Meeting the Family

Our Summer Love Story [Please Read Last Chapter]

One week. It was like a timer. I knew that when the last week was up, I would have to leave. I would have to go back to school. I would have to pretend to be okay when sometimes it wasn't. And lastly, I wouldn't be able to see Baekhyun. He had etched his way into my life. And although I have only met him for such a short amount of time, I felt more comfortable and relaxed than with some friends whom I have known for years.

I realized that I may have spent too much time with him. My sister had nagged me for what felt like hours about how I ditched her and our parents. Honestly, what was the big deal? She knew I would've been mentally somewhere else anyways. Geez.

So to make it up, I suggested we all go out to dinner together. It felt like it had been forever since the four of us went out. My father is a supervisor of a department in a company back in LA and my mother works as a secretary for some boss in another company. Basically, they were very busy individuals. Eun Sang recently had graduated college and is working in a doctor's office so she has her work cut out. Me, I was still in highschool, so my parents wanted me to focus on school rather than on earning money.

Anyways, it was even rare for us to eat dinner together at home. My father works from very early to very late. He comes home at about 2AM six days a week. He usually eats out with his other coworkers before coming home. My mother worked somewhat similar hours. She worked from dawn to late evening. She usually eats take-out from restaurants in the office. My sister and I often eat by ourselves at home but because she works and earns her own money, she likes to go out and eat with her friends and coworkers. And that leaves me, all by myself. Sometimes on Sundays, we all go out to get lunch together but again, everyone is so busy. Sometimes my dad and/or mom gets a call and they head somewhere which I assume is work. Eun Sang sometimes makes plans with friends so she wouldn't stick around. As for me, I guess as you can tell, I'm always free.

After a while, I got use to it. My parents are very loving. Whenever they get the chance to, they will always try to make some plans for a fun family getaway. Hence, our summer trip to South Korea. And honestly, now, thinking back.. I'm grateful for them. I'm grateful that they're always trying to maintain a happy healthy family despite their busy work life. Without them, I wouldn't have been able to maintain any sort of relationship when things got hard and stressful.

So here I was, wearing a pastel blue dress with a white cardigan. Eun Sang had insisted I wear a brown waist belt to give the dress "some style". So I did. I wore some white sandals, grabbed my purse and left for the lobby. Eun Sang had taken over the room once again to put on her face. And by that, I mean her makeup and all her other unspoken glories. I sat on one of the many seats they had in the lobby to wait for everyone. I pulled my phone out of my purse to play one of the many games I had on there. I decided to play Demon Destruction, which is the same game Baekhyun also knew. Ever since I had met him again, I haven't really played. However, as soon as I had started it, I saw my parents and sister come out of the elevator. I sighed and closed my phone and put it back into my purse.

"Ready to go?" my father asked us all

"Ready!" my mother cheered. Oh yeah, she has a lot of aegyo.

Eun Sang and I internally barfed at our parents lovey dovey actions. But deep in both of our hearts, we both wished we would find a man who would love us as much as our father loved our mom.

My parents wouldn't tell us the restaurant we would be eating in. They just promised that the food there was amazing and we would have to try it before leaving. Delicious food? You know I'll be there for it.

We finally arrived to the restaurant and settled in. We sat by the windows because my parents wanted to look outside as we ate. They were so full of energy and life even though they were much older than me. I looked out the window and my mind drifted away. I thought about having to go back to school, which I enjoyed but it can get so boring. Then it drifted to seeing my friends, who I have missed but can get overwelming at times. Then my mind drifted off to the one person that I didn't want to think about. I tried thinking about the cons.. but I couldn't. Being with Baekhyun was almost like being in heaven. Everything felt nice and just blissful.

I shook my head. No. I couldn't continue thinking about Baekhyun like that because if I had continued, I would've..perhaps...admitted to have fallen for him. Which I cannot afford at this moment. Baekhyun? As something more as a friend? It sounded weird.. but nice..

I smacked my cheeks and rapidly shook my head once again. I had to stop. My mind was completly losing it. I looked up and my parents gave me a worried look. Eun Sang gave me a weird face. My face turned red and I muttered an apology.

"Honey, are you feeling alright?" my mother asked

"I'm fine" I said

"If you don't feel well, we can go back to the hotel and order take-out" my father said

"No! It's okay. We've been looking foward to this. I'm fine really" I said

Eun Sang patted my back "You sure? Your face is all red"

I shuffled away from her "I'm just feeling really hot, that's all" 

She shrugged and looked away. I sighed and rested my chin on my hand. My mind had wandered back to him.

After what felt like years, someone came to our table to take our order. I knew my parents and Eun Sang would take care of all the ordering because I literally ate anything. My eyes were locked on a couple outside the window who were window shopping. They looked happy and close. I wondered if I would ever meet someone to share my feelings with too.

"Eun Mi?" a voice called out

I turned around to the call of my name. Holy moly, it was Baekhyun. It had to be a dream.

"B-Baekhyun?" I stuttered

My parents looked at each other. Eun Sang looked at me and looked back at him and gasped. I blinked my eyes and pinched myself under the table. Why was he here?

"What are you doing here?" I asked

"My friend was out sick today so he asked if I could take over his shift and the shop is closed today so I thought I could help out"

I nodded slowly. Of all the restaurants we could've went to.. out of the thousands and thousands of restaurants in Seoul, we chose the one Baekhyun would be in. Small world perhaps? Or maybe fate?

"Uhh.. Eun Mi, is this your friend?" my mother asked

"Oh!" I yelped "Sorry, this is Byun Baekhyun" Baekhyun smiled and gave a polite bow. "And these are my parents and my sister" 

My parents smiled back. "How did you two meet?"

Baekhyun opened his mouth but I quickly interrupted him "Oh it's a long story. Can we just order? I'm starving"

I looked at Baekhyun's reaction and my heart sank. His eyes gave a hint of sadness. Why did he look so disappointed and hurt? Could it have been what I had said? Or.. hadn't said?

"So what will you have today?" Baekhyun looked back up with a smile. But somewhere within that smile, I didn't sense the same Baekhyun.

"Hmmm.. what do you reccommend, Baekhyun?" my father asked

"I highly reccommend the seafood stew. It's the restaurant's best dish"

"Yes, we'll take that, two rolls of beef kimbap and two orders of jjajangmyeon" my father said. Baekhyun swiftly wrote the orders down and bowed. "I'll bring the food out once it's ready" 

He turned away without looking back which made me feel nervous. Something happened. And I had a bad feeling it was because of me.