Chapter 3

Forbidden

"Chesonghabnida," said the blonde haired boy, as he lowered himself to gather the scattered books and papers. The sweet scent had returned, and it was emitting from him. 

Kai joined him to help. He spontaneously decided to take advantage of the situation and try to become his friend.

"Um, do you have time to spare?" he asked.

"Yeah, I do."

"Could you tell me where this locker is?" he said, showing him the paper, "I've been trying to find it for a while now, but I can't."

"Sure! Oh, I think it's next to mine! Follow me," the blonde haired boy answered smilingly. 

As Kai walked behind him, he tried to confirm if the sweet scent was indeed coming from him; it was hard to tell exactly who it was coming from, considering there were so many students surrounding them.

Suddenly, the blonde haired boy switfly turned around, causing Kai to collide into him again because the move was so sudden. Since they collided, their bodies were close and Kai finally confirmed that the scent is from him. 

"Oh, chesonghabnida!" they both said, laughing. Gosh, his smile is so cute. 

"The locker is right there, in that corner," the boy pointed.

Kai checked the paper again. "6...031, yeah, that's it!" he said, as he opened the lock. 

"What a coincidence, our lockers are right next to each other!" the boy noticed. "What class are you in?"

Kai took out his schedule. "It says 'Class A.'" 

"No way! We're in the same class too!"

"Really?" Kai said, while laughing in surprise.

"You have physics first period, right?"

Kai took a look at his schedule again. "Yeah, I do."

"Great, so do I! Come, I'll lead you to the class."

This guy is so nice. I still haven't asked for his name.

Just then, the boy spoke. "By the way, I'm Taemin. Lee Taemin," the boy introduced himself.

"Ah Taemin-ssi, I'm Kim Jongin. But everyone calls me Kai."

"Just 'Taemin' is fine. We can't be friends if you're so proper!" he said affectionately. "And Kai? Kai like 'kai, bai, bo' (rock, paper, scissors)?" he asked.

"I guess. My family has been calling me that since I was little," Kai explained, a bit embarassed.

"It's a cute name," Taemin replied with a smile, which made Kai blush a little. 

Taemin began to lead Kai to their classroom.

"Are you new? I've never seen you around here," Taemin asked curiously.

"Yeah, I transfered last night."

"Ah okay. How are you liking the school so far?"

"I like it, it's much better than my old school," he said, while they both sat down next to each other at a desk.

"Oh, what school did you go to?"

"I went to–" Kai began, but the teacher had walked in and began speaking. 

"Good morning, class! I am your physics teacher. My name is Kim Yejun. Pleased to meet you all."

He continued with his introduction. After a while, he began to explain a project that will be due in a few months' time.

"Your first physics project will be due in 3 months. It has to be a very good project, because I will pick the best team to participate in the science fare, and as you all know, the science fare adds a lot of credit points to your diploma, so work hard on it. I have already assigned you your team mates," he said, earning wave of sighs of disappointment from the students in the class. "If you don't like your team mate, then you can come talk to me after class!" he ended.

Just then, a knock was heard on the door. The teacher opened it and sighed.

In entered a muscly guy with his hair dyed three different shades and pointing in different directions. He had a tough look in his face, and a menacing aura followed him. He didn't even bother wearing his uniform properly; the jacket was left wide open, revealing a Bring Me The Horizon (a heavy metal band) t-shirt. A few tattoos were visible on his neck and arms. He had a few cuts and bruises on his body, like he'd been in a fight multiple times. 

Seeing all this, Kai came to the conclusion that Jonghyun was definitely not someone to mess with.

"I see you're keeping your reputation of always being late as strong as ever, Mr. Jonghyun," said Mr. Yejun, as Jonghyun swaggered his way into the classroom. "And when are you going to start wearing your uniform properly?!"

"Sorry," he said, shrugging, though his face didn't seem apologetic at all. 

As he entered the class, he headed towards Taemin to sit next to him, but when he saw that the seat was taken, he glared at its occupant, Kai. 

"Why is he sitting there?" he asked.

"Nobody said it's your seat, Jonghyun," Taemin shot back.

"But I always sit next to you!"

"Jonghyun-ssi, that's enough! Go sit elsewhere!" ordered the teacher. 

Before moving, Jonghyun gave another dangerous glare to Kai and sat on the seat at the back of the class. 

The teacher continued his lecture. "Alright, I'll tell you who you're partnered with now." He started naming the partners. After going through a few of them, Taemin's name was heard. "Lee Taemin, you'll be assigned with Kim Jongin."

When hearing the news, Taemin looked at Kai and smiled warmly. Kai did the same. He could feel Jonghyun's glare from the back of the class. 

After naming everyone's partner, the teacher decided to give the students time to get to know their partners more. 

"Wow I can't believe we're even partners on this project! It's like we're soul mates or something," stated Taemin.

"Yeah," Kai chuckled at the irony. If only you knew, Taemin.

When Jonghyun heard this, he decided to speak up, ignoring his partner, a smart and nice looking girl. "Oh please, Taemin, it takes a lot more than that to be a soul mate," he laughed sarcastically.

"I was just joking," answered Taemin, obviously annoyed at Jonghyun's behavior.

Do these two know each other well? It seems like they do...but why are they so aggressive with each other?

The rest of the class, Taemin and Kai talked about anything but the project at hand. Taemin was very interested in knowing more about Kai, and Kai felt the same. After all, that's the reason why transfered to the school.

The whole time, Kai felt like he was suffocating from Jonghyun's continuous glare.