Taking Chances

Our Summer Love Story [Please Read Last Chapter]

Eun Mi had packed her bags and moved to a different apartment. Baekhyun stayed in their home. He was constantly reminded of all their happy and painful memories. He remembered their first piece of furniture that they bought together. He remembered the nights where they would cuddle with each other on the couch and watch a movie. He remembered all the attempts and failures of cooking together in the kitchen and how he almost burned her birthday cake.

He remembered it all.

Eun Mi walked into her new apartment and wondered if her new apartment would ever feel like the home she built with Baekhyun. She doubted it but gave a light sigh. It was nearing dinner time and she glanced over her new kitchen. It was bigger than the kitchen she had in her old place with Baekhyun so she thought maybe that's why it looked so empty but she knew that wasn't why.

She was the one that broke up with Baekhyun, even though she knew that it would've come eventually. She sighed again and sat on her new couch. She bought completely new furniture because she didn't want to be reminded of all their memories. She was scared that she would call him and try to get back together with him.. and she knew it would only cause more damage.

She opened her phone and saw her lock screen: a picture of them together on their second year anniversary. They went to Lotte World because they believed that spending their happy moments playing around like kids were the best moments. She gave a small smile and Baekhyun's cheek with her thumb. He gave her a look that defined love and she had the happiest smile. She didn't think that she was capable of being so happy but she found that happiness in Baekhyun.

---

It's been three years since Eun Mi and Baekhyun have seen each other. It's been 3 years since they have broken up. 

She was now a full-time English teacher teaching in a public elementary school. She loved her students and was very popular among the other teachers there. She had dated once after her breakup with Baekhyun with another teacher in her old school. She thought she would find love again through him but deep down she knew she would never be as happy with anyone other than Baekhyun but she was optimistic; she had to try.

His name was Kim Joo Hyuk and he was a math teacher. He loved traveling and trying new things. On one of their dates, they went bungee jumping. Eun Mi noticed that she would try new things when it came to Joo Hyuk but she didn't feel love. So they broke up after a year. Joo Hyuk sincerely cared for Eun Mi and after their breakup, they remained friends. She knew he still loved her in a way that she could not reciprocate so she stopped contacting him. Eventually, so did he. 

Baekhyun made it as a singer and traveled to many places for his concerts. He had a good fanbase and was well liked to the public. Unlike Eun Mi, he was too busy touring to date so he wasn't able to meet anyone. He had many female fans that would've wanted to date him instantly but he wasn't looking for that. 

In all his concerts and shows, he would look out into the crowd and imagine Eun Mi standing there, smiling and singing along. He wished she was there for him like she had promised but he knew that it was also his fault that they weren't together.

For three years, he kept replaying their breakup. He kept asking himself, what if he had been more caring? Or loving? Or if he gave up his dream so that he could be there for her?

But he knew that even if he did all of that, she still wouldn't be happy. And neither would he.

She made him promise her that he would become a singer no matter what. And he kept that promise. He made her promise that she would see his shows. But she couldn't keep it because they broke up.

He wished she was there at every show he had. He wished that she was there backstage to give him a hug or a kiss and congratulate him for a wonderful show- but she wasn't. He didn't blame her though, he knew that for every time she missed his events, he had missed hers. He missed their third year anniversary. He missed her 20th birthday. He missed his own birthday that he promised to spend with her. He missed out on her first day of work and missed out on countless dates he promised to go with her. So no, he didn't blame her. He blamed himself.

"Another good show, oppa!" a girl squealed. He was at the VIP fan signing event after his concert.

"Thank you for coming out tonight and supporting me" he smiled

"Oppa, I really love your voice! I listen to your songs everyday!" the fan said

Baekhyun smiled. Eun Mi did the same. He would write countless songs and recorded it for her. She played them everyday and played them every chance she got. She listened to them when she was studying, when she was cooking and sang along when she showered.

"Thank you oppa! Can I take a picture with you?!" 

Baekhyun nodded and took a picture with his fans. This was his life now.

