Chapter 12: Confidential [+ Advertisement Notice]

Phantom Crimes [DISCONTINUED]
Please log in to read the full chapter

There were more paper works to be done ever since Kyungsoo's absence in the office. He was having difficulties with only one arm to do the job, so he had to ignore writing for awhile. He kept focusing on arranging paper works, only to glance at his new partner from time to time. Chen was sitting on the sofa, reading the files from previous cases. Jongin’s working desk was now occupied with his stuff. It’s awkward for Kyungsoo to start a conversation with him because they have been quiet for twenty minutes since they entered the office.

 

Kyungsoo looked up at his partner one last time and startled when Chen happened to look at him back. Kyungsoo kept opening and closing his mouth, trying to have a talk with him.

 

“...Um.”

 

“I heard you’re special. Is it true you can see entities?” Chen spoke first before he could.

 

“...Yeah.”

 

“Can you call them?”

 

Kyungsoo looked around the room, noticing Jongin wasn’t even there. That’s right. He kept questioning why Jongin behaved like that when Chen was around. But only he could guess that Jongin knew Chen and feared him. Kyungsoo made a mental note to ask about it later. When he didn’t find any ghosts to communicate, he shook his head.

 

“They aren’t around right now. Sorry, I can’t call them over.”

 

“Oh, that’s fine. I was just curious.” Then Chen closed the case files and placed them on the table.

 

“Chief Suho told me that we should get to know each other. But I don’t want to disturb you with your work.”

 

“Actually, he’s right. I can’t do much with one hand anyway.” Kyungsoo stood up and settled on the sofa across Chen.

 

“Okay, let’s start with introduction. I’m D.O., the psychologist. I study people and entities behaviors. Born from Seoul, age twenty two, been working in this department for two years. That’s about it.”

 

Chen smiled as he shifted a bit before he began. “Chen, the ace detective. I’ve been working at Jingcha Department for four years. I born from Busan, and moved to Seou--“

 

“From Busan? You’re Korean? I thought you’re Chinese?!” Kyungsoo widens his eyes. Chen chuckled in response.

 

“Yeah, there are a many people who actually say that to me. But I’m purely Korean. So, as I said before, I moved to Seoul when I was five. Now I’m twenty three.”

 

“Ah, so you’re my hyung. That’s a good start. Now let ask each other questions.” Kyungsoo said.

 

“Tell me about your ability. I heard at Jingcha Department they don’t have people like you.” Chen said excitedly.

 

“Well, you should know anyway. I was born for it. I discovered it when I was three...” Kyungsoo told him everything about his background, his ability and his life in school. Chen was listening to him quietly and never interrupted. Kyungsoo kind of felt bad for him to listen everything he said but surprisingly, Chen didn’t mind at all. Maybe Chen wasn’t as bad as he thought.

 

“Tell me about yourself, Chen. How did you get into Jingcha but not here?” It’s Kyungsoo’s turn to ask.

 

“It started when---“

 

*Beep!* *Beep!*

 

Chen looked down and picked up his cell phone. As he read the message he sighed a little.

 

“I’m sorry D.O. , Chief Suho needs me.”

 

“It’s okay. We can talk later.” Kyungsoo smiled at him as Chen excused himself.

 

Kyungsoo’s first impression towards Chen was interesting. He thought his sneaky smile would make him uncomfortable or that he would stab him on the back, judging him as a useless police officer. But Chen isn’t a person like that. He’s friendly, considerate and kind too. Kyungsoo was starting to accept his new partner. He got up and returned back to his paper work.

 

Just before arranging his third file, someone who wasn’t Chen entered his office without knocking. Kyungsoo was about to remind the person’s manners but after seeing them, he refrained.

 

“Hey~ Baby Soo~” Chanyeol greeted.

 

“We’re here~” Baekhyun followed.

 

Kyungsoo looked at them in disbelief. “What are you two doing here? I thought you guys will come to pick me up on lunch break?”

 

“Sehun said we have a new kid who happened to be your new partner.”

 

“Yeah, and we came to check on this new guy.” Baekhyun and Chanyeol were expecting for the Chen, but he wasn’t in the office yet.

 

“If you really want to meet him then you have to wait. Suho-hyung called him just a moment ago, it won’t take too long.” Kyungsoo gestured them to sit on the sofa and so they did.

 

“Say Kyungsoo. How is he?” Baekhyun asked.

 

“He’s okay and friendly. Believe me or not, he’s as tall as you.”

 

“Well, well. Looks like I’m going to make him my next buddy.” Baekhyun smirked.

 

“Hey, what about me?!” Chanyeol surprised.

