Chapter 10: Self-esteem

Phantom Crimes [DISCONTINUED]
Please log in to read the full chapter

Christmas was supposed to be the happiest festival in the whole world, where people asked for wishes and miracles. Presents were loaded in the shops, laughter and joy heard from everywhere, and Christmas songs played non-stop for the rest of the day. However that day, only several people from SM Department were gloomy. They received a bad news about the death of their ace.

 

Kim Jongin was so close to his promotion, but sadly he couldn’t achieve it. Junmyeon took the blame for his death, even though the police officers who worked under him convinced it wasn’t his fault at all. Junmyeon knew Jongin for a long time since college, so losing him was like losing his own little brother. He was also worried about Kyungsoo, Baekhyun and Chanyeol. Jongin’s death might have a huge impact on their lives. Junmyeon was afraid that Baekhyun wouldn’t make people smile anymore, the happy virus Chanyeol was losing his effect, and Kyungsoo... might lock himself in a pit of darkness.

 

On that day, Baekhyun, Chanyeol and Sehun prepared themselves to give the final respect for his dead friend. They didn’t spoke a word since morning, which worries Sehun. They silently approach a car, joined by other people from other SM Departments. Sehun noticed something was wrong as he looked at the entrance of the Police Department.

 

“D.O.-hyung not following?” Sehun asked his seniors, and Baekhyun looked up to Sehun, then to Chanyeol. Both of them hesitated with the question.

 

“About that... How do I explain this?” Chanyeol looked around then approached Sehun. He didn’t want other people to listen his explanation, since Kyungsoo was so close to Jongin, and he wasn’t there for the funeral.

 

“He wanted to come but... he couldn’t.”

 

“He couldn’t?” Sehun frowned.

 

Chanyeol sighed a little. “I’ll explain to you in the car, Sehun.” He reached around Sehun’s shoulder and pulled him into the car.

 

Baekhyun looked back to the Police Department, and took something from his pocket. He looked down to the item he was holding; the black bracelet. Kyungsoo told him to return it back to its owner. This bracelet was the final present from Kyungsoo, and Baekhyun would make sure it will be buried together with Jongin.

 

Once they were on their way to the location, Chanyeol took a comfortable seat and glanced to Sehun. Sehun seemed to be waiting for him to talk. Chanyeol turned to Baekhyun, who nodded at him as an approval to his friend to explain about Kyungsoo.

 

“Did you know that Kyungsoo was different than us?” Sehun nodded. “Actually, Kyungsoo was mostly afraid to go to the graveyard because of his ability.”

 

“Why?” Sehun frowned even more.

 

“Graveyard was where the ghost threatens started. There was one case where he and Jongin were supposed to collect evidence at a tombstone last year. After they wrapped up their investigation on that day, Kyungsoo... collapsed instantly. He was weak and didn’t wake up for two days.”

 

Sehun widen his eyes for a bit. “What happened to him?”

 

“Graveyard is ghost's homes. Kyungsoo was an easy target for them, so they drained him out for fun.” Baekhyun interrupted. “Since then, he didn’t want to go to the graveyard ever again. He couldn’t even attend his mother’s funeral. And now this...” Then his voice cracked a bit and turned to the window, tried to blink back his tears. “He is the saddest man on earth.”

 

Sehun didn’t say anything after that. He leaned on the seat behind him and the silence took them until they reached to the graveyard.

 

 

Kyungsoo was in leaning behind his desk, hugging his legs tightly. He looked messier than yesterday, his eyes were red from crying, his wounded palm was treated with bandage, and was still wearing his winter jacket. His eyes were lifelessly staring at the floor. Across the room, there was a scattered white bracelet beads on the floor. Even though it belonged to Kyungsoo, he didn’t need it anymore. The effect had worn off.

 

He should have been in Jongin’s funeral by now but he couldn’t go there. His office was empty without him. He was expecting a voice to call him every morning and start a conversation, but who will he talk to now? He didn’t have anyone by his side to talk to. He was alone once again, and slowly he buried his face between his legs. Darkness was consuming his thought. Maybe he should have died. He should have--

 

Suddenly, he heard someone enter his office. He slowly looked up and it was Junmyeon. Junmyeon looked back at Kyungsoo with a sad face. He didn’t say anything as he joined to sit next to Kyungsoo. Kyungsoo continued to be in his own space. He even ignored that Junmyeon was looking at him all the time.

 

“Kyungsoo. How are you?” Junmyeon asked softly.

 

“...Terrible.“ Kyungsoo replied the same tone as Junmyeon and asked. “Why aren’t you at the funeral?”

 

“Someone has to look after his sad mate because he didn’t want him to get lonely.” Junmyeon drew a small smile.

 

Kyungsoo didn’t say anything after that. Junmyeon watched Kyungsoo and slowly wrapped one arm around him. He also placed Kyungsoo’s head to rest on his shoulder.

 

“Life must go on, Kyungsoo. Even if he is no longer with us. We have to remember that every living thing will come to an end one day. He didn't die in vain. He died protecting you, Kyungsoo. Please don’t waste your second chance he gave you.” Kyungsoo expression fell as he listened to Junmyeon. It was true Jongin didn’t die in vain, which was why he couldn’t see Jongin’s ghost. He was sent to heaven.

 

“What should I do, hyung? How do I continue this life? My life isn’t the same anymore.” Kyungsoo said weakly.

 

“You still have Baekhyun and Chanyeol, haven’t you? They are still your best friends even if they’re from different departments. I swear to you, they want to hang out with you even more. But just this time, you have to promise me that you will accept yourself to be open with new people.”