---

"Eun Mi ah" a fellow teacher called out

Eun Mi snapped out of her daydream.

"Yes, Chae Rin?"

"We're all going out today for a work dinner and were wondering if you can go"

Eun Mi hesitated. She didn't like work dinners. They always drank and she was always responsible for driving her drunk coworkers home. She hated the taste of alcohol and refused to drink it, so she became their designated driver.

"I'm not sure.." Eun Mi answered

"You haven't come to the last few dinners! It'll be fun! I won't drink" Chae Rin said

Eun Mi bit her lip. Chae Rin was known to be a heavy drinker among all the women staff. She looked very innocent and well collected but once alcohol hits her, she was a different person. Eun Mi knew Chae Rin was going to drink. Chae Rin and her had worked together before so they became good friends.

"I.. don't think so. Sorry" Eun Mi said

Chae Rin pouted "Eun Mi.. you need to learn how to let loose. Just one night. Tonight. I won't make you go next time, I promise"

Eun Mi bit her lip. She didn't want to go but felt bad that she missed out on the staff dinners. She learned that it was very important in Korean culture so she felt bad whenever she made excuses.

"Okay.. I'll go.. but please don't drink so much tonight. You made a mess in my car that time before"

Chae Rin smiled "Okay okay I promise"

Eun Mi shook her head. She knew she was going to have to clean after her.

---

Baekhyun was doing sound check in a local restaurant that he loved going to. He remembered bringing Eun Mi there many times before and he would always look over to their table whenever he was invited to play. 

"Thank you for playing tonight, Baekhyun" the owner said

Baekhyun shook his head "No, you know how I love your restaurant, ahjusshi"

The owner smiled "Yes, I remember you and Eun Mi would come here a lot to eat"

Baekhyun gave him a small grin

"Ah.. sorry" the owner said

Baekhyun shoook his head "It's fine. It's been three years"

The owner smiled "Have you met someone new recently?"

Baekhyun laughed "I haven't had the time, ahjusshi"

The owner took out his phone. He showed Baekhyun a picture of a beautiful girl.

"This is my neice. She's a year younger than you. If you want, I can set a meeting for you two"

Baekhyun blushed "A-Ahjusshi! I haven't dated for 3 years, I can't!"

"Silly! I'll set you two up! She's smart and pretty! Many want her but I'm not willing to let my only neice go out with a stranger, so I'm setting her up with you, okay?"

Baekhyun smiled and nodded. The owner smiled and walked away. Baekhyun sighed. He didn't want to meet anyone. Even though it's been three years, he still remembered Eun Mi and is still not ready for a new relationship.

Baekhyun sighed and continued to set up for the show tonight.

---

Eun Mi packed her bag and was ready to leave for the staff dinner. Chae Rin came to Eun Mi's classroom and sat in her chair. 

"I think we're going to a barbeque place tonight" Chae Rin said

"Mmmm.." Eun Mi hummed a tune

"Say.. what song are you humming to? I always hear you humming it whenever you drive but I can't recognize it"

Eun Mi looked up. It was one of Baekhyun's original songs. The songs that he wrote before he debuted so no one other than him and her knew it. 

"It's an old song" Eun Mi answered

"Ahh I see" Chae Rin said. They both left the school and proceeded to go to the restaurant.

"Kim seonsaeng-nim! You made it!" another teacher cheered

Eun Mi bowed. Her fellow teachers knew she was coming and were very excited for her to join them. They liked her and wanted to get to know her better through drinks but she never did. But she was kind enough to offer rides to those who did drink.

"Come! Come! Sit on this side!" many of them said

Chae Rin sat down to the nearest seat and Eun Mi sat next to Chae Rin. 

"Who chose this restaurant?" Eun Mi asked

"Um.. I think Jung seonsaeng-nim? Or maybe Lee seonsaeng-nim. Why?" Chae Rin asked

"Nothing.. I was just wondering" Eun Mi gave a small smile

"I heard this restaurant gives shows so I wonder who is going to play tonight" Chae Rin asked

Eun Mi smiled. She loved watching live shows of singers. They reminded her of those times Baekhyun would play fo her privately in their old home. 

