[JongKey] Time

Love's the same, yet different

Pairing: JongKey
Rating: G
Length: 436 words
Prompt: write about a reunion
A/N: I'm really sorry for the long delay :( I've been a bit busy in the past days! Do you want me to do a double update to compensate? Let me know! :) In the mean time, I hope you'll enjoy this simple drabble!

 

 


 

 

Kibum hadn’t seen Jonghyun for six years.

He almost hadn’t recognized him once he spotted him among the modest crowd filling up his grandma’s house, and a sudden surge of nostalgic memories had hit him in an instant.
Even though they had tried keeping contact for the first years, life had gradually changed - there were new friends for Kibum to spend his time with, a new home and work work work. They had slowly disappeared from each other’s lives like that, without meaning to and with no regrets, up to the point where they had become just an old memory that sometimes liked to resurface. 

Now Jonghyun wasn’t a shadow of his high school years anymore, though. He was a handsome man without pimples on his chin, with anonimous black hair and a sorrowful gaze that slowly ate up every speck of Kibum’s crying form. 

The younger felt so pathetic. 

That wasn’t how he had imagined their reunion: he had sometimes fantasized about meeting again in Seoul and going out to catch up with the flow of events they had missed. He had dreamed of laughs and drunken chats, of calling cabs and exchanging numbers again. He hadn’t thought they would sit next to each other on that old, green couch - without his grandma bringing them cookies, this time around.

“I’m sorry for your loss.” Kibum heard a voice -that voice- murmur in his ear and bring another surge of tears down his cheeks. “I know you really loved her.”

The younger didn’t say anything to that, he just grabbed Jonghyun’s hand and held it tight, looking for a comfort the other couldn’t possibly offer him. He sniffled a couple of times, feeling like a child somehow, in his insecure state.

 

Among all the messy thoughts that crossed his mind while they stayed like that, there was one he couldn’t somehow dismiss under his pain.
Would have they ever met each other again, if only his grandma wouldn’t have told him goodbye that precise day? Would have Jonghyun been in Daegu, if it had been another time, or would have he cared?
He couldn’t know the answer, but kept wondering about it anyway, because he had never realized how much he whished for him and his warm embrace to be back again in his life.

“I missed you.” He whispered then; and he felt like the elder was trying to mend his soul when he told him back “I missed you too”.

It would probably take time, but Kibum trusted Jonghyun and he knew he could bring a smile back to his lips again.