The Breakup (Middle Prologue)

Our Summer Love Story [Please Read Last Chapter]

Please read the long author's note at the end for clarification! Enjoy! ^_^


"Let's break up"

He stared at her. His heart was racing. He could feel the pulse through his ear. Was that even possible? Her eyes were teary and she blinked some back. He saw her holding the ends of her shirt tightly, wrinkling them.

"Was it something I did?"

The both of them silently looked away from one another. For the past few months, they both felt this would come. But neither of them had the courage to be the one to end it. Until today.

"It was nothing you did.. I think it was the both of us.. You can't deny the fact that you haven't thought about this too right?"

"But..I love you"

"And I love you too.. but we can't keep doing this to ourselves.."

She wiped her tears with the tissue that came with her coffee. Her heart was racing and she felt cold sweat forming on her hands.

They've been dating for 3 years now. It was the longest relationship that either of them have had. They really believed that this would've worked. That long distance worked for them. But they were wrong. 

It was hard. For two teenagers to grasp the idea of what love is. There had to be sacrifices; selfless acts one would do for the other so that the other can be happy even if it meant that you weren't. There had to be communication. They both had to set aside time for one another. They both knew the time difference was a big challenge but they always believed that their love for each other would overcome it. That their love would overcome anything. And last, there has to be trust. Without trust, the relationship would die.

They broke every one of those.

But they thought it was okay because love can conquer over anything. Or so they thought.

After about 2 years, their relationship started heading downhill. There were more fights. More misunderstandings. Soon, their love turned to discomfort. They felt weird with each other. It wasn't how it was like when they first met. 

She felt like she had met her other half. She was carefree, happy and felt love for the first time in her life.

He was able to realize his own dream of becoming a singer because of her.

They both complimented each other so well but their relationship had an expiration date.

They just didn't realize it.

"You never looked pretty when you cry" he said

She gave him a small smile "I know"

"I'm sorry"

"For what?"

They both sighed. They knew what was coming next but could they have changed any of it?

"D-Do you think that.. if we were more smart about everything..and careful with this.. do you think we could've made it work?"

"We made it work.. for 3 years.. and if that was the time limit then.. it was the time limit"

She looked away and blinked back tears. He sighed and looked down at his now cold coffee.

"Baek.. you know that I'll always hold a special place in my heart for you right?"

He nodded. He had forgotten how the word "oppa" sounded from her. She stopped calling him that about a year ago. 

"Eun Mi.. you should go"

She bit her lip. Eun Mi. It sounded so cold and distant now. He gave her the most childish name when they first started dating. He use to call her "MiMi" to annoy her. And it did. But whenever he called her that, she knew that that was his nickname for her. That it was sort of like an imprint. He was hers. And she was his. 

She looked at her watch. The same watch he gifted her on her birthday. Her first birthday with him.

"You're right. My flight leaves in about 2 hours.." she mumbled

He rubbed his temple and sighed. Was he going to let her go this easily? Was he going to let go of this right here and now?

 

 

Yes. Yes he was.

 

She gave him a small smile that he didn't see. She stood up and grabbed her purse and suitcase.

"Goodbye oppa" she said.

He didn't respond. He was afraid that if he looked at her.. if he looked at her one last time, he would take back everything he said and did to have hurt her. Because he loved her that much.

She knew that he couldn't bear to see him. And she felt that it was for the best. No matter what, she knew she would never stop caring about him. She knew that he was hurting as much as she was. She just didn't know that he was just as scared as she was.

She was frightened. How was life without Baekhyun going to be for her? He was everything she had to keep herself from going crazy. 

She grabbed her purse from the seat next to her and stood up. The bell hanging from the café, door jingled as she opened it and left.

"Have a nice day" the cashier said as she left.

Baekhyun gave a bitter laugh. The irony, he thought.

After about 5 minutes of mourning, he decided it was time to go home. Go home to the place where she was no longer with him.

As he looked up, he saw the same black umbrella he had used on the day he met her placed on the table.  

He remembered the first time he went to the United States. She had begged him to come and he immediately booked a flight because he had also missed her. It had been 5 months into the relationship and he felt as if it was time to see each other again.

Unfortunately, on the day he arrived at the Los Angelos Airport, it was raining cats and dogs. He put his jacket over his head to try to run across the street to catch a taxi. But before he ran, he spotted her. He spotted her way across, waving her arms like a kid. 

He smiled at that memory. He remembered that he took it with him back to Korea, so why did she have it?

He shook his head. She always had a way of keeping bits and pieces of their memories together. He didn't mind. He was always travelling anyways so he never stayed in one place for too long. 

He grabbed the umbrella off the table and also left the café. 

 


(A/N): Wow, I feel as if I haven't updated in forever, but it's only been about 2-3 months? I hope you guys haven't forgotten about this story. 

This story will be on a small hiatus only because I still have to plan things out because I don't have every bit of detail figured out yet.

Now, you guys might be wondering: what is this random chapter? What about Eun Mi coming back to the US? I'll get back to the development of the story in the next chapter but I thought of writing this prologue for the story when I was in class the other day (sorry professor for not paying attention in class) but I'm already 16 chapters into the story so I thought I'd add it in the middle for a bit of angst(?) and more foreshadowing!

Please keep in mind that I'm not a big angst writer so I'm still learning! Please comment below on what you think about this!

Also, I kind of didn't want to reveal who broke up with who just yet so I kind of reframed from using "he said..she said" in the beginning just so there's some curiosity to float around but please comment on who you think broke up with who. I'm curious as to why you guys might think so!

I hope you guys a happy holiday and a happy (early) new year!

As always, thanks for reading, subscribing and commenting!