Chapter 24: Clueless Clues

Phantom Crimes [DISCONTINUED]
Please log in to read the full chapter

Jongin surely didn’t recall being in the darkness. All he remembered was tucking his lover to bed, and unintentionally closed his eyes. Seeing himself awake in the dark was something unfamiliar. He looked around to see f there’s a light to follow. The gods always tell him whenever he’s in the dark, there’s always a light will appear. However, he couldn’t find any. He began to search, hoping his legs will go on the right track.

 

He couldn’t tell how long he’s been walking, but he has a faith he will find a single light. And he was right. The light wasn’t far, and his pace quickened to approach it. While he was certain, it will be the exit, but he found something else that he wasn’t expected at all. His smile fell when he saw the light was actually a ceiling light inside a small room.

 

And in the small room, there stood a frantic Kyungsoo.

 

The poor man tried to find his way to break the walls. Jongin couldn’t get it why he was doing that, but after further inspection, the walls were slowly closing in. He felt the adrenaline rushed into his body as he began to sprint forward, but he let out an annoying groan when someone grabbed his arm from behind. His eyes glared to whoever that person was. But he frowned immediately when it was the reaper who stood tall behind him.

 

[“Tao. Let me go.”] The angel sounded serious.

 

[“No. This is not your job.”] The reaper insisted, and Jongin pulled harder.

 

[“He’s in trouble! It’s my job to save him!”]

 

Tao was stronger as he pulled hard enough to make Jongin stumbled backward. [“Open your mind, Kai! Do you know where we are?! Look around before you decide to break his soul!”]

 

Jongin fell on the dark ground, or floor, he couldn’t tell. He winced as he sat up, but he kept silently to himself, wondering what Tao meant to ‘break his soul’. Tao saw that Jongin didn’t make any crazy move, he continued to talk.

 

[“This is your first time, am I right? If I didn’t stop you, you’ll regret it. Gosh, this reminds me so much when I was you back then.”]

 

[“What the hell are you rambling about?”] Jongin watched him flailing about before Tao calmed himself.

 

[“That Kyungsoo guy over there?  You’ve to be careful with it. That’s his soul.”] Tao pointed at frantic Kyungsoo, and Jongin seemed couldn’t believe it, so the reaper explained further. [“We’re in his dream, or nightmare. For some reason, Kyungsoo needed us to be with him, which I don’t understand why I was called over.”]

 

Jongin slowly stood up, switching glance between Tao and Kyungsoo. He knew Kyungsoo had a bad dream recently, but he never knew what it was. Kyungsoo told him that Jongdae was in trouble. He watched him dead in that dream. What Kyungsoo needed the most was Jongin but Tao was right on the point where Jongin couldn’t understand why Tao was needed.

 

Both of them watched as Kyungsoo finally broke one of the walls and looked around. At one point, Kyungsoo was facing them, but he didn’t seem to notice they’re standing there. He began to walk away from them and Jongin instantly followed him as long he kept his distance. Tao tagged along without a word, he was curious what the dream all about.

 

Tao surprised to see when the deer masked man appeared before them. The deer was harmless and tried to help Kyungsoo. Jongin was curious, but seeing his good intention, he decided to trust him. However, seeing Tao didn’t move from the spot, he broke the silence.

 

[“Hey. What’s wrong? Are you coming?”]

 

Tao spoke softly. [“I think... I think I know why I was called.”]

 

Jongin was about to ask, but Tao already sprinted passed him. What Tao said made him curious, even more. He chased the reaper until they find a door where it could be lead the way out, but he jumped when the loud bang came out. He whipped his head around to find where the sound came from. Since it’s too dark to see, he huffed in frustration.

 

[“...Kai.”]

 

Jongin turned when Tao called him. Tao was staring at the body, which was getting shot. Jongin already knew the body belongs to his own brother, and he didn’t say a word. His heart clenched when he saw his lover holding close to the dead body. Kyungsoo was screaming, but yet, no voice came out. It’s just a bad, bad dream. Jongin may be alarmed by Tao’s warning. Jongdae’s death would be the last thing he wouldn’t want to watch.

 

But he was wrong. He noticed something on the spot. Tao wasn’t kidding when he was asked to look at the body. The body that Kyungsoo embraced so tight isn’t Jongdae.

 

It is Sehun.

 

[“I don’t get it. Wha-- I thought-- I thought he said it was Jongdae-hyung!”]

 

Jongin couldn’t believe it. Why would Kyungsoo lied about his dream? Kyungsoo even cried that time and begged Jongin to save Jongdae. Was this a mistake? Jongin looked at Tao, and he was completely stoned. His eyes stayed wide, even concealing the black eyes under the lids. Jongin couldn’t help but to ask.

