Let's Enjoy The Last Day

Our Summer Love Story [Please Read Last Chapter]

Today was it. My last day. I would leave tomorrow morning and go back home where I'd most likely be sleeping and playing video games. I would go back to my normal routine which consisted of waking up in the afternoon, eating, playing video games for several hours, eating again and playing video games until I get sleepy. My friends say that it'll kill me. I believe them. It's a bad habit but it's been going on for so long that I just stopped caring all together. And although part of me couldn't wait to go back and do it for another couple of days before school, the bigger part of me wished the summer wouldn't have to end. I childishly wished that time could go back and I could at least have enjoyed one more week, even one more day with Baekhyun. My heart ached last night, knowing today was the last day I would see him. 

Now that I knew that I had grown to like him.. to call him my crush, I wanted to spend every waking minute with him. I wanted to get to know him even better than I already do. The two weeks that I've known him, we've learned so much about each other. I knew his favorite color, his fears, his childhood memories and his dreams in life. To this day, I find it almost cute as to how I didn't know Baekhyun had started to develop feelings for me too. It was almost too obvious. But at that time, when we were together, nothing mattered but being together. At that time, I didn't care whether or not I would call him my boyfriend or he would call me his girlfriend- no, what was important was that we were able to spend time together.

And we did the most childish things. 

Once, when the day was so hot, and I swore breathing was too hard, Baekhyun and I were walking through a park. It was so hot, my thighs are sweating a little and I had to tie my hair up so any type of wind that may have blown would cool my neck down. Baekhyun was fanning himself with his hand but it caused him to sweat even more so he had stopped. We had just finished watching a movie so we were cool but now that we were outside at noon- the time when the sun is hottest- we were sweating. As we were walking through the park, there was a big water fountain. We saw many children playing in it, jumping around, splashing each other and some just sat under the pumping water to cool their whole body down. I looked at Baekhyun and he looked at me. Our smile grew bigger and we both knew what we wanted to do. We quickly ran up to the fountain. I took off my sandals and put my bag down. Baekhyun also took off his shoes and placed it next to mine. We ran into the water and laughed. The cold water was so refreshing and all I remember was laughing and getting water splashed onto my face. I splashed Baekhyun and that was how we started a water fight. Some kids had joined us and somehow, we had split into two teams; Baekhyun and I being the leaders of those two teams. After about an hour of that water fight, we concluded that my team had won. The kids' parents laughed to themselves and enjoyed how well we played with their children. Eventually, we had to stop and leave. As soon as we left the water, my body felt too cold- opposite of what I had felt a few hours ago. I wrapped my arm around my body but it didn't help. My clothes were all wet and I wondered if it was ever a good idea to go in the water in the first place. Baekhyun had saw me shivering and frowned. 

"You're cold" he stated

"N-Not r-really.." I shivered "Okay, m-maybe a l-little" I mumbled

Baekhyun wrapped his arms around me and I blushed. We stayed like that for several minutes and I definietly felt my body temperature rising. I didn't feel cold anymore and instead, I felt hot. My face was probably all red and the silence was killing me. Neither of us said a word. I felt Baekhyun's chest moving and his breath tickled my ear.

"Do you feel a little better?" he asked. I nodded.

"I'll be right back. Stay right here, okay?" 

I nodded again. Baekhyun ran off in some direction and I chose to sit on a bench by myself. I touched my face and realized that it was hot. Just minutes before, I thought I couldn't even feel my fingers. That was the effect of Byun Baekhyun.

After several minutes, Baekhyun came back with a bag in this hand. He put the bag in front of my face.

"For you" he said

"What is it?" I asked as I took the bag.

"Something to fix your problem"

I opened the bag up and saw a knitted cardigan. I pulled it out of the bag and frowned.

"Why did you buy one? I could've just it up and waited until I changed" I said

"It was the only solution. Don't scold me now. Just wear it" he said.

I hesitantly put it on and instantly felt warm again. Baekhyun was very thoughtful and I loved him for that. He was very observant and did almost anything to make someone feel better. Whether it was something small like acting like a goof ball when you're sad or something big like always being there when you need him, Baekhyun was the person to call for happiness.

And to this day, even some years later, I still wear the cardigan. And although it's old and "out of style", I wear it mainly because of Baekhyun. It's a reminder for me that there was someone out there who loved me just as much as I loved him.

And now that I had only one day left with him, I was sort of in a denial state. I didn't want to believe that in 24 hours, I would be boarding a plane back home. But I felt like this place was more home than my home in LA. I realized later that home was wherever Baekhyun was. 

