09.

Hold Me Tight
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter Nine: Muse
(A/N: edited.)

“Today sets the start of the preparations for Sports Week, to be held in three weeks’ time.” Ms. Park explained a few minutes after she entered the homeroom class. “The registration for the respective sport competitions are posted on the bulletin board in the lobby near Principal Bang’s office. I am looking forward to your registrations because you are all graduating.”

The class started to make a noise, saying that they would join this and that competition. Me? I’m not a sporty kind so I’ll stick with watching, I believe the players needs supporters. Ms. Park shushed the students as she said, “And as usual, every sections needs a muse. Each muse will get to choose their own and she will be competing with the other muses for the talent and question and answers.” Every girl was rather ecstatic to hear the news with the muse, not that I am not, but I guess this means you will be the epitome of beauty in each class, a very high compliment I must say. Ms. Park revealed a fish bowl which was under her desk, it has small pieces of papers in it. “You all know I love this class and that I impose equality, so there will be no voluntary or voting system to pick our muse. I believe every lady in this class is very pretty to become our muse.” The students squealed in anticipation. “The name that I will pick cannot say no to this, remember this is your last year so bear with the popularity for the last time.”

Everyone kept on making noises as they watched Ms. Park put her hand in the fishbowl and picked a random paper. I looked at Jungkook, he seemed to be so uninterested with the selection, or maybe the whole Sports Week itself. I smiled at his ignorant expression. We’ve been like this for a week already after the hang out, and I feel fine about it, he is not doing anything wrong so…

“Cha Hye Soo.”

My eyes almost popped out of my sockets as I heard my name being called. Everyone’s expecting gazes were at me, all of them were happy. Wait, so am I selected? “Ms. Park?” I asked.

Ms. Park gestured her hand for me to stand up, “You’re our muse, Hye Soo.” Everyone cheered.

“W-Wait, I-”

In Hye looked at me, “Everyone in the class will help you with everything, don’t worry about it.” Everyone agreed with her. I am not sure if they are trying to make me feel comfortable about it, or making fun of me. Seriously? I was never lucky with Lottery, why am I chosen?

“So, who’s going to be your ?” Asked Ms. Park, “You must pick wisely because there is a talent show, you must be compatible with him.”

I was speechless, who am I going to pick? I was never that close with any man in class, except Jungkook whom I had a very complicated kind of love and hate friendship. I shrugged, “I don’t really have any idea with these kind. You pick for me, anyone will do.”

As if I was someone is so pretty, some boys volunteered themselves to be my partner. They were supposed to have this little audition when Bora, one of my classmates, raised her hand and spoke, “Why don’t you have Jungkook as your ?” Whispers started to be heard, “The both of you are seatmates so I guess you two are pretty close already, you two would look cute together as our representatives. What do you think?”

Everyone in class, imposing democracy, shouted their lungs out as they agreed to what she said. They were cheering and even made a couple name for the two of us immediately, “HYEJUNG, HYEJUNG!”

Ms. Park eventually shushed them and gave me a look, “So, what do you think, Hye Soo? I also think Jungkook will do fine, he’s good looking.”

“Ah…” I started. Jungkook and I aren’t in good terms, what do I do? I looked at In Hye and Eun Mi, both were giving me expectant looks, like I should agree with doing it with Jungkook. “I’m fine with anyone, but we should ask him. I mean, it’s not a very easy job to do, and… He doesn’t have any opinion in this, I think.”

I turned to Jungkook, feeling scared. Everyone did look at him, I remembered that he was quite a scare to everyone in class, but it seems like everyone have forgotten about this image of him as they were pleading him to give an answer.

“It’s an easy job, Jungkook.”

“You’re quite talented too.”

“Hye Soo is really pretty, you know.”

“Are you letting her go with someone else?”

“Okay guys, that’s too much. This was a very fast decision that we did and maybe it’s not his thing, don’t push him to do it. Though you made me...” I told them, “Maybe we should just do a random pick-”

“I’ll do it.” I looked at Jungkook, checking if it was him who said it, “Y-You’re doing it?” I asked. He looked at me and gave me a sarcastic response, “I’m not saying it again.”

“Then it’s settled! Get your books and let’s start the lesson.”

Good grief, how are we going to handle it together? I’m afraid and shy if it was someone else, but I am more than embarrassed. I feel awkward because I think we have this… Stranger label for each other.

“Hye Soo, Jungkook is a good dancer, maybe a dance performance would be a good idea.”

My female classmates, the moment break time was announced, surrounded me as they gave me numerous ideas of what to do in the talent competition. I groaned mentally, giving them a question, “Why do we have to have a talent competition? It’s a Sports related activity. Talent competition should be in Rhythm Week.”

“But not everyone gets to join in Rhythm Week,” said Eun Mi, “It’s only meant for us, Performing Arts majors.”

I frowned, “I have no idea with all of these, let’s just find another candidate.”

“Oh come on,” In Hye grinned, “Jungkook already agreed with being your partner, are you going to leave him now? That would make him mad at you, again.”

“Hye Soo-ah, are you and Jungkook really close? At the party at Namjoon sunbae’s house, we saw the two of you getting in the same car, and it looks like you two were fighting that time.” My classmate Jin Ri said in a curious tone. I was thankful that Jungkook left earlier, because I don’t know how he will react to this, and I’ll feel more embarrassed than I am right now. In Hye and Eun Mi on the other hand, gave them a not-so-innocent ‘oh’ and ‘really’s, which totally made me feel disgusted. If they weren’t leaving me alone that time I wouldn’t have been in that kind of situation.

“There was also one time when I was going home when I saw you and Jungkook walking towards the Sky Café.” Bora said, slowly tilting her head towards the board’s direction. “But it doesn’t seem like you two are walking together, he looks like he’s following you.”

