Chapter 16: Dirty Trick [Part 3]

Phantom Crimes [DISCONTINUED]
Please log in to read the full chapter

Five-masked men were facing the psychologist and all of them subtlety looked at each other. Kyungsoo didn’t move even a bit as his eyes traveled between the masked men and Jongdae. Meanwhile, Jongdae weakly turned his body, letting his stomach rest on the ruined pavement. He tried to get up to protect his partner, but his body had reached its limit. The masked men injured him so much that he can't even move. Then the bad guys casually approached them when Kyungsoo took little steps back.

“What do we have here? A lost puppy?”

“Couldn’t find your way back to your mummy?”

The two of them spoke and placed their bats on their shoulders. Kyungsoo gulped as he took another large step backwards. Jongdae felt his blood boil as he struggled to grab one of the men’s legs. The man stopped and looked down to the detective without saying anything.

“Don’t-- you touch h--him--“ Jongdae’s voice trembled and his eyes pierced into the guy like daggers.

The man scoffed before he easily shoved the grip off his leg. He lifted his leg before stomping hard on the detective’s head, knocking him out, cold. Kyungsoo's eyes widened with what he saw, but he quickly withdrew himself from approaching Jongdae since he had to worry about himself. He looked around for an escape route, but the bad guys noticed him as they circled around, rendering his chance to run away. He pleaded for Jongin’s help. However, he’s nowhere been found.

“This guy has large round eyes, don’t you think?”

“Yeah, he’s a cute kid.” One of the masked men tried to touch Kyungsoo, but got shoved by him.

“Please don’t touch me.” Kyungsoo let out in an annoyed tone.

All the masked men snickered and whistled lowly as they approached him even closer. Kyungsoo hated this situation, it’s like he’s surrounded by bullies. He stopped stepping backwards when his back touched the wall, giving the masked men an opportunity to block his way out. Kyungsoo hung his head down, willing himself not to talk to them. At the same time, he believed that Jongin will find a way to disturb these guys.

“Does he have anything with him?”

“No, he came empty handed.”

“So, he’s ours now?”

“Obviously. Welcome to the wolf’s den, kid. Once you come in, there’s no way out.” The left masked man giggled.

The masked man on the right, who’s nearer to Kyungsoo checked him out before taking a step forward. “You look tasty. I wonder which part of you tastes best.”

He brought up his hand to touch Kyungsoo again, and instantly, Kyungsoo swung his hand to avoid the touch. However, the masked man seemed to have read his actions by grabbing his hand before it could hit him and pulled him even closer on the face.

“Oh~ Tough guy, aren’t you?” He replied and the other masked men whistled.

Kyungsoo got irritated even more as he struggled to push the man away. The masked men continued laughing until Kyungsoo got mad enough. He used his other hand to punch the masked man on the face. The man staggered a bit and the room was engulfed in silence. Kyungsoo then realized what he just did. He's so used to being impulsive and at a time like this was far by the worst. The masked man looked back at him. Kyungsoo doesn’t know if he had angered him, because he crooked his mask.

“I didn’t know that you can bite, and it stings like hell too.” The man adjusted his mask as he let go the shorter man’s wrist.

The man simply took a step back, making Kyungsoo feel relief a bit. He appreciated the small space between them. However, it’s not over. Those few seconds of space was replaced with a sharp pain on his skull. The masked man gained his momentum as he swayed backward and landed a quick punch on Kyungsoo’s forehead. Kyungsoo quickly closed his teary eyes and brought his hands to his forehead to ease the pain. It hurts too much, causing his knees to weaken. His weakened body slid down the wall behind him, as he let out a soft groan. Every time he tried to open his eyes, he's feeling dizziness and kept on seeing stars. He still could hear laughing on the background, but it eventually fade, replaced by a ringing noise.

His head was still throbbing and he couldn’t move his legs at all. That was until he felt someone’s arms wrapping around him, followed by a voice.

[“They’re coming. Don’t worry. Hang in there, hyung. I’ll protect you.”]

He knew that voice was Jongin's and he didn’t move even a bit as he let the angel embraced him. Then he started to hear more voices even though his eyes were still closed.

[“They hurt the angel’s innocent one.”]

[“We won’t allow them to hurt him any further.”]

[“Unleash the punishment. Make them pay for the sin they’ve committed.”]

Kyungsoo didn’t know what was going on. He wanted to look, but Jongin was blocking his view to not let him witness the terrifying scene. He eventually heard screams and shouts, followed by crashing noises. Now he’s curious. What was going on around him?