Eun Sang was already packing up her souvenirs and newly bought clothes into her luggage. She was struggling and had already made a pile of things to go into my suitcase because she knew everything wouldn't fit in hers. I, on the other hand, was laying on the bed and checking my phone. Baekhyun had promised me that he was getting off work at 1 PM and we would hang out after but it was already 2 PM and I hadn't gotten a message from him yet. 

I sighed and sprawled over my bed.

At about 3 PM, my phone chirped and I knew it was from Baekhyun. I quickly opened the message 

Baekhyun Oppa: Sorry for being late! There was a sudden rush of people coming in and stupid Chanyeol was late and he couldn't have handled it himself so I stayed a bit to help out

You: It's okay. I was packing up anyways.

Baekhyun Oppa: Why are you in such a hurry to leave me?

You: Because you smell bad

Baekhyun Oppa: ( ◞᷄દ◟᷅ ) why are you so mean to me?

I laughed. Where did he even find such a face?

You: You should hurry up and shower before meeting me. 

Baekhyun Oppa: I swear I don't smell bad! If anything, after I sweat, I smell even better

You: That's hard to believe

Baekhyun Oppa: Oh yeah? Come down to the lobby and find out for yourself.

I grinned and headed out the door.

Baekhyun was sitting down at one of the lounge chairs. He stood up when he saw me and smiled.

"Ready to go?" he asked

I nodded "I'm starving because of you"

He laughed "Well let's fill your tummy with food then, okay?"

I nodded "Okay"

Baekhyun had led me to a restaurant quite far from where we would usually hang out. We had to take a taxi and the ride was about 20 minutes. 

"So where exactly are you taking me?" I asked

"Somewhere reaalllyy good. Trust me" he said

I rolled my eyes "What if you're kidnapping me and selling me off in the black market?"

Baekhyun frowned "No one would want to buy you. I already checked"

I gave him a look and tried to hold in my laughter. The driver smiled as well. 

Finally, we had arrived at the restaurant. It was quite small and it was quiet around the neighborhood. It was like someone placed a restaurant in the middle of a residental area. However, as soon as we stepped in, I was shocked.

The decor inside was amazing. It was so cozy and warm. Every detail of the inside was thought out. There were little lanterns hanging off the ceiling that served as dim lights. Each table had a small candle and flowers. There were some people eating inside and although it was small, you couldn't hear their conversation.

"How many people?" the hostess asked

"I have reservations under the name Byun Baekhyun" Baekhyun said

The hostess led us to our table which was right next to the window. 

"How do you like this place?" Baekhyun asked

"I like it.." I said as I looked around. Everything felt so perfect and calming.

"This place is very popular for teenagers so I thought our last meal together should be somewhere like this" he laughed

"Thanks, I really like this place" 

He smiled. And I gave him a smile in return.

"Hello, my name is Kris and I will be your server for tonight. Here are our menus. We have a couple special which includes one appetizer, two en·trée of your choice and one dessert" he said

Baekhyun looked at me and I gave him a nod. It wasn't awkward for us to order a couple's special because we had already ordered a couple special at another place. It was a good deal and we took advantage of it.

"We'll take the kimchi infused pork belly appetizer, the steak en·trée for me.." Baekhyun started

"And spaghetti and meatballs en·trée for me as well as the hot cocoa dessert for the two of us" I said. We closed our menus and handed them back to Kris.

"Your food will be out shortly" Kris bowed before leaving

We knew each others likes and dislikes when it came to food. Baekhyun knew I liked kimchi and pork belly was the best opart of the pig. I knew that Baekhyun's favorite drink when he was cold was hot chocolate.

After talking for several minutes, our appetizer came. And it looked amazing. The pork belly had a good layer of fat for the kimchi flavor to infuse in.

Baekhyun and I took a piece each and when we both ate it, we looked at each other

"Wow" we both said. And we weren't kidding. You could definitely taste the kimchi flavor in the pork belly, but the kimchi didn't overpower the natural taste of the pork. The pork belly was cooked perfectly and the fat helped it melt altogether in your mouth. 

Soon after, our en·trées had arrived. Baekhyun's steak looked amazing. he had a side of mashed potatoes wth herbs in it. My spaghetti and meatballs looked amazing and although I've had it many times back home, it looked better and prettier. 

Baekhyun and I shared parts of our food, letting each other try our dishes. The whole time, we kept laughing and talking as if we had all the time in the world. 

