Chapter 3: Bond

Phantom Crimes [DISCONTINUED]
Please log in to read the full chapter

“.....ng. ...yung! ...Kyungsoo-hyung! Wake up!”

 

Kyungsoo jolted awake from his dream, looking awfully panicked. His vision was still blurred and he noticed there’s a black figure right in front of him. Feeling even more terrified, he tried to push or hit the stranger away from him. He wanted to scream but couldn’t find the voice to do so. Until a familiar voice cooed Kyungsoo to calm down, his panic began to ease.

 

“Kyungsoo-hyung. It’s me, Jongin. Calm down, it’s just a nightmare. Everything is alright. Here, hold my hand. I’m right here, okay? I’m right here.” Jongin looked at Kyungsoo worriedly while squeezing his trembling hand, while his other hand gently rubbed Kyungsoo’s shoulder.

 

Kyungsoo’s vision focused on the face before realizing it is really Jongin. He looked so scared and began to cry which made Jongin had no choice but to embrace him. He patted his head and didn’t stop whispering ‘it’s okay, it’s okay’ behind the elder’s ear. He felt pity that Kyungsoo was feeling stressed in less than a day, and Kyungsoo really needed to be comforted. Kyungsoo sobbed softly until he was done. The silence took them for a good five minutes and Kyungsoo released the hug. He realized his hand was still holding on Jongin’s and awkwardly, he pulled back. He took the excuse to wipe away his teary eyes.

 

“...Sorry.” Kyungsoo’s voice was raspy, and Jongin shook his head.

 

“It’s fine, hyung. You had a bad dream. I was surprised when you were yelling in your sleep. Are you feeling well now?” Jongin smiled a little when Kyungsoo nodded slowly to respond.

 

“What... What time is it?” Kyungsoo felt bad that he woke the latter in the middle of the night? Morning? But as soon Jongin turned to see the watch, he looked down.

 

“It’s almost three in the morning. Gosh, I can’t believe Baekhyun-hyung and Yeol-hyung are still sleeping soundly. I wonder if they still won’t wake up from the sound of explosions.” Jongin tried to joke but his smile fell when Kyungsoo kept staring down.

 

“Hyung, I’m sorry you had a tough day. But I’m right here for you. So you can talk to me if you want to.” Jongin looked at Kyungsoo hopefully.

 

Kyungsoo turned his head to Jongin, shook his head slowly. “I’ll be fine, Jongin. Thanks. Y--You should be resting and um... sorry for waking you up.” Kyungsoo was about to pull his blanket but Jongin quickly hopped on Kyungsoo’s bed and laid next to him. Kyungsoo blinked.

 

“Um... Your bed is up there.”

 

“Just lie down, hyung.” Jongin looked straight at Kyungsoo’s eyes.

 

Kyungsoo was speechless as he pulled his blanket close to cover his face. Their double story bed surely fit two people but sleeping together on single bed made him uncomfortable. Plus, Jongin was close to his face when he tried to look at him. He ended up blushing furiously and turned away. While he was hoping he could get some sleep soon, his body froze from a sudden movement. Jongin wrapped one around his upper body.

 

“This should do. As long we remain in this position, you will able to get some sleep. Don’t worry about the nightmare. Okay, hyung?” Jongin asked.

 

“R-- right. G--good night, Jongin.” Kyungsoo stuttered. Thankfully he was facing other way when Jongin asked, or he would see his reddened face.

 

Kyungsoo didn’t remember if the younger has replied back his good night call but that night for some reason, Kyungsoo was able to sleep soundly. Nightmare didn’t appear in his sleep, and he was in a comfortable zone. He felt so secure as if someone was protecting him from harm. His mind was blank, only thinking of how long this sleep will last. He wished this sleep was eternal like there’s no tomorrow.

 

However, it didn't last long when the ring from his alarm clock woke him up. Kyungsoo rubbed his eyes and realized that the warm arm that was on him was gone. He turned around and Jongin was no longer next to him. ‘He must have gone back to his own bed’, Kyungsoo thought. He turned off his alarm and got himself up into sitting position as he hugged his pillow. Last night was an unforgettable memory for Kyungsoo, he kept thinking how comfortable his sleep was with Jongin wrapped around him. The more he thought about it, the redder the blush formed on his face. That made him feel more embarrassed, he covered his face with the pillow and squealed without realizing. Why did he do that?