“I work in Sky Café.” I told them, “But I have no idea with what you’re talking about, we never walked together to the café.”

“Maybe Jungkook is starting to grow feelings for you!”

“That’s impossible.” I laughed, almost immediately. I can assure everyone that we have a lot of things to work on before getting hyped up with that kind of feelings.

“Anyways, if you need anything, we are all here to help you.” Jiyoung smiled, “You see this thing is quite important for all of us because we are graduating, and that we have been winning this since we’re freshmen.”

“Our class believes in you.” Jin Ri added.

“Hey, everyone.” I told them, my voice slightly trembling. “I’m totally shy, don’t get your hopes up.”

They were all giggling as they said, “Everyone feels you’d win this, you got us and you got Jungkook. You’ll see how intelligent he is in this activity.”

I thought that it would be a good idea for me to spend an hour with Jungkook to talk about what we’ll do in the competition. But that’s what I thought. Dismissal has arrived yet Jungkook didn’t spare me a second to even call his attention. He left immediately and he was nowhere to be found. Why did he even agree to this in the first place if he’s not going to help me anyway? That kid can really be a brat at times. I sighed as I made my way to the café and decided that I shall talk to him about this by calling him and he has no right to ditch me again.

“Hello, Hye Soo!” Choa greeted me as I entered the café this afternoon. I smiled brightly at her as I walked towards her, “I’m glad you’re here already, we actually have a new part timer that I would like you to meet.”

“Oh, really?” I said, nodding as she led the way towards the staff room. I went in and saw a tall man facing his back towards me, as if he was still fixing his uniform.

“Hey, cutie.” Choa called him, “Hye Soo’s here. As I told you a while ago, the two of you will take the night shift until closing every Friday. Maknae, we have a little change and mix up of schedule, Jinwoon will have to explain it to you, okay?”

“Okay.” I smiled as Choa as she made her towards the door.

“You have fifteen minutes to chat, cutie.” Choa said and left. I looked back at the man and realized that his back was quite familiar to me. He looks like…

“Hye Soo, hi!”

“Jimin oppa?” I said, startled as he turned to face me. He was wearing the uniform of the café, and that made me even more startled. “What are you doing here?”

Jimin proudly walked towards me as he said, “I’m working here today onwards. Isn’t that fun? We’d get to work together!”

I gave him a wary smile, “I still don’t understand why you have to work here, though.”

“You don’t really have to understand, I need money so I’m working.” He laughed as he pointed at my bag, “You should change and get to work too!”

I smiled, “Yes, I will.”

After changing my uniform, I went straight to Jinwoon and he told me that Jimin and I will have the same shift, from afternoon till 8pm, but we’ll have to stay until 10pm during Fridays, replacing Minhyuk and Seolhyun on the shift. I agreed and continued to work. I saw Jimin, who seem to be overly busy with working, he must really need money. He looks so diligent with taking orders and cleaning the tables, that was rather weird of him, he doesn’t look like he needs money, extra money, at least.

Wait, I don’t really need extra money, I just want to make my time productive so why am I suspecting him of something else?

The moment the clock struck 9pm, Minhyuk, Seolhyun and Jinwoon hyung left, leaving me, Jimin, and Choa as the staff available. It was a good idea though, there are not much customers at this time since classes are usually done by afternoon till six. There were no customers entering yet, so Jimin and I were standing by the entrance of the café while Choa is there by the counter, talking on the phone with her boyfriend.

“So, how was your first day as a barista?” I asked Jimin.

With his eyes somehow sparkling, he looked at me and told me, “I’m having so much fun! I really wanted to try and make beverages for the customers and now I am starting to appreciate and understand how difficult it is to make one.”

I giggled at his cute explanation, he looked so interested with the field that he is in now. “You should establish your own café, soon.”

“That’s a good idea, I will do that and you will have to work there.” He told me and I laughed, telling him that he must give me a good and high paying position when he do. Afterwards, he changed the topic and asked, "Are you available tomorrow? There is this a new movie that I want to watch, and I would like to invite you."

I thought for a while, I was planning to do nothing tomorrow but a movie with Jimin would be alright. But I think it would be better if I take In Hye and Eun Mi, I am not comfortable with the idea that it will only be the two of us going out for a movie. "Can my friends join? I mean, I want to watch a movie with my friends, and you're my friend too. I just think having many is good for a movie."

Jimin nodded, "Of course, just don't forget to leave me a message on what time we'll meet, but I can fetch all of you, if you like."

"Oh no," I exclaimed, "That would be too much from you, I think it'll be better if we all meet at the mall tomorrow."

"Okay, it's settled." He said, "I think you should call them now and ask if they're available tomorrow."

I nodded and started to walk towards the staff room when I heard loud screams and shouts of laughter. I turned to see Jimin and the rest of the 'Bangtan Boys' hugging each other like they haven't seen each other for almost a decade. I saw Jungkook, smiling sweetly like how a youngest was supposed to. Then I remembered the competition so I walked towards them, totally forgotten the thing that I was supposed to do. "I never thought you'd go here for real." Jimin told them with an excited tone in his voice.

Yoongi shoved him slightly as he walked towards me, "Get away Jimin, we're really here for Hye Soo."

"You got no jams," added Taehyung.

"You should take your orders before we close." I told them, looking at Jimin. "You go with them, take off the sign since we're about to close, Choa unnie and I will make the drinks."

Choa unnie and I made chocolate frappes for everyone since the boys were too busy talking and laughing, and that they were all dumbfounded, fighting and changing the orders as they were all arguing. We all settled in our seats, watch

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter