Chapter 6: First Snow

Phantom Crimes [DISCONTINUED]
Please log in to read the full chapter

Everything was dark. Kyungsoo was standing silently, as he couldn’t tell what’s in front of him. There was no light to guide him. There was no one he could speak with. He was scared to be all alone. He wished someone could tell him where to go. He wished someone could hold his hand and take him out of the darkness. He wished for someone embraces him to ease the fear inside him.

 

Suddenly what he wished for was granted, but not entirely. A ray of light came from above, revealing a spiral staircase all the way to the endless top. He was scared to move and curious to know what was on the top. However, his feet began to move by his own will and he began to climb the stairs. It seemed to take forever, but he didn’t feel tired at all. He kept climbing, climbing and climbing, as his eyes looked up, hoping for the end.

 

Then he heard a noise of breaking glasses from below. He looked down to see one by one the steps collapsing. He was even more scared. He began to increase his climbing speed, not bothering how dangerous it was if he missed his footing. He almost tripped once on his own feet, but regained his footing back as he focused to the top. The noise of crashing glasses was getting near, and Kyungsoo desperately tried not to look down.

 

Finally, he skidded halt on a platform. The noise of breaking glasses was gone. Kyungsoo didn’t pant but was curiously asking himself what was on the platform. He took a step forward, his eyes stared at the end of the platform. It seemed like he saw something flashy, but not until he was close enough to confirm what it was.

 

Kyungsoo widened his eyes when he saw a television box not far from him. It’s the same television in the first dream. The screen still showed static, and there was nothing else to look at. He looked down a bit and he saw something small and shiny. He dared to approach closer to observe what it was, but then he made a small gasp when he saw it clearly.

 

It’s a bullet. Could it be the bullet they were talking about? Why did he have the connection with the bullet?

 

Kyungsoo was about to walk closer the bullet, the television was suddenly no longer in static. Kyungsoo halted and read the message on the screen.

 

‘You found it. But you will still lose something in the end. Dare to take it? By Reindeer.’

 

‘Who is Reindeer?’ Kyungsoo thought. He snapped when he heard the sound of cracking glasses again. He looked down and the platform began to break. There was no time for second thought, Kyungsoo rushed forward to grab the bullet. He didn’t care what the consequence he might have done because he felt the bullet would be safe with him if he had it. Right before he stretched his arm to get the bullet, the words in the screen changed and he felt uneasy when he read the next message.

 

‘It is all your fault.’

 

 

Kyungsoo snapped awake with his one fist on the air, panting heavily. It took a good moment to register what was going on, he blinked again as he looked at his fist. He was sure he grabbed that bullet, but in reality he didn’t have it with him. His arm rested on his side and looked around. He was on his bed, his sharing room with Jongin. He was in his second home. How did he end up in here? He looked under his cover, and he was no longer wearing office outfit. He groaned as he sat up but flinched immediately when his head felt a shot of pain. He rubbed his forehead as he closed his eyes, he heard someone called him.

 

“Hyung! Thank goodness you’re awake.” Kyungsoo turned to the voice. Jongin stood at the opened door. His face filled with worry.

 

“Jongin... A--aww...” Kyungsoo tried to ease the pain by shutting his eyes again. Jongin was immediately by his side.

 

“Where it hurts, hyung?” Jongin checked on him.

 

“...Head. Feels like splitting.” Kyungsoo groaned. Jongin took two pills of acetaminophen on his table and grabbed a glass of water.

 

“Swallow these and drink slowly.” Jongin helped the elder to swallow the pills and drank the water in one shot. Jongin gently rubbed Kyungsoo’s back as they sat there for another minute. The pain in the head was slowly faded but it was still there.

 

“Jongin. What... What happened to me? Last time we were at the theme park and... I can’t remember.” Kyungsoo frowned at the latter.

 

“You fainted, hyung.” Jongin replied. “Yeol-hyung said you got bothered by the ghost near the car park, that’s what it looked like to him. He didn’t know much what was going on but he panicked when you passed out on his arms.”

 

“So you guys brought me here.”

 

“Actually, you’ve been out for three hours.” Kyungsoo blinked. ‘Three hours?’ “We took you immediately to the ER and doctor said you had high blood pressure. He advised us that you need to take a rest at home. We also informed to Junmyeon-hyung about your condition, and he allowed you to take a break for today. We were all worried about you.” Kyungsoo looked down on his cover. He didn’t want this pity, to be honest.

