Chapter 8: Reindeer [Part 1]

Phantom Crimes [DISCONTINUED]
Please log in to read the full chapter

That night, Kyungsoo dreamed again. He was surrounded by darkness, and only a television box was right in front of him. The screen showed the text ‘It’s your fault.’ And Kyungsoo started to dislike that word ever since the five ghosts appeared. On his right hand, clutched the hold of the bullet he’s been looking for. He stared at it for a long time, didn’t know what he’s going to do with it. But every time he looked at it, he heard a whisper of ‘sacrifice for your dears’. The bullet chose him. He is the sacrifice.

 

Kyungsoo hesitated for a moment before he swallowed the bullet. He felt the horrible metallic taste went through into his throat. Then a strong pain came right into his chest. He doubled over and clutched one hand on his chest. He looked down, heavily breathing as he brought back his hand to his line of view. It was covered in blood. He was bleeding to death. The blood didn’t stop pouring out of his chest and he felt he’s losing his conscious. This was it. It’s the end of him. He gave in his last breath as he fell to the ground with a loud thud, his vision went dark.

 

 

Kyungsoo couldn’t focus on his work since then. He felt he was always alone as he stared to the floor, ignoring that someone was actually calling his name.

 

“Mister D.O.? Mister D.O., can you hear me?” The person gave a few finger snaps to make Kyungsoo came back to reality.

 

Kyungsoo blinked quickly and turned to the person who was talking to him, his doctor. “I-- I’m sorry. I spaced out for a bit.”

 

“I can see that.” The doctor replied, writing something on his notes before he continued. “It seemed you only skipped your medications yesterday and fortunately you had one this morning. Perhaps you should continue taking them. Even though there are few signs that made you uncomfortable, panic and unfocused, I advise you to take it easy on work, Mister D.O. You’re still in a healing phrase.”

 

Kyungsoo could only nod, solemnly. The doctor looked at him for a moment before closing his note and sat down. “Would you like to talk about it?”

 

Kyungsoo frowned. “About what?”

 

“The problem you’re having. I noticed your behavior at the moment you stepped into this room. I respect your decision if you don’t want to talk about it, but it will worsen your health.”

 

Kyungsoo’s face turned grim. From the beginning, he was always the obvious one. He seemed okay when he was around with Baekhyun but then he lost his composure at the moment he met the doctor. He wasn’t sure why but the fear suddenly appeared on his face. But was alright to tell everything to the doctor?

 

“I don’t know where to start...” Kyungsoo glanced to the doctor’s name tag. “Doctor Zhang.”

 

Doctor Zhang or Yixing was transferred from China four years ago. His hair is naturally black, has a soft expression on his face, and has a signature dimples at the corner of his smile. Kyungsoo didn’t know why people in the hospital called him ‘The Healing Lay’ but there’s one thing for sure, every time when he smiled, it made him feel calm. It felt like the old Junmyeon all over again.

 

“Let’s start from beginning. I’ve read about you and your special ability. Was it about the ghosts that bothered you or was it something else before the threatening happened?” The doctor asked.

 

Kyungsoo looked down to think back what caused him being unfocused so suddenly. He got threatened by ghosts many times before but it felt like a normal routine for him in the job, so he scratched that. Maybe it was about the appearance of the five ghosts?

 

No. It’s all the way back.

 

The dream he was having since he was in college.

 

“It is... the dream I am having lately.” Yixing shifted his seat, interested on the story. “It began when I was eighteen.”

 

And Kyungsoo told him everything about his horrible dream. The black box, the television, the endless spiral staircase, the reindeer and the bullet. That’s right. The bullet is the main point where his trouble begins. Kyungsoo told the whole story to the doctor, and he leaned back on his seat, as his hand placed under his chin.

 

“Before I knew it, he said to me I only have twenty days to live.” Kyungsoo added, but the doctor didn’t react.

 

“And you believed him?” He asked as he flipped his calendar book.

 

“I think so...” Kyungsoo didn’t look so sure. The doctor still observing Kyungsoo, but he knew he needed help.

 

“Mister D.O. What did I learn about this dream phenomenon, you can’t take it lightly. Especially when it was linked to the next dream. It’s a sign. Some people might say, dreams come true.” Kyungsoo looked at him worriedly.

