Chapter 4: Wild Ride [Part 1]

Phantom Crimes [DISCONTINUED]
Please log in to read the full chapter

Two years ago, Kyungsoo and Jongin were assigned in SM Police Department, while Chanyeol and Baekhyun were assigned in SM News Department. Although they were in different locations, it took them less than five minutes to meet each other. Coincidentally, their department buildings were next to each other. They didn’t even plan to split up after their graduation, so they ended up being roommates again on their new apartment.

 

SM Police Department where managed by Junmyeon, who was promoted to Police Chief by his father’s friend. He knew Junmyeon had the potential to be a leader and he had worked on several cases neatly. Kyungsoo was proud of him. Since then, Junmyeon has given permission to open new ideas, new changes to the department, and the first thing he did was introducing a new system in solving cases. This brings Kyungsoo into the attention. He took a job as psychologist, not to counsel the people, but the entities. Because Kyungsoo was the only one that had the ability, he managed to pull the true statement out of the dead people. Many cases were solved smoothly and it’s been going like this for months.

 

There’s one rule in SM Police Department: that they won’t use their real names during work. Junmyeon was given the code name ‘Suho’ by his father’s friend. Jongin chose the code name ‘Kai’, because it sounded awesome to him. Kyungsoo took the longest time to decide for his code name, until he remembered his old nickname; D.O. It’s true that his old nickname brings bad memories to him, but it’s all has passed. He was going to prove that the name D.O. was a capable man on work.

 

For two years he’s been in the same Department, the same office and the same partner, he never got tired of it. He loved his job. Unlike today, it’s different than the other day. He has been leaning heavily on his office chair, started to blink his eyes open. He didn’t remember how he passed out on his chair after the coffee break, but his body felt tired.

 

“Good morning, sunshine. How’s the nap?” Kyungsoo rubbed his eyes and looked at Jongin who was sitting on the sofa, smiling.

 

“Good ‘afternoon’ to you too. Why didn’t you wake me up? It’s working hour.” Kyungsoo shifted his seat and stretched his arms.

 

“Well, first. You got threatened by the ghost and your body couldn’t handle the cold. You still owe me one over a cup of coffee. And second, I can see dark bags under your eyes. I figured you needed some rest.” When Kyungsoo heard ‘bags under eyes’, he quickly grabed a small mirror inside the drawer of his desk. He instantly checked his eyes but they didn’t look terrible as he thought. He knew he didn’t sleep late last night. In fact, he was always the person who went bed early.

 

Jongin stood up and fiddled with his cell phone. “The second part was actually a joke.” He said without looking at Kyungsoo. Kyungsoo glared at him and almost slammed his small mirror on the table out of annoyance. Lately, Jongin, including Chanyeol and Baekhyun, had pulled many pranks on him because they said ‘it’s fun to tease D.O.’, and Kyungsoo will return the favor with his death stare or a hard slap on the shoulder. Sometimes when the prank went too far, he would headlock them.

 

“Anyway, Baekhyun-hyung invited us to meet their new member ten minutes ago. You want to check it out? Who knows, maybe they got a case for us.” Jongin slid back his cell phone in his pocket.

 

“New member? Oh, right. They did say they trained someone a month ago. They need an additional working partner on their team. I wonder who this lucky person is.” Kyungsoo stood up and wore his jacket.

 

Kyungsoo and Jongin entered the News Department building and were greeted first by Baekhyun, who happened to be arranging his paperwork.

 

“Hey! I didn’t expect you guys! I thought Kyungsoo needed more time to rest, so you can come back later on the next day.” Baekhyun said.

 

“Nah. Kyungsoo-hyung wanted to see the new guy so bad. The nap can wait.”

 

“Correction. I was just interested.”

 

“It’s the same thing!” Jongin won over their small argument and Baekhyun just shrugged.

 

“Well, the new guy is at the Editor’s Room with Chanyeol. Help yourself out. I’ll come join you guys later.” Baekhyun pointed the room on his back, before resuming to his work. Jongin and Kyungsoo nodded and made their way to the Editor’s Room.

 

The Editor’s Room was, as expected, filled with computers and papers. They said this is where all the reports were collected and edited into proper news to be published on their newspapers and articles. They had to be careful not to make a mess in the room. Jongin searched around the room to find Chanyeol, who happened to be located far back in the room. He gestured for Kyungsoo to follow him. Kyungsoo sometimes exchanged glances to the computer screens as they walked through. He kept seeing the news about accidents, murders, lifestyles and even rumors. He didn’t want to think about it.

 

“Kai! Baby Soo! My man!” Kyungsoo was wincing at the nickname while Chanyeol busy patting Jongin’s back. He already told Chanyeol many times to stop calling him that and he still wouldn’t listen to him. Chanyeol is persistent as ever. Kyungsoo turned to a blond man on the office work table, who was looking curiously at them. He has never seen this man before, but he doubted this was the new guy they’ve been talking about.

 

“Oh, right! Let me introduce this awesome guy! His name is Oh Sehun and just got transferred here this morning. Guess what? He’s around your age, Kai.” Chanyeol gestured the guy to stand up and placed one arm around his shoulder.

 

To Kyungsoo surprise, Sehun had a good looks. Too skinny but attractive. However, he was a bit disappointed that Sehun was quite tall, almost as Chanyeol. He was worried if Chanyeol was going to brainwash Sehun sooner or later, he would become another member that just like Jongin. Sehun politely bowed after Chanyeol introduced their friends names, smiling sweetly. Sehun had a raspy, moderately deep voice and the quietest among Chanyeol’s and Baekhyun’s. At first, Kyungsoo liked his attitude, until a week later his pure attitude changed. Because Sehun was stuck between his seniors, he started to chirp ‘Yehet!’ as he accomplished his work and playfully did ‘aegyo’ faces when Chanyeol came to tease. What a bunch of jokers.

 

 

“Hyung, we got a scoop!” Sehun turned from his laptop to Baekhyun and Kyungsoo. There were three of them in the Editor’s Room while Chanyeol and Jongin were running an errand.

 

“Alright. Impress us, maknae.” Baekhyun already smiled since Sehun did a good job picking interesting topics to make the news. But this topic back fired him.

 

“Five minutes ago, a caller reported a young man fell from the roller-coaster due to loose safety belt. However, the worker confirmed he had checked and tightened the victim’s safety belt with the proof of a surveillance video. He’s on question with the police, but they were short of evidence. So how about it?”

 

“Sehun, do you hate me that much?” Baekhyun made a deadpan look

Please log in to read the full chapter