Chapter 22: Next Target [Part 3]

Phantom Crimes [DISCONTINUED]
Please log in to read the full chapter

Poison Pub’s didn’t get less crowded one bit. More civilian came by just to know what actually happened in the pub. They’re more surprised by the news of a dead victim. For those who lived in that area, they knew the pub was always a bad place, but they never heard any killings occurred until now. Plus, the victim was a normal lady with a normal life. Knowing that she’s gone was a lost to them.

 

However, behind the pub was a different story. The shorter was embraced by the taller, as they rocked left and right slowly to calm the smaller down. While the two best friends were talking to each other, surprised by the smaller’s phobia.

 

“He was afraid of the dark?” Jongdae blinked.

 

Baekhyun nodded sadly. “He couldn’t handle pitch black, just like how he’s afraid of the graveyard. If you match these two together, I don’t think Kyungsoo could survive.”

 

Jongdae and Baekhyun looked back at the other two friends. Chanyeol was still cooing over terrified Kyungsoo. Fortunately, Kyungsoo had stopped shaking, before Chanyeol leaned down to look at the smaller.

 

“Are you okay now?” He asked.

 

Kyungsoo nodded lightly as his eyes focused on the ground. Chanyeol lifted his head up, signaling Jongdae to come over. The detective came instantly before reaching Kyungsoo’s shoulders to ensure he’s okay. Seeing Kyungsoo froze without saying anything, he scanned around to look for his little brother. Oddly enough, he couldn’t find him.

 

“Where’s Jongin?”

 

Kyungsoo tensed. He didn’t expect Jongdae would ask that, but again, there’s no way the brother would leave his little brother unmentioned. Jongdae looked closely at Kyungsoo’s reaction and he firmly asked again with appropriate question.

 

“D.O., Where’s Kai?”

 

Kyungsoo hung his head low, and shook his head slightly. Perhaps he was too scared to answer, so Jongdae let it slide for a moment. Just in time, Sehun came to inform them that the hidden room was now lightened with the spotlights. Jongdae asked the other two friends to take over Kyungsoo, while he and Sehun went inside to check things up. They both agreed and did a non-stop pestering Kyungsoo with comfort. Kyungsoo supposedly went inside with Jongdae. He still had the evidence in his small bag, so he decided to join Jongdae and Sehun after he calmed down.

 

He slowly stepped into the passageway, surrounded by lights and policemen fortunately. They’re inspecting any details on the walls such as hidden switches and messages. However, they’re nothing but walls. As Kyungsoo reached the room, he could see it clearly. The room was clearly nothing except a table, smudged markers, ripped papers on the ground where Kyungsoo didn’t check before. But mostly Jongdae was busy over the papers on the table.

 

“There’s so much to look.” He said to Sehun.

 

Sehun snapped a photo before answered. “Perhaps this is one of their basements.”

 

“One of them?” Jongdae looked up at him.

 

“Logically speaking, they’re a big group. This basement is just too small for them. Besides, they’re everywhere between two countries.”

 

Jongdae nodded at Sehun’s logic. When he turned around, he noticed Kyungsoo.

 

“Um... Chen? I need to show you something.” Kyungsoo approached and took out some paper pieces. He spread them on the table, and both Jongdae and Sehun leaned down to look closer. Those were all keywords about the case. However, those clues won’t lead them too far.

 

“As much these clues are the start of the case, we still need a lead. D.O., I still need to speak with Kai.”

 

“He’s...” Kyungsoo hesitated. “He’s still not around.” Jongdae huffed a little, but Kyungsoo decided to distract him; distract himself with a clue he found on the wall. “Also, there’s... another one.”

 

“You do?” Jongdae widen his eyes slightly.

 

Kyungsoo reached for Jongdae’s sleeve, and tugged him at the corner of the room, where he found Jongin’s name. Once they found it, Jongdae stood right in front of it and gasped. Now that the room lit up, they could see more names.

 

“I can’t believe it how I missed this crucial clue!” Jongdae hung his mouth.

 

“The names blended with the color of the wall, so we nearly missed them.” Kyungsoo replied, but Jongdae was too focused on the names.

 

It was just Jongin’s name, but there were other unknown names scribbled and on the wall. Most of them were blurry, but readable. Sehun took the chance to snap pictures on the names. They have to look the names up before the killer could find the target. It was not long until Jongdae knelt down to read a blur name. He flashed his torchlight, squinted his eyes to read the name, and then he immediately jumped. Kyungsoo took a good look on his face, and surprised when he found Jongdae’s pale face.

 

“Chen? What’s wrong?” Kyungsoo concerned.

 

“No... No, no, no, no. This can’t be happening.” Jongdae shakily took out his smartphone and tried to call someone.

 

Kyungsoo could hear the ringing noise echoing the small room, but the receiver didn’t pick up. Jongdae called again, and after several times, he rushed out of the room and never returned. Kyungsoo and Sehun were dumbfounded by his action, and Kyungsoo turned around to read the name which panicking Jongdae. Another name that he had never seen or heard before, just like Doctor Zhang Yixing.

