Filter Chapter: The Eve’s and Midnight

Phantom Crimes [DISCONTINUED]
Please log in to read the full chapter

Cold breeze hit the young man’s face. Something was tickling under his nose. He squinted his eyes and about to sneeze. He took a short air. Twice. But then, his nostril decided to give in, he didn’t sneeze. His shoulders slumped down slightly as he pulled the red and green striped scarf under his nose. He hugged his book, kicking the snow away as he ran towards the college library. He should be at home. However, his mother was not. He never questioned it, as long his mother was happy that he chose to study than having holiday vacation. The weather got colder within a minute. The young man rushed into the library until he closed the glassed door behind him, the warm air welcomed him with pleasure.

 

“Kyungsoo, dear, you’re early again today.” The mid aged lady, who stood at the counter greeted him.

 

“Good morning, Miss Jihye.” The latter bowed to her with a wide smile, and she did the same.

 

“So which one would like to borrow this time?” She asked.

 

“The one I read two days ago? The maroon book.”

 

“Ah, yes. I still have it.” The lady got up, reached for the specific book on the rack before handed it to Kyungsoo.

 

“Thank you very much. I really owe you.” Kyungsoo was about to take it, but his smile faltered a little when the lady pulled it back.

 

“Seriously, my dear. You really should take a day off with studying. You do realize tomorrow’s Christmas?”

 

Kyungsoo blinked, and lowered his head in shame. “I do actually...”

 

“If you’re still that stubborn, library is closed tomorrow unfortunately. Join your friends or walk somewhere around the city. They have plenty of events to kill time. I can’t stand to watch you doing all the readings by yourself.”

 

The latter lifted his head up; acknowledge that even the lady was concerned about him. “I’ll keep that in mind. Thank you for your consideration. I’ll be away tomorrow.”

 

The lady smiled at him, but she didn’t know that Kyungsoo was worrying. It was true, no one ever step in the library other than Kyungsoo himself during winter break. He even begged the lady to keep the library open last week, and she did. However, she never stopped telling Kyungsoo to at least hang out with his friends during this season. He did think about this.

 

Not when Baekhyun took a ride on bullet train all the way back to Bucheon to spend time with family. Chanyeol joined too to meet his so called ‘long lost older sister’. And Jongin... Well... Kyungsoo didn’t know what happened to Jongin. He said he had a business, and disappeared about a week ago. Kyungsoo didn’t even think about Junmyeon, who was chosen to be a candidate for the leader of police force next year.

 

This is his very first winter in the college year. Where should he go tomorrow?

 

He flipped the said book on the usual location of the library. He always sat there and claimed to be his favourite spot; nearby the window, perfect lighting to read, and surrounded by tall bookshelves on both sides. Jihye knows him well. She even said it’s rare to find bookworms nowadays. She only knew around five or six students like Kyungsoo during her days. Kyungsoo felt proud about himself.

 

As he continued to take notes, he felt his phone vibrated in his pocket before taking it out. Reading short messages from a group of four people made him smile. Baekhyun was ‘yelling’ through the message saying he left one of his books on Chanyeol’s bag, and he blamed the younger for not reminding him. Jongin joined sooner, as the youngest explained; they have one month off. The book can be found later. The conversation kept going on, but Kyungsoo never replied to them. He placed the phone aside, and resumed his notes.

 

Kyungsoo didn’t track his time until Jihye came by to tell she’s going to close the library. He thanked her, and flipped close the book. He didn’t need it anymore. Placing it in the right section of the shelf, he packed everything up before stepping out of the place. The fluffy scarf rested under his chin, the cold once again crept into his skin, and he wandered off the streets alone as he watched all the snow covering the college but the paths. There’s no point to go back dorm early.

 

Walking along the side road into more crowded areas, he watched people exposed their joy during Christmas Eve. Families, parents, siblings, friends, couples and kids. All were there right in front of his eyes, except he felt like a lonely young man without anyone to celebrate with. He stopped by a small stall selling hot drinks, and then taking a sip of a nice cappuccino before he ventured again. He didn’t know how long he’s been walking, but the more he went, lonelier it gets.

 

His smile finally showed a slight pain. He wanted his Christmas to be memorable. The last Christmas he remembered was with his mother, and he treasured the bag that she presented to him for future use. Perhaps he didn’t belong here with these cheerful people in the streets. It took a moment before he realized it’s getting late, he made a U turn, and headed back to his dorm. His head kept lower, and the steps were getting heavy and heavier as he approached to his destination. Only when he spotted somebody with blue jeans came into his view, immediately recognized the pair of black boots, which belong to his good friend before he lifted his head up.

 

“Hey, hyung. I’ve been waiting for you.”

 

Kyungsoo was shocked to see the innocent Jongin, who stood still in front of the dorm building. “I thought you’re with your family.”

 

“Change of plans. For once I want to spend my Christmas with my favourite friends. I get tired of doing the same thing every year with mom.” Jongin slung his arm around the older’s shoulders before escorting him into the building.

 

“That is not very nice of you.” Kyungsoo disapproved him.

 

Jongin giggled lightly. “I’ve been told.”

 

Truth to be told, Kyungsoo was glad to have him here. At least he wasn’t one of the unfortunate single people out there to spend Christmas. Jongin had been asking where he was, and why he didn’t reply any messages in the group chat. But the latter simply told him he was in the library. They knew the rules. Kyungsoo felt his destination was short since he was distracted by talking Jongin. However, it gets more fascinating when he entered their dorm room.

 

“Surprise!!”

 

It was more shocking than he saw Jongin, he didn’t expect at all when two other friends were inside, wearing a Santa hat.

 

“You two just go home already!” Kyungsoo yell at them, and they laughed as if it was a joke.

 

“Don’t you shoo us away! I thought you like the present! Here, wear this! We’re supposed to be having Christmas hype!” Baekhyun trotted over Kyungsoo, and placed a Santa hat on his head. The smaller didn’t protest, but did mumble ‘it’s not even Christmas yet’.

 

While Chanyeol did the same to Jongin, Kyungsoo have questions to ask, but one. “Why did you guys come back here?” He did have a suspicion with his friends, and he could easily read lies on their faces that all of this was planned.

 

“It was my idea.” Jongin spoke. “We knew you couldn’t celebrate Christmas with your mother, and you even declined our offer to celebrate with our family. So, here we are.”

 

Kyungsoo looked a little disappointed at Jongin’s answer, before turning to the others. “And you’re okay with this?”

 

“I left my book on the bag message was clearly a bait. You fell for it, did you?” Baekhyun smirked, earning eyes roll from Kyungsoo.

 

“Come on, Baby Soo. It’s our winter break. We can’t let you pick the books as your new friends. What are we to you? Some kind of college buddies you can hang out during class, and then kick us out on holidays?”

 

The smaller flinched from Chanyeol’s remark, which he was later made a soundless gasp, realizing he might have hurt the smaller’s feeling. Kyungsoo would never ditch his friends. He would never.

 

“Alright. I would say that’s a pretty lame excuse, but I forgive you.”

 

The next thing he heard was a loud cheer from each one of them. He started to reconsider his choice of words for what they’re trying to do to him was getting fishy. Before he could do anything, Jongin tugged his sleeve which made him look up in confusion.

 

“You should put up something thicker tonight.” Jongin smiled at him, and before Kyungsoo could say something, Baekhyun yelled.

 

“That was supposedly a secret!”

 

“Oh, no. You can’t keep secrets from Kyungsoo-hyung!”

 

Both Baekhyun

Please log in to read the full chapter