Chapter 14: Dirty Trick [Part 1]

Phantom Crimes [DISCONTINUED]
Please log in to read the full chapter

Jongdae was silently climbing the metal stairs, trying to not make any sound. He’s still alert on what he will find on the roof top. The killer was probably waiting for them there. Kyungsoo in other hand, was sticking close as what he was told. He was kind of wondering why Jongdae didn’t tell him to stay back but Jongdae probably trusted him that he could cover himself just fine. They went up slowly to the rooftop, Jongdae slipped his hand to his side to take his gun out and hold it close. Kyungsoo saw Jongdae’s movement, and he began to slow down his pace too. If Jongdae was right about the killer was hiding on the roof, then he had to be careful not to cause a commotion, considering there are a lot of people around the crime scene.

 

As they’re about to reach to the top Kyungsoo saw something bright at the corner of the roof edge. He was distracted by the light as it faded revealing that it was his angel. Jongin looked down at Kyungsoo and gave a small wave.

 

[“It’s clear up here, D.O. Tell Chen to put the gun away.”]

 

Kyungsoo shoulders slightly lightened and he nodded in response. He reached to tap Jongdae’s back before he climbed past him. Jongdae was shocked at Kyungsoo when he suddenly cut ahead, he was about to pull Kyungsoo back because it’s totally dangerous to let him go like that, but when he saw Kyungsoo casually climbing to the roof top, his concerned face dimmed. Jongdae silently followed Kyungsoo on the back and when they reached the rooftop, there was no one around.

 

“You should have told me at least. I got all worried for nothing.” Jongdae said as he put his gun back.

 

“Blame Kai, he was supposed to be scouting here and we received the report late.”

 

[“Hey! I was doing my job!”] Jongin protested. However, Jongdae face showed otherwise. He was confused as he thought who Kyungsoo was talking about, but then... Jongdae widened his eyes in realization about Kai.

 

“Jongin’s here?!”

 

Kyungsoo nodded to him. “All the time.”

 

Jongdae drew a wide smile as he scanned around. Sadly he knew he couldn’t see the angel but knowing his brother was around satisfied him enough. Meanwhile Jongin crossed his arms and pouted in a cute way. Kyungsoo switched glances between Jongin and Jongdae before shrugging lightly. He better resume his to his work.

 

“Chen, look.” Kyungsoo pointed to the blood trails from the stairs to the door which leaded into the building. Jongdae’s expression switched back to seriousness in one blink, as he inspected the blood trails closer.

 

“We were right. He’s here.” He stood up and grabbed his gun again. As he reached the doorknob, it was unlocked. He turned to see Kyungsoo before he spoke. “He probably knew that we’re coming so I suggest you stay here.”

 

“What if I say I would like to tag along?” Kyungsoo cut him.

 

Jongdae wanted to protest but when he looked into Kyungsoo’s round eyes, they told him that Kyungsoo was begging to him so badly. The eyes which were full of concern, who ever wanted to reject this cute guy? Jongdae didn’t know that Kyungsoo was doing this because he didn’t want to be left behind especially when he cared about his partner. Jongdae had to give up as he nodded.

 

“Fine. But you have to stick really close to me, okay?” Kyungsoo nodded abruptly before approached next him.

 

Jongdae pushed the door opened, and they walked in. They slowly climbed down the wooden stairs as they made a creaking noise, hopefully the killer didn’t hear it. They encountered a quiet room full of furniture. Jongdae thought the owner had left the house to work, so this criminal had committed another crime; breaking into someone’s apartment. He was glad that the room was lit due to daylight so it wasn’t dark as he thought.

 

As they reached the end of the stairs Jongdae moved to his left to enter the kitchen, which is where possibly the criminal would get rid of his knife and to get a new one. Kyungsoo was still staying closer to Jongdae, expecting the criminal to be there in the kitchen. Jongin, who was behind Kyungsoo all the time, was making sure those two were secured under his watch. But one thing Jongin had forgotten about himself when he’s into his job, he can’t touch living souls.

 

Without a sound, Jongin was stunned when something just walk passed into his transparent body, it was his first time. His view went black and blurred for a second, and then he could see an unknown figure walking away from him. He realized he was too late to warn them.

 

[“Hyung!! Behind you!!”]

 

Only Kyungsoo was alarmed by the angel’s warning, as he quickly turned to his back. He managed to make a small yelp when a hand covered his mouth shut and was pulled into the unknown person’s arm. Jongdae heard the yelp as he twisted around and pointed the gun at the person. However, he hesitated and felt the anger rising at the same time, when the person held the kitchen knife and placed it under Kyungsoo’s neck.

