Chapter 5: Wild Ride [Part 2]

Phantom Crimes [DISCONTINUED]
Please log in to read the full chapter

[“Do aegyo....]

 

‘What did I do wrong?’ Kyungsoo thought.

 

[... To him oppa!”]

 

‘Why do I have to do this?’ Kyungsoo pushed his back hair nervously. That word still echoed in his mind. Kyungsoo never ever did ‘aegyo’ to anyone before. He saw Sehun doing it to either Baekhyun or Chanyeol as a punishment when he made mistakes. But this was just too much to ask.

 

[“Oppa, I’m waiting~”]

 

Kyungsoo snapped back into reality. Jongin wasn’t with him. He’s pretty much focusing on finding evidences. However, Kyungsoo couldn't make the ghost girl wait too long. He slowly stood up and approached Jongin. His thumbs didn’t stop fiddling.

 

“Um... Kai. A--any luck?” Jongin turned his head to Kyungsoo. He sighed a bit.

 

“Not yet. Unless Han took the most of the evidence, there would be nothing left for us.” Jongin noticed Kyungsoo looked nervous. He had known him for awhile and it’s easy to read this poor guy’s face.

 

“I see... Um... I need a minute with you. If that is okay.”

 

“Sure.” Jongin responded. Kyungsoo gulped nervously, closed his eyes and reopened back.

 

“I want you to not say a word and try to forget... after I do this. It’s not-- It’s not really that important, but yeah. Just promise me that you will.”

 

“What is this all about?” Jongin raised his eyebrows.

 

“Please don’t ask, Jongin. Promise me.” Kyungsoo pleaded. Jongin had no idea but he had to agree what Kyungsoo said.

 

“Okay, I promise.”

 

‘Here goes.’ Kyungsoo thought. He huffed and turned down at first. Jongin was about ask, Kyungsoo already was looking up halfway. The next thing was unexpected to Jongin because Kyungsoo made a cute face. A cute face with heart shaped smile. His eyes were perfectly round and his fists were in cat like pose, simply twisting them up and down at the spot.

 

“Buing~ Buing~” Kyungsoo voice was shaking, tried to bring cheerfulness out of himself, but he couldn’t. It’s totally embarrassing. He could see Jongin’s eyes widened his eyes of shock, and jaw dropped. His pride has crushed.

 

“Oh, gosh... I’m done. Please... Please forget what you saw.” Kyungsoo flushed. He covered his red face, and turned away. He left Jongin, who was currently in stunned state. His mind has gone crazy right now. He didn’t want to look at Jongin at this moment. Jongin was probably laughing, or flustered, or probably even more confused. Then Kyungsoo clapped on his cheeks, he needed to focus back on his work. He noticed the ghost girl was giggling. At least he made her laugh.

 

[“That was funny, oppa! Did you see his face? He looked very, very shocked!”]

 

Kyungsoo nodded solemnly. That was partly his mistake making Jongin look like that. He mentally noted to explain everything to him later.

 

“We had a deal, now can you tell me everything?” Kyungsoo didn’t waste his time.

 

[“Sure! What oppa wanted to know?”]

 

“Let’s start with before that missing oppa rode on the roller coaster. Did you saw anything unusual?”

 

[“Hmm... Nothing much. He was talking to his friend like other people do. I heard him talking ‘I want to ride that bumper car next!’ He said.”]

 

Kyungsoo nodded as he quickly jotted down on his small notebook.

 

“How about during his turn? Did he check anything on the safety belt?”

 

[“Missing oppa took on the right seat, second last row. I didn’t paid attention on that much because these two workers always checked on the safety belt. They made sure the belt was tight. Mom said it’s for safety first.”]

 

“Two workers?” Kyungsoo frowned and the girl nodded.

 

[“One checked on the right seats, and another one checked on the left seats.”]

 

Kyungsoo made a mental note to talk to a worker, who took over checking belts on the right seats.

 

“So I guess you can’t tell much about during his ride because you were standing here?”

 

[“Yeah! Like I said, I saw missing oppa fell on the first loop from here, and that’s it.”] The ghost girl shrugged. Kyungsoo jotted down some more information before he closed his notebook.

 

“Alright, that’s it. Thank you, sunshine. Your cooperation is much appreciated. I mean-- Thank you for helping oppa.”

 

[“No problem! Oppa was very funny and kind to me.”] Kyungsoo’s smile widened.

