Chapter 9: Reindeer [Part 2]

Phantom Crimes [DISCONTINUED]
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

Trigger Warning: This chapter contains character death.

 

The whole week that night, Kyungsoo’s dream didn’t change one bit. He still dies in the dream, and every time he got up and went to work, he felt tired day after day. He didn’t want to show his fatigued figure especially in front of his friends, so he pushed himself to look normal. His friends didn’t give him any sign on wearing the bracelet yet. He assumed they will wear it during Christmas, he hoped so. He wore the white bracelet all the time, but he kept it hidden under his sleeves.

 

Kyungsoo didn’t forget to count his days. Ten days left. He could count with his fingers. It felt like long hours to go but in reality, time passed so fast without him realize. These last ten days, he would write his daily routine in his journal. There’s nothing happening today, as he’s sitting in his office all day, including going to lunch and dinner with his mates like usual. He also took a note on the doctor’s advice to take his medicine on time. Except one time he fell asleep on his desk.

 

Nine days before Christmas.

 

Kyungsoo received a case. There was a murder at the alleyway behind a pub. Cause of death was a shot to the chest in a short range. He and Jongin went to the crime scene right away, and fortunately, the case was solved within twelve hours. With Kyungsoo’s help, they managed to capture the criminal before he flew out of the country. Kyungsoo didn’t feel the need to celebrate their success, he felt otherwise. Seeing the victim face that lying lifelessly on the ground reminded him that it was his fate on Christmas. He took his word back about being ready to face death.

 

Eight days before Christmas.

 

The snow started to fall occasionally. Chanyeol didn’t stop talking about it. He kept saying how much he spent his time throwing snowballs at college mates without fail two days before Christmas. To be honest, he was one of the snowball fight victims. Even though he got pissed off every time he was hit by a snowball, but now that he thought of it, it’s a nice memory he will never forget. He could ask Chanyeol to play snowball with him again one day.

 

Seven days before Christmas.

 

Baekhyun texted him a message right before lunch hour.

 

[Have you done your Secret Santa yet? You have one week before Christmas. On the night before Christmas, I’ll pick all of you after work, we’re going to Dosan Park. Don’t forget to bring your presents, if you have one. - Byun Baekhyun]

 

Kyungsoo was pretty sure he had already submitted his presents to all of them. Only he could cross his fingers that they wear them during Christmas.

 

Six days before Christmas.

 

“Hyung, your eyes are kinda swollen.” Jongin frowned at Kyungsoo.

 

Kyungsoo blinked to fix his tired eyes before reaching out his small mirror. He looked closely at his own reflection, sighing at the sight of the red puffy eyes and dark bags formed under them. He placed down the small mirror before picking up the paperwork. He wanted to distract himself from thinking too much.

 

“It’s nothing. Just couldn’t sleep last night.” Kyungsoo replied.

 

“Had a bad dream again?” Kyungsoo hesitated on the word ‘bad dream’, before he slowly nodded. Jongin took a moment before he continued. “Do you want to use that method again tonight? Well, you know... The one I did behind you before went fast asleep?”

 

Kyungsoo placed the paper down, his eyes didn’t move a bit. That method Jongin talked about was the hug before sleep. Kyungsoo looked up at Jongin as he drew a faint smile.

 

“Maybe I do need one.”

 

Five days before Christmas.

 

Kyungsoo was able to sleep with Jongin’s help, even though he still got the same dream. He didn’t know why it happened to him and what the purpose of the dream kept occurring everyday. Was there something else he needed to do in the dream? Or was it something he had to do real life? There were too much questions in his head and he couldn’t find a single answer.

 

He started to jot down few notes of what he’s going to do on tonight’s dream and he kept reading it, so he remembered what do to when it happens again. He reminded the word ‘do not eat the bullet, throw the bullet away’, ‘destroy the television’, ‘try closing your ears if a whisper is heard’.

 

Four days before Christmas.

 

“Hello, this is Yixing speaking.”

 

“Doctor Zhang. It’s me, Do Kyungsoo. Your patient from Police Department?”

 

“Ah, yes. Mister D.O. I remember you. I was expecting your call to discuss about your dreams progressions?”

 

“Yes. The dream I had... Sadly to say it didn’t change a bit. I tried to throw away the bullet, it came right back to me. I also tried to reach the television, but my legs were stuck and I kept hearing things. I think... it is a fixed dream.” Kyungsoo wondered why there’s a long pause after he said it.

 

“Mister D.O., are you still wearing that amulet?”

 

“Yes, I am.” Kyungsoo's eyes fell upon his white bracelet.

 

“Perhaps this is what my sister predicted. You have no choice but to wait the response from the others.”

 

“Responds from the others?” Kyungsoo repeated with a frown.

 

“The other amulets that you gave to your friends. They need to respond back to you. If they do, there should be a sign of changes in your dream. Have they worn them yet?”

 

“...No.” Kyungsoo hesitated. “They will wear them on Christmas.”

 

Three days before Christmas.

 

“There’s new cafe not far from our work place! You guys wanna stop by later?” Baekhyun suggested as he turned to his friends.

 

“You mean ‘Starbucks’? Wasn’t it closed for a couple months due to a renovation?” Chanyeol said but he was taken back when he received a glare from Baekhyun in return.

 

“It was still considered as new! So, what do you say?” Baekhyun smiled at Kyungsoo and Jongin.

 

“I’m up for it.”

 

“Me too.” Both Jongin and Kyungsoo agreed.