She looked around the restaurant and gave a small sigh. For three years, she tried to avoid the places that her and Baekhyun visited. She wanted to get over him as soon as possible so she thought by avoiding places with memories, it would work. This was the first time she's been to a place she went with Baekhyun before.

As the teachers started to grill the meats and started to drink, Eun Mi would talk to the other teachers and laugh at their jokes. She hasn't felt herself become happy or go out with many people because she preferred being home alone. She lost interest in meeting new people and going out to loud places. But tonight felt different. She started to feel happy being outside again.

"Good evening! As some may know, there is a live show tonight and he will join us shortly! Thank you for coming out tonight and enjoy your meals!" the owner announced

Eun Mi was laughing along with her coworkers while the singer made it on stage. He set the microphone on his stand and sat down on his stool with a guitar.

"Hello, my name is Byun Baekhyun and I will be your entertainment tonight"

Eun Mi stopped laughing and in her stomach, she felt a big knot forming. She gupled and glanced at the stage and there he was.

He looked exactly how she remembered him, except his hair is now dyed shades lighter than his natural color. She saw the way he held his guitar and wondered when he learned that. She knew he played the piano but she figured he must've learned it within the three years they haven't seen each other. Or perhaps he did learn it earlier on but she didn't notice.

He had the same smile as he always did and his eyes.. She didn't want to look at them but couldn't help but. She hated that even though it's been 3 years since they've seen each other, he still looked the same. The same Byun Baekhyun she once fell in love with.

"Eun Mi?" Chae Rin asked. Eun Mi's eyes were locked onto the man in the front.

"Tonight's song will be called 'Free'. It's one of my favorite songs and many of you may know it too" Baekhyun said

Eun Mi closed her eyes. His voice. It was the same voice that made her laugh. It was the same voice that broke her heart many times and it was the same voice that told her that he loved her for the first time. 

Baekhyun looked down at his guitar and then back up to look at his audience. He did this so he can get a good scan of the audience. He scanned from left to right until they fell onto a familiar face. An all too familiar person.

He froze and he felt his throat dry. On reflex, he whispered a quiet "Eun Mi" that no one else in the restaurant heard. Eun Mi opened her eyes and they softened. She didn't want to admit it, but she missed him. 

And so did he.

Eun Mi opened and tried to say his name but her heart started to ache the same ache that she felt the day they broke up.

After a few seconds, the restaurant started to become quiet and all attention was put on Baekhyun. He broke eye contact with Eun Mi and scanned the rest of the restaurant. 

He sighed and put on a new smile. A smile she knew that was forced. She knew him better than anyone. 

"Ah, sorry.. The song I will be playing is called 'Free' Thank you" he said. He started to play his guitar first and hummed the first tune. Instantly, Eun Mi's eyes closed. She always had the habit of closing her eyes when he sang so she could relive their memories. Now, when she closed her eyes, she only saw the hurt and pain that they both went through.

"I-I have to go.." Eun Mi barely whispered

"Where are you going?" Chae Rin whispered but Eun Mi was already out the door.

Eun Mi stood outside the restaurant and breathed. She was still able to hear the softness of Baekhyun's voice. She was amazed that his voice was still the same. She closed her eyes and remembered all the times he would whisper the three words that would release butterflies in her stomach. The same three words he told her on both rainy and sunny days

I love you

She clutched her heart as tears began to spill out. She thought she was over him by now. Shouldn't she be? Wasn't three years plenty of time to get over him? Why did he have such a big hold on her?

Her mind raced with these thoughts. She collapsed onto the ground and sobbed alone.

---

Baekhyun watched Eun Mi stumble out of the restaurant. He wanted to stop playing and run after her but he knew that it would only hurt the both of them.

After all, she was the one that ended it. Maybe the sight of him caused her to run away.

Suddenly, Baekhyun felt all the guilt come back. After three years of trying to supress them, they all came rushing back once he saw her.

All the times he had let her down. All the times that she cried because of him. The times he wasn't there to hold her when she was hurting. He felt all of it.

