[!] Final Chapter

Our Summer Love Story [Please Read Last Chapter]

To those of you that commented and wished for the ending as well as to the lovely subscribers that have supported me from the beginning, this is for you guys!

I noticed that I gained some new subbies so I wanted to give you guys a BIG thank you for choosing to do so. I hope you guys have read the previous chapter that explains my departure from AFF as a writer because this story will not go on. This chapter is soley to explain the ending and what I had intended to do and write. This will NOT be a typical final/last chapter. I will be explaining the story and development I had intened. If you don't want to read through everything, I will provide a small bullet point summarizing the bigger things at the END of the story so feel free to skip everything and go straight to the end, but if you want to know exactly what happens and why this and that happened, grab some snacks and continue reading!

Without further ado, let's get on with the ending!

Thank you all for your support and your kind comments!


To be quite honest, I didn't really think too far ahead on the whole Eun Mi leaving S. Korea and how Baekhyun and her relationship would develop after her departure. But I somehow (?) made it work.

The last written chapter titled "Friendship" was kind of like the final straw for me? I told myself to not BS this story and yet, that chapter was kind of like a filler chapter. I had never intended to write about Eun Mi's friends. I had the urge to write and I wanted to update the fic so I kind of conjured up something and it led to the "Friendship" chapter which to be quite honest, I am not proud of.

---

Anyways, I hadn't thought of writing a prologue for this fic until I was over 15 chapters deep into the story but I felt like having some sort of future scene would be dramatic and nice so I added it in as chapter 17, titled "The Breakup". Here, it's about 3 years AFTER they first got together and we all know that they broke up. In that chapter, I had explained that I didn't want to spoil who broke up with who and to be quite honest, I wasn't 100% too sure myself. I had an idea for who to break up with who but I wasn't completely sure if I wanted to go that route. But after considering it for a while, I ultimately decided for Eun Mi to break up with Baekhyun (danggg)

Now the breakup chapter had SO many foreshadowing details but of course, you as the reader, would not know of it until the ending or as the story develops. Now in that chapter I wrote:

It was hard. For two teenagers to grasp the idea of what love is. There had to be sacrifices; selfless acts one would do for the other so that the other can be happy even if it meant that you weren't. There had to be communication. They both had to set aside time for one another. They both knew the time difference was a big challenge but they always believed that their love for each other would overcome it. That their love would overcome anything. And last, there has to be trust. Without trust, the relationship would die.

Now, I emphasized three words in this short paragraph: sacrifice (1), communication (2), and trust (3). I sort of went into the communication aspect but didn't get too in depth with it. I wrote in one of the previous chapters that Baekhyun and Eun Mi decided to plan this schedule where they could talk to each other because of their time difference. I had planned after a year or a year and a half, Baekhyun and Eun Mi would have some ups and downs (as many relationships do) and would sort of not stick to the schedule? This would break one of what there had to be in love which is communication (2).

But before you all question why, I should mention that Baekhyun's dream was to be a singer. I intended for him to actually be scouted by a manager or a scouter (not particularly S.M Entertainment because I didn't want to include EXO as a kpop group in the story). Because he was scouted by someone, he had to dedicate time and energy to practice for this no name agency hence why HE couldn't make it to accept Eun Mi's calls. 

However, Eun Mi also had her priorities too. Eun Mi was 17 years old when she met Baekhyun so that means she was 17 when they got together. Now if they broke up after 3 years that means she was 20 years old when they ended things. Baekhyun will be the same since they are the same age in my story. Well, because Eun Mi was 20 when she and Baekhyun broke up, she was about 2 years into college. Baekhyun decided to be a singer and so we would ask, what would Eun Mi major in, or what were her life goals? Well, I actually decided to make Eun Mi a potential Korean-English teacher, teaching in Korea. There are a lot of programs here in the U.S that allow students to teach English in Korea so I decided Eun Mi would choose that path because she found a passion in education as well as the chance to be with Baekhyun. So this leaves us with 1 year as long distance (17 years old to 18 years old) and a year together in S.Korea (18 years old to 19 years old). I also wrote in the breakup chapter that they were happy together for about 2 years but it started to go downhill from there. I'll explain why: Baekhyun is constantly busy with his practices so he doensn't have much time to go on regular dates with Eun Mi. Eun Mi is in college and so she is working hard to study and perhaps even have a part-time job as well. I also thought of maybe adding an innocent person into this story as a minor character, I was thinking Jackson of GOT7, as a new friend for Eun Mi. I was planning on making Jackson and Eun Mi good friends because they were in the same Korean-English program so they would often study together or hang out with each other in general. Of course, I wouldn't make Jackson fall for Eun Mi. I did not have intentions of making a love triangle whatsoever. However, Baekhyun disliked the fact that Jackson was getting close to Eun Mi. He didn't like the fact that while he was stuck practicing for hours, Eun Mi was out hanging out with someone else. This made him uncomfortable and jealous even though he didn't have to be. This would break trust (3).

