The Next Day

Catch Me If You Can

 

A/N: If you have read my announcement in my story ‘WHY’, some of you would know that I was admitted to the hospital for another wave of health issues. I am already out of the infirmary but I’m still trying to recuperate so I hope you will understand future delays on my fics. But thank you for still reading this creation of mine.

 

Your sickly author here would like to apologize for this very late update *doing a 90 degree bow*

 

The subscriptions, views, comments and upvotes really motivates me guys. Thank you so much.

 

WHY and IY's new chapters are already on the making. A little more patience from you guys. Kekeke. But for the meantime, I hope you enjoy this one ^^

 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

The next day, Yoona found herself handling the steering wheel inside her black Audi s7 (her black Chevrolet Camaro was on repair). She was on her way to pay a visit to a certain someone she needed to see on the very moment.

 

After the mission last night and her regretful un-appearance to her supposed date-for-a-name with the stunning Kwon, Yoona wanted to see this person really badly. Perhaps talk to her or just watch her from afar.

 

The latter would even be enough to take away her worries even just for moment, the Im is certain of that.

 

Arriving at the place and parking her automobile meters away from it, Yoona took her time to stare at the area for awhile. She is not sure what will be the reaction of the person she will meet today. Will she be glad? Angry? Sad?

 

Well, Yoona was beyond doubtful if the person will be happy to see her—not after her incompliance of the promise she gave her.

 

She is such a promise-breaker, isn’t she?

 

The doe-eyed lady inhaled before opening the door of her car and slipping herself out of the four-wheeled vehicle. She then gathered all of the brave cells she had and started walking towards the hospital building.

 

Pacing through the corridors, Yoona stayed composed. She passed through the nurse station silently as she was perfectly familiar to the way leading to her sister’s room.

 

It has been years since Hanna was admitted to the facility and it was almost everyday that Yoona was here so it is no wonder she is not lost. Her visits only halted and slowed down into twice or once a week when their missions have become more notorious and when she and Jessica made it to the wanted list as “The Nameless” last year.

 

The tall blonde made it to the hallway where Hanna was rooming. She was passed by a middle-aged man who was carrying a bouquet of flowers and the doe-eyed girl mentally face-palmed herself.

 

“Shoot. I do not even have anything for her today.” Yoona cursed under her breath.

 

She was in a hurry to visit her dongsaeng this morning that she even forgot the idea of buying something for her. Jessica was still in deep slumber when she left and only left a note that she will be visiting Hanna. The Jung could have reminded her to at least buy a basket of fruits for her ailing sister if the sleeping monster was already conscious.

 

Arriving at the door to Hanna’s room, Yoona took a heap of air and exhaled it deliberately. Although she is known to be the coldest and the most collected person the ice-princess Jung ever knew, she is the cheerful and smiling unnie to Hanna.

 

She can’t afford to be seen composed and sad by her dongsaeng.

 

Not in her state.

 

So after masking a smile, Yoona slowly knocked on the wooden door and turned the knob. She carefully slid herself and silently prayed that there will be no bad news about her sister’s state today.

 

“Unnie, I don’t want to eat carrots..”

 

And after hearing to what seemingly perceived like a kid’s whine, a wide, genuine grin broke out on the lips of the blonde Im. Her 20-year-old dongsaeng never really liked carrots even when they were kids.

 

“But Hanna-yah, carrots are good for you. It can make you healthier..”

 

The childish, skinny patient sighed and Yoona knew that the act was accompanied by her infamous childish pout.

 

“But it tastes awful, unnie..”

 

“What did I say about not eating carrots, Hanna-yah?”

 

The low, familiar voice of her unnie made the youngest in the room to look up from her stare. She saw a tall blonde figure with the eyes similar to that of her sister’s ones, appearing from the door.

 

“Who are you?” Hanna asked, narrowing her eyes at the person meters away from her.

 

Yoona stuck staring at the patient for a while before huffing out in the absurdity of her dongsaeng’s question, “Yah, did the medicines affected your memory that you forgot the last family you have??”

 

Gathering all the energy a leukemia-patient can muster, the younger Im widened her weak eyes in surprise.

 

“I-Is that you, Y-Yoona unnie?”

 

Seeing this reaction from her sister, Yoona managed to smile—although it was half-hearted after seeing how frail her sister looked like.

