Chapter 13: Partnership

Phantom Crimes [DISCONTINUED]
Please log in to read the full chapter

One month. Kyungsoo only need one month to go back to his original shape. And today is the day he finally took off the sling and freedom awaits him. He and Chen were inside the check up room with a doctor who was in charge of Kyungsoo’s recovery. Kyungsoo squeezed the rubber ball using his fully healed arm as the doctor told him.

 

“Squeeze... and let go.” The doctor instructed and Kyungsoo did so. He repeated the same thing until the doctor told him to stop and he jotted down on his notes. “Good job, Kyungsoo-sshi. You’re free to go, just make sure don’t try to overwork again.”

 

Kyungsoo nodded happily and thanked the doctor. Once Kyungsoo and Chen walked out from the room, Chen congratulated him.

 

“D.O., congratulations on your recovery! You got your precious hand back!” Chen beamed.

 

“Thanks, Chen. I can’t wait to do our first field work. Sorry for keep you waiting.”

 

“It’s fine. I rather have my partner completely healed.” Chen smiled sincerely at him. He meant it.

 

Chen was about to walk back to their department but Kyungsoo didn’t move from his spot making Chen looked back at him. He seemed expecting something from Chen.

 

“Is anything wrong?” Chen asked.

 

“Not really. It’s just... We’ve been working for more than a month. So I hope we can get known each other even closer in the future.”

 

“Right. I know what you’re saying. It’s actually fun working with you, D.O. Although we mostly working on papers but you did show me how capable you are, which interest me.” Chen said.

 

“You’ll get to watch more than that when we got a case.” Kyungsoo enlightened him.

 

“I can’t wait.” Kyungsoo watched his partner smiling even wider to his ears. He still felt bad for him that Chen didn’t get close to the others during the whole month, so Kyungsoo wanted to do something about it.

 

“By the way, I do have a favor to ask. Since we’re friends and partners on work, can I call you by your real name?” Kyungsoo really did across the line and put some courage when he asked that question.

 

Chen’s face instantly fell. Kyungsoo could see it clearly and he stuttered.

 

“A--am I asking too much? If you don’t like it, I can just call you Chen. Y-- yeah, it’s easier that way--“

 

“I feel grateful.” Chen cut him. “No one ever call me by my real name, even Suho-hyung. Chanyeol and Baekhyun were excluded though. Is it okay I call your real name in return?”

 

“Absolutely.” Kyungsoo widen his smile. Somehow they were easily attached, like how close he was with Jongin.

 

“Alright. Let’s get our first outdoor case, Kyungsoo.” Chen turned and expecting Kyungsoo to follow him. Kyungsoo gladly followed behind and he slowed down as he sensed the presence of the angel.

 

[“Outside at last, hyung. I’ve been waiting patiently to witness you guys working on a case.”]

 

Kyungsoo smiled on that. “Be patient, Jongin. I know you like to go straight to the scene but that will kill the fun. Besides, I’m surprised at how easy is to get close to your brother in a span of a month, he’s just like you.”

 

[“So you’re saying I’m not a scary guy?”]

 

“You are, sometimes. Was Jongdae ever being scary before? He does look like the type that's always patient.” Kyungsoo asked while frowning.

 

[“Oh, you don't want to see him get mad. It’s scary as hell.”] Somehow, that didn’t much to convince Kyungsoo.

 

“Why is that?” He stopped his track, turning to face the angel.

 

[“In primary school, when a kid threw a ball and hit me, he avenged me back by throwing stones at him. There was one time someone teased Yeol-hyung being tall and that made him cry, he hung that guy from the ceiling by the shirt's collar. When Baekhyun-hyung was surrounded by bullies during middle school he beat them all without leaving behind a single person. I heard a rumor that one of the bullies got admitted in the hospital.”] Jongin nodded admirably.

 

Kyungsoo blinked several times and gulped. “He... He did all those? He was that... violent?”

 

[“That was years ago. I’m pretty sure he’s even more violent than before.”] Jongin casually said it.

 

“Kyungsoo-ah! Come on! Let’s go!”

 

Kyungsoo heard Jongdae called him from far. He slowly turned and saw him jumping while waving his hand to call Kyungsoo over. Jongdae, that small figure who has the brightest smile he ever seen, is a violent person? He couldn’t imagine it.

 

They had a good talk until they’re about to reach the entrance, Jongdae halted right at the sliding door entrance. Kyungsoo stopped as well, frowning.