 

 

Kyungsoo was less focused on his studies that morning. Baekhyun once found him daydreaming during the class session and Kyungsoo apologized to him back. Chanyeol also caught him staring at nothing, and when he asked if Kyungsoo was having a conversation with a ghost he replied back that there was no ghost talking him. He was dazed.

 

“My baby Soo, are you feeling alright? You look distracted since morning. Was it about the girl we met yesterday? I happened to walk pass her this morning, and saw her grinning like an idiot.” Chanyeol asked as Kyungsoo looked up at him from his lunch bag. Baekhyun and Jongin also stopped eating to listen on the conversation.

 

“No. It’s not about it and please stop calling me ‘Baby Soo’. It’s embarrassing.” Kyungsoo annoyed.

 

“I’ll stop when you tell us what’s bothering you. Come on, baby Soo. It’s all on your face. “Chanyeol pouted as he crossed his arms.

 

Kyungsoo pressed his lips on a thin line. He looked up at Baekhyun and it seemed as he demanded for an answer too. But when he glanced at Jongin, he quickly turned away. Jongin was the first who noticed it. Something was wrong with Kyungsoo. He was about to open his mouth but Kyungsoo already had stood from his seat.

 

“Sorry, I have to go.” He left them startled.

 

“Kyungsoo! How about your lunch!” Baekhyun tried to call him back but to no avail. Jongin, fortunately offered himself to catch up with Kyungsoo to give the untouched lunch bag. But actually, Jongin wanted to have a word with him. Kyungsoo didn’t talk to him since they walked out from the dorm. He did try to start a conversation with Kyungsoo, but all he got was a small hmm or a nod. What made Kyungsoo seal himself from talking to the younger one, he didn’t know. Jongin tailed Kyungsoo from far back and ended up leading him to the empty gym. Kyungsoo was about to exhale a huff of relief but his face showed otherwise when he saw Jongin caught up with him.

 

“I came because you left your lunch. Don’t waste it. We paid for them and it’s not free.” Jongin approached and handed him the lunch bag.

 

“I’m not hungry. You can have it.” Kyungsoo rejected his offer. Jongin sighed, still hanging the lunch bag on his side.

 

“Hyung. We’re perfectly fine this morning, but now you’re avoiding me. Did I do something wrong?” Jongin waited for Kyungsoo to reply, but he didn’t. A silent Kyungsoo meant something was indeed wrong and Jongin felt bad about it. It’s probably his fault that Kyungsoo didn’t want to speak with him.

 

Unless...

 

“Was it... Was it about last night? That I slept with you, did it make you uncomfortable?” Jongin bravely brought out the topic. It took a moment before Kyungsoo finally admitting it by nodding silently.

 

Damn it. Jongin thought so. He took a small breath, trying to form an explanation so Kyungsoo would talk to him again. Apologizing should be a good start.

 

“I’m sorry, hyung.”

 

“It wasn’t your fault, Jongin.” Kyungsoo interrupted and Jongin looked surprised.

 

“You did nothing wrong. It was me. I’m not used to it. I understand your intention, Jongin. And I fully appreciate what you were trying to do last night. To be honest, that was the most peaceful sleep I ever had. It as if I was in paradise, forgetting all my worries. I wish I could have that feeling again, that feeling of security around me. But I’m coward to ask for it. I’m scared of what people will think of me after that happened. I’m scared of you, Jongin.” Kyungsoo looked down, fiddling with his fingers.

 

Jongin blinked then let out a chuckle. So that was it. Now he thinks Kyungsoo is gullible and obviously cute, like a poor little puppy. Kyungsoo was not pleased with the chuckle, so Jongin had to pull him to the seat nearby. Once they were settled on their seat, Jongin began to speak.

 

“I’m not mocking you, hyung. I’m glad that you explained it to me, everything

Please log in to read the full chapter