Chapter 18

Forbidden

Kai stood frozen at the sound of the girl's words. He opened his mouth slightly, trying to find the right words to say, but was unable too. It was just too confusing and messed up. But he knew there was truth in the girl's words; the scent emitting from her proved it. The question was: How?

Before he knew it, her grabbed the girl by her wrist and dragged her through the hallway, out of the building, his face contorted into a look of worry and confusion. If his brain wasn't flooded with questions and concerns, he would've noticed brushing passed Taemin. The blonde haired boy watched the vampire hold the unknown girl and lead her out of the school. Something stirred in him at the sight, jealousy and curiosity picking at his feelings. He could only manage to follow them with his eyes as he watched them leave the facility, unable to bring himself to physically follow them. Though the sight was strange and bothered him, what troubled him further was the look on Kai's face. He could detect the distress on thhe vampire's face, and it surpassed the usual look of worry he'd been carrying since the last few weeks. He stood still in the middle of the hallway as the student body brushed passed him, unintentionally bumping him on their way. His feet seemed glued to the ground as he debated on whether or not he should follow the two. Finally, the school bell rang and shook him out of his thoughts. Taemin decided not to follow them because he figured it would be best not to get involved anymore, as he has been trying to do for some time now. If he followed Kai, he would get into his world again, and that was something he tried desperately to bypass. He shook his head in an attempt to clear it, and scurried to class.

MEANWHILE, WITH KAI 

Kai still had a tight grip on the girl's hand as he led her to the back of the school where he was sure they wouldn't get caught and get in trouble. The girl stared at him with a curious look on her face as she felt him detach himself from her and walk back and forth with one hand on his waist while the other was placed on his head. She watched him struggle to pick one out of the many questions in his mind to ask her. 

"I'm Minji," she greeted.

Kai finally shot a glance at her. "I-I'm Kai." 

"Nice to meet you. I'm a vampire too," she helped. 

"B-But..."

"How did I find you? Easy! I followed your smell!" she said cutely.

"You mean...'That' scent..? THE scent..?"

"Yeah! Its a sweet scent, I've never smelled anything like it before. Its better than any perfume I've ever smelled!"

That's when Kai knew that she was indeed talking about the soul mate scent, but that only confused him even further.

"B-But how could this be..?" he thought out loud, not intending to be heard.

"What do you mean?"

Kai thought for a moment. I can't tell this girl about Taemin...she'll get suspicious and find out he's a human...and she might tell other vampires about me and I'll put myself and my family in danger...no, I can't do that...I'll keep it a secret. "N-Nothing..."

"Sorry, I guess you're kind of shy huh?" the girl assumed. "Truthfully, I'm shy too. I didn't think I;d find my soul mate this soon, and I've never fed on anyone before, only animals' blood," she confessed, looking to the ground and playing with her fingers, a tint of pink appearing on her cheeks. 

"I just...It's just so–"

"I'm sorry if it's too sudden..." she interrupted, "I understand if you want to give it some time...I hope you can become comfortable with me soon," she added nervously, followed by a shy smile. Just as she was about to walk away, Kai put a light hand on her shoulder when he saw her saddened expression.

"Wait," he said. Minji turned around to face him once again, a hopeful expression beginning to show on her face.

"I'm sorry, it's that there's a lot going on in my life right now and I'm really confused about it. I was just surprised when you said you were my soul mate..." Kai explained.

"Oh, ok. I understand," Minji replied. "Let's...try to get to know each other?" she suggested in an interrogative tone, not knowing how Kai will respond.

"Yeah...that sounds like a good idea."

And so, the two vampires spent the next two hours talking about themselves, getting to know one another's interests and familiarizing with each other's personalities. Although the girl paid her full attention to Kai, he didn't do the same. His mind was too preoccupied with the pestering questions that demanded answers. Kai felt bad that he had to be repeatedly brought back to reality by Minji waving her hand in front of his face or the occasional "Oppa?" that she murmured when he didn't hear her question. He didn't even realize when she'd started calling him Oppa, but it was inevitable now that they were apparently soul mates and needed to get comfortable with each other, right? Minji seemed like a very sweet girl, equally as surprised about the situation as Kai, and he felt bad that he didn't pay much attention to her when she did it so well. He couldn't help it, but he tried his best.

Some time later, the bell rang, indicating the end of first period class.

"You should go to class now, or you'll get in trouble. It's only your first day and I made you skip your first period. I'm sorry," Kai advised and apologized. 

"Don't worry about it! I'm glad we got to talk," Minji said, her famous sweet smile flashing across her face, which Kai returned.

"I'll talk to you again some time soon," Kai reassured. After exchanging numbers, they both parted ways.

Kai decided to skip the rest of the day, knowing that he wouldn't be able to concentrate in class with his brain filled with scattered puzzle pieces of the increasingly complex soul mate situation. He headed home and his tired mind dozed off in a deep slumber as soon as his body touched the bed.

– MEANWHILE, WITH TAEMIN  

Taemin noticed that Kai was absent during their classes together. He wondered if he was still with that girl he saw earlier. Again, he felt jealous at the thought of her and tried desperately to rid those feelings from his body, but he was unable to take his mind off of it.

When his second period class ended, he go into the hallway and walked passed a familiar person. It was the black haired girl he'd seen with Kai that morning. She was alone, and Taemin felt himself being relieved that she wasn't with Kai. But now, he wondered where the vampire was; if he's not with the girl, and if he's not with Taemin or in any of their classes, then he must surely be home, he assumed.

At the end of the day, Taemin went home alone. He was usually accompanied by Kai, since the vampire went to his house most days after school to work on the project, but today was different. He figured Kai would come by later.

A few hours had passed and Kai was still not there. The lack of phone call or text message to justify his absence left Taemin feeling slightly concerned. The science fare was approaching, and Taemin knew Kai wasn't the type to neglect educational matters just because he was lazy, so this was strange. He decided to give him a call. 

"Your phone call will be forwarded to an automatic voicemail system. At the tone–" said the voice message in a monotone manner, just before Taemin ended the call. He dropped his phone on the bed and resumed his work. His mind kept nagging him, pushing him to check his phone; still no reaponse from Kai. Before he knew his finger pressed the 'Recall' key and he held his phone to his ear, listening to the phone ring repeatedly while he waited for the latter to answer. Taemin ended the call and dropped his phone on the bed once again, only this time less gently than the last. What are you doing Taemin...why are you so clingy to him...stop worrying so much and just forget about him, pabo. He lectured himself, after which he allowed himself to sink into his bed, fatigue suddenly washing over him.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N: Ugh I'm so disappointed with this chapter, it's horrible...But I didn't know how else to write it, I hope you'll let this go. 

Also, I hit 100 subscribers! Thank you so much for subscribing and following my story, I really appreciate it (^-^) *virtual hugs* And thank you to those who've upvoted my story too!

Lastly, I wanna let you know that my updates might take a lot more time now because I started summer school; it's an intensive course, so I'm gonna be busy in that. I'll update whenever I can, but it'll take a while! 

I'll talk to you again soon (hopefully)! Have a great day ∩__∩