 

And they all tried the new flavours in that cafe. They were satisfied with the upgrades too. The cafe was extended with more tables and seats, artistic drawings were added to the walls and more desserts and drinks were on the menu. Kyungsoo took a small sip on his hot cappuccino as he looked at Chanyeol. Then he recalled he has a favor from few years back. The others might not agree with him, but they’re rarely say no to him.

 

“I have a request for tomorrow after work. If that’s okay with you guys.” Kyungsoo spoke and everyone looked at him.

 

“What is it?”

 

Two days before Christmas.

 

“Woohoo! It’s been awhile since I played this game, since before college!” Chanyeol dug a huge pile of snow and started to make some snowballs.

 

“Kyungsoo, why in the world you suggest us to play this game?” Baekhyun and Jongin made a deadpan face at Kyungsoo.

 

Kyungsoo shrugged. “I thought it would be fun?”

 

“Oh, yes it will be! Let’s make a team of two. I’m with Baby Soo while you're with Jongin.” Chanyeol pointed at Baekhyun. Baekhyun and Jongin looked at each other.

 

“Who gave you the right to form a team?” Jongin asked.

 

“Because I’m glad that Baby Soo brought up this idea and he looks so hyped for the game, and I really want to team up with him!” As expected, Chanyeol is unstoppable.

 

“I didn’t say I was hyp--“

 

“Don’t worry, Soo. I got your back. We’re going all out, okay? Charge!!” Kyungsoo got cut by Chanyeol, who apparently started the snowball fight without a warning.

 

“Chanyeol! We aren’t ready!” Both Baekhyun and Jongin already scrambled their feet to take cover.

 

Although it was pretty messed up at first, but in the end it turned out very well. All of them were playful for entire the two hour game, just like back then, during winter on their college years. Kyungsoo at the corner, watched his friends smiling and laughing as they tossed snowballs and pushed their opponents to fall into the snow ground. One reason why Kyungsoo brought this idea up, it’s because this could be his last winter game. He’s going to cherish these sweet memories with them.

 

One day before Christmas.

 

Kyungsoo was up early around five in the morning, watching the snow that has stopped. He sat at the living room for a good five minutes, didn’t know what else to do. He could go back to bed but he didn’t feel like sleeping at all. He decided then to go for a walk, to clear his messy thoughts. He put on his winter jacket and twisted open the front door.

 

“Kyungsoo-hyung?” Kyungsoo stopped at the voice. He didn’t expect the latter to wake up this early.

 

“Jongin? It’s still early. Did I wake you up?” Kyungsoo played the innocent card.

 

Jongin shook his head. “I was about to say the same to you. Where are you going anyway?”

 

“I don’t feel like sleeping so... Taking some fresh air could kill some time. I’ll be back before six.” Kyungsoo was about to step out from the entrance but Jongin stopped him.

 

“Wait. I’m coming too.” Jongin took his winter coat and put up his shoes before joining him. Kyungsoo blinked and didn’t spoke a word.

 

The sky was still dark as they walked along the side road, accompanied by the street lights. They hold each other hands as usual. However, Jongin noticed that Kyungsoo was strangely clingy that morning. The grip on his hand was tighter than he desired, he leaned even closer to his side, he’s quieter than his cheerful self from yesterday. Jongin inspected the elder’s face and he didn’t see his face brighten at all. Kyungsoo's lips were pursed and his eyes were locked on the snowy ground. Something was wrong with Kyungsoo. Jongin halted and broke the hold from his hand. He turned to place his both hands on Kyungsoo’s shoulders, so he could look up to him.

 

“Okay. What’s wrong?” Jongin asked and Kyungsoo blankly looked at him.

 

“I’m sorry, what? There’s nothing wrong.” He denied.

 

“You’re afraid of something, aren’t you?” As soon Jongin said that Kyungsoo’s face fell. He reached for Jongin’s hands on his shoulders and held them tightly.

 

“Yeah, I’m scared. I can’t shake the feeling something bad is coming and I can’t do anything about it.”

 

Jongin expression softened and he gently pat the older’s head. “Tomorrow’s Christmas, hyung. It’s going to be a fine day. If you’re worry about work, I can cover your back.”

 

“No, that’s not it.” Kyungsoo shook his head and took a short breathe. “I think... I think I’m going to die tomorrow.”

 

Jongin's eyes were wide and he grabbed Kyungsoo's arms tightly. “Hyung! What’s wrong with you?! Don’t you ever say that! You’re not going to die!”

 

The grip was too tight, making Kyungsoo wince as he struggled to get out from the grip. “Jongin... Please let me go.”

 

“No! You take back what you said!

 

“Jongin, you’re hurting me!” Kyungsoo made a final push and Jongin quickly released the grip, dumbfounded. Kyungsoo flinched as he rubbed the pain on his arms, avoiding the eye contact of the younger. Jongin tried to find his words back. He felt guilty all of the sudden.

 

“I didn’t mean to, hyung. I’m-- I’m sorry.” Jongin was about to reach him, Kyungsoo took a step back.

 

“I need to be alone for awhile.”

 

“Kyungsoo-hyung, please...” Jongin pleaded. Kyungsoo looked at him sadly before he walked away. Although he was expecting Jongin to stop him, that never happened. Why he always rejecting him? Why he always made the younger sad? Why he avoided himself from facing him? Whatever decision he made, he always ended up hurting Jongin. He didn’t me

Please log in to read the full chapter