 

“The one and only..”

 

Smiling, the blonde Im walked towards the bed and bowed at the nurse who was feeding her childish sister. Meanwhile, Hanna the patient looked intently at the figure beside her with awe.

 

Is this really her sister?

 

“Unnie, why did you dye your hair?”

 

Yoona could only shrug, “It’s the trend”

 

Blinking, the younger Im shook her head. “Well, it doesn’t look good at you unnie. You look like a corn..”

 

What?!

 

It took the older Im to absorb what her sister called her before absurdly scoffing at the statement.

 

S-she looks like w-what again?

 

A freaking corn?! Of all the metaphors her dongsaeng can use, she compared her to a hairy corn?

 

Wow. The medicines sure had great effect on her, Yoona was certain.

 

“Why you! Aish.. I look y on this, don’t you see? You’re going blind little sis”

 

The frail-looking Hanna clicked her tongue in disapproval but Yoona decided to ignore her for a while and turned her head towards the nurse.

 

“Unnie, was my sister been rebellious when I was gone?”

 

“Yah unnie!”

 

The nurse chuckled at the siblings’ antics and stood up from her seat, “Ah, aniyo.. Hanna has been a very good girl Yoona-ssi.”

 

Yoona nodded and glanced back to her sister with a playful glare, “She better be. I’ll hit her if she burdens you that much.”

 

This statement made the nurse smile and the patient snicker, “You won’t hit a sick person like me, would you?”

 

“Pfft. I will if you’re being too much of a bother to the nurses here.”

 

Hanna, the 20-year-old patient maturely stuck her tongue out as a retaliation to her Yoona unnie’s threat that only made the eldest Im to shake her head.

 

She is now starting to doubt if she did good in raising her dongsaeng.

 

“I will leave you two alone for the meantime, Yoona-ssi. Can you make sure Hanna finishes her food?” the nurse cut in, politely handing over the bowl of soup to the blonde that looked like it was never been touched at all.

 

A rush of blues suddenly penetrated the insides of Yoona as she remembered Dr. Seo’s words a week ago.

 

Her body stopped absorbing the medicine and it’s difficult to let her eat nowadays. She had grown weaker and weaker especially that the cancer cells had spread all throughout her body. At this stage, it’s a blessing that she’s still here with us.

 

“Oh sure thing, unnie. I’ll take it from here. Thank you for taking care of my sister.” Yoona replied genuinely, donning a warm smile that she rarely shows to anyone.

 

The nurse smiled and bowed her head before getting out of her patient’s room alone with her sister she talks about almost everyday.

 

After making sure that the nurse had left, Yoona flipped her head with her blonde tresses back to the patient behind her.

 

“I hate you.” Was the first words she heard from her frail-looking sister.

 

The paleness of her skin and her bony face explicitly tells Yoona that Hanna’s body had changed  so much throughout the years of battling leukemia. Seeing her still spatting those remarks to her just made her happy and sad at the same time.

 

Happy that the girl was still sensitive enough to remember about the promise she made.

 

Sad because Hanna had to go through all of those painful medications that cost her everything.

 

And she as the unnie can do nothing to stop the stupid disease consume her sister day by day.

 

Yoona took a heap of air burn her lungs before settling herself on the chair right beside the bed. She set aside the bowl of the tasteless soup on top of the table beside the bed and then looked up to the patient.

 

“Hanna-yah”

 

“I hate you..” The stubborn patient insisted on her remark.

 

Nevertheless, it was understandable for her to say so since she had been itching to see her sister for the past weeks but the elderly never came like she promised to.

 

Or that’s what she thought so.

 

“Look,” Yoona started, “I know I made a promise that I’ll come and visit you and I did, actually. But you were asleep then so you didn’t get to see me..”

 

Hanna perked up an eyebrow, “Why didn’t you wake me up then?”

 

Because I do not want you to see me crying.

 

“I tried, you know, but you’re such a heavy sleeper and Dr. Seo said that I should let you rest..” Yoona strived to look so convincing on her words, pushing back her real reason behind her head.

 

Hanna looked raptly at her sister to see if there is any hint of playfulness and deceit in her façade. She knew her sister all too well—Yoona is the kind to keep a lot of secrets that sometimes Hanna doubts her. The patient only not has to struggle from her illness but also from the fact that her unnie is the most guarded person in her universe.

