Prologue

Forbidden

Vampires have been around since centuries. They were divided amongst many different clans. However, a war struck between most of the clans, many years ago. After that war, the vampire community decided that there would be no more clans, because clans led to wars, and wars led to the decrease in the vampire population. Because they wanted to preserve their kind, the vampire community accepted. Since then, the vampires are all individual, and no vampire can tell if another being is also a vampire. In modern times, to avoid suspicion, the vampires blend in society, sending their children to regular school, displaying normal behavior, etc. For the most part, they act like humans; the only difference is that they feed on blood.

After midnight, the thirst for blood of the vampires becomes strong. That's when they usually hunt. The adult vampires can control themselves very well, and are even able to last a week without consuming blood. However, it's not the same for young vampires. When a young vampire comes of age (18 years old), the thirst for blood is extremely strong, especially during mating season. When the clock strikes 12am, the young vampire's appearance begins to change uncontrollably; their eyes change color, their fangs become very apparent, their skin becomes very cold, and they lose touch with reality and their self-control, and will do anything it takes to satisfy their thirst for blood in that moment. The adult vampires don't go through this, because they have full control over their body.

Mating season lasts around 3 months. It starts in ending of August, all throughout November. 

When vampires bite humans, they don't become vampires. The humans simply lose a lot of energy, but they don't turn into vampires. 

In the vampire community, it's forbidden for vampires to mate with humans. Due to past experiences, where vampires have mated with humans, it didn't turn out well; the humans would reveal to others about the vampire community, which would lead them to be burned and tortured during Medieval times. Since then, the vampire community has decided not to mate with humans or tell them about vampires. They simply try to blend in their society in order to avoid suspicion. 

It is also uncommon for vampires to mate with someone of the same . That's because it disables them from having children, which blocks the growth of the vampire species. However, it's not forbidden because it does happen, even though it's rare.

When a new vampire is born in a family, they take the baby to a witch. The witch gives the parents the prophecy of the baby, in the form of riddles, never directly explaining the prophecy. The prophecy can be as simple as what the child will turn out to be, or as complex as what the future holds for him or her in terms of the safety of the vampire species. 

When Kai was born, his parents brought him to one of the witches in their town. The witch put her hand on Kai and began to speak.

"Hoy, Hoy, 

This boy is a toy.

Playing with taboo, 

He'll be out of the group."

After that, she took her hand off baby Kai. 

"But Sycorax, what does this mean 'he is a toy'?" asked Kai's father to the witch, concerned.

"I cannot tell you."

"'Playing with taboo, he'll be out of the group'," repeated his mother. "Does this mean something strange will happen?"

"I am sorry, but I cannot say more. You will have to find out for yourself."

Kai's parents left the witch's shop that day confused and concerned.

"What could all this mean?" asked Kai's mother to her husband.

"I don't know dear. We'll just have to wait and see." They reassured themselves and held hands while heading home.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N: I thought I should explain a bit about vampires in this story so you can understand it better. The story will officially start next chapter!