Chapter 17

Forbidden

The witch searched for a vial and filled it with the brew from the cauldron. She then searched her drawers for a small capsule, one that strengthened her sense of smell considerably, and swallowed it because she needed that for what she was about to do. She left her murky home, the bright moonlight touching her elderly skin as she made her way through the dark, lifeless streets in the late hour of the night. Her improved nose guided her around the neighborhood, following a specific odor. Her aged feet stopped near a convenience store. She observed from a distance.

Inside, a girl was working as a cashier. She looked about 18 years of age. Her long black hair shined from the bright light of the convenience store. The witch's enhanced sense of smell confirmed that this girl was the same as Kai; a vampire. Sycorax watched as the pale girl yawned while stretching her arms. After checking the time on her watch, which indicated that her shift was over, the cashier took off her work t-shirt uniform and changed into a hoodie far too large for her small frame. She then proceeded in arranging some items from the shelves before grabbing a set of keys and her backback and closing the lights of the store.

The witch quickly ripped a rose from a small garden nearby and sprinkled a few drops of the brew on it. She then headed towards the entrance of the store, where the young girl was locking the door. 

"Ah!" screamed the girl in surprise when she found the witch standing only a few feet away from her. She hadn't even heard her footsteps. The cashier bowed and apologized. "You scared me."

The witch put her acting skills to the test. "Ohhh, what a pretty girl you are," her hoarse voice filled the deserted streets. 

"Thank you," said the cashier, tucking her hair behind her ear shyly.

"You know what would suit you?" the witch began, holding the rose to the cashier, "a pretty rose."

"Waahh, I love roses! Thank you!" she smiled, taking the rose with both hands and bowing to the witch.

"You know, roses smell particularly nice this time of the year," the witch lied.

"Really?" The young girl held the rose to her nose, breathing in the scent that it was offering. "Oh, you're right! What a strong smell," she agreed.

The witch displayed a triumphant smile. "Now go home. It's getting late," she said, pretending to care for the young girl's safety.

With another bow followed by a sweet smile, the girl left. 

When she arrived home and went to her bedroom, her mind was suddenly consumed by agony. Her eyes squinted as the throbbing pain pounded against her skull. Her vision became blurry and she fells to her knees. Her world was spinning. She curled herself on the ground, hugging her knees to her chest in hope that the agony would end. Her whole body trembled, sweat trickling down her temple and back. She whimpered from the ache, but nobody was home to tend to her cries. Just when she thought things couldn't get any worse, sprays of a red liquid escaped as she coughed up blood. Soon after, she out.

– MEANWHILE, WITH THE WITCH 

Sycorax knocked on the Kim family's door. It was very late in the night and Kai's parents struggled to get out of bed to answer it. When they finally did, they were surprised to see that no one was there. Only a letter was found at the foot of the door. Kai's father reached down and held it. The name 'Sycorax' was scribbled at the back of the envelop. Kai's father shot a nervous look to his wife.

"Open it," Kai's mother urged, bringing her nail to , which she chewed on anxiously. 

After swallowing hard, her husband finally did. It seemed like an eternity before the actual letter was pulled out of the envelop. Kai's father unfolded the paper gently and slowly, as though something would go wrong if he did otherwise. The letter contained only five words:

The deed has been done.

The couple looked at each other, an unusual combination of fear and relief flashing across their face. 

"C-Could this mean...that our Kai...is safe now?" Kai's father began.

"I-I think so..."

Suddenly, a breeze whirled around the couple, their hair flying in all directions and their pajama pants trembling from the wind. The whisper of a familiar hoarse voice was heard from the center of it. 

"Your boy will no longer play with taboo or be out of the group," the witch's voice said, just before the whirlwind stopped and the couple's hair fell into a tangled mess. 

Kai's parents looked at each other again, this time, an excited smile forming across their lips.

"Yes!" the father yelled into the night.

"Our boy is safe!" the mother yelled, matching her husband's excitement. 

They finally went back inside the house, but there was no way they were able to fall back asleep, not when exhilaration was coursing through their veins this late at night.

* * *

Several hours later, the young girl that worked as a cashier at the nearby convenience store woke up to the sound of her alarm. She found herself laying on the cold hard ground, her body aching from the uncomfortable position she'd slept in and a light pain hitting against her skull. She slowly got up, her vision slightly blurry from the fuzz in her brain. When her vision finally came into focus, she noticed the drops of blood splattered on the floor near her. Her mind was fully awake now and it began to process its surroundings. A confused expression crept along her features. H-How did this happen..? Why am I on the floor..? Why is there blood..? Why does my head hurt..? She got up and sat on the edge of her bed, trying desperately to replay the events of the previous night in her head.