 

Yet, Yoona was way too sure that her front will never blow her off. She knew she can count on her big, doe-eyes to work its wonders even to the person closest to her heart as of the moment.

 

Because who knows who could come closer to it in the times to come?

 

Persuaded by the claim, Hanna grunted in the lowest, hoarse voice a leukemia patient can muster up.

 

“You should have waken me up, unnie.. You shouldn’t have believed in Dr. Seo. You know I badly wanted to see you.. I really missed you..”

 

Although the remark slipped off in an annoyed tone, this made Yoona’s lips to twitch up on its side to form a profound smile.

 

This is just one of the many reasons why Yoona decided to relinquish her morality and taint her hands with the bloods of her ruthless and corrupt victims. Her sister’s life is so much worthy to keep than those of their malevolent souls who only worshipped their wealth and riches.

 

Ruffling her sister’s hair, Yoona spoke happily “I missed you too, baby girl..”

 

Hearing this, the patient Im broke out a huge grin. Oh how she missed being called as such by her rarely cheesy sister.

 

“Aigoo, that toothy grin still never falters huh??”

 

“Of course, unnie. This is my asset and my sickness will never take that away from me..”

 

If there is something that Yoona envies from her youngest sibling that would be her optimism and brightness. Even before, she was the energy pill of the doe-eyed girl for the great cheer she will always emit.

 

If the two of them is among Snow White’s seven dwarfs, Yoona will be definitely be the ever sullen Grumpy and her youngest sister will be the joyful ol’ Happy.

 

“That’s great. Now, if you want that asset of yours to remain the same, I suggest..” Yoona paused to get the bowl of soup she set aside a while ago, “..that you finish your breakfast first.”

 

And if there is something that Hanna hates about her sister that would be her way of talking things out and getting things her way. Just like this stupid ‘breakfast thing’ that the nurse left for her unnie to take care of.

 

Seriously, does her sister know how dull the soup tastes like?

 

Rolling her eyes, Hanna groaned. “Ugh! Can I have a day not having someone nagging me about eating my breakfast?”

 

“Uhm, let me think… NO.” The doe-eyed girl ended with a firm tone.

 

“Ugh!” Hanna can’t just stop rolling her eyes hard at the attitude of her elder sister. Oh how she missed the mockery of the corn girl she used to be acquainted with.

 

“Now stop rolling your eyes on me young lady and eat this. Maybe after you finish, we’ll talk about your discharge.”

 

Hanna was yet to roll her eyes once again when she abruptly halted after hearing the statement and blinked her eyes in surprise.

 

Wait what?! 

 

“W-what did you say unnie??”

 

The older Im could only flash her dazzling smile at the younger who has this very surprised expression on her face. Literally jaw-dropped and astonished eyes for sure.

 

“I was thinking of bringing you home, Hanna-yah..”

 

And gone were the jaw-dropped appearance on the youngest face for it was replaced with a huge grin plastering all over her frail, pale face.

 

“J-jinja??”

 

The smile on her sister’s lips was momentarily enough for Yoona to forget all of her worries and dilemmas. And she never regretted coming here all along.

 

“Yes. I am going to talk to Dr. Seo about this so that your papers will be processed as soon as possible.”

 

That grin never stops but now, it was accompanied with a weak yet firm fist pump of the sick Im.

 

“Oh yes! At last! I am going out of this detention after so many years!”

 

After years of the hell-ish imprisonment inside this four-cornered hospital room that was always associated with muffled or loud cries of agonies due to the chemotherapies and painful shots as well as silent and hopeful prayers, Hanna is feeling all so giddy and extremely thrilled to know that finally, she will be going out of the care unit.

 

Finally, she can go to the places where she always wanted for her and her unnie to visit. Now she can annoy her sister to buy her the food that she was never able to eat inside the hospital facilities and purchase her of the clothes she intended to wear besides the boring, unstylish hospital gown.

 

Finally she can go out.

 

And Hanna clearly understood the sudden change of mind of her sister who was once really opposed to the idea of her stepping out of the hospital premises.

 

I want to get out of here unnie.

 

You know it’s not gonna happen, Hanna. Not until you’re--

 

Cured and totally healed. Yeah right. Like those shots and therapies are working.

