As Long As You're With Me

Our Summer Love Story [Please Read Last Chapter]

I had four full days left before I would leave South Korea. My summer vacation was close to an end. And normally, I wouldn't mind. It wasn't like I hated school. No matter what I did, I was always fine. Indifferent to everything. I wasn't the type to get excited over things. I wasn't excited that school had ended for the year. I wasn't excited to go to South Korea. I wasn't sad that school was going to start soon. 

But I was sad that I would have to leave South Korea. Sure, the country was beautiful. The food was amazing. The people were very polite and kind. Even after adding all of that up, it didn't come close to how much I would miss Baekhyun. 

Even now, thinking back about all of this, I find it confusing as to how I had allowed myself to make so much room for him in my heart. It was hard for me to get involved in many things and yet Baekhyun had just waltzed his way into my life. I was almost heartbroken that I would have to leave South Korea- to leave him.

I thought about going to school, going anywhere, and thought about not being able to see him. We lived about 6000 miles apart from one another and to see each other again was close to impossible.  To arrange any sort of physical meeting after the summer was just out of range.

And we were both so young. So clueless about the idea of love. We didn't know the meaning of being in love, being committed to one another, being dedicated to a relationship- a long distance relationship in our case.

And maybe that's why we didn't work out.

But as of now, we were friends. And we would remain friends.. for a while. One of the best decisions I made was to fall in love with Baekhyun. But one of my worst decisions was to allow him to break my heart.

 

It was nearing the time for my meetup with Baekhyun. I hadn't seen him in a few days so I was excited. My stomach was all tingling and I concluded that it was true about the whole "butterflies in my stomach" idea. My heartbeat was quicker than normal. I felt so nervous that I wanted to throw up but felt too happy that I knew throwing up was not going to happen. I had never felt this way before. But then I remembered, I had fallen in "love" wth Baekhyun.

I had thought about talking to Eun Sang about this. We did have our sister-to-sister talk before and I had decided that my friendship with Baekhyun would remain as a friendship. 

I even tried to hypnotize myself. I told myself that I had grown attached to Baekhyun and when he had left, I was in denial. And that denial somehow led to me to growing this artificial "love" for Baekhyun. And now that he's back, our friendship resumes and we would carry out and go on as if nothing had happened.

Except something did happen. No matter how much I told myself that I was not in love with Baekhyun, my mind and heart fought against one another. My mind argues "We're just friends and nothing more!" whereas my heart argued "It's love". 

I shook my head. There was no love. I didn't love Baekhyun. Yeah, he made me laugh but so does Korean drama. That doesn't mean I was in love with him...right?

Baekhyun was perfect in almost every way. He had great looks. He has great talent and knows how to use his talent. I loved the way his voice makes me feel. It's like being at peace with yourself. He is humble and kind to everyone. He is selfless and determined. He sicnerely cares about people and he would do almost anything to put a smile on your face. But most of all, I loved the way we just clicked. Like we were..meant to be.

Oh no. No no no no. I was not going to get involved. Especially this close to leaving. 

"What am I going to do?" I groaned

"Maybe you can stop ditching the family while you have fun with your boyfriend" Eun Sang casually said as she put on her earrings

My face turned red "B-Boyfriend?! Who said anything about a boyfriend?!" I shouted at her

Eun Sang gave me a bewildered look "Calm down. It was a joke... But seeing how you jumped at that makes me wonder.."

I swallowed my saliva and looked away

"Oh my goodness. Are you in love with him!?" Eun Sang pointed a finger at my face

I made a face at her and pushed her finger away "N-No. I'm not. I just.. don't like it when you call my guy friends as my boyfriend, that's all"

Eun Sang laughed "What guy friends? You barely have any girl friends. Please Eun Mi, take it from your gorgeous sister, you totally like him and you won't admit it"

I folded my arms "It's none of your business anyways"

Eun Sang shrugged "Well, I thought you were going to keep it platonic. No strings attached"

I sighed "I tried.."

"Strings formed?" 

I nodded "Strings have formed"

 

I decided to wear a striped T-shirt with light denim jeans. I brought along a cardigan in case I get cold again. Although I would have preffered it if Baekhyun decided to give me his sweater again, I decided against it. If I was going to cut the strings, I would start now. This was just our usual friend with friend outing. No strings attached.