 

Kyungsoo frowned a little. “What do you mean?”

 

“I’ll tell you that later. But for now, I want you to remember that Jongin wanted you to be strong.” Junmyeon reached for his side pocket, revealed a small red present box before offered to Kyungsoo. “I believe this belongs to you.”

 

Kyungsoo looked up and picked the present, without receiver’s name. He remembered this present. It was on Jongin’s hand when they found him dead on the rooftop. Kyungsoo hesitated for a moment, not sure he has the right to open it. But Junmyeon said it was his, so he had no choice. When unwrapping the top box, he froze when he looked inside the box. He almost dropped it and almost lost his composure to cry again.

 

Jongin was his Secret Santa. Inside the present was the Snowy watch that Kyungsoo was been dreaming to buy few weeks ago.

 

He took it out from the box, and inspected the watch closely. Until he stopped at the back of the watch, he saw a word crafting there. He began to sob, his tears once again falling down from his red eyes as he read it. He will never forget that word.

 

‘To my greatest partner D.O. - from Kai’

 

He recalled the definition of partner and there’s only one line that he remembered; ‘The pair that he thinks he can protect him with his life have to be strong.’

 

“I’m going to remember you, Jongin... Always remember you-- that you’re my greatest-- partner that I ever had--“ Kyungsoo closed his eyes, letting the tears fall even more. Junmyeon quietly pulled the younger to his arms, letting him cry like there’s no tomorrow.

 

“I miss you so much, Kim Jongin.”

 

 

A week later and New Year had passed by, Kyungsoo showed he’s slowly getting better, although he looked quite tired. At least he’s been taking medications, his skin finally showed some color, but his eyes didn’t. He didn’t seem to take enough sleep. Of course, the wound in his heart hasn’t yet fully recovered, but he knew he had to keep going for Junmyeon’s sake, for his friends’ sake, and for Jongin’s sake. The office was quiet as always. Kyungsoo flipped his paper works, and only the sound of his pen echoed the room. After awhile, he took a glance on the empty desk next to him, wondering who is worthy enough to take Jongin’s place. He gave a low sigh before continuing his work.

 

Right before lunch time, Kyungsoo was requested to meet Junmyeon in his office. Kyungsoo knocked the Chief’s office door and waited for approval. As he walked into the room, he spotted someone familiar on the chair across Junmyeon. That person was Han. Kai’s rival, they said. Kyungsoo blinked twice before exchanging his glance to Junmyeon.

 

“You requested to see me, sir?” Kyungsoo spoke formally.

 

“Yes, please have a sit.” Junmyeon gestured him to sit on the chair next to Han. Kyungsoo nodded and took a seat. He swore at the corner of his eyes, Han was staring at him. It gave him chills and he didn’t dare to look at him back.

 

Junmyeon looked at them both before he continued. “The reason I called you two here was because we have decided there will be changes in your contracts.”

 

Han raised his eye brow. “We? Changes?” Junmyeon nodded.

 

“I got a call from Police Chief of SM Jingcha Department in China, which we agreed to make an exchange of our employees with theirs to make better result on the future cases. Han, you will transfer to China next month. They’re going to train you to be a better detective. It’s good news for you and I hope you’re prepared by then.” Han grinned widely when he heard the news.

 

Kyungsoo heard about SM Jingcha Department. It’s the same as SM Police Department, but they’re both are in different country. However, Jingcha Department has the most attention in Asia region because of their efficiency. China is a country where they have a lot of people with inner talent such as acrobatic, tricks and fighting skills. No wonder Han was chosen.

 

“As for you, D.O.” Kyungsoo’s attention turned to Junmyeon. “The transfer employee will be your next permanent partner. He will replace Kai, so I hope you can accept him.”

 

That news actually feared Kyungsoo. He wasn’t ready for to be partnered with someone he didn’t know. But he had to promise Junmyeon that he has to accept new people around him, even Chinese people. This is how he has to keep going, to be strong and independent.

 

“I understand, chief.” Kyungsoo’s answer satisfied Junmyeon.

 

“Very well. One month is quite a long time and I want both of you to work up a bit. So I suggested that you two...” Junmyeon pointed at Kyungsoo and Han. “Will be partners, temporary. And don’t make that face, Han.”

 

Kyungsoo could see frustration on Han’s face. It was true Han hated Jongin so much because they’re rivals, but he wasn’t sure if he hated him too. But the look on Han’s face, he surely thinks that they won’t be good friends for less than a minute. When they were dismissed and the door closed behind him, Han quickly grabbed his sleeve and rushed into Kyungsoo’s office. Kyungsoo was startled and speechless on their way there. Han harshly let him go as he locked the office door. He approached to Kyungsoo up close and grabbed Kyungsoo’s collar jacket. Kyungsoo’s breath was stuck, the sudden fear came back into him.

 

“Listen here, you ghost freak. Even if we’re partners for a short while, that doesn’t mean you can do anything you want like the way you worked with Kai. You’re going to work with my way. You will listen to me, do as I told you, and if you make a mistake, you will clean up your own mess. Got it?” Kyungsoo didn’t hesitate to nod abruptly. Han smirked as he let him go, taking steps back.

 

“And don’t you even complain to our chief, because if you think it’s bad for me, it’ll bad for you as well. You don’t want the chief disappointed on you, right? So deal with it, for a month.” Then he left the office. Kyu

Please log in to read the full chapter