Now, Baekhyun is constantly practicing and he could not help it because this was his dream and as many of us knows it, many idols have to go through rigorous practice to debut. I wasnt sure whether or not I want Baekhyun to be a solo idol or not, but it isn't too important, to be honest. So because he was always practicing, he couldn't help but miss out on one of their big events like an anniversary or a birthday. Eun Mi is dissapointed but understands that Baekhyun wanted to be there but couldn't. But let's just think for a moment: if your boyfriend or girlfriend is constantly missing out on the big events or even the little events, wouldn't you feel disappointed and eventually feel like the relationship is falling apart if you two can't even get together anymore? This would break sacrifice (1).

So in these 3 parts which would've be broken up into 3 different chapters, Baekhyun and Eun Mi have broken the three parts of what makes "love" or what makes a relationship work. Yes, I know there is more but I tried to simplify it into 3 parts. These three broken parts serve as a big part of the story and how their relationship develops. 

----

Now, the umbrella. The umbrella served as a big symbol of their first meeting and symbolized their love. In the breakup chapter, I wrote that Baekhyun had visited Eun Mi in the States 5 months into their relationship. This would've been a whole thing but I was going to write some fluff here and there and just some dates and other cute things so it's not really important now. I also wrote that Baekhyun was sure that he took the umbrella back from Eun Mi when he went back to S.Korea but let's not forget that Eun Mi chose to live and teach in S.Korea so I had sort of intended them to live together? Like rent a small apartment with each other. So when two people live together, their belongings may get mixed up with one another so there is a big possibility that the umbrella fell back into Eun Mi's hands. 

Also, the whole tofu ordeal lol. Thinking back on this, it's kind of embarassing to have written about tofu but I decided that the tofu would symbolize somthing special in their relationship. I had this idea that whenever they fought with each other, whether it be about jealousy or not spending time together, the person that wanted to make up first would cook up some tofu as a sign that they were sorry (isn't that cute? lol). So in a sense, it's kind of like their inside thing hence why it was important to them.

---

I also wrote in the breakup chapter that Baekhyun was always traveling and that is because he did make it as a singer. Whether or not he is an idol, it's not too important because I only intended for him to make it up towards the end of their relationship so it wouldn't have been a big deal in the whole development part of the story. 

---

I know in my forewords that I wrote about a first love ending and asking whether or not you would take it. I also tried to make it clear that Baekhyun and Eun Mi's relationship would not last and that they would break up but it was a matter of how they broke up- hence this story. 

So, I kind of wanted to make a surprise chapter after the final chapter, like a one shot that tells a story of them meeting again after their break up and how they will deal with it. So I actually decided (just now) that I will actually write one so actually this isn't the FINAL FINAL chapter I guess, but like the final chapter of explaining. Lol sorry for all of this confusion but I feel like I owe it to this story to put one more chapter in so please understand :)


Okay, so that's about everything.. I believe? I think I got to explain everything that I wanted to really explain BUT if you have ANY questions or if you are confused with some parts then feel free to comment and I will personally reply to you. If you're also curious about something and you see someone else ask, feel free to look in the replies section of the comment and I will try my best to explain it thoroughly. 

Here's the bullet points that explains the whole thing:

  • There were three parts that Baekhyun and Eun Mi broke that made up what love is: sacrifice, communication and trust (this is in the Middle Prologue aka "The Breakup" chapter. Sacrifice was broken by missing out on important events by at least one of them. Communication was broken when at least one of them weren;t able to stick to their calling schedule or hadn't had the time to talk. Trust was broken when Baekhyun thought Eun Mi was starting to "cheat" on him with a new person from her school. 
  • Eun Mi decided to teach English in S.Korea so she moves there and eventually moves in with Baekhyun.
  • Eun Mi was the one that broke up with Baekhyun
  • Baekhyun and Eun Mi would cook tofu for each other when they wantd to say sorry whenever they fought. It was their little way fo saying sorry or calling it a truce.
  • The umbrella falls back into Eun Mi's hands because they lived together when she moved to S.Korea to teach there.
  • Baekhyun ultimately does make it to become a singer.

---

So that is pretty much everything and again, feel free to comment below if you have any other questions! There will be a one-shot after this chapter that is a written chapter so it is NOT an explanation. The next chapter will be a one shot of Baekhyun and Eun Mi meeting each other again 3 years after their breakup. I'll look forward to seeing you guys there!

So I wanted to thank you all for reading this story and I will forever be grateful for this lovely community filled with support. Thank you for all those that subscribed and have given such great support to me and for encouraging me to write once again. 

Thank you! Love you guys :)