Chapter 23: Foreign Society

Phantom Crimes [DISCONTINUED]
Please log in to read the full chapter

An announcement has been made for the arrival of Korean Air flight. The passengers walked out from the airplane one by one, and continued to bypass the custom. The psychologist, Do Kyungsoo, bowed thank to the lady, who checked his passport before resumed to get his luggage. The docter went to the exit before Kyungsoo followed closely until they passed a large signboard wrote ‘Welcome to China’.

 

“Here we are. China. My home sweet home.” The doctor, Zhang Yixing, pulled his widest smile, enough to reveal his dimple.

 

“Wow...” The shorter man was awed by the sight of the surroundings. China is different than he thought.

 

Another man, who was taller and younger stopped next to him and smiled. It felt like he’s going for vacation. “So this is China. I hope we can survive for a couple days, despite how difficult to understand their language. Isn’t that right, hyung?”

 

Kyungsoo looked up at his junior and smiled bitterly. It’s true, they’re excited to go overseas, but now they have to worry about themselves that they’re completely foreign to this country. The doctor smiled lightly at them before he spoke.

 

“Don’t worry about it. I’ve assigned someone will be your tour guide, and a translator. He’s a good friend of mine.”

 

“Thank god!” Oh Sehun let out a huge huff of relief when the Chinese doctor helped them.

 

Kyungsoo didn’t speak, but he was excited to see what’s around the country. Just before his excitement pumped up, he saw someone from the corner of his eyes. It was his angel, Kim Jongin, who was smiling at him. Jongin saw Sehun and the doctor reached for their luggage, so he approached Kyungsoo.

 

[“Welcome to the other side of world, hyung.”]

 

“You’re not saying this is hell, are you?” Kyungsoo joked a little, making the latter laughed.

 

[“Not really. But the feeling is so strong, don’t you think?”]

 

Kyungsoo closed his eyes, concentrating his surroundings. He heard whispers nearly everywhere. China is no joke when comes to spiritual being. He opened his eyes before blankly replied. “It does. Perhaps they’re starting to aware my presence, which worries me a bit. I need to get used to the environment first.”

 

Jongin nodded. [“I got your back. If anything comes, I’ll inform you.”]

 

“Thank you, Jongin. You’re my life saver.”

 

[“Hey, I’m your angel after all. See you later.”]

 

Kyungsoo nodded delightfully as the angel vanished. Even Jongin wasn’t around in his line of sight, but he will always there, watching from every corner. As the two returned from taking their luggage, they followed the doctor to the arrival gate. Yixing told them to find a man with Korea signboard, it should be easy to find.

 

“Ah! Yixing!”

 

Three of them surprised by the call as soon they walked out from the gate. Looks like they don’t need to find the said man. However, Kyungsoo squinted his eyes when he read a decorative signboard with a word ‘Are you D.O.? Raise both hands in the air!’ in Korean language. This man got a sense of humor.

 

“My Xing Xing! I miss you so much! I didn’t know you came along!” Ignoring the signboard, he spoke in Mandarin as he rushed to hug the doctor.

 

“Gege, I miss you too.” Yixing calmed as he released the hug. He turned to the others for introduction. “Let me introduce you my friend.”

 

“No worry, I got this.” Surprisingly, the man spoke in Korean as he held up his hand. “Hello! My name is Lu Han. Just call me Luhan if you’re older than me, or Lu-ge if you’re younger than me.”

 

“I’m pretty sure they’re all younger than you.” Yixing interrupted.

 

“Lu-ge it is! I’ll be your tour guide today, so make sure you keep sticking behind me.” Luhan’s enthusiasm reminds Kyungsoo a lot of a good friend of his, Park Chanyeol. There’s no way to forget his happy face, and when he sees it on Luhan, Kyungsoo could handle this person just fine. Aside of that, Luhan has a pretty face with mid cut brown hair, or is it handsome? He was almost mistaken him as a woman on the first glance.

