Chapter 1

Forbidden

18 YEARS LATER

"Kai, it's time to get up!" he heard his mother shout from downstairs.

"Coming!" he said, as he tried to shake the sleep away from him. He looked at the calendar. Today's the day. He forced his tired body downstairs, where his parents were waiting for him with a birthday hat and a cake in their hands.

"Happy birthday sweety!" they both shouted, before bombarding him with hugs and kisses.

"Ok ok, I get it!" he said, chuckling.

"Sit down, I'll cut the cake," his mother ordered.

Kai did as he was told, and his sat next to his father on the dinner table. 

"So son, you know what today is right? Besides your birthday," began his father.

"Yeah, it's my coming-of-age day."

"And do you know what that means?"

"I have to find a soul mate."

"Exactly! You remember the rules right?"

"Yeah; the mate has to be of opposite gender and it must be a vampire."

"That's right, son!" his father said, as he ruffled his hair.

His mother walked in the room with some cake in her hands.

"I can't believe my boy is all grown up," his mother began, getting teary eyed.

"Oh come on mom, stop it. It's not a big deal."

"Yes it is son! Now you're going to find a mate, have your own life. Oh, why does time fly by so fast!"

His father began chuckling. "Now, now dear, it's ok. We can't baby Kai anymore."

"Stop reminding me!" said his mother, as she burst into more sobs, which earned her more laughter from her husband and son.

"Ok, it's time for you to get dressed. you'll start your search today."

Kai obeyed his father and got dressed, after which he joined his parents in front of their entrance door.

"Ok son. Remember, it's the scent that'll determine who your soul mate is."

"How do I know which sent it is?"

"You'll know. There'll be no scent like it, it'll be completely unique."

Kai nodded.

"Alright. Good luck. If you don't find anyone today, don't worry. It's doesn't happen fast. Be sure to come home before midnight!"

After hugging his parents, Kai set off.

He searched around the city for a particular scent  different from any other, as explained by his father. After spending hours searching, he decided to give up for the day. He was tired and hungry; he hadn't had his dose of blood all day. He was slightly disappointed, but like his father said, he can't expect to find a soul mate right away.

As he turned in the direction of his home, his nostrils were suddenly invaded by an odor. An odor unlike any other he has smelled before. It was such a sweet scent. Maybe that's what dad meant! He quickly ran towards to source of the scent. He felt like he was running a marathon, but it was worth it. He wanted to get at least a glimpse of his soul mate.

He ended up at the entrance of a high school. He looked ahead and tried to focus. The scent seemed to be coming from a brunette girl. A very pretty brunette girl. He began approaching her. 

Suddenly, she got up from the bench she was sitting on, and left. Kai expected the scent to move with her, but it didn't. It stayed on that very spot. He focused his attention more. Suddenly, he saw a blonde haired boy sitting on the opposite side of the bench, his back facing Kai. Once again, Kai concentrated on his senses and inhaled deeply, allowing his brain to process the information it was receiving. That scent was definitely from the blonde haired boy. But...how..? He continued to look at him. He was holding some documents and writing down a few things on them. After a while, he got up and headed inside the high school. He must've applied to this high school. Kai was very confused; How is my soul mate a guy? Is this even possible? Is he a vampire too? All these questions were flooding his mind, but he was too tired and hungry to focus on them. He decided to head home for the time being.

"Ah, welcome back!" greeted his father when Kai got through the door. "Did you find anyone?"

Kai was still confused about the situation, so he didn't want to make his parents worried. "Um, no. I didn't find anyone today," he lied.

"It's ok son, don't worry. For some, it takes years to find a soul mate. You're still young."

Kai smiled at his father and went to grab a glass of blood, which he chugged down in a single gulp. 

"Wow, you must've been hungry," noticed his father.

"Yeah. I'm going to take a nap now, I'm tired."

He went to his room and fell on his bed, trying to understand that day's events. That scent was definitely from the guy. But how could that be? Maybe if he's a vampire, it could be possible. Or maybe something's just wrong with me...I have to find out what this all means. He decided that the next day, he would apply to that high school. Maybe if I'm in his class or something, we can be friends and I could try to find the answers. He thought of the blonde haired boy one last time before finally falling asleep.