Bold Moves

Our Summer Love Story [Please Read Last Chapter]

It was absolutely amazing. We talked and talked until his manager told us to leave. I don’t think I have ever laughed and smiled more than I ever did with someone else before. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not usually sad or anything like that, but I did prefer being alone. Introvert, guilty.

 

“I’m Baekhyun. Byun Baekhyun” he said

 

“Eun Mi. Kim Eun Mi” I smiled

 

“That’s a pretty name” he sipped his drink. Yeah, he got a drink too. Coconut milk tea. My second favorite.

 

I blushed “Do you say that about every girl you meet?” I teased

 

Baekhyun choked on his drink “W-What? N-No!”

 

I laughed “I’m kidding”

 

He bit his lip and looked away. I didn’t know what was going through his mind but he seemed extremely shy and embarrassed.

 

“How old are you?” he asked

 

“Me? I’m 18” I replied

 

“So am I. Month?”

 

“September”

 

“I was born in May! Call me oppa”

 

I gave him a weird look “But I barely know you”

 

He froze “Y-Yeah but it’ll be more comfortable if we talked without honorifics.. but if you feel uncomfortable then maybe we shouldn’t..”

 

I laughed “No, I will oppa”

He glanced at me and gave me a shy look. My heart fluttered. I wonder if his did too.

 

--------

After a few more moments of shy awkward encounters, his manager told us to leave and have our date somewhere else. Talk about making things more uncomfortable. Baekhyun rubbed the back of his neck.

“It’s getting late.. Should I take you home?” he asked

 

“Aren’t you being a little too straightforward?”

 

“I mean it’s late and I didn’t want you to get lost or you know, have something bad happen to you or something like that but really, if you can go home yourself you can but please don’t take what I said as some sort of move and I would never make you feel awkward and oh gosh, I’m rambling”

 

I laughed and even snorted but I didn’t care. This kid was funny! “Relax, I was joking. Wow, you really get all crazy when you’re nervous, huh”

 

He nodded “Well then.. uh should we go?”

 

“Actually, I don’t live here. I’m on vacation and I’m staying at that hotel” I pointed across the street

 

“You’re here in Seoul for vacation? Where do you live if you don’t mind me asking”

 

“In Los Angeles. The States”

 

It got quiet.

 

“Oh” he said

 

I bit my lip. Did I say something wrong?

 

“I see.. well let me walk you back to your hotel then”

 

It wasn’t the same vibe. It got awkward again. He wasn’t talking in his usual tone and I could tell something was off

 

“Is there something wrong?” I asked

 

“N-No. Why would there be?”

 

“You sound off so.. that’s why”

 

He gave me a small smile “No, I just uh, feel tired that’s all”

 

Liar.

 

We began to walk and it was quiet the whole time. Did I say something wrong? Was he disappointed that I didn’t live here?

 

Was he expecting something more?

 

“Hey, can I ask you something?” he spoke up

 

I was surprised. Did he read my mind or something?

 

“Y-Yeah, go”

 

“How come your korean is so good? I mean usually people who come from the states have some sort of accent but your korean is perfect. I couldn’t tell”

 

“Oh sorry, detective. I didn’t realize you go around the city listening for accents”

 

He gave me a look “Hey, I can’t help it if I have a good sense”

 

I laughed. Yeah right. “Well to answer your question, my parents taught me korean at a young age so I guess I just learned it better than others”

 

He nodded “What’s it like there? In the States?”

 

“Hmm.. well it’s nice I guess. There’s a lot of diversity. But it isn’t much different from South Korea. You have your urban and less city areas in LA too”

 

“I’ve always wanted to go there. You know, see the sites”

 

“Why don’t you?”

 

He remained quiet. Did he not want to answer?

 

“We’re here”

 

It seemed like we talked for ages and yet we just crossed a street. I didn’t want this to end. What if it wasn’t the same tomorrow? What if I never see him again? This stupid kid had already started to grow on me. Dammit.

 

“It’s not that late.. We can hang out for a little bit before I go in”

 

He perked up “Really?”

 

“Yeah, why not. I’m on vacation. I’m allowed to have fun, right?”

 

He nodded “Yeah. Fun”

 

“So Baekhyun oppa, take me to the fun places”

 

His face turned a bit red and he coughed to divert my attention “Sure.. let’s go then”

 

I was surprised at him and myself. I would’ve never imagine myself to make such a bold move- be the first to initiate anything, especially with a stranger. Yet, Baekhyun didn’t feel like a stranger. It felt like I have always known him. It felt like we were separated our whole lives and were finally reunited. We clicked. And it was rare for me. I didn’t just click with people. But with Baekhyun, anything was possible.