Chapter 1: The Origin

Phantom Crimes [DISCONTINUED]
Please log in to read the full chapter

Do Kyungsoo was a special child. He was able to see ghosts when he was three years old and surprisingly, he did not felt scared. Her mother told him not to speak a word to them or else he would get bothered by them. Or worse, they might hurt him. Kyungsoo obeyed her advice until the rules were broken when he was five. A ghost child with a pale skin, wearing white clothes seek him for help when he was busy playing with his friends at the playground. The ghost boy seemed so desperate, which made Kyungsoo immediately accept the request of help. The ghost boy lead him away from the place, ignoring the fact that his friends asked him where he was going.

It took him almost ten minutes of walking and Kyungsoo was already in foreign area. Everything around him was trees and tall grasses, and to be honest, he’s a little bit scared. The ghost boy finally stopped somewhere near a lake and pointed to a tree surrounded by bushes. Kyungsoo slowly took steps forward to the bushes but then froze on the spot. His round eyes widened and his body was shaking terribly.

There was a body inside the lake. The body of the ghost boy. There was no mistake about it when Kyungsoo saw the corpse's face.

Kyungsoo didn’t hesitate to report back to his mother, who was worried about his disappearance nearly half an hour ago. At first, her mother didn’t believe him but Kyungsoo could be very serious and stubborn about that matter, he forcefully pulled her to the body’s location. Even though he earned a slap from her, he didn’t give up. The argument ended when his mother finally called police to report that they found the body, who was missing for weeks. She begged mercy as she hugged her little boy, apologizing to him a couple times. Kyungsoo, who was still shocked and teary eyed for the longest time, witnessed the ghost boy who stood away from him. He never forgot the moment when the boy said ‘Thank you for finding me’, and how he vanished into the thin air.

Kyungsoo began to speak more with the ghosts since then. Not because he felt comfortable to speak with them. He wanted to know their problems, especially when they asked him for help.

In high school, Kyungsoo didn’t have many ‘human’ friends, because the students noticed he was seen talking to no one, which later they found out he’s actually able to communicate with ghosts and they were afraid to approach him. The bullies didn't even tried to get close to him, they were afraid to get bothered by the ghosts in return. Students started to call him ‘freak’, ‘weirdo’, ‘psycho’ and even he got his own nickname, D.O. stands for ‘Demon Obsessor’.

Although Kyungsoo was weird in the high school, only one student understood Kyungsoo’s situation. Kim Junmyeon, Kyungsoo’s senior was very friendly to him. He had the pure smile of a mother, caring to others more than himself, willing to listen to any problem and help them as best as he could. Kyungsoo honestly admired and respected him as senior and would approach him whenever he had time. One day on the graduation month, Kyunsoo and Junmyeon sat on the empty soccer field during lunch break.

“Hyung, have you thought about your future? Your job?” Kyungsoo asked.

Junmyeon smiled, staring at the ground. “I have thought about that since I entered this high school. I wanted a job that I could help people whenever they needed. There are multiple job choices I can pick. Manager, assistant, volunteer, nurse, doctor, there are a lot of them. But it doesn’t matter what I pick, the most important is what I'll do. As long they are able to smile when the problem is solved, it'll satisfy me.”
 

Kyungsoo briefly smiled but it faded as his concern drew on his face. Junmyeon noticed as he looked up to him and asked with a worried tone.

“What’s wrong? Is there something bothering you, Kyungsoo? “ Kyungsoo couldn’t say no to that. He always knew Junmyeon could crack his secret if he didn't to open his mouth. Kyungsoo sighed and turned to him.

“I’m-- I’m worried about myself, hyung. I wanted to be a novelist when I grew up. I could just focus on writing any stories I wanted to but... With my current situation, I have to keep talking to them, walking around and--“

“They want you to help them, so you can't focus on writing?” Junmyeon cut Kyungsoo’s words and he nodded. He was talking about his problem with ghosts which could be one of the main reasons he couldn’t archive his dream job. Junmyeon have seen him talking to no one during recess, and during the school end. He wanted to help Kyungsoo so bad with the ghost problems but Kyungsoo rejected his offer since he couldn’t see or interact with them. For the first time, he felt himself useless and felt sorry for Kyungsoo having to deal with them alone.

“I don’t mind sacrificing my dream job just to help them. It makes me feel special among other people.” Kyungsoo continues. “What I’m concern about is... I can’t think any job that fits me. Talking and helping ghosts is seriously awesome, but what kind of job I can get? I was thinking I should be a doctor but their job is to save human’s life, not solving a ghost's problem. I don’t know what to do. I-- I’m stuck, hyung.” Kyungsoo hung his head low.

Junmyeon reached his junior’s back and rubbed slowly, trying to help him to feel better. He tried to think if there’s any profession Kyungsoo could take for his recent circumstances. It took him exact five minutes of silence before he broke it.

“Have you thought about being a psychologist?” Kyungsoo slowly looked up at him, blinking his eyes.

Junmyeon continues. “I mean, we both have similar intentions. I choose to help living people, while you help the dead. I heard psychologists don't deal with living things only. But why not go crazy a bit? You deal with the dead people. You observe the ghosts and help them to the right way. Well, if you’re okay seeing real blood and dead people...”

“Really?! There’s a job for it?!” Jummyeon couldn’t help but to giggle on the sight of Kyungsoo’s wide eyes look. He could see Kyunsoo’s eyes sparkling. Ah, why his junior looks so cute?

“Of course! My dad’s friend work as police officer and he told me about it. He said in police career, there isn’t the only one specialty to solve the crime... there are detectives, sheriffs, scientists, forensics, night guards, and others. He said mental solving jobs like psychiatrists and psychologists are harder to find. But I’ll try asking him again if there’s such a job that solves ghosts problem.” As soon Junmyeon finished, Kyungsoo launched a tight hug which surprised him.

“Oh, thank you! Thank you! You’re my lifesaver, hyung!” Kyungsoo cheered. Junmyeon smiled widely as he felt proud of himself helping the younger one. Kyungsoo is really a special kid, Junmyeon can tell and he has decided one thing about him. He decided that he will take a job as a police officer and make sure that Kyungsoo will be under his wing.

 

 

Kyungsoo managed to join the college where Junmyeon was studying at. He couldn't express how happy he was when he met Junmyeon again during registration session. It was since Junmyeon told him about the job was available and Kyungsoo studied twice as hard for it. However, their schedules were tight which hardly left time for them to meet each other after class. Kyungsoo had to find new friends even though he was being disturbed by the problematic souls.

On his second day of college life, Kyungsoo rushed into the hallway. A ghost told him someone got locked in the old storeroom and the door lock was busted. If he didn’t get the trapped person freed, the person could die from starvation since no one’s been there for weeks. Kyungsoo was wondering why the person was trapped there in the first place. When he reached the door, he twisted the door knob, which was obviously locked. He gave a few knock to get the person’s attention.

“Hey! Are you in there?” Kyungsoo waited and heard footsteps coming close

Please log in to read the full chapter