Chapter 6

Forbidden

The next day, Kai woke up from the vibration sound from his cell phone. He lazily touched around his bed, trying to find it. When he finally had it in his hands, he touched the 'answer' button without even checking who was calling.

"Yeoboseyo?" he said, his voice deeper than usual and husk from his fatigue.

"Ne, it's me Taemin!"

Kai's sleep suddenly vanished when he heard Taemin's voice. He cleared his throat, trying to sound like himself.

"Oh, ne, good morning!" he said.

"Yah, were you sleeping? it's noon already!"

"Yeah, I was really tired last night."

"It's ok, we still have lots of time," Taemin announced.

"Time? Time for what?"

"The amusement park is opening today! The tickets are half price and there are a bunch of new rides! You have to come!"

"Waahhhh, really?! I love amusement parks!"

"Meet me at my place as soon as possible, the park is close to my house!"

"Alright, I'll be there in half an hour!" Kai answered, before hanging up and quickly getting dressed. After putting on some plain yet stylish clothes, he headed downstairs to put his converse on.

"Kai, where are you going? Isn't it a day off from your school?" his mother asked.

"Yeah, I'm going out to the amusement park with Taemin."

When she heard his name, she went closer to Kai and put a hand on his shoulder. "Kai, have you found out if he's one of us yet?"

"No mom, but I'm working on it," he lied. He gave her a hug before heading out. 

Being as punctual as ever, he arrived at Taemin's house within half an hour and knocked on the door.

"Annyeong!" Taemin greeted with a big smile. "Waahh, it's so different to see you wearing something other than our school uniform! You look good," Taemin eyed him from head to toe, analyzing his body and clothes, earning a blush from Kai.

"Thanks," he said, as Taemin held his wrist and began pulling him inside the house. He led him to the living room where his parents were watching television.

"Eomma, appa, this is Kai," he said, introducing him to them.

"Oh, Kai! It's nice to meet you!" his mother got up from the couch and headed towards Kai to embrace him in a hug.

"Taemin's been talking a lot about you!" his father revealed, to which Taemin shot a nervous and embarrassed look.

"Don't worry, you seem like a great guy!" his father said to Kai.

"Wow, look at his legs! So slim and nice!" noticed his mother.

"Yeah! You've got a great physique!" added his father.

"Why don't you two eat before going?" his mother suggested.

"Ani, mom, we'll eat from there," Taemin said, now starting to lead Kai out of the house. 

"Sorry, my parents can be a little hyper sometimes," Taemin said, as they walked towards the bus stop.

Kai laughed. "Ani, ani. They're very nice!"

The bus came a few minutes later and carried them to their destination.

"I'm starving!" said Taemin as they entered the park.

"There's a hotdog stand over there, let's go!" Kai pointed.

While eating their food, Kai's attention was on one of the rides. It was the biggest ride there, and looked like the scariest one because it had a drop that seemed almost 90°. Taemin, who was staring at Kai, tried to find what his attention was on. When he saw the ride, his jaw dropped.

"Let's go on that one!" Kai suggested.

Taemin looked at him nervously.

"Hmm, uh, I think it'll be better if we go on that one later...We just ate, and the drop is going to make all the food come out."

 "Oh, you're right! Which one should we go on then?"

Taemin pointed at a small roller coaster. "That one seems ok."

"Yeah, let's go!"

They got in line and waited for their turn. A group of people ran passed them and bumped into Taemin, causing him to collide into Kai and almost fall, their lips nearly brushing. Kai held Taemin in his arms to stop him from falling. He began to feel flustered at how close he was to him and his heart skipped a beat.

"Mianhae," Taemin said.

"It's ok," Kai said, before letting Taemin go.

After a while, it was finally their turn to go on the ride. When it was done, they picked a few more rides to go on before it was almost time for the park to close. 

"Alright, now, the final ride, the cherry on top, the moment of truth," Kai began, pointing at the dangerous looking ride that he had seen a few hours earlier. "Let's go," he said, while taking Taemin's hand and leading him in the line.

Taemin was oddly silent. 

"Taemin, are you ok? You're so silent all of a sudden."

"Hmm?" he said, looking up.

Kai held his chin up so he could get a better look at him. "You look pale too. Are you feeling alright?"

"Well, um...Truthfully, I'm scared," Taemin answered, looking down.

He looks like a child, it's so adorable!

"Oh, I didn't know, I'm sorry! If you want, we can leave."

"Ani," Taemin said, holding Kai's arm, "I'll do it."

"Are you sure?"

"Y-Yeah."

"Ok, you can hold my hand if you want, ok?"

"Yeah, ok," he said. Kai ruffled his hair affectionately.

"Next!" announced an employee. It was Kai and Taemin's turn. Taemin looked at Kai nervously while they sat down on the coaster. Kai held Taemin's hand tightly.

"It's ok Taemin, you can squeeze my hand as hard as you want, ok? You can do it! You'll enjoy it, you'll see! Hwaiting!" 

An employee came and checked if everything was secure around them. Taemin closed his eyes and breathed deeply. Kai softly cupped Taemin's face in his hands and made him look at him.

"I'm here with you," Kai reminded him. Hearing those words gave Taemin courage and he felt more relaxed now.  

The coaster started moving. Taemin quickly locked his fingers around Kai's hand. They moved closer and closer to the top. Once they arrived, the cart slowed down and started tilting downwards, ready for the fall. Kai looked at Taemin and smiled. When the cart finally began to fall, he tightened his grip around Taemin's hands and began screaming. Taemin did the same but with his eyes closed.