Nothing.

Her memory was blank. Any attempt at remembering the events of the night before had failed. She still knew who she was, where she was and who her family is, but anything beyond that was a blur. An uneasy feeling settled in the pit of her stomach. She held her head between her arms as her body rolled up on the bed in a fetal position. Wh-What's happening...Why can't I remember...What is this strange feeling..? Tears started gathering at the edge of her eyes as the light ache in her skull doubled into a throbbing pain.

A moment later, out of the blue, her confusion vanished and a clear goal came in her mind as she lost contact with her normal self. After cleaning up the mess on the floor, she quickly got dressed and left the house.

After buying a new school uniform, one she had never worn before because she attended a different one, she headed to her new school and handed in her application. The principal let her start that very day, and she gathered her new books and headed towards a hallway that led to her locker. Without warning, a particular scent, a scent unlike anything she's smelled before, traveled through her nostrils. She inhaled it deeply in her lungs. This is it. This is what I want. This is what I came here for. The girl's previous memories were completely wiped out when her mind processed this new odor. 

Her feet began to walk towards the sweet aroma.

 – WITH KAI –

Kai let out a grunt of annoyance as his alarm went off. After several minutes of rolling around on the bed, having an inner battle on whether or not he should go to school, he finally convinced himself to get his body off the bed. Getting up every day to go to school had become a daily struggle now. He had nothing to look forward to anymore; seeing Taemin every day was painful and what made it worse was seeing their friendship falling apart before their eyes and not being able to do anything about it. Kai didn't understand why they both still lingered around each other when they could just stop seeing one another completely, but he couldn't bring himself to do it, and that only made the situation that much more frustrating. He watched as their once lively conversations slowly turned into awkward silences and even more awkward glances at one another, hoping that one of them would talk but no one did. 

Skinship had become a thing of the past too, and it strangely bothered Kai; he'd never been one to do skinship excessively, but with Taemin, it felt so natural and he'd gotten very comfortable with it. He missed those affectionate touches they shared, which were now forgotten and replaced by the apparent gap they kept between each other when they walked side by side.

He dragged his feet into the bathroom to get cleaned up, after which he got dressed and went straight to the front door to lace his shoes around his feet, deciding to skip breakfast like he'd been doing for some time now. He'd lost his appetite lately and the pounds were quickly shedding off of him. His world was becoming a dark cycle of unbeatable sadness. 

The vampire left the house, begging for his relunctant feet to move, and headed towards the school he'd come to hate. Just like every damn morning, he got swallowed by the annoying flock of students, all wearing bored expressions on their tired faces as they headed towards their destinations. Kai passed through the hallway that lead to his locker, wondering who the hell got the idea of painting the walls with such an cringe-worthy color. Since the past month now, he'd grown to absolutely loathe the building he once enjoyed to be in, and felt like he could puke if he spotted yet another flaw. 

Just as he turned his heels to head to class after grabbing what he needed from his locker, he froze. An odor climbed his nose and confused his already puzzled brain. He couldn't recall any other scent similar to it. But it was not completely unique either.

It resembled the soul mate scent, sweet and stronger that any other aroma, but it didn't quite replicate it. It was slightly different, but not enough to make Kai brush it off.

If his legs were lazy earlier, they certainly weren't anymore as Kai speed walked through the hallway, following this new and peculiar scent. 

After a few dozens of steps and his head turning from left to right over the herd of students to locate the source of the odor, he was finally able to zoom in on it. He could see someone from the distance looking straight at him and advancing in his direction when they made eye contact. His feet picked up the pace, converting onto a slow jog before halting to a stop.

A cute girl with long shiny black hair hanging on her shoulders and waist stopped right in front of him. The aroma came from her petite frame and Kai had a bewildered expression on his face. The girl stood still in front of him as if she had finally found what she was looking for. After what seemed like an eternity of just standing and staring at each other, trying to answer the millions of questions that passed through his mind, the girl's small voice shook him out of his thoughts.

"I've finally found you, soul mate."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N: I've returned with a new chapter! I saw that some of you were upset with how things turned out in the previous one, but I hope you'll forgive me hehehe, this is how I decided to make the story.

As for this one, I don't know if I explained it well, but if it's confusing then I'm open to answering your questions (without spoiling the plot of course)! 

Also, GOT7 AND APINK COMEBACK THIS MONTH GAAAAHHHH are you guys excited? Cause I definitely am! ^-^