 

“Are you coming?” He asked. Then Jongdae pointed what’s outside, making Kyungsoo turn to the direction. Chanyeol and Baekhyun were waiting out there. Jongdae wasn’t afraid of Chanyeol, but he still didn’t make up with Baekhyun yet. Kyungsoo looked back at Jongdae with a pity face.

 

“It’s alright. I’ll catch up with you later. They’re waiting for you.” Jongdae waved lightly at him before he walked to the other exit.

 

Kyungsoo kept watching him and wondering when they will get back together. It’s been a month and they didn’t even change a bit. Everytime when Jongdae and Baekhyun bumped each other, one of them would leave immediately. Kyungsoo was also trying to get Jongdae to have a lunch break with them but if Baekhyun was joining, Jongdae rejected the offer. Kyungsoo knew he couldn’t fix their broken ties but he did really get tired seeing them apart every day. What’s even more pathetic is that Jongin was watching it all. He wondered if Jongin’s heart could take it, his brother was living in torture.

 

“Jongin?” Kyungsoo called his name, trying to snap the younger not to think too much.

 

[“...”]

 

Kyungsoo tried to nudge him this time and Jongin finally snapped and apologized to him. He didn’t want this. He didn’t want to see neither lose themselves. Jongdae may be a strong on the outside but Kyungsoo feared that one day Jongdae would eventually break.

 

Once Kyungsoo stepped out from the hospital, Chanyeol immediately went next to him, offering a bouquet of flowers. Kyungsoo somehow smiled on the gift.

 

“What is this?”

 

“This is my love to you. I confessed.” Chanyeol winked at him and Baekhyun rolled his eyes.

 

“Yeah, I know that. I love you too.” Kyungsoo was about to continue as Chanyeol squealed on the respond. “I figured you guys planned to take me somewhere?”

 

“You knew us. But first of all, congratulations on your recovery!” Baekhyun beamed.

 

Kyungsoo thanked both of them. Just before they headed out to celebrate his freedom, Jongin nudged him.

 

[“Hyung, three o’clock. Try not to make it obvious.”]

 

Kyungsoo heard him and slowly gazed to his right. He stunned when he saw Jongdae was watching them. He didn’t smile at all. It felt more like... reminiscing. Kyungsoo saw him sighed and walked away. He realized Jongdae wanted to be part of the group and Kyungsoo is the key to reunite them, if he wanted to fix their relationship he had to do this sooner.

 

“Kyungsoo?” Baekhyun asked when Kyungsoo didn’t paid attention.

 

Kyungsoo looked at his friends and bowed apologetically. “Can we postpone the celebration? I just remembered I got an errand to do. How about after work?”

 

Baekhyun and Chanyeol turned to each other and agreed. “Yeah, that works. Just don’t strain yourself this time.”

 

“I won't, thanks. See you guys later.” Kyungsoo waved lightly and ran off to chase his other friend.

 

He thought he had lost him since he was pretty sure Jongdae will not walk back to the department, knowing he would accept his friend’s invitation to celebrate his recovery. Until he passed the corner at a building, he sighed in relief when he spotted him.

 

“Jongdae!”

 

The man turned to Kyungsoo with a surprised face. He looked behind Kyungsoo to see if Chanyeol or Baekhyun was with him. When he didn’t see them, he approached. He felt safer without them around.

 

“What are you doing here? I thought you went off with them?” Jongdae asked curiously.

 

“Celebration can wait. We got a case to hunt.” Kyungsoo pulled him towards the department direction.

 

“What? Why? I don’t want to disturb your time because of me.” He let himself being dragged by the younger.

 

Kyungsoo thought Jongdae was almost correct on that one. But he stopped as he looked up to Jongdae and correcting him. “I worried about you. I don’t want to leave my good partner behind. You’ve done everything to me since last month and it’s my turn to show what I’m capable of. We’ve been slacking off with paper works, and I bet you’re tired of staring at them.”

 

Jongdae couldn’t help it. His cheerfulness plastered on his face once again. “Since I started working with you, I never thought you as a bad company. You’re the nicest and the most considerate guy I ever met. Only a small thing you need to watch yourself because you worry too much. I'm going to say this again and again but I’m totally fine, Kyungsoo-ah.”

 

Kyungsoo let out a soft laugh and flushed a little with his obvious deeds, which made Jongdae smile and unexpectedly, he hugged him. Kyungsoo didn’t hesitate to hug back. He saw Jongin smiling in front of him and he gave a thumbs up, telling Kyungsoo that he made a good job bringing his brother’s smile back. Kyung

Please log in to read the full chapter