 

“So I have to face it? Am I really going to die?”

 

Yixing leaned on his seat. “I never say you have to face it. There’s a way to prevent it from happening.” Kyungsoo raised his eye brows.

 

“What do you mean?”

 

“When was the last time you dreamed about the bullet?” The doctor asked.

 

“Last... night.” Kyungsoo could remember the moment he dies in that dream.

 

“Then you have less than twenty days to change the fate.” The doctor said it calmly as Kyungsoo looked at him, surprised.

 

“Change the fate?” He repeated.

 

“Mister D.O. I hope you don’t mind doing an extra work. The last night dream was your final sign. Why else you’re given twenty days to wait for your death? It’s your only chance to prevent it.”

 

“How? I don’t even know where to start.” Kyungsoo shook his head.

 

“Do you have anyone that may have a grudge on you? People who are dissatisfied with you? Or enemies?” Again, he shook his head.

 

“As far as I know there’s no one. I never made any enemies because uh... You can say I’m a quiet type.” He looked down as he flustered a bit. Yixing drew a smile, acknowledge on what he just said.

 

“I understand how quiet type behaves. You usually keep yourself in low profile. It’s not good but it’s not a bad either. It’s okay to be shy. It’s just you need to work up on self- confidence." Kyungsoo nodded quietly.

 

Then Yixing brought his hand under his chin, thinking deeply. Kyungsoo could only sit there, waiting for the doctor to say anything. The doctor tilted his head then leaned forward, placing his elbows on the table.

 

“I would say it’s quite difficult to think any resolution on your problem. You aren’t a type who can make any enemies for a long period. Which only I can suggest is get a protective charm for precaution. I hate to say this but I was hoping that if you could dream about it again tonight for further progression.” Yixing said it with a concern on his face.

 

“Protective charm? You mean... an amulet?” Kyungsoo’s mind clicked. The ghost did mention about getting an amulet yesterday. Was it a coincidence? Was the ghost not telling him everything?

 

“Yes, an amulet. Usually people like us, Chinese people have them in our possession, since our spiritual beliefs are strong. It protects us from ghosts, bad luck, and sometimes gives us good fortune. I’m quite surprised you mentioned about it.” Yixing took a paper and wrote something on it.

 

“Oh uh... My friend told me about it, but at that time I wasn’t interested.” Kyungsoo half lied about it.

 

“I knew a place where you can get it legally. Just mention my name, she will know what to do. And I want you to come again if you got anything new about the dream. Also please keep track on your days and your medications. They are very important.” Yixing passed him a paper with an address on it.

 

Kyungsoo took it and bowed. “Thank you, doctor. I’ll make sure I give you a call.” He stood and Yixing kept watching him as he left the room. Instantly, Yixing’s face fell. He placed his hand hard on his forehead, biting his lower lip before he made a heavy sigh.

 

“Not this again.” He mumbled and turned his head to where Kyungsoo left. “I hope... I really hope he’s going to be okay. This Christmas killer needs to be stopped as soon as possible.”

 

 

When Kyungsoo stepped out from the doctor’s room, he bumped into a person right in front of him. He didn’t see this person was standing so near from the door, causing him took a step back and quickly apologize.

 

“I’m sorry! I didn’t see you standing right ther--- Jongin?” Kyungsoo shocked when he recognized who he was.

 

“Hey, hyung. It’s alright. It should be my fault standing too close to the door. Anyway, Baekhyun-hyung had an emergency call from the News Department earlier, so he told me to take over instead.” Jongin smiled. “So how did the check up go?”

 

“It went... fine.” Kyungsoo didn’t want to make Jongin worry about him, so he had to make up a word for it. “Jongin, I’m sorry you came through all the way here, but I have to go to somewhere else.”

 

“Should I accompany you?” Jongin approached.

 

“No!” Kyungsoo held his hands up, which startled Jongin. “I mean, no. It won’t take too long. I’ll meet you up later this evening.” Kyungsoo rushed as he left Jongin behind, speechless. Jongin wanted to call him back but he was already gone.

 

Kyungsoo felt bad for Jongin for not taking him along, but he’s in a cruci

Please log in to read the full chapter