When the tenseness of the situation had quiet down, Kyungsoo was then able to open his eyes. However, the pain he's feeling in his head hasn’t recovered yet, so he looked up at Jongin with a pained expression. Jongin looked back at him with worry on his face before he leaned forward to give a soft kiss on Kyungsoo’s forehead. Kyungsoo closed his eyes once again as he felt a soft and warm sensation on his forehead, making him flush and forget all the pain he was having. It was quite a long kiss too, and Kyungsoo didn’t even stop him. Jongin was making sure that his companion's well again, since they haven’t completed their task just yet. The kiss broke eventually and Kyungsoo felt a lot better.

[“Are you okay? Does it still hurt?”]

Jongin rubbed the older’s forehead and Kyungsoo blushed before giving off a small smile as he shook his head lightly.

“I’m okay. Thank you, Jongin. I can take it from here.”

The angel smiled back at him before helping him stand up. Kyungsoo's legs wobbled as he stood and he used the wall behind for support. His eyed around and he gasped as he saw that all the masked men were now lying on the floor. There were a lot of debris and broken woods around them.

“What happened here?” Kyungsoo asked with his mouth wide open.

[“I pleaded the Archangels for help.”]

“Who?” Kyungsoo asked again and Jongin turned to him, realizing the older didn’t know about them.

[“I’ll make it short. Guardian Angels are to protect people, while Archangels are to commit the punishments. So basically, I can’t hurt people. It’s sort of the role I am now and there are rules to follow...”]

“Okay, I won’t ask any further. The topic is out of my league.” Kyungsoo raised his hand to stop him. Jongin could only shrug.

[“Glad you won’t ask.”]

Kyungsoo looked back at the mess until his eyes stopped at a certain person lying at the most back. He eyes widened again as he rushed to his fallen partner. He skidded right next to him before he shook him carefully. Jongdae was still out cold and Kyungsoo began to worry.

[“Hyung... Is he okay?”] Jongin asked in a concerned tone.

Kyungsoo heard the latter’s broken voice and tried to be calm. He needed to stay positive and check if his partner’s wounds are severe. He then took off his coat and wiped the trace of blood on Jongdae before folding it as a pillow. He gently placed the folded coat under Jongdae’s head before he stood up.

“Jongin, I want you to look after him.” Jongin's eyes widened when Kyungsoo said that.

[“No! I don’t want you to get caught by that wolf!”]


“And I don’t want him to get caught either, after seeing that all his comrades had fallen. He won’t hesitate to kill Jongdae, will he?”

[“But--“]

Jongin lost his words. He wanted to protect Kyungsoo, but at the same time, his brother’s safety was also important to him. Kyungsoo saw Jongin’s uncertain expression before he placed his hand on the angel’s shoulder.

“I’ll make it quick. After I freed Baekhyun, I will run straight back here. You keep your eyes on your brother. If anything happens, you come to me, okay?”

Jongin made a low sigh before he nodded.

[“...Alright. Be careful. Get the keys and bring the bat along with you just in case.”]

Kyungsoo doesn’t want to hold a weapon but since he needed, he followed Jongin’s advice. Kyungsoo turned away and picked up the bat and the keys on the fainted masked man, assuming the keys would be needed to free Baekhyun. He took a last glance on Jongin and he saw Jongin was staring at his brother. Jongin wanted to touch his brother so bad, but it passed through. They’re close brothers after all, which made Kyungsoo’s heart ache. He turned away and took out his cell phone to make an emergency call.
 


Passing the hallways with a lot of open spaces made Kyungsoo felt unsafe. The masked wolf could be anywhere. It was his turf. Kyungsoo made sure that his footsteps weren’t loud enough to be heard and held the bat closer to him. He silently walked through, until he met a row of rooms with metallic doors. He wasn’t sure what were they for, but since this was once a factory, the rooms were probably the storage rooms. He walked by the row of doors, and suddenly he heard a weeping noise echoing the hallways. He fastened his pace to find the source of the noise, until he stopped by one door with a lock on it.

Kyungsoo didn’t wait any longer as he put down the bat and fiddled the right key to open the lock. At the same time, the weeping noise stopped. Kyungsoo managed to take the lock out before he pushed the door open. Baekhyun was sitting on the ground. His hands were tied and his eyes were red and watery due to crying. He looked so scared when Kyungsoo first found him and he didn’t hesitate to run by his side.

“K--Kyungsoo. Kyungso--“

“Shh. It’s alright. I’m going to free you in a sec.” Kyungsoo placed a finger on his friend’s lips to tell him to be quiet before he moved to untie the rope.

As soon the rope was loosen, Baekhyun latched on Kyungsoo as tight as he could. Kyungsoo almost lost his balance but wrapped his ar

Please log in to read the full chapter