Chapter 7: Mister Snowy

Phantom Crimes [DISCONTINUED]
Please log in to read the full chapter

“Hold on for a second. You guys are going out for a date today?” Baekhyun looked at them in astonishment.

 

“Yes.”

 

“No!” Kyungsoo grabbed hard on Jongin’s neck before he could say something ridiculous. Jongin froze and didn’t dare to move. “It’s not a date. Suho-hyung gave us another day off and I don’t want to stay entire day in the room.”

 

“So, you guys are going out for a date.” Baekhyun repeated and Kyungsoo scowled. It’s seven in the morning and it’s a routine for them go to work at eight. Kyungsoo already cooked them breakfast, so it saved them some money. Just for today, Kyungsoo didn’t have to go work due to Junmyeon’s order, which made Baekhyun ask why Kyungsoo and Jongin didn’t wear their office outfit.

 

“Do you really want me to do this?” Kyungsoo released the grip on scaredy-cat Jongin and slowly approached closer to Baekhyun.

 

Baekhyun hastily covered his own neck with one hand, while preventing Kyungsoo to come closer. “On a second thought, I take my word back. Sorry.” Baekhyun chickened out.

 

Chanyeol grinned as he fixed his winter jacket in front of a mirror. He’s been listening to the conversation and he dared to talk on the next move. “Baekhyunnie, you should respect Junmyeon-hyung for giving them a room today. They didn’t have a proper date, did they? Those cases always made them busy even though they’re always stick together. Today it’s their special day to do whatever they want, like holding hands or-- ackk!!” Chanyeol yelped in pain.

 

Kyungsoo was already grabbing on Chanyeol’s neck, harder than he did to Jongin. The demonic side of him had appeared. “Dare to say that again? Huh?!”

 

“Mayday! Mayday! Requesting for backup! Help!!” Kyungsoo had enough of him. He knocked him down to the floor and Chanyeol squirmed helplessly. Baekhyun ignored the fuss and headed over Jongin. His voice was almost whisper, trying not to make it heard by Kyungsoo.

 

“Are you sure this is a good idea? After you told me what happened to Kyungsoo yesterday, I would rather stay home. Everything out there could be a mess.” Jongin changed his glance from Kyungsoo to Baekhyun.

 

“I would say the same thing to Kyungsoo-hyung if I were you. But he won’t listen.” Jongin shook his head and Baekhyun sighed.

 

“Try to distract him as much as you can. He’s more comfortable when you’re around. Also I’ll be taking him for medical checkup tomorrow. Can you cover his work?”

 

“Sure do, hyung.” Jongin nodded as Baekhyun gave him a small pat on the shoulder before breaking the fight between Kyungsoo and Chanyeol.

 

“As much I want to watch how the fight ends, we have important highlights to catch up.” Baekhyun pulled Chanyeol up as he brushed himself. Kyungsoo took his time to grab two lunch bags he made during breakfast and passed to them.

 

“These should cover your lunch break. Not sure about dinner though. You guys aren’t busy today?” Kyungsoo asked as Chanyeol picked the lunch bags before thanking him.

 

“Depends on Sehun’s report. Usually on the first day of snow, there will be accidents everywhere due to slippery roads. Those aren’t our type of news, and yet we still have to make a report. But we’ll give you guys a call when we’re free. Oh, and thanks for the lunch.” Baekhyun said as he tied his shoes. After they waved goodbye to their friends, Kyungsoo turned back to the kitchen, checking their rations. Jongin approached after him, getting himself a cereal for breakfast.

 

As expected, Kyungsoo couldn’t stay longer then he used to be. Knowing their rations are running out, he used the time today to go to grocery store. Kyungsoo waited patiently, the stores won’t open before nine in the morning. So he used the remaining time to read a novel. As for Jongin, he respects Kyungsoo not to bother his reading time. He watched the morning news just to keep himself updated, including the news about the murder of the roller coaster ride. He drew a satisfying smile when the worker he questioned yesterday was found guilty.

 

It was nine in the morning and they were already walking out from their apartment. Kyungsoo was immersed in his thoughts about groceries while Jongin silently followed behind him.