As I got closer and closer to the bubble tea shop, I saw him leave throught he door. I instinctly hid behind a wall and watched his movements. My heart was racing and my hands started to get sweaty.

He looked amazing. It sounds crazy but it was like he got more handsome when he was gone. He was whistling a tune as he was locking the doors of the shop. Once he finished locking the doors, he twirled the keys around his finger and stuck them in his pocket. He took his phone out and smiled down at it. He took a seat down on the bench in front of the shop and tapped his fingers on his knee.

I gulped. Why was I hiding instead of walking towards him? I was so excited to see him. I was literally itching to go out with him again but now I felt foreign. I felt like there was this invisible wall between us. It was only two days but I felt so distant from him. I felt almost awkward. Something I had never felt with Baekhyun since I had met him. It was strange.

My phone made a ding! noise and I knew it was from the KaKao Talk. Baekhyun had messaged me.

Baekhyun Oppa: You're late.

It was 6:02 P.M. I was "late" by two minutes. I couldn't help but break out into a smile.

You: Look up

I quickly walked over, careful not to let him see me come out from behind the wall. Baekhyun looked up just as my message had said and broke into a dashing smile. It was similar to the one he gave me when we first met but this time, the smile was even more charming.

"Wow, you're like a ninja" Baekhyun said as he stood up

"Well that is what I go to school for-"

I felt my head pushed against something firm and warm, and arms were wrapped around my shoulder. I blinked and realized that Baekhyun had embraced me.

I wasn't the type to engange in any skinship. I didn't hook my arm around my girl friend's arm as we went shopping. I never held hands with anyone. And hugs were rare to my body. I never understood how couples kissed and cuddled in public. I almost detested it.

But with Baekhyun, I made special exceptions.

I inhaled in his cologne. It was the same scent from his sweater that he let me borrow the last time we went out. The familiar scent made me feel comforted. I slowly put my arms around his waist and closed my eyes. I wanted to stay like this forever. 

"I missed you" Baekhyun murmured

"I..I missed you too" I muttered. I didn't like saying things that sounded mushy or cheesy but I really wanted to say it. I kept everything bottled up for two days. I thought about all the bad things about not being able to see Baekhyun ever again. And now, that he was here, with me, I had to let it out. I had missed Byun Baekhyun.

Baekhyun had unwrapped his arms and reluctantly, I did too. Baekhyun gave me a shy smile which I found cute. I noticed his ears were more red than usual. If I was into Baekhyun this much, what were the chances he also felt the same? I had some hope in my heart.

"Sorry.. I just.. really really missed you, Eun Mi" Baekhyun rubbed the back of his neck

I smiled "I missed you too...oppa" 

"I didn't want to leave you without any explanation so I was going to send you a message but my phone had died just as I was about to finish. My mother got sick so I decided to visit her. I hope you didn't feel bad that I left without telling you"

I tried not to show any emotion in my facial expression. Not feel bad about leaving? Yeah, that goes out the window. I felt awful- devastated. But Baekhyun didn't need to know that.

"No, it's okay. I'm sorry about what happened in the restaurant. It was nothing personal, I promise. My parents are just really nosy and they can get really embarrassing" I laughed "Is your mother alright now?"

Baekhyun smiled "She's fine now. It wasn't a big deal. She had a small cold but I haven't seen my parents for about a month so I decided to visit as well. Maybe you can come visit my childhood home"

I hesitated. Would there be enough time before I leave? I shook my head. I had to stop thinking about the remaining time I had here with Baekhyun. I had to start have fun now because who knew how long it would take for us to meet again. I had to put aside all of my worries and just enjoy my time here. I wanted to savor everything we did together for the last few days. I didn't want to worry about how many days or how many hours I had left before leaving. Because what was important now was that I was still here. And I had to enjoy every last minute of it.

"Sure, I would love that"


A/N: Thank you guys so much for commenting and subscribing! It really makes me happy to hear your feedback about the story :) Please note that I am actually a newbie when it comes to angst so please bear with me and don't be shy and tell me how you like it (or dislike it) so far so I know if it's good (or bad)! Thanks again! ^_^