 

“Drop the weapon!” Jongdae still pointing the gun at the criminal but that just made it worse when Kyungsoo cringed as he felt the blade on his throat. Jongin saw it and he wanted to punch that man so bad.

 

“No! You! Y-- you drop your weapon!” The criminal hiccupped as he swayed a bit to stand properly. Kyungsoo could smell the strong alcohol from him too. The criminal is drunk and his mind is half conscious. Words may help him reconsider but a threat may risk Kyungsoo’s life. They have to take it slow and easy.

 

“Sir, you’re surrounded. We don’t want any bloodshed happening here, so it’s the best for you to surrender.” Jongdae said with a calmer tone this time. But still the criminal didn’t buy it.

 

“I--I don’t care! I hate the police! I hate y--you! All of you!” The criminal hiccupped even more, tightening his grip on Kyungsoo’s neck.

 

Kyungsoo hold his breath, his eyes filled with fear. Jongdae saw it and immediately stepped back. “Alright! I put the gun down and you let him go, okay?”

 

“...No.. No! No! You will listen to me!! You will put your gun down!!” The criminal protested and Jongdae sighed.

 

“Chen.” Jongdae eyes turned to his trembling partner, who suddenly called him in between the chaos. “Just listen to him. His unconscious mind couldn’t accept everything you suggest to him. Please.”

 

After a long minute, Jongdae decided to trust Kyungsoo’s decision. Hope he knows what he was doing. Jongdae slowly placed his gun on the floor before stooding up again. He saw the criminal giving a dumb smile.

 

“Good! Good! N--Now go back where you came from!” The criminal instructed Jongdae to climb back at the rooftop door, and he did.

 

The criminal pulled Kyungsoo to follow where Jongdae was going, while Kyungsoo made an eye contact with Jongin. Jongin was deadly worried about him.

 

“I--I hope you can hold the knife properly.” Kyungsoo said as his eyes locked on Jongin, even though he looked so scared right now. However, the criminal heard it and he thought Kyungsoo was talking to him.

 

The criminal halted for a moment to answer that. “O--Of course I do!”

 

Jongin ignored on the criminal’s reply, he spoke to Kyungsoo. [“I can hold it. But you have to make him move the knife away. I don’t want to hurt you.”]

 

As soon Kyungsoo heard that, he gave him a brief nod before getting pulled upstairs. Jongdae carefully make a space between him and the criminal once they’re on the rooftop. Kyungsoo was still under the criminal’s clutches and he had to do something. He had so much space up here, so it’s perfect to execute a plan.

 

“What now? What do you want me to do?” Jongdae asked him. The criminal seemed thought for a moment before he spoke.

 

“T--Tell the police to back off. Now!” Jongdae knew he can’t do that. That would create more attention as well affecting the police performance. Jongdae wanted to suggest something else, however he saw Kyungsoo closed his eyes and mumbling ‘I have to risk this’.

 

[“Hyung. No.”] Jongin heard what Kyungsoo was mumbling. He didn’t like that idea at all.

 

Kyungsoo reopened his eyes, he gulped as he looked at Jongdae nervously before signaling him to come closer with his pointy finger. Jongdae saw that signal but he shook his head because that was indeed dangerous move for both of them. Kyungsoo nodded desperately and he kept signaling him. Jongdae biting his lowers lips as he looked at Kyungsoo. He didn’t know why his partner was risking himself for doing this. He knew Kyungsoo had an idea but this is a bold move. Finally he took the risk, he had to trust him as Jongin told to him back then at the graveyard. He slowly took a step forward.

 

“...What are you doing?” The criminal alerted.

 

Jongdae slowly took another step forward again.

 

“I s--said, don’t come closer!” The criminal accidentally pull the knife as the blade touching Kyungsoo’s throat, causing a small cut. Kyungsoo winced and the Kim brothers gasped and halted from stepping closer. Jongdae knew this is going to happen. However, Kyungsoo fought himself as he looked back at Jongdae and signaling him again.

 

[“Please, hyung. Don’t do this.”] Jongin’s voice was trembling. He hated to see his love one to get hurt, and he did nothing.

 

Jongdae gulped and obeyed, he took another step forward. When he stepped forward for one last time, the criminal snapped. He pointed the knife in front of Jongdae, and this is where the magic happens.

 

“How many times I have to tel--“

 

“Kai!!” Kyungsoo shouted to cut the criminal’s word. In flash, Jongin was right in front of him, grabbing the blade like a magnet. Since Jongin is an angel he didn’t suffer any injuries when he touches anything sharp. The criminal jumped with the sudden yell and he tried to pull the knife b

Please log in to read the full chapter