Chapter 26: Viper

Phantom Crimes [DISCONTINUED]
Please log in to read the full chapter

The trip to headquarter of SM Jingcha Department was a total silence. No one was talking in the car, even the-always-beam-looking Luhan. That morning, the news of Kim Junmyeon being attacked spread like a wild fire, to at least all Police Department. Kyungsoo was worried, in fact, that it’s his closest friend. The person that almost a brother to him was injured. Also, another friend that is dumb and tall got shot and hospitalized. He couldn’t think rationally. Poison Pub was the last place he could remember about the Phantom Crimes clues. Why Junmyeon and the others were there? Why they got attacked? Kyungsoo was going to find out.

 

Kyungsoo kept staring at his shaky hands, not realizing they’ve already reached their destination. The smaller was the first to arrive in the Chief Police’s office. Everyone was there; Kris, Yixing, and surprisingly, Minseok and Jongdae. Kyungsoo frowned deeply as he looked at the Kims. He recalled it was not safe for them to wander around.

 

“Why are you two here? I thought you were in hiding?” The smaller was curious.

 

Jongdae stepped forward, his expression was unsure. “We heard the news. But Chief Suho personally informed us to gather here.”

 

“Why?” Kyungsoo sputtered without thinking.

 

Kris came into his view. “We will ask that question by the chief himself.”

 

It was not long to wait when Sehun and Luhan entered in the office with a laptop half closed. Sehun placed the laptop on the chief’s table before setting things up. Until he’s away from the laptop, they could see a clear picture of the Korean chief of police sitting in his office. Kyungsoo was about to storm at Junmyeon, but Kris stood tall in front of the laptop. He was glaring at Junmyeon.

 

“Kim Junmyeon. You’re a smart leader, not a fool. What have you done to yourself?” Kris’s voice was strong and firm, making Kyungsoo’s skin crawled.

 

The smaller took his chance to see his leader’s condition. Junmyeon’s left palm was wrapped in a bandage, and a purple bruise on his right cheek was visible. But regardless, the leader was smiling sadly at his Chinese friend.

 

“I’m alright.” He said once, before turning his eyes at Kyungsoo. “I’m alright.” He repeated the word again to make sure his small friend could see him well, and alive.

 

Junmyeon knows out of many people there, Kyungsoo was easily getting emotional. Kyungsoo closed his eyes, letting out a huge sigh of relief. To be honest, he was shaking if Junmyeon was badly injured. Seeing the chief was able to move, and talk as usual made him glad. He was about to ask what happened to him, when Kris stepped forward again, taking a short breath.

 

“You owe us some explanations.”

 

Junmyeon drew a tight smile, as his eyes staring at his flat table. Kyungsoo could tell Junmyeon was thinking by the look on his face. It’s either telling the truth or to lie. It was when the chief shifted his seat, clutching his injured hand.

 

“It was an accidental meeting with the enemy. It was all for the clues we’ve gathered. The curiosity got me, and I... You could say I was unlucky.” Junmyeon started.

 

“What do you mean by ‘accidental meeting’? I remembered the murder at the Poison’s Pub was longer involved. Why were you there?” Yixing crossed his arm as he frowned at the chief.

 

“Clues, Doctor Yixing. The clues were there. I had to check again.”

 

Kyungsoo turned to the doctor before he clarified. “It was the secret room where the possible Kims’ names were written there. Xiumin’s name was one of them.”

 

Everyone in the office nodded, and Junmyeon continued. “You see, I went back there to get the proper result of how old the names were left in there. But I did not expect a visitor, who tried to erase the evidence. I should have asked someone to guard the pub.”

 

“Did you manage to capture this ‘visitor’ person on time?” Jongdae asked.

 

And Junmyeon shook his head. “She’s a skilled fighter, I gave her that. It was too dark inside, and she did numbers on me.”

 

“She?” Kris raised his eyebrows.

 

The other nodded. “She called herself ‘Viper’.”

 

Viperidae. One of the most poisonous snakes in the world. It’s very sneaky and haste, also active during at night. Kyungsoo understood why she used the snake as her name, and how easy she took down the skillful leader. He wanted to know the whole story.

 

 

Eight hours earlier...

 

Junmyeon parked the car right in front of the closed pub, before he stepped out. It was ten in the evening where people should have left from their work, and went home. But Junmyeon wasn’t done. He needed more clues, and results from the case. He’ll dig out the new clues by his own. They’re very important, and no ordinary officers can look into it.

 

“Here we are again.”

 

Junmyeon pursed his lips as he turned to the man, who was just stepping out from a van. “I told you this isn’t a playground to get your scoop on.”

 

Baekhyun sheepishly scratched his head as Chanyeol joined to his side. “We didn’t come for the scoop. We’re curious on what you’re doing.”

 

“Revisiting the old homicide scene is a common thing to do. I have to check it out for a reason.” Junmyeon explained.

 

“All by yourself? I never heard of such a rule, at least from the police force. Besides, we’re off from working shift. Something about this place really bothered you.” Chanyeol said.

 

“And us as well. You could use us for helping hand though. It’s really dark around here.” Baekhyun drew a small smile.

 

The chief sighed visibly, before he gave up. “Alright. You guys can come with me, but I will not answer any questions regarding to this case.”

 

Baekhyun casually walked passed Junmyeon as he teased. “We’re technically half detectives, so we don’t need questions. Also to have Kyungsoo’s brain would be helpful.”

 

“Please don’t bring him into this. I’m sure he’s resting by now.” Junmyeon pleaded, and followed the younger to the back of the pub.

 

The pub area was dark as night. No lights to support them to see everything around except the street lights. Baekhyun was ahead towards the secret basement, but his steps halted right in front of the entrance. He tried to remember, but he didn’t recall the barricade tape was already cut down for the last time he visited the crime scene.

 

“Um... Chief? Did you order your men to take out the yellow tape?” Baekhyun asked without looking at Junmyeon.

 

It took a moment before Junmyeon sounded more serious. “No. Someone must have cut it down. Stay here, Baekhyun. I’m going to check inside.”

 

The younger stepped away, and Junmyeon took out his flashlight and a gun. Even the pub seemed to be isolated, and strangers could be anywhere. Chanyeol came beside him, placing one hand on the older’s shoulder to get his attention.

 

“I come with you.” Chanyeol offered, but Junmyeon shook his head.

 

“You should stay here with Baekhyun. It’s not safe.”

 

Baekhyun smiled at Junmyeon. “Nah, I’ll be fine. I’ll make sure this place is secured. There are people walking around here so it’s pretty much safe. But I’m sure you really need a hand inside there.”

 

Junmyeon was debating if he should listen to the younger, but he can’t deny it when he was right. “Okay, be safe now while we’re inside.”

 

“You too.” Baekhyun nodded both Chanyeol and Junmyeon before the duo left.

 

As expected, the hallway to the basement was darker than the outside. Junmyeon let the taller to hold the flashlight for him, since he’s focusing on any harmful target visible in his sight. He took the lead as they slowly walked further in. Nothing was unusual about their surroundings, until Chanyeol came into a dead halt before nudging the chief.

 

“Hyung, did you hear something?” Chanyeol whispered. His eyes were wide.

 

Junmyeon froze his movement, not even moving his limbs. He heard the sound of the environment, but then, there’s a faint sound of shuffling against the wall. Junmyeon was curious on what

Please log in to read the full chapter