 

“You’re still my right hand man. Don’t worry about it.”

 

Kyungsoo sighed, watching them making themselves comfortable in his office. Usually Jongin would appear at this moment but still, he wasn’t there.

 

“You’re amazing doing paper works with one hand. How can you manage that?” Chanyeol had been watching him doing his work.

 

“As long I don’t have to write anything, it’ll work out fine. All I did today was arranging files.” Kyungsoo kept looking between the files and Chanyeol.

 

“Wow, I wish I could be like you, sitting in the office all day doing paper work.”

 

“It isn’t a fun work. I would rather work outside, have some fresh air.” Kyungsoo sounded disappointed.

 

“Just be patient for a month, Kyungsoo. We’ll take you to the highest mountain in the worl--“

 

“Baekhyun...?”

 

Someone interrupted Baekhyun’s words and everyone looked up at the door. Chen was startled as he looked at Baekhyun, then to Chanyeol.

 

“...Chanyeol? You guys are here?” Chen was still in state of shock.

 

Baekhyun and Chanyeol stood up and their eyes didn’t blink. Chanyeol was first to speak. He sounded so happy.

 

“Jongdae. Is it really you?!”

 

Kyungsoo exchanged his glances between his friends and his new partner. So Chen’s real name is Jongdae? That explained Chen is indeed Korean. Kyungsoo didn’t interrupt them. Jongdae was probably their long lost friend but why Baekhyun looked extremely disappointed?

 

“I can’t believe I meet you guys here.” Chen gave a relieved tone as he slowly approached them but Baekhyun looked away, trying to avoid him.

 

“We gotta go, Chanyeol. We got a lot of work to do.” Baekhyun tugged the confused Chanyeol on the sleeve.

 

Kyungsoo frowned. What’s wrong with Baekhyun anyway? Chen noticed this and he tried to reach him.

 

“Baekhyun, please.” He managed to grab Baekhyun’s arm. But the next thing, to Kyungsoo surprise, Baekhyun shoved him back hard. Chen looked shocked.

 

“What are you doing here, you traitor? I thought you’re really happy to stay out there in China and you still come back here?! Don’t you remember you left us and pursued your dream by your own? You promised us, and you broke it. You don't belong here.” That was the first time Kyungsoo heard Baekhyun say such a harsh words.

 

“Please... Please, Baek? Listen to me.” Chen begged.

 

“Don’t make me listen to your stupid excuses, Dae!! It’s too late.” Baekhyun looked pained and Chen didn’t say anything.

 

“And do you know what the worst is? You left us your precious one but he's long gone. He’s dead, Dae!” Baekhyun spat at him, and Chen took it like a bullet.

 

“I... I know I was wrong all along. I’ll take the responsibility but that’s not what I wanted to say right now.” Chen looked broke, Baekhyun smirked sarcastically.

 

“Keep that to yourself. I really don’t want to see your filthy face in front of me anymore. Go back to China and never come back. I’m done with you.” And just with that, Baekhyun bumped hard on Chen’s shoulder as he stormed out of the office.

 

Chanyeol looked at Chen pitifully and slowly excuse himself to catch up with Baekhyun. Kyungsoo was silently watching the whole argument. For the first time he saw Chen look completely broke. Chen was just staring at the floor, his heart was shattered and his face filled with guilty.

 

“...Chen? ...Are you okay?” Kyungsoo asked him softly. Chen snapped from his thoughts a little but his eyes were still unfocused.

 

“I’m sorry... Please excuse me.” And just like that he walked out from the office.

 

Kyungsoo kept looking at his poor partner until he left the room. Until now, Kyungsoo has been observing the argument. The ‘dream’ and ‘precious one’.

 

‘He had to follow his father so he moved to China for business. He told us to take care of his little brother when he was away, and that was the last time we saw him.’

 

That was what Chanyeol told him back then at the amusement park. He maybe knew who they were talking about. He might be wrong but... no. It could be right a guess.

 

“Jongin. I know you’re around. Let me see you.” Kyungsoo spoke to himself as he scanned around until the faint ray appeared in front of him.

 

The angel was looking at the floor when Kyungsoo looked at him. His face told him like he’s been caught.

 

“Jongin. Look at me.” The angel looked up at him sadly, and Kyungsoo continued.

 

“That guy, Chen. He’s your brother. Am I right?”

 

Jongin closed his eyes, realizing the older knew the truth, he gulped before he nodded. Kyungsoo let out a huge sigh. He was right.

 

“Why did you always kept everything from me?”

 

[“Ex

Please log in to read the full chapter