Baekhyun put a piece of spaghetti onto his upper lip and pretended to be Salvador Dalí, with his long thin mustache. We laughed together and he his upper lip to get the strand of spaghetti. However, he hadn't notice that he had some sauce left on his upper lip. I grabbed my napkin and wiped it off

"Aiigoo, Byun Baekhyun-sshi, I have to take care of you like I'm your mother" I said we I finished wiping his lip.

Soon, the dessert came and Baekhyun's eyes immediately lit up. The hot cocoa dessert had two chocolate straws sticking out of the warm whip cream. Under the whip cream was the hot chocolate and under that was a thick layer of cake. 

"You try it first" he said

I shook my head "You try it first. You like hot chocolate"

He smiled "Let's try it together". And then, we did another cliché thing- we both drank out of the choclate straws together and finished it quiet fast. The cake on the bottom absorbed some of the hotchoclate and the whipe cream was still there, so taking the spoon, we dug into the cake. It was moist and surprisingly not soggy. The cake had soaked some of the hot chocolate so the cake tasted very chocolate-y. We finished the dessert by eating our straws. I felt very full and happy that I got to spend my last day in Korea with a person I truly cared about at a place I thoroughly enjoy.  

The bill came and Baekhyun quickly gave Kris his card. I couldn't even fight him on it and felt disappointed. I had wanted to pay for tonight's dinner as a thank you gift for him.

"Why did you pay?" I grumbled

"A man should pay" he said

"That's what people say in the past. Nowadays, girls can pay for dinner too" I said

"Just enjoy it. Oppa paid for dinner" he grinned. 

I gave him a face but I knew he knew that I was grateful.

After eating, we headed back to where I was most familiar with in Seoul. We went back to the place where we first went out. That was a time where I decided to go out of my comfort zone with people. And it was a good decision.

We walked around the area and saw the same group of boys dancing. It brought me back to the time when Baekhyun had defended me and argued with the young boy about being "rude". How did I not know he was jealous?

We kept walking around and smelled a familiar scent. It was the fried tofu Baekhyun made me try. The same tofu that led us up to where we were now. Although I was full, I couldn't just walk by the stand and not get it. It was important to me. I bought an order of it and Baekhyun had whined that he was too full. I didn't listen to him and stuck a piece in his mouth. He chewed it and quietly asked for another piece. He too, felt that the tofu represented something bigger than food.

And as the day got darker and the night was coming to a close, Baekhyun had walked me back to the hotel. It reminded me of the time when I thought I would never see Baekhyun again. I had thought that hanging out with him would be a one time thing and I would never see him again. But obviously, I was wrong. I had hung out with him so many times, and consequently have gotten to know one of the best people in my life. 

"So, that's the end of our adventures" he said

I frowned. Why did he have to say it like that?

"But we'll still keep in touch right?" he asked

I nodded "Of course"

"Remember to bring a sweater out just in case you get cold and never talk to strangers or get into big white vans-"

I laughed "I know.. I know. I'll be..okay. I'll be okay" 

I had to say it twice to reassure that I will be okay. I had been okay before Baekhyun had entered my life and I'll be okay when I won't be able to see him. I had to be okay for the both of us.

Baekhyun had enveloped me in a hug. He rested his cheek on top of my head and wrapped his arms around my neck and shoulder. It was similar to the first time he hugged me, when we hadn't seen each other for a while, but it felt different. The first time was a hug of missing someone. This hug, was definietly a goodbbye hug. My throat started to ache and I knew that if this went any longer, I would cry. But I didn't care. I wrapped my arms around Baekhyun's waist and we enjoyed each other's presence. 

"I'll miss you, Eun Mi" he said

"Me too" I replied

Finally, Baekhyun let go of me and stared at me 

"You promise you'll still talk to me? You won't leave me right?" he asked

"I won't leave you" I said. And I truly meant it.

Baekhyun smiled "Then, I'll see you"

I nodded "See you.."

I walked to the elevator and looked back before entering. Baekhyun waved goodbye and I waved back. I entered the elevator and pressed the 23rd floor button.

That should've been it. That should've been the last time I would see Baekhyun in person. We would've probably continued to talk through KaKao up until school starts. There, we would most likely talk less frequently because of school work. All together, we should have stopped talking by 3 months.

But things don't always go according to what you think. Nor does it go according to your plan. What people call "fate" and "destiny", it was meant to be that Baekhyun and I would see each other again. 


A/N: And there you have it, the LAST day in Seoul, South Korea. Now we can sort of get into the angst-y part of this story. And a huge thank you all for subscribing and reading ^_^