[JongYu] Good weird

Love's the same, yet different

Pairing: Jongyu
Rating: G
Length: 4524 words
Prompt: Jongyu and phones
A/N: this is another one that had quite a bit of success on tumblr (compared to the other ones, I mean) and it was also my first jongyu ever ; u ; I got inspired from something that really happened to my best friend lol I hope you'll like it as well! Let me know in the comments: constructive criticism and feedback in general are always appreciated! Last but not least thank you a lot to all of you for you attention; for following me, reading and commenting <3 

 


 

 

 

“Hello!”

“Hel—”

Jonghyun heard a loud rustling noise on the other side of the line and had to detach the phone from his ear because getting deaf still didn’t sound that much appealing to him. The sound of accidentally pressed buttons and a soft “” followed soon after, making his lips quirk up a bit into an amused smile. He boringly tapped his pen against the desk, while waiting for the other to stop whatever he was doing and finally pay attention to him again.

“Hello,” the guy repeated, slightly out of breath “I’m sorry, I dropped my cell”. That voice sounded thick and melodious, Jonghyun absentmindedly noticed, before dismissing the thought as quick as it had come.

“No problem, Mr…Lee.” He had quickly checked the name on his list “I’m calling on behalf of your mobile phone operator to inform you about our new offers.”

By now he didn’t even need to check his papers anymore: he had repeated those exact words so many times already, that they kept tumbling out of his mouth with him barely being aware of pronouncing them. It was the same every day - that was his dull life. It had become such a normal routine for him, making a phone call after another, that he could predict their dynamics from the very first words of their conversation - the costumer would either coldly reject his offer or directly tell him to off.

So he was flabbergasted when neither of the outcomes got true.

“Oh, it’s you! Finally! I’ve been waiting for your call for a couple of days, now.”

…had the man mistaken him for a friend making a prank call or something?

"Err, actually—”

“You’re not Kibum, though.”

Kibum? Wasn’t he the weird guy with the pink fringe and ridiculously huge specs?

“No, I’m not. I’m one of his colleagues.”

“I see.” the costumer melodiously chuckled “well, this is nice. Kibum was no fun to talk with. He just kept nagging and insisting he had to go back to work.” Jonghyun was sure he could feel the other’s pout, without even seeing it, “So…what are you going to offer me today?” His question sounded like a happy chirp but Jonghyun didn’t mind. It was certainly a much better alternative to the usual, unoriginal insults.

“Well, we have a new, fabulous offer for your text messages, sir—”

“Not interested, thanks.” was the curt reply, as expected.

Jonghyun crossed the name out of the list, taking a quick look at the one right below and preparing himself to politely tell goodbye to the costumer. But that voice interrupted him once again, before he could even open his mouth and let out the words.

“How’s the weather there?”

…what?

“Here’s quite cloudy,” the guy kept on blabbering. “Aaah, such a hassle, really. I even forgot my umbrella at home.”

He must have been nuts, Jonghyun reasoned in his head.

“Sir, I should—”

“So?”

Was he really trying to make small talk like he had nothing better to do?

This was new.

And weird.

But…well, nice.

He took a last look around, to make sure no one was there to tattle he was about to chit chat with a costumer, instead of actually working. When he got sure the coast was clear, he finally sighed in relief and decided to go with the flow - he was tired of fighting all the days with clients, he could use some distractions.

“It’s— well, it’s a bit cloudy here as well, but it’s not that bad.”

“Oh, lucky you~”

Jonghyun laughed out loud at the teasing tone the other had used, quickly loosening himself up.

“I would be, if I wasn’t stuck here, talking about ‘revolutionary offers’.”

“You have a point, I guess…”

“Jonghyun.” He finished off for him.

“Nice to meet— well, hear you. I’m Jinki.” There was a smile hidden in those words and Jonghyun found himself constructing a face and a story for that unknown man on the other side of the phone.

"You have a nice voice,” he couldn’t help but say, feeling a bit stupid at the chuckle he had instigated. He was used to awkward moments - he was a pro at speaking before thinking - so he didn’t make a big deal out of it, just waiting for a teasing response from Jinki.

“Thanks, you’re not the first one who tells me. Yours is nice as well! It’s a pity you work for a phone operator.”

“I do gigs sometimes—”

“Really?” the other quickly interrupted, a hint of awe in his words and Jonghyun felt weirdly proud. “Where?”

“Oh…well, in several pubs, but there’s one where they often request me. It’s nice.”

“Yep, sounds so. I don’t have much time…but this weekend I’ll be in Seoul for work” he didn’t specify anything, and Jonghyun would have liked to ask, but couldn’t because he was getting a bit nervous. “I may come take a look—nope, listen, I guess.”

"I think— well, I don’t know.”

This phone call was taking a weird turn and, even though he liked it somehow…he wasn’t sure what to think of it. Another soft chuckle though dismissed those strange thoughts twirling out in his head.

“Okay, we’ll see. Now I gotta go…work is calling! But I hope I’ll hear you soon. I can’t wait for other 'marvelous' message texts packs, you know?“ he teased, making the other boy laugh once again - his life seeming less dull right now and he didn’t even know how that could be possible.

"I like you more than Kibum. You’re more fun to talk to.” Those last words before the line went off left him speechless, to the point that he was left gaping at the wall for a second or two - the list on his desk definitely forgotten.

That had been the first time a costumer had flirted up with him and…, it had been weird.

But, Jonghyun thought with a small smile, a good weird.

He suddenly found himself wishing for Kibum to take days off more often, in the near future.