with the other teachers. When he came back he gathered all of you to head back out on stage with all of the other students who performed in one of the dances for the night. Everyone headed out to the stage for one huge bow and the audience was clapping and cheering once again, louder than ever. You felt happy that you had done what you had done today and you were both glad and upset that it was already over.

Once all your stuff was packed up in the backstage room everyone was heading out to the foyer of the theatre to meet their families and friends who had come to see them, you went out to go see your family as well as Youngjae and Minju. As soon as you spotted them in the foyer amongst the other families, you ran to them with a big smile, them all smiling back at you, your parents both hugged you and told you what a great job you did.

"That was pretty cool." Yoongi smiled at you, that was a lot coming from your brother he never really cared about dancing but he seemed impressed with your classes performance, as well as all the other performances.

Youngjae was as supportive as ever and told you how cool you looked dancing in the front of your class. And Minju said roughly the same, agreeing with Youngjae before quickly changing the subject, "You're right Hoseok is a great dancer." You laughed at her, nodding. She didn't need to tell you. You thanked them all for their kind words and of course for coming to watch.

"And to think, if you hadn't found those dance videos all that time ago, you wouldn't have been here." Your mum said to you, pulling you into a side hug. She didn't take you seriously when you first mentioned it back then, but now she seemed proud of you. And that made you feel really happy.

Your parents already knew about the after party happening and they knew you were taking Youngjae with you, they left to go back home and you told them you would see them when you were done. Minju had to leave to go home so she couldn't come to the after party unfortunately, you would have set her up with Hoseok somehow.

You took Youngjae with you and went to meet up with Hoseok, Jimin and Junhong and maybe you could all head to the hall that the after party was being held together. You managed to find Hoseok and Junhong okay and you guys all stuck together as you tried to find Jimin. There seemed to be no sign of him, you didn't know where he would have gone.

It started to become a bit of a concern, you looked around all of the foyer trying to find him but he wasn't anywhere, so you headed back to the backstage room, maybe he had forgot something in his bag you all thought. As you stepped in you saw him sitting in the corner of the room with a sad expression on his face. All of you were shocked to find him looking so upset after such a energetic night.

"What's wrong man?" Hoseok asked, walking over to him to sit down. Jimin looked up noticing all of us were there watching, Hoseok turned to us and signaled for us to leave the room and give them some privacy. As much as you were concerned about Jimin you respected that he probably didn't want us all knowing why he was upset, it might have been very personal.

You waited outside with Youngjae and Junhong as Hoseok sat inside talking to Jimin.

"I hope he's okay." you said to the two of them, they just nodded and frowned.



WOW! so that was a hella long chapter! Sorry for how long it was but it was one eventful night! couldn't miss out on anything haha.
Stayed tuned for the next chapterrrr~~~ what's wrong with Jimin?? :((((