Chapter 14

Forbidden

"What?!" Kai gasped.

"See? I told you it was crazy..." Taemin's head was low in shame.

"It's just...I don't know, I've never thought about this, at least not in my normal state...I've never actually done that to a human before either."

"I don't know what I was thinking," Taemin let out a chuckle and scratched the back of his head nervously.

"Don't feel bad," Kai reassured, ruffling Taemin's hair affectionately, after which they both stayed silent, lost in their thoughts.

After a moment, Kai's voice filled the room. "Well, you know...it's not entirely crazy."

Taemin looked up at him with hopeful eyes. 

"I mean, you do have that particular scent on you, the soul mate scent...and I still need to find some answers..." Kai considered.

"Yeah, exactly! Maybe if you do it, you'll get a clue and figure something out!"

"You're right!" Kai said excitedly.

They stayed still a moment, looking at each other awkwardly, not knowing what to do next.

"S-So um...Wh-what do we do now?"

"I don't know...I've never fed on a human before..." The whole idea was strange, but it somehow made sense.

"Oh, right...Well, I guess it's not that different from when you were feeding from the cat, right?"

"I guess not..." Kai thought a moment more. "You might feel low on energy when I drink from you."

"Ok," Taemin said, slightly nervous. 

Kai took a deep breathe. "I don't know how it'll feel, if it'll hurt or not, but stop me when you want to, ok?" Taemin nodded.

They both took a comfortable seat on the bed, readying themselves for the unexperienced actions they were about to do. 

"Are you ready?" asked Kai, to which Taemin simply nodded again. 

Kai placed a gentle hand on the right side of Taemin's neck, while his face leaned closer to the left side. Soon, Taemin could feel Kai's breath hitting against his neck. Goosebumps arose at the sensation.

Finally, Kai's lips brushed against Taemin's skin, sending shivers throughout his body. He closed his eyes, feeling more and more anxious, not knowing what to expect. He felt Kai's lips parting and enveloping around his neck. The blonde haired boy suddenly felt teeth digging into his skin. As they made their way deeper into his flesh, Taemin clenched his fists. Kai shifted a bit, leaning his body even closer to Taemin's so he could finally get a taste of his blood. One of his arms held Taemin's shoulder tightly while the other was wrapped around his waist, pulling him as close as possible. As the fangs finally pierced his neck, a groan escaped Taemin's lips and his fingers clamped on Kai's shirt firmly because of the pain, but Taemin didn't want him to stop. 

The more Kai the blood out of him, the more Taemin felt like his energy was being drained from his body. He didn't even realize when Kai had laid him down and was on top of him. Kai's body was pressed firmly against Taemin's. He felt numb, but the feeling on Kai on top of him refused to leave. Taemin's vision became blurry and he felt sleepy. He fingers unconsciously grasped Kai's hair and pulled it gently. 

Taemin felt like the world had stopped turning. What they were doing was crazy, but it felt so right. The feeling of Kai's hair slowly his neck and chin, and his mouth on his neck, feeding off of him, felt so inexplicably amazing. He thought about what Kai had said, about them being soul mates. It really does feel like we're soul mates. 

As Kai pulled away, he the beads of blood the rolled on Taemin's neck. He placed a sweet kiss on the now bruised area where he had fed. He then covered Taemin's eyes. "Please don't look at me," Kai said, feeling self-conscious about his transformation.

Taemin moved Kai's hands away from his eyes and looked at the vampire in front of him. He wiped the blood from Kai's lips and put his thumb in the vampire's mouth, who it clean. "You look beautiful," Taemin said, a lazy smile appearing on his face as he caressed the vampire's cheek. The arms that were holding Kai up gave up on him. He let himself sink into Taemin's chest. Taemin wrapped his arms and legs tightly around Kai's body and he placed a kiss on top of his head. He clinged onto Kai as though he would disappear if he didn't. Butterflies invaded his stomach. He never wanted to let go of the boy in his arms.

Taemin's vision became more blurred, until finally all he could see was black. 

***

A few hours later, Taemin woke up feeling like something was missing. His hands sleepily touched around the bed. When it felt cold, his eyes shot open; Kai was gone. Taemin felt cold, despite the blanket that was covering him. The warmth he needed could only be provided by Kai. 

He got out of bed and into the bathroom. His reflection in the mirror showed a blue and purple patch on the left side of his neck, along with four holes, where Kai had bitten. It's too noticeable, I have to hide it. He placed a bandage over it and went back to bed, still feeling out of energy. His last thoughts before falling asleep were about Kai. He recalled how gentle Kai was being with him despite his strong vampire cravings; he liked the way his body was filled with a unique kind of warmth when Kai was lying in top of him, and he loved the feeling of Kai's mouth on his neck. Taemin realized that he was craving for an intimate moment like this with Kai. I...I think I'm falling for you.

– WITH KAI 

When Kai was done cleaning up after feeding off of Taemin, he placed a blanket over the sleeping blonde and left the house. When he arrived home, it was 10:18 PM. He felt exhausted somehow, and decided to go to bed, where his thoughts once again consumed him. 

I felt something. It was different from when I drink animals' blood. It was...intoxicating. I've never felt like that before. I'm not supposed to drink from humans and my soul mate can't be a male. But why did it feel so right? Why did it feel like that's what I've been waiting for this whole time? Ugh...maybe if I do it a few more times, I'll get some answers...

He crashed into his bed and fell asleep.

When the clock struck midnight, his mother headed to Kai's room, ready to give her son his daily dose of blood. When she entered the room, she was surprised to see that her son was still sleeping comfortably. That's strange...he's normally transformed by now... She decided to wait several minutes by his side, suspecting that he'll change soon. 

But he didn't.

Even after twenty minutes past midnight, Kai remained still, deep in his sleep. His mother was in shock.

Just then, her husband entered the room. "Is everything ok? Why aren't you in bed yet?" he asked, concerned.

"It's Kai...he hasn't transformed..." she whispered.

"What?" Kai's father's face was occupied by a look of surprise. 

His mother hushed her husband and came out of the room, closing the door behind her. "It's been twenty minutes...and he hasn't transformed. I-Is that normal?"

"No it's not...I don't know anyone who came-of-age that didn't transform at midnight, especially not during mating season."

"What could this mean," Kai's mother asked, a hint of panic in her voice. 

"Our boy isn't like the rest of us vampires...Remember the witch's prophecy..?"

"No!"

"Listen dear, I know you don't want to believe it, but the witches' prophecies are never wrong."

His mother covered with her hand, from fear. "Wh-What will we do...he's going to get killed! He's going to put our kind in danger! I don't want my son to be known as the traitor of our people!"

Kai's father held his wife's shoulders gently. "I know, dear, I know...We want what's best for him..."

"Why does he have to be like that! Why can't he be like the rest of us!" his mother burst into tears.

"I...I don't know...please don't cry," he pleaded his wife, wiping her tears away. He pulled her into a comforting hug. 

After calming down, Kai's mother looked at her husband. "What are we going to do now?"

"I think I know what to do."