"Open your eyes!" Kai told him. Taemin obeyed. After the fall, the ride had gotten better. He was beginning to enjoy himself. He threw his arms in the air, and Kai copied. They both screamed excitedly.

A few seconds later, the ride was over and all the passengers began getting off. Taemin looked at Kai with wide eyes.

"That was AWESOME!" 

"Yeah, I knew you'd enjoy it!" 

They both headed towards the exit of the park, when Taemin spotted the bathroom.

"I have to go," he said.

"Ok, you go, I'll be right back by the time you're done," Kai informed, as he headed towards the ice cream parlor. 

"One vanilla and one chocolate please," he asked the lady at the counter. She handed him the ice cream cones and Kai waiting for Taemin to come out of the bathroom. 

"Waahh, you got ice cream!"

"Pick your favorite," Kai said with a smile, offering him both cones. Taemin picked the vanilla flavored one.

Out of the blue, Taemin began giggling. 

"What is it," asked Kai curiously.

'Your hair's a mess," he said. He ran his hand through Kai's hair to fix it. While Taemin was busy fixing Kai's hair, Kai stared at him and began to giggle too.

"What?" Taemin asked.

"You've got ice cream on your nose." He reached Taemin's face and wiped the ice cream off with his thumb. They both looked at each other for a few seconds until they were brought back to reality by the voice of an employee announcing the closing of the amusement park.

"I had a lot of fun today," Taemin said, as they stood at a stop, waiting for the bus to arrive.

"Me too," Kai said, as he yawned and stretched his body.

When they got inside the bus and sat down, Kai's stomach began to growl from hunger. 

"Oh, seems like you're hung–" Taemin began, but his phone rang just then. "Yeoboseyo? Ne. Yeah, we're coming back right now. Oh really? Alright, I'll let him know! Bye!" He turned to Kai after hanging up. "Perfect timing! My parents said they're making barbecue right now and they're inviting you over," he announced.

Kai checked his watch. 9:14pm. I guess I still have time. "Sure, sounds fun!"

When they arrived at Taemin's house, they went straight to the backyard where his parents were grilling the meat. 

"Ahh, welcome back!" greeted Taemin's father.

"Did you two have fun?" asked his mother, handing them their plates of food.

"Ne~" they both replied together. Kai began eating immediately, trying to make his growling stomach shut up.

Taemin stared at his friend stuffing his mouth with food and chuckled. "Yah, you should've told me you were this hungry!" he commented, pinching Kai's cheek cutely. 

After they were done grilling, his parents headed inside the house, leaving Taemin and Kai alone in the backyard. Kai was stuffed with food and began to feel sleepy. He lied down on the grass and looked at the sky. After finishing his food, Taemin joined him and lied down by his side.

They both lied there in silence, under the stars. After a few minutes, Kai stretched his hand out to the sky.

"Do you ever wonder what's out there?" he asked.

Taemin stared at Kai for a second and gazed back at the sky. "I know exactly what's out there." Kai looked at him, interested to know his response. "You see those sparkly dots up there?" he said, referring to the stars, "Those are fireflies. Fireflies that got stuck up in the big blueish-black thing."

Kai looked at him curiously. Where have I heard those words before...Taemin looked back at him with a mischievous expression on his face. Then, Kai remembered. "Yah, why are you quoting lines from 'The Lion King'? he said, as they began laughing. "Actually, you're wrong Taemin. Somebody once told me that the great kings from the past are up there, watching over us," Kai played along, beginning to quote the film as well.

"You mean, a bunch of royal dead guys are watching us?" Taemin ended, just like Timon had said in that scene. 

They both looked at each other and burst into laughter.

"I can't believe we still remember the lines after all these years!" Kai said.

"I've seen that film countless times, of course I'd remember," Taemin answered between laughs.

After calming down, they were surrounded by the singing of crickets the filled the night. Kai had his hand on the grass and Taemin put his own hand over it. Their fingers began to intertwine. Taemin rubbed his thumb on Kai's palm. 

"I really like being with you," Taemin said in a whisper suddenly. Kai's heart began to beat faster. 

"Me too," he answered. They both faced each other, their gaze locking for a couple of seconds. Kai opened his hand more, and Taemin ran his fingers along Kai's. Soon, Kai closed the gap between their palms and held Taemin's hand tightly.

Taemin's eyes suddenly fell on Kai's lips. Kai's heart skipped a beat.

Just then. the backyard door opened. "Boys, you should get inside now, the bugs will eat you alive!" announced his mother. Kai sat up and got on his feet, followed by Taemin. He checked the time. 10:49pm. He'd been suppressing his hunger for blood for hours now. I need to go before this gets worse. He went inside the house and bid farewell to Taemin and his parents.

"I'll see you tomorrow at school," Kai said to him. Taemin patted Kai's shoulder and smiled at him before Kai left.

As soon as he got home, he took his glass of blood and headed inside his room, where his thoughts were suffocating him. 

You're getting in too deep, Kai. He remembered the way Taemin's softly ran his fingers along his hand and the way it sent shocks through his body. Why does he make me feel this way? He pushed those thoughts away and fell asleep.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N: A fun day at the amusement park with TaeKai! I didn't intend this chapter to be so long, but oh well. As mentioned in the A/N in the previous chapter, the story might be slow in these chapters because I want to show more TaeKai moments and how TaeKai will happen. I have cool plans for them later on (^-^) Thanks for reading, have a great day!