 

“Oppa has to go to work. You should be resting somewhere until the police are done, okay? Goodbye.”

 

Kyungsoo was about to leave her but she interrupted.

 

[“Um... Oppa.”] Kyungsoo turned to her with a questioning look. [“Will oppa come and see me again? I don’t have anyone else to talk to.]

 

This is something he couldn’t promise. Ghosts are attending to stick in one place until their businesses are done. However, Kyungsoo always traveled to different locations when he received new cases. He had to make the girl disappear from the current spot. She deserved to free roam around the theme park. He crouched down again, facing the ghost girl as he explained.

 

“I can’t promise that, sunshine. Oppa is very busy catching bad people. If I come back just to talk to you, people might think oppa is lazy to do work.” The girl looked down sadly. “Did you ever go down here and look around the place?” The girl shook her head.

 

Kyungsoo drew a smile.

 

“Then go find a friend. Oppa is very sure there are many children around your age in this theme park. All you have to do is walk down from that stairs...” Kyungsoo pointed at the stairs where he came. “And then go to Merry Go Round, or Ferris wheel. I’m positive you’ll find one, but make sure you pick the right friend.”

 

[“Really?”] Kyungsoo nodded.

 

[“Thank you so much, oppa!”]

 

With that final word, the ghost girl vanished. His job with the ghost is done. It’s time to go back catching the real criminal.

 

 

It was hard for Kyungsoo to reach Jongin after ‘that’ happened, because Jongin didn’t speak to him much since then. It happened when Kyungsoo nervously approached Jongin in the security room. Jongin noticed Kyungsoo's return and he was being awkward. His eyes hardly met Kyungsoo’s.

 

“Oh! Um... I’m about to uh... check out the video. Are you... joining me?” Jongin changed his glance between Kyungsoo to the room.

 

“Yeah.” Kyungsoo replied without looking at him. Jongin hesitated before he walked into the room and asked the security guard to play the video. Kyungsoo caught up with him and stated the fact they are looking for vital information of the moment the workers were buckling up the victim’s seatbelts. They were hoping for a clue. However after replaying twice, they didn’t find anything that caught in their eyes.

 

“I don’t get.” Kyungsoo spoke first, frowning. “The worker must have done something during this.”

 

“What did the girl told you?” Jongin asked. Kyungsoo looked back to his notebook, repeating what he wrote.

 

“The victim took on the right seat, second of the last row. Two workers always checked on the safety belt to make sure they were tightened. I thought the part ‘always checked on the safety belt’ might have something to do with it. Did I get it wrong?” Kyungsoo pinched the bridge of his nose.

 

“No. The workers said the same thing because it’s their number one rule when comes to customer’s safety. I think we just missed small details in this video.” Jongin focused back on the video, telling the guard to keep repeating the same part. Kyungsoo was getting tired of watching, and was about to leave, Jongin perked up.

 

“Guard, can you rewind it back during the last passenger left their seat right before the victim’s turn?” Kyungsoo blinked. What was Jongin thinking? The guard nodded and he rewound it all the way back where the victim was standing in the line. Jongin looked at the video more closely than before, almost blocking Kyungsoo’s view. Just then, Jongin made a single loud clap before turning to Kyungsoo. He was smiling. Kyungsoo could tell Jongin found the vital information that he wanted.

 

“I found it. Let’s go back.” Jongin thanked the guard and gestured Kyungsoo to follow him back to the operating room, where the questioning took place.

 

“Can you just tell me?” Kyungsoo approached him.

 

“I’ll tell you later with them, D.O.-hyung. I wanted that criminal spit out the truth right in front of us. We almost got him.” Jongin said it confidently, while Kyungsoo could only smile sadly.

 

A part of Kyungsoo is jealous because Jongin is talented, like a real ace. Jongin is the perfect man. He knew what he is doing and he never makes any mistake when he proves it. His mind is simply sharp like a razor, thinking out of the box when he is stuck. No one gets out of his way when he gathers the information he needs. He usually focuses to the main point, darting straight to the bull’s eye. Kyungsoo felt envy and he wanted to be smart like him. But even Kyungsoo is so close to Jongin as a partner, he always left behind. His level compared to Jongin's was way too far. Whenever Kyungsoo tried his best to catch up with him, Jongin was always one step ahead. This made

Please log in to read the full chapter