Chapter 10

Forbidden

A few hours later, Taemin woke up from his nostrils being filled with a sweet smell and his body feeling warm all over. He slowly opened his eyes to find that his face was buried in Kai's neck. He felt like his body wasn't able to move; not because he was surprised, but because Kai had locked his arms around Taemin's body, and their legs were tangled together. Their chests were touching and Taemin could feel Kai's breath caress his cheek. 

He was flustered and confused. How did we end up like this? Then, he realized that they weren't shielded with blankets Therefore, in their sleep, their bodies searched for warmth and latched onto each other. His heart began to beat hard against Kai's chest. Despite the shyness, he felt nice. The heat radiating from Kai's body brought him so much comfort and his scent was intoxicating. He squeezed on Kai's body more and buried his face further on his chest, breathing in that sweet scent it was offering. The way Kai's arms and legs tightly embraced his body made him feel safe. Taemin recalled the first day he and Kai met, all those weeks ago; they had bumped into each other and his books scattered all over the floor. Just like in the movies. Then, they discovered that their lockers were right next to each other's and even got assigned as teammates for the science fare project. It really is like destiny. Ever since then, they were always seen side by side, hanging out on their days off, and goofing around even when they had school work to do. Taemin chuckled to himself. He wished time would stand still so he could get the most out of this peaceful feeling.

Some time later, Kai began to shift in his sleep. His eyes opened, and scanned his surroundings, confused as to why he was sleeping in Taemin's room. He groaned and let out a sigh. Suddenly, he moved quickly and let go of his tight grip on Taemin's body. 

"Mianhae," he apologized nervously, sitting up and fixing himself. 

"You don't need to apologize," Taemin said, also sitting up and rubbing the sleep from his eyes.

Kai thought the sight before him was beautiful. He looks like a kitten who's just woken up from it's sleep. Gosh, why the hell is he so adorable. Kai cleared his throat and straightened up.

"Are you feeling better now?" Taemin asked.

For a moment, Kai didn't know what Taemin was talking about. It was only after the aches and bruises on his body started to throb that he realized why Taemin asked that question. "Oh, yeah, I'm feeling alright," he said, but in fact, his head was aching worse than it was that morning, and the bruises stung relentlessly.

Taemin chuckled. "Don't lie to me," he said, while ruffling Kai's hair. "I'll be back," he announced with a smile.

He headed downstairs and prepared a tray on which he placed food, a glass of water, and some medicine. He re-entered the room and Kai's eyes widened when he saw what Taemin had prepared for him. Taemin, how do you know exactly what I what? 

"Wow, thank you so much," he said to Taemin as the tray was placed in front of him. "You know, sometimes I wonder if you're an angel. You take such good care of me."

Taemin blushed and scratched the back of his hair nervously at the compliment. "Oh, it's no problem, really."

Kai began eating the food Taemin brought him. Taemin looked away, his mind going back to the strange events of the previous night. Just before he could speak, Kai pointed his chopsticks at him, which were holding a piece of meat. Taemin smiled and let Kai feed him.

"Why aren't you eating?" Kai asked.

"I'm not hungry." A moment of silence followed before Taemin opened his mouth again. "Hey Kai, I've been wanting to ask you something...about last night..."

Kai's heart began to beat faster as he recalled what had happened. . I hope he didn't see my transformation. He stayed silent and let Taemin continue.

"So, um, I know this might sound crazy, and I'm probably just imagining things. But um, well I kind of...saw something weird..."

Kai gulped down the rice in his mouth.

"Your hands became super cold, and...you started to change...your eyes...and then I saw something in your mouth, almost like fangs." Taemin explained, feeling absolutely ridiculous. Ugh, what are you saying. Kai probably thinks you're crazy now. How can a human just change like that. You should think before you speak, Taemin. In his mind, he slapped himself.

"Oh, that...It's, uh," Kai struggled to find an explanation, "It's this...condition. A medical condition. Sometimes my body does that. That's why I have to leave early so that I can take my medicine dose for it," Kai lied. He felt bad lying to Taemin because the blonde in front of him had done so much for him and he didn't deserve to be lied to. But he didn't have a choice. Kai somehow managed to reassure himself. Well, it's not entirely a lie. I mean, it is a condition, and it does require for me to take a dose of medicine. Well, not exactly medicine, but blood. It's kind of like medicine, right..?

"Oh! I understand now! No wonder you always left so early, you should've told me!" Taemin said, placing a comforting hand on Kai's shoulder.

"Yeah, sorry about that. I'm just, uh...embarrassed about it, that's all." 

"Oh, I understand. I hope you can be open about it with me someday. I won't judge you or anything."

Kai wanted to pull Taemin into a hug right then. His obliviousness to the truth and his kind words to Kai made him even cuter than before, which Kai had thought to be impossible.