 

“My name is Do Kyungsoo, or D.O. Should I raise my hands?” Kyungsoo asked politely, and Luhan giggled.

 

“You don’t have to. Yixing told me about you and wow! You’re cuter than I thought!” That compliment made Kyungsoo blushed. When Luhan turned to the other man, who’s slightly taller than him, he frowned. “And who is this? Your assistant?”

 

“Oh, no. His name is Oh Sehun. Chief Kris personally requested him to submit files.” Kyungsoo explained and the younger bowed.

 

“Nice to meet you, Lu-ge.”

 

Luhan was judging Sehun for a minute, which made the taller nervous. “I--Is there something wrong?”

 

“You can be our temporary right-hand man. Make sure no bags left behind.”

 

Sehun gawked at the older’s request and was about to open his mouth, but Luhan approached him by petting on his shoulder twice and the pinched the younger’s nose. “Smile, cutie pie.”

 

With that, Sehun watched Luhan left as he hung his mouth. Kyungsoo on the other hand, chuckled lightly. This is going to be interesting.

 

“I hate him already.” Sehun sighed as he reached his luggage.

 

“He’s actually not that bad, Sehun-ah. He’s just trying to lighten up the mood.”

 

“Yeah, but I would prefer Chanyeol-hyung over him.”

 

Kyungsoo didn’t say a word as he followed the two Chinese people to the car provided. Luhan told them they must report first to the chief before appointed them to their staying. The group didn’t decline the order as Luhan drove them to the police department. While Sehun was quiet and grumpy at the back seat, Kyungsoo alone was amazed by the scenery of the capital of China. As much the city was crowded by people, he could tell how ancient the city was unlike in Seoul, which explains why he could see small temples outside of their houses. Sometimes he happened to find faint ghosts during daytime, but he didn’t talk about it.

 

Once the car stopped by the parking lot, he knew he’s already arrived. He stepped out of the vehicle and once again, awed at how big the department was. The big sign wrote in Chinese, but thankfully he could read the small English below it; ‘SM Jingcha Department’. He couldn’t wait to see Jongdae again.

 

[“That would explain why Suho-hyung was jealous of Kris-hyung. Take a picture.”] Jongin spoke next to him, still amused by the department’s look.

 

“For once, I would like to do that.” Kyungsoo took a picture of the building and typed in ‘We have arrived!’ before he hit send to his chief. Jongin giggled like a child when he saw that.

 

They proceeded into the department, and as usual, it’s literally the same atmosphere with Seoul Department. The workers were busy with paper works, talking to the citizens, and taking calls. Except Kyungsoo’s ears were buzzing with Chinese words. Few of them looked at him as they passed through between the tables, but Kyungsoo didn’t expect to meet a familiar face from a year ago.

 

Han was there, staring at him. He was Kyungsoo’s temporary partner, and he treated the shorter like a slave. Kyungsoo feared all of a sudden and quickly looked away. Luhan told them to wait awhile, he and Yixing needed to inform their arrival before they can bring the others. As Luhan and Yixing left them, that’s when it happened.

 

“Well, didn’t expect that you would be here.” Kyungsoo heard Han’s voice. “Not going to greet your ol’ pal? How disappointing.”

 

“Han, who is he?” A worker asked him in Mandarin, but Han replied in Korean, with the purpose that Kyungsoo could understand.

 

“This is the ghost freak guy I told you long time ago. Beware of him, though. He might talk to no one or more hilariously, his only friend is the wall.” And the others around Han started to laugh.

 

It felt bad, to be honest. Kyungsoo saddened and drooped his head slightly, trying not to take it seriously. However, the laughter hurt him. They’re mocking him behind his back, and even people who he didn’t know made fun of him. Jongin saw this, and he was furious. He tried to start something, but Kyungsoo signaled him not to. Kyungsoo didn’t want Jongin to make a scene or else the workers will fear him otherwise. The laugher was still going, until someone stepped up for him, voicing out a warning tone.

 

“Han-hyung, please stop. We just got here,

Please log in to read the full chapter