Chapter 2: Revelation

Phantom Crimes [DISCONTINUED]
Please log in to read the full chapter

Kyungsoo took huge steps on the staircase all over to the top and he hoped that he reached there on time. The ghost girl told him about her poor sister who was currently on the rooftop of the college. One thing in mind when someone asking for help saving a person on top of the building.

 

To prevent the victim from attempting suicide.

 

He didn’t know what caused the poor girl to consider that, but it was wrong. It was so wrong. He wished he had Junmyeon on his side, helping him in this kind of situation. Junmyeon could do it better than him. However, the human brain reacts when it comes to panic; act first, think later. Kyungsoo didn’t even think of calling Junmyeon at the moment. He kept mumbling ‘please, please, please be on time’, and crossed his fingers that the girl didn’t do anything stupid.

 

He slammed himself on the roof door as he twisted the doorknob open, ignoring temporary pain on his arm. He looked around franticly for the girl and his steps kept in fast pace. His breathing was out of control. It felt like he’ was being chased by hungry wolves. He kept looking around but then he stopped at one corner. He closed his eyes for a moment and let out a huge sigh of relief when he saw the said girl, sitting by the edge of the roof. It took him a moment to get this normal breathing back, biting his lower lips as he stepped forward to face the real human problem.

 

“H--Hello.” Kyungsoo greeted with soft tone, trying not to surprise her.

 

The girl turned her head, facing Kyungsoo’s direction. She looked surprised and confused. Kyungsoo could see her eyes were red and swollen from crying for hours. He didn’t know what her problem was but she could use a hug. At least by doing that, it would calm her down.

 

“Don’t come closer!” She warned Kyungsoo, who tried to reach her. Her words were trembling by the fear and sadness. Kyungsoo had no choice but to approach her in different way; by talking. Good to know that taking social skill class was worthy.

 

“Okay, I won’t come near. I’m here just to talk with you. Do you have a name? My name is Do Kyungsoo, first year, taking psychology education.” Kyungsoo smiled.

 

The girl turned back to the horizon and didn’t bother to look at him. “It doesn’t matter who you are or which course you’re in. I never wanted to know you! And I don’t need a goddamn therapist!”

 

Good start, Kyungsoo. Good start.

 

“I’m a bad therapist, mind you. But you sounded like you need help. Would you like to share your story with me? Maybe... Maybe I have the same problem as yours? You know, just a normal conversation, if you're okay with that.” Again, Kyungsoo felt he made the worst start.

 

The girl took her time sobbing before she spoke. “You don’t even know what my problem is.”

 

Kyungsoo sighed lightly, brainstorming any topic he can bring out, but he couldn’t. Then the tension came back to him. He could sense the entity was nearby him. It was the same ghost girl he met at the entrance. He gave a good minute to look into her cold eyes. He used to help ghosts to solve their problems but now he planned to turn things around.

 

“I need your help.”

 

 

The three boys took awhile to chase behind Kyungsoo. At one point they almost lost him but thankfully the path they took leaded them to the rooftop. Three of them caught their breaths and immediately spotted Kyungsoo, who was looking on his left.

 

“Hey, Kyung--“ Jongin hold his arm to cut Chanyeol from calling him. His eyes were focused on the girl by the edge. When Chanyeol and Baekhyun followed Jongin gaze, they stood there stiffly and decided to listen to their conversation. Three of them were aware that Kyungsoo was trying to prevent the girl from commiting suicide. They couldn’t do anything but prayed that Kyungsoo could at least change her mind. Kyungsoo kept turning his head from his left, the girl, and then back to the his left, which made Jongin curious. He swore he saw Kyungsoo’s mouth was moving too, as if he was talking to someone, but there’s no one on Kyungsoo’s side. Who he was talking to?

 

Kyungsoo tried to start the conversation again. “So Jiyun. Is that your name?”

 

The girl's voice sounded choked when she turned sharply at him. “How did you know my name?” Jongin, Baekhyun and Chanyeol looked surprise in unison.

 

“Does it matter how I know your name? You said to yourself, you don’t want to know me. But really, you need help and I know few things about you. Can we talk about it?” Kyungsoo looked at her with eyes full of hope.

 

Jiyun looked down and tried to find her voice. “It’s... my sister... No, no. You wouldn’t understand. Why am I even talking to you--”

 

“So Jimin. She was your sister, right? Killed in car crash recently?” Kyungsoo was blunt. Jiyun’s expression changed from sadness to confusion, or rather irritation.

 

“Now hold on a minute. How in the world you know about this? We haven’t met before and you’re digging my privacy. How could you!” Jiyun raised her voice. Kyungsoo didn’t know if it worked or not, he’s trying to make Jiyun forget about her intention to jump off the roof.

 

“I’m sorry but... I-- I’ll be honest. I have these special eyes that no one has. It sounds crazy but, I can communicate with the ghost. So Jimin is...” Kyungsoo looked to his left. “She’s right here, standing next to me. She called me to talk to you.”

 

Jiyun, as well as the other three followed Kyungsoo’s gaze but clearly no one’s there next to him. He decided to continue talking.

 

“You’re so close to Jimin and she told me how much you loved her. You both were inseparable sisters. She was sorry about the arguments earlier, and supports you taking your dream job. You wanted to be a lawyer, she said to me. That accident she was in, it wasn’t your fault. It’s been fated and didn’t have anything to do with your current staying. She wanted you to achieve your dream. Do it for yourself. Do it for her. She will keep watching you, and... She loves you so much.”

 

Jiyun silently looked at Kyungsoo, blinking back tears. It took a moment before she hopped down from edge and walked back to Kyungsoo. Kyungsoo, in other hand, felt like a ton of weight on his shoulders dropped. He saved a life and avoided a crisis, he thought to himself. He didn’t notice his three friends were sighing in relief. The ghost girl which was with him before, had long gone.

 

“Prove me you’re not lying.” Jiyun asked sarcastically.

 

Kyungsoo shrugged. “No one ever lie on their last words.”

 

She chuckled lightly. “You’re a weirdo.” And she left him behind.

 

Kyungsoo took it like a dagger stabbed to his heart. ‘Weirdo’. That call fresh to his mind when he was in high school. He never thought he would hear that word again from someone who he has just saved.

 

“I am now and always.” He mumbled to himself sadly.

 

Kyungsoo began to walk back towards the exit. He felt so exhausted with everything he had done today. He wished for a bed to be spawned right next to him, so he could flop down, close his eyes for the rest of the day. But he couldn’t do that just yet, he needs to face another problem. His three best friends were there, right in front of him. He froze on the spo

Please log in to read the full chapter