Chapter 26

Forbidden

Several seconds later, Kai's dad opened the bedroom door, his eyes puffy and hair disheveled. 

"Kai, what's going on? Why are you being so loud?" his father asked, his voice rough from sleep. 

Kai didn't even know where to begin. There were so many things on his mind, he didn't know how to start. He paced back and forth in front of his dad, gripping his hair tightly in frustration.

Kai's father only then noticed the nervous state of his son. "What's wrong?" he asked, reaching out to put his hand on Kai's shoulder, only to have it smacked away. 

"Don't touch me!" Kai exclaimed. 

His father was taken aback. "Would you just tell me what the hell is going on?!" he said, raising his voice. The door to the bedroom opened wider, revealing Kai's equally tired mother. 

"What's going on, why are you two shouting?" she asked, looking back and forth between Kai and her husband.

Kai finally stopped pacing and let his head drop. Tears began gathering in his eyes as the whirlwind of emotions running through him became overwhelming. 

In front of him stood the two people he cared about the most, the two people he trusted the most. 

But now, all of that changed. He couldn't help but look at them in a different light.

Liars.

Betrayers.

The tears started rolling down his cheeks and landed at his parents' feet.

His mother instinctively reached out for her son to comfort him, but just like he did to his father, he didn't allow it and took a step back. His mother was getting seriously worried, having never seen her son behave like this before. "Kai," she said in the most calming voice she could manage, "please tell us what's going on..."

He quickly wiped the tears from his face, not wanting to be weak in front of his parents.

"I can't believe you would do that..." Kai managed to say.

"Do what, honey? What are you talking about?" Kai's mother attempted to place her hands on arms, which he surprisingly allowed, and ran her warm fingers over them.

"I can't believe you tricked me..."

His parents looked like deer in the headlights. They looked at each other, panic written over their features as they tried to formulate an answer, but were unable to do so. Kai had figured everything out, and they could do nothing to prove him wrong. His father's head hung low in shame and his mother began tearing up out of guilt.

"We had to, Kai...It was the only way we could keep you safe."

"Safe?!" Kai voice raised. "You might've kept me safe, but what about them?!" he said, pointing towards his room, where Minji and Taemin were peeking out. 

His parents didn't seem to follow. "What do you mean?" asked Kai's father.

"Minji lost her memory and Taemin has been dragged into all of this mess because of you!" The tears continued to flow down his cheeks.

His parents were dumbfounded upon hearing the news, eyes growing wide in shock.

"What..? W-We didn't do anything to Taemin or Minji, Kai..." his mother responded.

"You might not have, but the witch did! You guys involved her into this, didn't you...DIDN'T YOU?" Kai's angered kept multiplying as his parent's expression grew more and more guilty, proving that his speculations are indeed true. 

"Yes we did! But–" Kai's father began, but then saw his son heading for his bedroom, where he pulled Minji towards them. 

"Tell them, Minji, tell them what happened to you!" Kai told Minji. 

Minji hesitantly began. She wasn't very close to Kai's parents, despite them knowing about their son's relationship with her. She gathered her courage and told them everything.

Everything from meeting the old woman, now known to her as Sycorax the witch, for the first time, to the strange flashbacks she was having, to the even stranger migraine attacks that occurred on a few occasions, and having seen Sycorax again that night. 

Kai's mother had her hand over , shocked at hearing what Sycorax had done. She was the tribe's witch for so long, and the tribe had put so much trust in her. She couldn't believe the witch would do such a terrible thing. 

After Minji's story, Kai spoke again. "That's not all..." he began, and proceeded in telling them his theory of the whole situation.

Everyone listened attentively, both excited and shocked at how all the mysterious pieces fit together and the story made sense.

Sycorax was definitely behind all of this, and she had betrayed her tribe.

"We made a horrible mistake...But we were afraid Kai! We knew you'd developed feelings for Taemin. You know that's not right! He's human, Kai! You'd have been executed if the tribe leaders found out that you committed a taboo! We were just trying to keep you safe!" his father stated.

"Your father's right, we only did it to protect you. We asked Sycorax to try to find a solution, but we never thought she'd go this far!" His mother burst into tears. She knew they'd screwed up, not only making a mess out of their son's life, but also Taemin and Minji's, who had nothing to do with the situation to begin with. 

"I don't care anymore, just please fix this! Kai was growing more and more agitated by the minute. 

His parents nodded to each other once, seemingly having understood each other without uttering a single word, and Kai's father went back into the bedroom and began collecting a few things. 

Kai's mother on the other hand, went to greet Taemin and Minji properly, but the task proved to be a challenge. How could she possibly look them in the eye after having dragged them into this frenzy? Taemin and Minji reassured her repeatedly, patting her back while she tried to muffle the sobs that wouldn't stop coming. What made her even more sad was watching her son pace back and forth around the room, visibly irritated by his own mother's presence. She and her husband did something that they could never take back; they'd made their only son lose trust in them, and they were incredibly guilt-ridden. 

Some time later,  he heard his father call his mother. Kai followed her to the first floor, where his dad stood in front of the door. His father was carrying a loaded backpack and dressed in comfortable clothes. He stayed a few feet back, as his mother and father conversed in whispers. His mother's expression was both of anxiety and relief as she listened to her husband's proposals. His father concluded by giving his wife a tight hug and a kiss on the forehead, whispering "Don't worry, it'll be all right."

He proceeded in taking a few steps back slowly and shifting his attention to Kai. He looked a his son straight in the eyes. Kai could see the shame in them, and his angered softened a bit. Seeing his dad, who was always so confident, look so guilty and vulnerable stirred something in him. 

His father came to a stop. He spoke in a low, almost timid voice. "Kai...I'm so sorry." In an instant, his father's fangs grew out, and his eyes reflected the moon's gleam, glistening like sapphires. 

It was the first time Kai had seen him transform.

His father managed to curl the corner of his lips into a guilty smile, hoping that Kai would understand his sincerity, before he ran at an impossibly fast speed and let the night's darkness engulf him. 

--------------------------------------------------------------

Hello Hello Hello!

So next chapter is most probably the last one! Be prepared for lots of drama!

Ohhhh and who's looking forward to ISAC 2016? BTS were great from what I've seen of the little clips and pics that fans secretly took (God bless them seriously)! My babies did well ^^ AND SO MANY YOONMIN MOMENTS I'M JUST LIKE??? +BTS interactions with other groups I'm so happeeehh :D AND JEON ING JUNGKOOK SHOWED HIS ABS WHAT??? But he slayed everyone in wrestling omfg where does he get that strength from he's like 9 years old )x BUT I'M SO PROUD *proud ARMY dance*

Also, RIP to Alan Rickman. I was honestly so freaking devastated when I heard the news that he died, especially considering that I was literally watching Prisoner of Azkaban the night before and woke up to find out that he died...he was such a brilliant actor, not only playing the role of my favorite character in the Harry Potter series, but also playing numerous other roles so well. 

Anyway, sorry to end this on a depressing note, but I just really loved him ><

Annyeong!