Chapter 5

Forbidden

"Oh son, you're back. How was your first day at the new school?" asked his father when Kai entered the house. 

"My first day. It was..." Kai struggled to find the right word. It had been a good day with Taemin, but where Jonghyun is concerned, it wasn't so good. "It was interesting."

"That sounds good."

"Did you make any friends?" asked his mother, who was setting the table for supper.

"Friends?" Kai thought out loud. "Yeah, I think I made a friend." 

"Great! What's his name?"

Taemin kept popping up in his head. "Taemin..." he said slowly, as though he was lost in his thoughts. A smile began to form on his face.

His parents looked at each other suspiciously, seeing how their son had reacted when he uttered his new friend's name.

"D-did you smell anything particular today?" asked his father.

"No," Kai lied once again. I can't tell them now, it's too soon to know for sure.

His parents exchanged a slightly relieved look.

"I'm going to go change up, I'll be right back," Kai informed, as he headed to his bedroom.

When their son was out of the kitchen, his parents began whispering to each other.

"Are you thinking what I'm thinking?" asked his mother. "Do you think Kai's attracted to Taemin? Remember what the witch had said: 'Playing with taboo, He'll be out of the group.'"

"The witch's prophecy...Kai attracted to a guy...But it can't be."

"Why not? You saw the way he smiled when he said the boy's name."

"Yes, but he said that he didn't smell anything in particular."

"It doesn't have to be his soul mate, he could still be attracted to Taemin."

"It's to early to know. He's only met Taemin today. Let's not jump to conclusions," said his father, just before Kai had returned.

His father cleared his throat. "So, uh, Kai, are you close with Taemin?"

"Hmm, I guess...we talked a lot today and get along really well. He even invited me over to his place after school."

"Is he, you know...one of us?"

"I don't know. I think he's human."

His parents exchanged a nervous look.

"Well son, I'm glad you made a friend. But you have to find out whether he's one of us or not. We can't be too involved with humans, you know that."

"I-I know dad. He's just a friend. I only met him today, I can't ask him directly."

"Yes we understand sweetheart, but you know what these humans have done to us in the past," reminded his mother.

Kai began to feel slightly upset. "I know, mom...I'll try to find out soon." I really hope you're one of us, Taemin. That's the only way my parents will accept you.

After supper, Kai grabbed his glass of blood and headed to the bedroom. He began thinking about the soul mate situation, how Taemin is related to it, how all these things might fall into place, but he couldn't make sense of it. He knew his parents were right about how his kind shouldn't be extremely involved with humans, but he got along with Taemin so well. He was already beginning to feel attached to him. There's just something about him that's so...addicting. Maybe it's the scent. Vampire or not, he didn't want to lose Taemin as a friend. He's the first person I've ever clicked with immediately.

Exhausted from these stressful thoughts, he finally fell asleep. At midnight, his blood lust woke up from his sleep and his mother came just in time for his dose of blood, after which he went back to sleep.

The next morning, he got up excitedly, ready for another day to spend with his new friend. After eating breakfast, he headed out to school. When he reached the gate, he heard a voice call him name.

"Kai!"

He turned around to see who it was. He saw a waving hand amongst the crowd of students and approached it.

"Good morning, Taemin," he greeted.

"Good morning!" 

"I just realized that I don't have your number," Taemin noticed.

Kai took out his cell phone and they both exchanged numbers. They walked inside the school towards their lockers. Jonghyun was already there with a group of guys who looked just as menacing as him. They all gave Kai a threatening look.

"Yah Jonghyun, he's the one you're talking about eh?" asked one of them, pointing towards Kai with his thumb. The whole gang started to laugh. Kai was beginning to feel slightly insecure.

Taemin saw Kai's saddened facial expression. "You're such a jerk!" he shot at Jonghyun, who was shocked.

He held Kai's hand and began leading him out of the locker room. Kai was taken by surprise.