Kai opened the bottle of medicine and put a tablet in his mouth, which he washed down with water. Taemin stared at him. 

"Your face looks better already," Taemin said, passing a gentle hand over the injuries on his face.

Another moment of silence and forcing himself to stop staring at Kai followed before he looked at the beaten boy's face again. Unable to refrain his body, he felt himself drawing closer to Kai's face.

His lips landed on Kai's forehead with the softest touch. It was such an innocent act, but it was impactful enough to make Kai's heart skip a beat. 

Taemin pulled back and pet Kai's hair and stared at the boy's lips. His brain played the memories of the previous night like a film in his mind. He remembered the way Kai reacted when he let his fingers ghost around his arms, how Kai refused to look at him because he was a blushing mess, how he was sure he saw the cornered boy's lips tremble because of the close proximity between the two. Taemin felt good that he was able to make Kai's knees weak, even though he had barely touched him. His mind was focused on one thing at that moment, and he decided to act upon it.

He looked at the bruised boy in front of him, who now had splashes of pink on his cheeks. He decided to let his body do what it wanted. His eyes were locked on the boy's cut lips. He felt himself being drawn to the boy's face once again, but this time, he aimed for a different destination. It felt like an eternity, getting closer and closer to his lips but never reaching close enough to touch them.

Kai's eyes widened when he began to process what Taemin was doing. His breath caught in his mouth and he felt himself tense up. He was torn. He asked himself why it was taking Taemin so long to finally put his lips against his own; in his mind, he was counting the seconds and pleading for their lips to meet, but then he suddenly snapped back to reality when his mother's words reigned his mind. "I want you to stay away from Taemin." 

Kai quickly pulled back, slightly pushing Taemin off of him when doing so. 

"I-I can't..." he stuttered.

"Kai, whaㅡ"

"I'm sorry, I have to go now," Kai insisted, quickly lacing his shoes.

"Wait Kai, pleaseㅡ"

But Kai didn't stick around to hear what Taemin wanted to say. He stormed out of the room. Though his body was aching and he knew that his parents were going to freak out and bombard him with questions when they see his condition, he wanted nothing but the comfort of his bedroom where he could let his thoughts consume him. 

On his walk home, Kai's mind was filled with nothing but Taemin. What just happened...What did he do...Was he going to...?  The way Taemin was looking at him and how his mouth was dangerously close to his, Kai couldn't help but think that Taemin was going to kiss him. ! Taemin, why do you do this to me?! I'm still very confused about this whole soul mate thing; I can't even get any answers! He felt frustrated with himself, like he was doing something he wasn't supposed to do. However, he couldn't think of another way to get the answers to his questions than to spend as much time as possible with Taemin and get to know him more. But he felt that things between them weren't the same, they were starting to change. He didn't understand why Taemin looked at him the way that he did, why his cheeks flushed whenever he thought about him, why he made his insides stir with every touch. I've never even felt like this before, I don't even know what this means! He checked his watch. 11:23 pm. I can definitely make it home before 12 am.

He picked up the pace in hopes of making it home before his transformation time so that his parent's won't be angry at him again. He decided to take a shortcut, which required him to pass through a dark alley. When he entered, he saw three guys in the corner, wearing dark clothes and a hood that cast a shadow on their face, making it impossible to see it. They were smoking something that Kai identified as weed. They had a menacing orb around them. A little voice in Kai's head told him to run.  When one of them saw Kai, he spoke up.

"Well well, fancy meeting you here," said the guy. Kai immediately recognized the voice and the speaking style. It belonged to Jonghyun. Kai decided to ignore them and simply walk by.

"Whatcha doin' out here all by yourself? Aren't you with Taemin?" Jonghyun said, as the two other guys behind him snickered. They were following Kai now. "Hey, don't ignore me!" Kai could sense anger in his voice. He began to run, feeling the boys getting closer and closer to him.

Suddenly, he was roughly pushed against a fence. 

"I TOLD YOU TAEMIN IS MINE!" Jonghyun said, aggressively holding Kai's neck while the two others pinned his shoulders to the fence.

Kai looked at Jonghyun's face, which was even more beat than his due to the continuous blows he had thrown him during their fight earlier that day. A chuckle escaped his mouth. "Yah, Jonghyun, did you tell these two who gave you all those blues on your face?" he said mockingly. 

Jonghyun's eyes were invaded by anger again. "in' bastard, I'm gonna kill you!"

--------------------------------------------------

A/N: Surprise! An earlier than planned update! Actually, today's my 18th birthday and I decided to have a mini celebration with y'all by posting this chapter earlier! 

I hope you enjoy :)

(GAAHHH, cute TaeKai moment at the beginning ^-^ I'm blushing at my own story haha I'm lame *-*)