 

[“Don’t tell me you knew Sehun.”] If Tao knew Sehun, then he would ask further how they knew each other.

 

However, Tao looked back at him, feeling offended. [“Who is Sehun? I’m pointing out the body isn’t Chen-ge!“]

 

As Tao tried to continue, he hesitated and Jongin waited for his answer. It’s obviously Tao didn’t know Sehun. They never met each other. Jongin let out a huge sigh as he pushed his hair back.

 

[“Listen. I don’t want to argue about this. But I see the body right there is Sehun. Gosh, I need to get out of here and tell him.”]

 

[“You said you’re seeing Sehun? Is it really Sehun?”] Tao asked desperately and Jongin could only nod. The reaper looked back at the dead body, before gulping lightly.

 

[“What I see that body is... Xiumin-ge.”]

 

 

Jongin gasped sharply along with Kyungsoo next to him, but Kyungsoo seemed he had trouble breathing, Jongin quickly hold onto him. Kyungsoo was gasping for the air, and at the same time tried to speak, but all came out the words that Jongin couldn’t understand.

 

[“Breathe, hyung. Breathe slowly.”] Jongin cooed while rubbing the older’s back.

 

Kyungsoo followed his advice and calmed down for a minute. He, then, looked up at Jongin, worry written all over his face.

 

“I dream of him again. I can’t do anything. Jongdae...” He slowly looked down, clutching tight on the blanket.

 

[“Shh. Shh. It’ll be okay. He’s still alive, right? We’ll find him tomorrow.”]

 

Kyungsoo nodded quietly and they didn’t speak a word. Jongin could ask what he saw, but he was unsure if Kyungsoo is ready to hear him. Everything he saw in Kyungsoo’s dream was obscure. He kept questioning himself why each of them saw a different person.

 

“Jongin? Are you okay?”

 

Jongin snapped when Kyungsoo found him staring at the empty space. Since the older has asked, Jongin decided to tell him.

 

[“There’s something important I want to tell you. But I don’t think you’re ready to listen just yet.”]

 

Kyungsoo looked at him sadly, placing his hand on top of him. “How important?”

 

That made Jongin regretted even more when mentioning in the first place. [“As in what I saw different person in a dream.”]

 

The older shifted to look at Jongin better. “It’s now or never. If this is about me, then I’m willing to listen. I won’t rest until I found out how we can avoid Jongdae from getting murdered.”

 

[“All I want you to calm down and listen carefully what I’m about to say.”] Jongin paused a moment. [“I was in your dream, and I saw what you meant. But who I saw wasn’t Jongdae-hyung. It was Sehun.”]

 

Upon hearing Sehun’s name, Kyungsoo didn’t know what to say. He stared at Jongin, as if he’s a stranger. He tried to open his mouth and the words were stuck. He was stuttering.

 

“Se--Sehun? N--no. It can’t be Sehun. N--- not our Sehun. Jongin, please. He didn’t do anything wrong. Out of many people, I don’t want Sehun to be involved.”

 

[“Hyung...”]

 

Jongin reached to caress the older’s hair, while on the other hand, he was holding tight against Kyungsoo’s cold hand. He knew Kyungsoo didn’t prepare for this, but he had to keep going.

 

[“I wasn’t alone in that dream.”] Kyungsoo kept quiet as he listened. [“Tao was there with me. He didn’t know why he was there in the first place. However, he didn’t see either Jongdae-hyung or Sehun who died. He said he saw Xiumin.”]

 

The angel waited for Kyungsoo’s reaction and all he was seeing, the older was overwhelmed by lots of information. Plus, what Jongin just said made the situation more complex than it was. Kyungsoo seemed to be in deep thought when he concluded each of them saw different people, three different victims that possibly died in one day.

 

[“Hyung?”]

 

He couldn’t understand why Sehun was involved. Sehun is only a kid who does a normal job as News Editor. Jongdae and Xiumin are an exception since their family name is Kim, but Sehun? Kyungsoo would like to figure out as soon as possible. If he keeps Sehun here, then...

 

[“Kyungsoo-hyung?”]

 

A shook from Jongin made Kyungsoo blinked into reality. All the thinking made both of them worried, and it is Jongin’s job to keep the older safe. He placed his arm around Kyungsoo’s shoulders to reassure him.

 

[“It’s not going anywhere if we keep thinking about it. You’re very tired too. So let’s hope Chief Kris will let us see Jongdae-hyung. If he’s not, then... We have no choice to tell them.”]

 

“I don’t know... What if it turns out to be bad?”

 

[“They’ll... Just talk to Kris-hyung tomorrow, okay?”]

