Chapter 13

Forbidden

The walk to Taemin's house was a long and silent one. Taemin was in the lead, while Kai followed him, not daring to go by his side or talk to him. His head hung low as he thought about how he'll explain everything to Taemin. Where do I start...what do I say...Is he even going to believe me..? Soon, they arrived at the house, and while Kai was slowly taking his shoes off at the entrance, Taemin went to the kitchen and came back with a bag of chips in his hands. Then, without another word, they both went up to Taemin's bedroom. Taemin took a seat on his desk chair while Kai sat on the bed, hands under his thighs from the anxiety. They both stayed silent a moment, until the sound of Taemin crunching on a chip filled the room and Kai cleared his throat.

"Go ahead, start whenever you want to," Taemin said.

"Right, well um," Kai began, but he hesitated, not knowing exactly what to say. "It's um...I-I don't really know how to start."

Taemin handed him the bag of chips. "Well, how about I tell you what I saw first. Yesterday, I saw you...eating a cat. Your mouth was covered with its blood. Your eyes were blue, and you had, like...fangs in your mouth. I spent all of last night doing research on what kind of condition you have, but I didn't find anything. Not a single thing that even slightly resembled your condition."

Kai rubbed his thighs nervously. Ok, there's no point in beating around the bush, just say it. "I, um...I-I'm a vampire."

Silence.

Silence filled the room, but Taemin's facial expression was screaming. Millions of questions were going through his mind at that moment, but the boy stayed quiet because he didn't know where to start. Finally, he got up and began pacing back and forth in front of Kai.

"Wait, wait wait. You mean to tell me that you're...a vampire..?" he asked in disbelief. 

Kai couldn't meet his eyes. He only nodded at the question.

Taemin chuckled almost mockingly before getting back in his chair. He held his head in his hands and looked at the floor. Another long silence followed before he spoke again. "But...how, I mean, I thought...Aren't vampires mythical creatures?"

"No. We're real. The proof is right in front of you. It's true that there are a lot of stories about us that say different things like 'a vampire's bite will turn a normal human into a vampire' or 'garlic keeps vampires away from you', but they're all fake. It's not who we are. Our bites aren't contagious, and garlic isn't harmful to us at all," he explained, chuckling nervously at the last sentence.

"But, I...I still don't–"

"I know it's unbelievable, and that's why I didn't want to tell you at first. There are a lot of things going on right now and I'm still really confused about it all..." Kai said. "Ok, as promised, I'll explain everything to you. But you have to vow one thing to me: you can't tell anyone, ANYONE, about this."

Taemin was hesitant at first, but finally, he nodded. "I promise. I vow to never repeat this to anyone." Kai looked into Taemin's eyes for a moment and saw that they were filled with honesty. In his heart, he knew that he wasn't making a mistake to tell him everything. 

Kai took a deep breath and let it out slowly before he began. He explained everything his parents had taught him about his kind. He told him about their past, their relationship with humans, the coming-of-age situation; how a vampire's soul mate is determined by a particular smell; how when Kai was searching for his soul mate, the smell led him to Taemin; how he transforms at midnight because he can't control his instincts during mating season;  Kai explained the restrictions such as forbidden mating between vampires and humans and also same- mating. He then continued by explaining why he hadn't told Taemin about anything.

"I hope you understand why I didn't you...I'm still really confused about the soul mate situation. I can't ask my parents, or wlse they'll get worried. They're already suspicious about you, they're suspecting that you're a human and that I'll be in danger. I don't understand why the scent is coming from you if it goes against the vampire rules...I've been trying to find answers, but I can't."

Taemin stayed silent, letting his brain process all the information it was receiving. "So...so..." he began. but he struggled to find the right words. "Wow," was all he managed to say.

"I-I know it sounds ridiculous, but you have to trust me and keep your promise. I'm still trying to figure everything out. If you don't want to be around me anymore, I completely underst–"

"No, that's not it!" Taemin said, suddenly getting up to join Kai's side on the bed. He held the vampire's shoulders. "I don't want to be away from you, it's just that...well...it's shocking, that's all. But don't think that I hate you or anything like that. You're still the same Kai to me," he said reassuringly, gently rubbing the side of Kai's thigh. Taemin pulled Kai into a tight hug, softly his back to comfort him. Kai mimicked the blonde haired boy, squeezing as tight as he could. 

"Thank you," Kai whispered. He's such a sweet guy. A liar like me doesn't deserve him. 

"So...what are we going to do now?"

"I have no idea," he sighed, and they both chuckled.

After a moment of comfortable silence, Taemin spoke again. "I thought you were going to eat me like you ate the cat."

Kai looked up at him immediately after he said those words. "I'm so sorry for scaring you like that."

"No, it's ok. I really wanted to help you but I didn't know how. You looked so...hungry, like you'd been starved for ages. Are you like that every night?"

"Yeah. My parents said that once I get older, and once mating season is over, I can control my instincts more easily. My parents don't even act like vampires; they barely ever get the craving for blood, and they don't transform like I do."

"So...do you always feed on animals when your instincts come back?"

"Not like yesterday. My mom always has a glass of blood prepared for me at midnight."

"Hmm...So all you need every night is a dose of blood?"

"Mhmm."

"And you said that if a vampire bites a human, it's not infectious, right?"

"Yeah," Kai said, confused about the change of tone in Taemin's voice, accompanied by a curious look on his face. "What are you thinking?"

"Well..." he sighed, "no, nevermind, it's crazy."

"No, what is it, I want to know," Kai insisted, but Taemin kept shaking his head, reluctant to tell him what was on his mind. "Please Taemin. It can't possibly get any crazier than what you saw yesterday, right?"

After hesitating some more, he finally gave in. "Alright fine, I'll tell you. It's just a thought I had...A really crazy thought. But you don't have to accept it."

Kai straightened up, interested in hearing what Taemin had to say. 

"Ok, here's the idea," Taemin began, his words followed by a deep nervous sigh.

After explaining it, Kai's eyes suddenly became wide from surprise. Taemin, you're crazy.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N: Forgive me for the boring chapter >.< I promise the upcoming chapters will be VERY interesting though! Hehehehehe, y'all will love it, I can feel it (^-^) 

Also, I noticed that you guys are from many different countries and regions of the world, and I was wondering about something. I want to know what time it is in your country when you read this chapter. I know I sound super stalker-ish, but I'm weird and I'm curious about a lot of things, so bear with me >.< You don't have to answer if you don't want to! 

And another thing; idk if you're fans of Bangtan Sonyeondan (BTS), but they're my ultimate bias group and they're having yet another comeback and HAVE Y'ALL SEEN THEIR TEASER PICTURES??? THEY'RE SO BEAUTIFUL, AND YOONGI HAS BLONDE HAIR NOW AND THERE ARE STILL 5 MEMBERS' TEASER IMAGES LEFT AND I CAN'T FOCUS ON ANYTHING RIGHT NOW, gosh I'm so not ready for this comeback.

Ahem, please excuse my fangirling. Anyway, I hope your day is bright and colorful!