 

The name ‘Kim Minseok’ was circled in red.

 

 

The next day, Jongdae didn’t come into the office.

 

“What?!” Kyungsoo’s round eyes went wide when he heard the news from the chief.

 

“This is too sudden, but Chen was desperate. He had to go back to China.” Junmyeon leaned heavily on his office chair.

 

Kyungsoo couldn’t believe it. “But... why?!”

 

“Chen found a name that linked to Jingcha. Unfortunately, he let his emotion took over him so...”

 

“The name Kim Minseok? Who is he, sir?” Kyungsoo asked politely, and Junmyeon calmly replied.

 

“Kim Minseok, or his codename Xiumin, is Chief Kris’s assistant, and also Jongdae’s caretaker for past four years. Now that the group has his name, Xiumin is one of their targets.”

 

Kyungsoo gulped lightly. This Minseok guy could possibly Jongdae’s best friend too. He knew the feeling when his friends are in danger, but what worries him more that Jongdae was away. The group could take advantage of him.

 

“Chief, while they have their eyes on Xiumin, shouldn’t we worry more about Chen? They had him before and we’re letting him go alone to China. It’s dangerous!”

 

Junmyeon sighed. “Are you suggesting we should follow him? We still have unfinished case to settle.”

 

Kyungsoo stepped forward, locking his eyes on him. “Then let me go to China.” Junmyeon looked at him in astonishment before he continued. “Chen is my partner, and I’m sure he’s expecting me to follow. He needs me.”

 

Junmyeon was still staring at him, and his expression darkened. “Kyungsoo. I was afraid you might say that, but no. I won’t allow you.”

 

“Why not?!” Kyungsoo clutched his fist.

 

“China is a country with full of strong spiritual beings. Furthermore, you’re not fully well since you had a panic attack when you got trapped in the pub.” Kyungsoo winced. “And this is for your own safety. You’ll be staying here until Chen returns.”

 

Kyungsoo didn’t say anything at first, as he stared down, avoiding Junmyeon’s eyes. Then he opened his mouth. “Hyung, you can’t keep me forever. I’m not a child anymore.” Everything went silent as Junmyeon looked up at Kyungsoo without a word, and Kyungsoo continued talking. ”I don’t want to lose Jongdae like how I lost Jongin. I’ve promised to someone that I must look after him, even though I’m not as strong as him. But please, Junmyeon-hyung if I lose him...”

 

Junmyeon placed his arms on the table. “Kyungsoo.” He pressed the psychologist’s name. “I have many, many people to look after, especially you. As much I’m worried about Jongdae, he will be alright. Don’t worry. He had his mates in Jingcha that will look after him, but you? You don’t have anyone.” Kyungsoo bit his lower lip. As much he hated the answer, but it’s the truth. China is a foreign place for him. “I’ll check Jongdae from time to time, so you better take care of yourself. Or else I’ll make you. You’re dismissed.”

 

The smaller looked at his chief painfully before he dragged his legs out from the office. Once he settled himself in his chair, he stared nothing but his own table. He was clueless without Jongdae around, and the more he thought about it, the more pressure he’s getting.

 

“Jongin. Are you here with me?”

 

There’s no answer.

 

“...Of course not.” Kyungsoo laid his head on the table, letting out a frustrated groan.

 

It’s past three days without a news of Jongdae and update about the bullet on the victim, Kyungsoo skipping most of his medications. He took a lot of caffeine instead, hoping he could focus on paperwork, but ended up slamming his face on them. Until one time, his brain couldn’t take it anymore; he began to get hallucination in his dream.

 

 

Kyungsoo trapped in a closed room, only with one light illuminating the area. He tried to find an exit, but the walls kept closing in. He desperately gave a loud bang on the walls before he managed to crack one of them and escaped. But it wasn’t for too long. He was greeted later by a masked animal man, who stood still from the spot and his body shivered. It’s a mask of a deer, but it doesn’t have horns.

 

It’s different than the reindeer that he always saw in his dream, but this deer seemed nice somehow? The deer approached nervously before tugging Kyungsoo by the sleeve. It told him to follow him, but to where? Kyungsoo was afraid at first, but seeing the deer’s intention in a good way, he silently followed him through the darkness until there’s a door with a lamp on the ceiling. The deer insisted Kyungsoo to go to the door and when Kyungsoo about to reach the doorknob...

 

There’s a loud gunshot.

 

Kyungsoo whipped his head around, and stunned after seeing the deer collapsed to the floor, unmoving. He made a soundless gasp and knelt down, trying to revive him. He shook him several times, but no use. The shooter wasn’t around them when he tried to find one, but he had to save him at any cost.

 

He shakily searched a way to remove the mask, so the person could breathe. However, he froze completely once the mask was removed. The deer was dead, and Kyungsoo stared at the face for the longest time, ignoring the blood had formed a pool under the body. The tears began to roll down without any intention of stopping, because he had regretted everything.

 

Inside that masked deer, Jongdae was dead under his arms, and Kyungsoo did nothing to save him. He slowly pulled his dead partner under tight embrace, screaming for his name for cou

Please log in to read the full chapter