"Ignore them, and don't look back," he ordered. As the two were heading out, they heard Jonghyun kick the locker in frustration.

Their first period class went smoothly. After Taemin had screamed after Jonghyun, he seemed to have settled down; he didn't talk to Kai and kept the glaring at a minimum. In fact, his menacing aura had diminished too. Kai was surprised. It's almost like he's hurt.

During lunch, Kai and Taemin decided to do their math homework. Since Taemin was already struggling with math class, Kai helped him. They sat close to each other at a table, arms and legs touching, and Kai explained the math exercise to Taemin. Jonghyun sat close by and stared at the two painfully. Taemin was smiling so widely around Kai. He's never even sat this close to me and I've known him for years now. He decided to leave.

"Kai, do you want to come over again to work in the project? And I promise we'll start working on it this time."

"Yeah," Kai said, chuckling.

"Great! I have some left over japchae that my eomma made last night, it's really good. You should try it."

"Japchae? I love japchae! Thank you, thank you, thank you!" Kai said enthusiastically, while grabbing Taemin's hand subconsciously.

"Oh, mianhae," Kai said  realizing what he'd done. Maybe it's too early for skinship.

"Ani, I don't mind," Taemin replied with a smile, tightening his grip on Kai's hand. 

The touch felt nice to Kai. His hand is so warm and soft.

The two stayed like that for a moment before Taemin spoke up again. "Let's leave now so we can start in advance."

"But, we have to go to our third period class."

"You're too smart for that class and I learn more from you that I do from the teacher," Taemin stated.

Kai chuckled. "Alright fine, let's go."

They left the school and arrived at Taemin's house some time later. Taemin took out the Japchae as promised and heat it in the microwave before serving it to Kai and himself. As they were eating, Kai decided to begin his research on Taemin.

"So, uh, it's mating season..." he began.

Taemin choked on his water. "Mating season? Uh, yeah, I'm sure it is...it's mating season for a lot of animals at this time of the year," Taemin said awkwardly.

Kai began to feel nervous. If he was a vampire, he'd now exactly what I'm talking about. He'd know what I meant by 'mating season', but he didn't. That means he's not of our kind. This meant that Taemin wasn't his soul mate, because a vampire can't mate with a human. For some reason, sadness overcame Kai. However, he was still confused. But...why is that scent coming from him then?

He was pulled back to reality when he felt Taemin's hand in his hair. 

"You're so weird," he said, as smiled and ruffled Kai's hair affectionately. "I like that," he ended, making Kai blush.

After eating, the two headed to Taemin's bedroom to start on the project. They suggested different ideas and came up with a brilliant project that was worthy of entering the science fare. After staring it a little bit, they decided to take a break. They ended up watching a movie together. At some point, Kai felt drained of energy because he hadn't had his dose of blood. He fell asleep and rested his head on Taemin's shoulder unconsciously. 

Taemin kept staring at the sleeping beauty on his shoulder. He Kai's soft hair and ran a finger along his jaw. "Why do you make my heart beat fast," he whispered. 

Kai woke up from Taemin's voice in his ear and looked straight up at him. Taemin looked at him with so much affection in his eyes. Their gaze locked for a few seconds and Kai's heart skipped a beat. He checked the time. 9:09pm.

"It's getting late," Kai announced, getting on his feet.

"But, it's only 9pm." 

"I should really head home," Kai said, scratching the back of his head nervously. "I'll see you tomorrow," he said, opening the door to leave before giving Taemin a chance to protest.

Snap out of it Kai, you can't let him make you feel like that. It's way too early. But you have a project to work on together so it's inevitable that you'll be spending a lot of time together... He sighed in irritation. Keep it together. You're just looking for answers from him. He reassured himself by repeating those words in his head.

----------------------------------------------------------------

A/N: Sorry if this chapter is boring and kind of repetitive >.< Just a heads up: the story might be kind of slow at first, but I promise it'll get better! Thanks for leaving comments, I really enjoy reading them ~(*+﹏+*)~