 

“Yeol-hyung and Baekhyun-hyung had to submit today’s report. They will be back here soon.” Jongin continued as he let out a forced smile. “I made something for you to eat. You’ve skipped lunch, so I figured you must be hungry.” Kyungsoo watched Jongin walking out from the room and reenter with a bowl of chicken porridge on his hands. Jongin took a seat next to him and started to blow the hot steam out of the porridge.

 

“Be careful while it is hot. Actually, you know what? Let me feed you.” Jongin dug the porridge with the spoon and leaned closer to feed Kyungsoo. Kyungsoo couldn’t help to draw a smile at Jongin. It’s alright just once in awhile letting Jongin took care of him. Today is exceptional.

 

“You made this?” Kyungsoo asked nicely.

 

“Yeah, I didn’t get a chance to cook much. Since you take in charge of cooking meals during our day offs. So I would like to return a favor. How does it taste?” Jongin asked.

 

“Terrible.”

 

“Seriously?” Jongin jaw dropped and looked at his homemade porridge.

 

“No, I was joking. You put too much water but overall, it is good.” Kyungsoo giggled a little on Jongin reaction.

 

“Hyung, don’t tease me. I was doing my best to put you in a good shape! After I did that mistake to you back then at the theme park. I wasn’t even there to protect you.” The younger pouts.

 

“But now you already did.” Kyungsoo reached on Jongin’s arm and gave him a small squeeze. “Thanks.”

 

Jongin pulled a small smile in return and continued to feed Kyungsoo until the bowl was empty. He felt relieved when Kyungsoo slowly got better, but he wanted to make sure to follow doctor’s order. Kyungsoo needed more rest. Kyungsoo swallowed different pills which were given from the doctor after lunch. Having high blood pressure was bad for him especially when he easily got panicked. Meanwhile, Jongin was in the middle of a phone call, but Kyungsoo had a feeling this ‘someone’ in the call was probably worried about his condition.

 

“Hyung. It’s Junmyeon-hyung.” Jongin offered the cell phone to him. Kyungsoo hesitated to take it and placed to his ear.

 

“Kyungsoo speaking.”

 

“Kyungsoo! Thank god you’re okay. How are you?” That worried tone was expected.

 

“I’m fine, hyung. Just having a little headache.” Kyungsoo looked at Jongin who was listening to their conversation.

 

“I heard from Jongin that you’re taken to the emergency room. I got worried and rushed to go there but the doctor said you’re back to your apartment for further rest. Should I come over?”

 

“N--No! Hyung! You should focus on your work. Jongin can take care of me. Baekhyun and Chanyeol will do the same when they come home.” Kyungsoo explained.

 

“Is that so? Okay, then.” Junmyeon took a moment before he spoke again. “Kyungsoo, I want you to take another day off.”

 

“I told you, hyung. I’ll be fine--“

 

“With Jongin.”

 

 “Huh?” Kyungsoo raised his eye brows.

 

“This job you’ve been working on recently stressed you. I’ve been monitoring about the cases you took and this is the second time you’ve been threatened by the entities in less than a month. It’s dangerous for you to keep going, Kyungsoo. You need to heal yourself before returning to work.” Junmyeon said with a serious tone.

 

“As I said before, I’ll be fine and I don’t need another break. This is good enough for me.”

 

“Every time I heard ‘I’ll be fine’ from you, it turned out worse. So please, listen to your chief once in a while and this is for your own good. You can thank me later. Let me talk to Jongin.” His tone seemed more demanding.

 

Kyungsoo sighed in defeat. “Yes, sir.” Then he returned the cell phone back to Jongin and laid lazily on his bed. He wanted to tell everyone so bad about stop treating him like a baby. He does look small and innocent to everyone’s eyes but he took things more seriously. He kept staring at the ceiling until Jongin was done with Junmyeon.

 

“What did he say to you?” Kyungsoo asked without breaking his gaze on the ceiling.

 

“He told me to look after you, make sure you take your medicine on time and--“

 

“Go bed early, I know.” Kyungsoo shook with frustration. “He needs to stop treating me like this. He’s not my mom.”

 

“He’s just worried about you.” Jongin explained. Kyungsoo closed his eyes and turned to the other side, not facing Jongin.

 

“Just like you, Baekhyun, and Chanyeol. I don’t know if you still remember what I said last year, ‘I hate to be babysitted or else your head will be my first target’.” He can hear Jongin’s laugh as soon as he said th

Please log in to read the full chapter