The Best Tofu

Our Summer Love Story [Please Read Last Chapter]

He brought me to those hidden gems you see in movies about Seoul. There were lights and music. The smell of the most mouth watering food filled the streets. Groups of young boys danced in the streets. It was overwhelming yet I didn’t mind. Baekhyun led me to the places I would eventually call my second home.

 

“So uh.. Eun Mi.. how do you like it here in South Korea so far?” Baekhyun asked over the pumping music from a club

 

“Hm.. I like it but I like home better”

 

He stayed quiet “Seoul has a lot of things you know. There’s so much to do in such a small area. You can do a whole day worth of fun within one block”

 

I nodded “Yeah, I can tell”

 

We got distracted with these really talented b-boy dancers. Fortunately, we were in the front, so I didn’t have have to jump to watch. It was a group of 5 boys. I was mesmerized with the different dance moves that they all did. My eyes were glued on them. They were so skillful. I was impressed. I’m not close minded but I always assumed American b-boys were a lot more talented but boy, did these Korean guys prove me wrong. The dance ended and the boys bowed politely. Everyone around clapped and soon went on with whatever they were doing.

 

“That was so cool” I told Baekhyun

 

He scoffed “Yeah, I mean they can dance but a lot of people can dance too”

 

I raised my eyebrow “Why are you being so mean?”

 

“I’m not. I’m just saying, there’s people with way more talent out there”

 

I shrugged “Well, I think they were great”

 

One of the dancers perked up and looked over at us. I blinked and stared at him. He gave me a shy smile and packed up the rest of the equipment.

 

“What should we do next, oppa?”

 

Baekhyun coughed lightly “Uh..”

 

“Annyeonghaseyo…” a soft voice greeted

 

We looked over and it was the same boy from before

 

I bowed lightly. Baekhyun just stared. Rude.

 

“I heard what you said earlier and I wanted to thank you..” he nervously said

 

I smiled “No, thank you. You were great!”

 

He blushed “Thank you for your compliment.. noona”

 

I blinked “N-Noona?”

 

Baekhyun stiffened “Hey-”

 

“Well yeah, you’re older right?” he asked

 

“I guess.. but..”

 

“Here” he handed me his phone. “If you can, please put in your contact information and maybe we can get to know each other better”

 

I was shocked. For several reasons. What is with this country that I get hit on so much? I’m flattered but seriously. First it was this Sehun guy and now this? Wow, my friends back home would not even believe me. And what is with this kid anyways? I’m not the most mannered person but boy, is he bold for asking an older girl for her number.

 

I coughed lightly “I’m sor-”

 

“No” Baekhyun curtly stated

 

The boy and I looked at him “E-Excuse me?” he asked

 

“No. She will not give you her contact information. And you’re younger so respect your elders. Kids these days” he murmured the last part.

 

"Well, are you two going out?" the boy asked

 

“No” I said, almost instantly. That made me want to dig a hole in the ground. Did I answer too quickly? I mean we aren’t a couple and this isn’t really considered a date.. right?

 

“Well, then I can do this then. Is there a law that states that I can’t ask for an older girl’s number, hyung?” he mocked the last phrase. Baekhyun twitched.

 

I sighed “Look, sorry. I’m not giving you any of my contact information. It’s not you, it’s me” Wow, didn’t think I would use that saying in this situation. “And you’re right. There is no law that says you can’t hit on older people but you didn’t have to be rude to my oppa”

 

“O-Oppa?”

 

Baekhyun cracked a tiny smile. Yeah, I’m defending him. He’s my friend, I guess.

 

“Yeah, so please continue with your good work and sorry, I don’t have time to get to know you”

 

The boy turned red in embarrassment. “Okay.. sorry to bother you two”

 

I smiled “It's okay.. I enjoye dyour show. Fighting!”

 

He smiled back “Fighting!”

 

Baekhyun nodded at him and the boy nodded back. Yay, I broke up this awkward situation all by myself. Self high-five.

 

Baekhyun and I decided to eat some snacks from food stalls.

 

“Have you ever tried fried tofu on the street?” he asked

 

I hesitated “Well, not from the vendors. I tried them in restaurants”

 

He laughed “Yeah, I bet you liked them”

 

I nodded “Yeah”

 

“Well this ahjussi makes the best fried tofu. I guarantee it”

 

“And if he doesn’t?”

 

Baekhyun bit his lip and thought “If you don’t agree with me, I’ll grant you a wish. But if you admit that it is in fact delicious and the best fried tofu ever, you owe me a wish”

 

I laughed “Is this some Korean drama?”

 

Baekhyun frowned “No, I’m serious. And no lying too”

 

“I won’t”

 

We got one order of fried tofu. Baekhyun took a stick and jabbed it in the hot tofu. He lightly blew on it and stuck it in front of my face. I looked at him

 

“I can do it myself, you know”

 

“I know.. But I thought it’d be easier for me to do it”

 

I smirked “Whatever you say” I said in English. He looked at me funny

 

I took a bite of the tofu and oh my goodness, this kid was right. The tofu had a crunchy outside with the softest inside. It didn’t even feel like tofu. It literally melted in my mouth. I had to keep myself from groaning. This was amazing. I chewed the tofu and swallowed.

 

“Fine. What’s your wish?”


It’s funny how tofu was a big part of our relationship and our story. I would have never expected this dull soy food would contain so many memories. It brings happy yet sad thoughts. And it’s crazy how we have gotten so close. It’s almost like we had been friends for years. It wasn’t awkward at all with Baekhyun. He took care of me when we first went out like this. He watched over me. Like he always did when we went out.