I'll Be There for You

Our Summer Love Story [Please Read Last Chapter]

There were 10 days left. Ten days until I had to fly back home. Sure, I was excited. Ecstatic, even. But deep down, I felt burdened. I had gotten close with Baekhyun. That day we spent together felt like yesterday even though it had been a few days ago. I remember every detail. Every joke he made, even though most of them were stupid. He was incredibly silly and goofy. I didn't now someone so clumsy and immature could be so charming as well. But that was Baekhyun. 

We had ended up adding each other on KaKaoTalk which is this app where you can send messages, call, video call and all that stuff. After our little day together, we haven't had a chance to really hang out with each other. Baekhyun was working full shifts so to "make it up" (as he said it) he added me on KakaoTalk. I didn't even have one before because in the States, we would just text each other but whatever. He was the only friend I had on it anyways.  

I laughed out loud. My sister poked her head out of the bathroom

"Talking to lover boy?" Eun Sang asked

I glared "No" I quickly shut my phone off so she wouldn't see. Eun Sang scoffed "I don't understand you"

I stifiled my laughter. Baekhyun had sent me a video of his coworker falling. He had introduced me to one of his close friends who he also worked with at the shop. His name was Park Chanyeol and we became close as well, thanks to Baekhyun. Baekhyun had played a little prank on his dear friend and captured it all on camera. Under the video, he put a caption: " Hope this will make you laugh XD " It sure did.

I sighed for the upteempth time. I was super bored. Of course, Eun Sang had gone out. She actually went with my parents. They decided to go shopping and you know how much I dreaded it so no thanks. Baekhyun was busy today as well with work so I was stuck in my room. I contemplated on calling my parents and meeting up with them. Eun Sang's traits were rubbing on me. I was itching to go out. I called my parents and they told me that they were at the same mall where I had met Baekhyun. I changed from my pajamas into something casual and light. As soon as I slipped out of my room, my phone made a bell sound. That meant I got a new message on KakaoTalk. I unlocked my phone and read the message

From: Byun Baekhyun

Come down~

-BB

I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion. I went down and holy moly, he was in the lobby.

"Wow, that was quick" he said "You couldn't wait to see me, heh?" he wiggled his eyebrows. I scoffed and crossed my arms over my chest "I was going to meet my parents and your message came through a minute after"

"Oh, you have somewhere to go? Sorry, maybe we can hang out-"

"No!" I half screamed out

Baekhyun grinned "You have 10 days until you leave so I told my supervisor I had something urgent to do and he let me off. Poor Chanyeol is stuck there by himself"

I blinked. He did that for me? He actually remmebered the days I had left before leaving?

"So, I think we should grab some food and maybe watch a movie?" he said

"Yeah, anything is fine" I said. As long as it's with you.

Baekhyun and I went to an Italian restaurant. I had to admit, their pasta was superb and even better than the pastas I had in the States. Whether it was because of the atmosphere of the restaurant or because I was with Baekhyun, or maybe because the food was actually that good, I couldn't tell. Baekhyun made sure that I had felt comfortable the entire time. He constantly made jokes and told me stories about his past. 

"...And that's how I got a scar righhhtt here" he pointed to a spot under his chin. I snorted and slammed my hand on the table. A few people turned their heads towards us and our faces grew red. That was the effect Baekhyun had. No matter how sophisticated we tried to appear, we always ended up looking like idiots.

"So, tell me something about you. Any ex-boyfriends?" Baekhyun asked as he twirled his spaghetti with his fork

"Hmm... well, this was about 3 years ago. Eun Sang and I use to have a pool in our backyard. My parents use to have barbecues every summer and invite their friends. Well, this one year, one of my mom's friend's son who is the same age as me, came over. We had been friends for a long time. My parents knew his parents. We were in the samee class so we kind of grew up together. Well, that summer I was swimming in the pool with my friends from school and he came into the pool. He tapped my shoulder and told me that he had this huge crush on me and wanted to date me. My friends were all telling me to do it because he was really 'cute'. Well, I turned him down and let's say he didn't really talk to me after that"

Baekhyun blinked "So you never had a boyfriend?"

I shook my head "I believe that I shouldn't date so carelessly. A lot of my friends in middle school dated anyone who confessed to them and I never understood why. I got love confessions from time to time, but I never accepted any"

Baekhyun chewed on his spaghetti "I see"

"So how about you?"

Baekhyun swallowed "Well, I actually broke up with my ex-girlfriend a few months ago"

Something about that made me upset. It was silly to have felt that way because Baekhyun was nothing but a friend but the idea of him being with someone else made me feel jealous. Did he still think about her? Did he regret breaking up with her? Was I some sort of rebound?

"What happened?" I asked

"We dated for about a year and a half. She was a good friend of mine actually. We went to school together. But her parents had to move for business so we had to break up. That, and we didn't have the same ideals. She was nice and smart but she never understood my dreams. When I told her that I wanted to be a singer, she would always mock me. I was glad that she had to move away, really"

I softened "She didn't support you?"

"I guess no one really did. My parents want me to go to school for medicine but I wanted to sing"

It got quiet. I didn't know what to say. I was never good with giving advice.

"I believe in you. I think you should do whatever you like because at the end of the day, it's your life." I said.

Baekhyun looked up and gave me a warm smile

"Thank you"

My heart fluttered. For the first time ever, I felt like I had saved someone with my words.

We left the restaurant and decided to skip the movies. It started to get late so we opted for some drinks. We went to a nearby café and grabbed some lattes. The night air in Seoul was chilly so I got a hot drink. I cupped the drink in my hand and put it close to my face. It felt warm against my cold cheeks. It was crazy how the weather changed here. One hour would have scourching weather and the next, a frosty chill. My cardigan was not helping and I lightly scolded myself for not wearing more. But how would I know, right? Baekhyun must've noticed that I was cold so again, he did something incredibly cliché. He pulled off his hoodie and draped it over my shoulder.

"Put it on. I guess you're not use to our weather, huh?" he laughed

I nodded "It changes so quickly"

"That's Seoul for you"

I handed him my latte to hold as I put on his hoodie. Although Baekhyun was super skinny, his hoodie felt like it could've fit a giant. His sleeves were a few inches too long and the hoodie could've wrapped around my body again. His scent was all over it and it gave me a warm feeling. It smelled like peppermint and cologne. He handed me my drink again so my hands would be warm. 

"Should we head back?" he asked

Although I didn't want to, I nodded. We walked in a comfortable silence. Neither of us talked, but it wasn't awkward. Before we both knew it, we were already approaching my hotel. I took off his hoodie and gave it back to him.

"Let's hang out again soon, okay?" Baekhyun said

I nodded "Yeah". We both didn't move from our spot. We didn't speak either. Our eyes were on the floor.

Baekhyun coughed and I met his eyes "I know you're leaving soon but.. I hope we'll still be friends"

I smiled "Of course"

"Even though we can't hang out like this when you leave, we'll still talk and keep up with each other's lives right?"

I nodded "As long as you message back"

Baekhyun laughed "I promise"

"Me too"

I was glad that Baekhyun addressed it first. I was constantly burdened with what our relationship would turn out. Would we stop talking once I left? Would everything seem like a dream? Would we both eventually forget each other? No. We would continue to talk to each other because we were friends. And then became something so much more than that.