 

‘Try to distract him as much as you can.’

 

Jongin suddenly remembered Baekhyun’s advice. He should distract Kyungsoo from thinking too much.

 

“Hyung.” Jongin called him.

 

Kyungsoo turned around to face Jongin, but his legs didn’t stop walking.

 

“Let’s walk around first. It's still early to buy groceries, don’t you think? We can look for them after lunch.”

 

Kyungsoo stopped from walking as he took a moment to think. Jongin was right about that. They still have hours to spend and all he was thinking to refill their empty rations. Kyungsoo looked up at him and nodded.

 

“What’s in your mind? Do you have a plan to go somewhere?” He asked.

 

“Of course, I do!” Jongin jogged over Kyungsoo and rested an arm around his shoulders. “It won’t be a date if you hangout by yourself.”

 

Kyungsoo scowled. “Jongin, we’re not dating. I’m straight, so please understand this.”

 

“I know.” Jongin just smile. “And I didn’t mean we’re entirely on date. It should be fine.”

 

“It’s hard to understand you sometimes.”

 

“Don’t worry about it. I’ll show you my true self really soon.” That line made Kyungsoo curious but at the same time, he feared to know Jongin’s real intention. Jongin’s little secret. Is he been wearing the poker face all this time?

 

Jongin pulled him into a shopping mall first. He suggested surveying their Secret Santa gift and they had to wait few more days for the items to be sold for holiday season. During the survey, Jongin was being loud and happy young man. He used his time to hang around with Kyungsoo, pulling here and there. Kyungsoo used to feel that kind of energy while being with Chanyeol, and it’s annoying. Being around with cheerful Jongin is like...

 

“Hyung! Hyung! Look! Isn’t it cute?” He pointed a puppy doll.

 

“Hyung! You should try this!” He placed a Santa Hat on Kyungsoo’s head.

 

“Hyung! Look at that! It’s beautiful!” He glanced at the Christmas ornaments.

 

“Hyung!”

 

“Kyungsoo-hyung~”

 

Kyungsoo had to admit. Having a cheerful and energetic Jongin is kind of cute. Perhaps he thought wrong about ‘Jongin true self’. He does look like a real man at work, but when day off comes, he becomes a twelve year old boy. Kyungsoo was smiling and laughing for entire time spent with Jongin. The heavy worry and the stress were suddenly lifted off from him. He wanted to spend time fooling like this again on Christmas, just like they did a year ago.

 

And just like they did two years ago.

 

“Hyung, did you have fun?” Jongin asked him when they exited a store.

 

“Kinda did.” Kyungsoo shrugged but he’s hinting himself that he was actually had fun.

 

“Let’s look around some more!” Jongin already pulled Kyungsoo into the watch shop.

 

Kyungsoo didn’t notice he was taking his time looking at the watches. He and Baekhyun were usually the ones that paid attention on the time. As a wise man said, time is precious. Even his mother reminded him with this word. Kyungsoo kept looking at the watch designs until he stopped at this particular watch. The design is simple. It’s a white watch with an owl crafted on the background. Jongin came soon after that, giggled at the sight on the white watch.

 

“Hahaha! That Snowy does really look like you!” Jongin laughed with a high pitch voice.

 

“Jongin! Quit it!” Kyungsoo lightly slap on Jongin’s shoulder to shush him down. After he quieted down, Kyungsoo continued to admire the design.

 

“Do you really like that watch, hyung?” Jongin asked.

 

“Sort of. I was planning to get it soon. My old watch needs to get replaced, since it’s been malfunctioning for several times. Ah, it’s already afternoon?” Kyungsoo happened to look at his own watch.

 

“Now you mentioned it, I’m starving.” Jongin hung his head low and Kyungsoo patted his back.

 

They got themselves to a nearby cafe and ordered their lunch. They still have time to do groceries before joining the others for dinner. Kyungsoo ordered croissant sandwich with tuna and a cup of Americano while Jongin ordered chicken sandwiches with a cup of hot coffee. They were quiet while eating since they tried to conserve energy. Until their last order of macaroons came. Jongin took a half

Please log in to read the full chapter