Baekhyun slowly stopped singing. The crowd started to murmur. Baekhyun looked out the window of the restaurant and knew what he had to do.

He still loved her. After three years, he still loved her. He didn't care if she didn't feel the same way. He couldn't keep the mask on. It was time to go back.

Baekhyun set his guitar down on the floor and whispered a "sorry" to the audience.

The audience all looked at him in confusion and eyes followed him out the door.

Baekhyun flung the door opened and looked left and right. There was no sight of Eun Mi and his heart sank. He feared she had really left him again. But he was determined to see her again.

He turned right and ran down the street. People all gasped as he ran passed them and some even scowled but he didn't care.

He repeated her name in his head a million times as he tried to find the girl he loved. 

Then he found her. She was waiting for the lights to turn green. He made a dash for her and grabbed her hand.

Eun Mi turned around with red eyes.

Baekhyun was breathing hard but he still managed to get a few words out.

"Let's get coffee"

Eun Mi blinked. Did he really just ask her for coffee? 

"It's your choice. Do you want to come to get coffee with me or go home?" he asked

She knew it was his way of asking for a second chance and she honestly didn't know what to say. A big part of her wanted to say "Yes oh my gosh, yes" but she couldn't open to say it.

"W-Why?" she stuttered

Baekhyun rubbed the back of his neck. He didn't know why he blurted those words out. Out of all the words that he could've said to her, he had to ask her for coffee.

"I missed you" "I never stopped loving you" "Come back to me" Those words.. were words that he wanted to say to her the most.

Baekhyun was speechless. He couldn't utter another word because he suddenly started to realize how much hurt was actually in her eyes. He knew she had cried earlier. He knew those were tears that were shed because of his incompetence.

And he didn't want her to shed anymore of her precious tears.. especially not on him.

He suddenly let go of her hand. Her arm swung back next to her and she looked down.

"I.." Baekhyun uttered

"Baekhyun.. Why are you doing this?" Eun Mi asked

He stared at her. He knew that even though he couldn't see her eyes, he knew she was crying. And he was crying inside too.

"Why is it that once I thought I was finally over you, you just come back?"

Baekhyun watched her as she spoke. How she looked so small and fragile. How he wanted to wrap his arms around her and comfort her. But he couldn't move a muscle. He just wanted to listen to her. He wanted to make up for all those times that he didn't listen to her.

"I thought that after three years, I would forget you. But I see you everyday.. every single day in my head" she said

I never stopped seeing you either, Eun Mi

"And now that I finally see you.. Oppa.." she said as she lifted her head up and met eyes with him

"I never forgot about you.. and I hate you for that"

Baekhyun felt his heart break into a million pieces. 

"Eun Mi.. I'm so sorry for everything" Baekhyun finally said

Eun Mi gave a small smile "I'm more sorry"

Eun Mi broke eye contact and looked onto the ground. She finally knew her answer.

"Instead of coffee.. let's go for some bubble tea" 

Baekhyun was finally able to crack a small smile

"I know just the place"

Eun Mi smiled and met his eyes again. She knew what she was doing. She knew that there was a big possibility that she would be hurt all over again. She knew that three years was a long time and that both of them have changed. She knew they were both adults so they had even more responsibilities.

But she also knew that she had to take this chance. That if she had actually gone home, she would regret it more than not trying to work this out again.

You see, Eun Mi was Baekhyun's first love and Baekhyun was her first love. They could never forget each other no matter how long it takes. They could've met 5 years or even 10 years later but they would always hold onto those memories they made with each other.

Because that's the magic behind first loves. You never simply forget it.


And that's a wrap. I want to take this time to thank all the lovely subbies that have supported me along the way. Whether you were here from Chapter 1 or recently subscribed, I want to sincerely thank you all for upvoting, commenting and subscribing. This community on AFF has been amazing and I'll never forget it either. I hope you all have a wonderful time on here because I know I did :)

Don't feel shy to comment ^^ I'll reply to any concerns or questions you may have~

Thank you all~