 

Jongin would say ‘they’ll end up like me’, but that’s not the right way to say. Kyungsoo nodded lightly before he lay down on the bed, pulling his angel on the process. He would never sleep peacefully without Jongin by his side. Lately he became clingy, since the young said he won’t be around for long. But that night, Jongin knew Kyungsoo couldn’t get a peaceful sleep for the full four hours.

 

The next time Luhan saw him in the car, Kyungsoo yawned for the nth times.

 

“I see someone enjoyed too much sightseeing at night.”

 

Kyungsoo blinked, realizing Luhan was talking about him. “Oh, I’m sorry. You can say China is a wonderful place. I couldn’t even close my eyes for once!”

 

Luhan took it as a compliment, even though Kyungsoo was actually lying. The Chinese man kept talking about good attractive locations in China, which he wanted to show them during free time, and Kyungsoo wasn’t even paid attention as he casually nodded. Meanwhile, Sehun, who sat at the backseat, didn’t speak a word. He was still annoyed how Luhan treated him unlike Kyungsoo.

 

 

“I do hope you two had a comfortable rest. Is there any problem with the rooms?” Kris asked both Kyungsoo and Sehun. Even Kris tried to be nice, they’re still nervous to say anything.

 

“The apartment is great. Thank you for giving us a place to stay, chief.” Kyungsoo bowed, following by Sehun.

 

Kris drew a small smile before waved his hand to stop them being polite. He appreciated them being respectful.

 

“But I hope you don’t mind me.” Kris gave permission for Kyungsoo to continue to speak. “I would like a request to meet Chen as soon as possible.”

 

“Denied.” Kris immediately declined him. As much Kyungsoo wanting so hard to plead him, it won’t work against the Chinese chief. However, a few things that Kyungsoo couldn’t miss by looking at Kris’s face. Kris looked troubled, as much he did a lot of effort to conceal his poker face.

 

“His location will remain top secret. We all had been informed both Xiumin and Chen are their targets, and I won’t allow any of you to take the risk. Especially, you. Do Kyungsoo.” Kyungsoo tensed when Kris strictly pressed his real name, with the sharp eyes that imitated him to speak.

 

It was soon after that, the remaining Chinese comrades entered the office, getting ready for the meeting. Kris broke the glare, pretending there’s nothing happened between them. While Kyungsoo’s shoulders lowered. He was slightly relieved, but disappointed at the same time. He wished someone who was brave enough to speak behalf of him.

 

“Now that we’re all here. Sehun-sshi, your report, please?” Kris ordered and Sehun nodded.

 

He placed down all the Korean new reports, and copies of old newspaper clips about the incident. Kyungsoo took a look on headlines and mostly about the serial killer. Luhan came by to place his newspaper clips that he collected in their department, except that they’re all in Mandarin.

 

“Take your time to read. These are all news reports about the unknown killer. For now we establish the file name ‘Phantom Crimes’; where we never knew who or what that commit the crime. This murderer is very well hidden, as if they knew what they’re doing.” Kris explained.

 

Kyungsoo picked up one by one to read the newspaper clips, but then he stopped on one clip before looking up at the chief. “I can’t read Chinese.”

 

Kris narrowed his eyes at his friend. “Luhan, you forgot your job.”

 

“What do think I am? 101 Languages Translating System? It’s nearly forty pages with trillion words! There’s no way I’m going to translate all of them!” Luhan whined.

 

“Then don’t just stand there, go help this poor boy!” Kris rolled his eyes as Luhan lazily walked to Kyungsoo.

 

The others snickered at the scene, but they’re so good to hold their laughter. Meanwhile, Kyungsoo silently listened to Luhan translating the words, as the others were busy talking that he couldn’t understand one bit. Until one moment, Kris and the others had attended an errand, while Sehun went to an unoccupied office desk to use the computer. It’s just Luhan, Jongin and Kyungsoo busy over the news clips.

 

“’The crime had a devastating impact on the public...’ Okay, you know what? I’m not going to read all of these. It’s a waste of time.” Luhan sighed heavily as he leaned lazily on the couch.

 

Kyungsoo switched glances between Jongin and Luhan, pitying over the older, who had to translate every single Chinese report.

 

“Luhan-hyun-- I mean, Luhan-ge.”

 

Hearing how Kyungsoo tried to address Luhan’s name, he told Kyungsoo he accepts any name. So Kyungsoo tried again. “Luhan-hyung, you can tell me what you know about the case. It’s easier that way.”

 

“Sure, but don’t tell the chief I keep it brief. He never likes it.” And Kyungsoo nodded. “Before we start, what do you know about the case so far?”

 

Kyungsoo shifted his sitting position, deeply thought about how many information he got in Korea. “Five victims, all of them got

Please log in to read the full chapter