 

Shut up young lady. You are not going out of here. End of discussion.

 

Pfft. Let’s accept it unnie, I’m not getting any better!

 

Will you stop talking nonsense??? You are getting better here Hanna. You’re just too stubborn to realize it.

 

No unnie. You stop being delusional and try listening to me. I am not healing now, tomorrow or any other day! This disease will not stop until it eats up every healthy fiber I have in my body! I knew that already! From the very beginning unnie, I understood! And I am not going to let it consume my remaining days lying helplessly on this bed, waiting for the day its venom would just stop my heart and end my life.. Now promise me unnie—

 

Stop it. Stop it! I don’t want to hear it or anythi—

 

When the clock starts to tick off fast, promise me you will not let me spend my last days in this hole. I don’t want to die alone and miserable. Especially not without you by my side unnie.

 

So this means that her sister knows it too—that the clock had started ticking.

 

Fast.

 

Hanna knows that her sister realized it now, like the way she herself realized it years before that she ain’t getting better. That she is never getting better.

 

And Hanna was more than grateful that her sister is never the type to forget.

 

She may break her promises sometimes—even most of the times because she is that complicated—but Hanna believed that her Yoona unnie is not the like to disregard her words.

 

Never.

 

“Now, will you finish this soup so that we can talk about the unfinished business we have in hand??” Yoona smiled, handing Hanna over a spoonful of soup she needed to ingest.

 

Grinning, Hanna got hold of the spoon and shamelessly shoved the chowder into .

 

“I can even eat the whole bowl and spoon unnie!”

 

With that said, the once quiet room was now thick with the roar of laughter from the eldest Im. was stretched as big as it can as the infamous alligator laugh of hers shamelessly showed itself. Mouth-wide, jaw dropped and eyes squinted to a perfectly curved line to emphasize her joyous moment.

 

Yoona really was indeed laughing herself out and it felt so nice to break out in a wave of genuine giggles after the whole week of stress and brow-scrunching assignments from the company.

 

When was the last time Yoona laughed like this??

 

She could not even remember.

 

But hell does she care! Just like what her sister made her promise, she will not let her spend her remaining moments living miserable and alone.

 

So as much as possible, she will try to show this happy side of her when she is around the youngest (like she used to when they were way younger) even if it kills her inside to think that time is running fast for her sister.

 

“Yeah right. I bet you will Hanna-yah..”

 

 

 

***

 

 

Hey, I’m off to visit Hanna. Sorry if I didn’t wake you up—I know you don’t want me to anyway. I’ll be with her the whole day. But I’ll be home for dinner. Cook something tasty okay? – Yoona

 

The petite blonde let out a soft scoff-chuckle like sound after reading the note from her newly-blonde dongsaeng.

 

Her partner is definitely the perfect combination of a sweet and satirical figure who never failed to amaze the usually cunning Jung.

 

Up until now, she never thought that someone else in the world can actually match her stance. The chic image who has this adorable side of her that she normally shows to the people close to her heart—that is Jessica Jung for you.

 

And for her case, Im Yoona as well.

 

Putting down the note on the lampshade beside her bed (which was by the way playfully pasted on her forehead by Im Choding), Jessica raised herself up from her husband (the bed) and scanned her monitor-filled room.

 

She blinked the sleepiness away and cutely rubbed her eyes afterwards. 

 

So this means, it will be her pajamas and her soul mate (the pillows) that will accompany her for the rest of the day. She does not feel like getting out of the condo today or any other day for that matter.

 

Not when the Jung is planning to tail someone through her babies today. A certain someone who is too risky for her that stalking this person behind the computers is all that Jessica can do.

 

Getting up, the ice-princess lazily dragged herself towards the set of computer system she has opposite her bed and settled herself on a chair. Her hands started typing so quickly at the controls and her eyes professionally darted from one monitor to the other.

 

Even as a kid, Jessica was really inclined to computers and PCs. She never really went out of their huge mansion to play and hang around with other kids. She spent all of her days learning and mastering the complexities and ways of the device and HTMLs and algorithms and internet surface and EVERYTHING that concerns the cyberworld.

 

It all started with a simple goal—to look for someone—and it all ended up with this. Jessica learning almost everything about computers and all, that hacking and scything are only chicken feet for her.

 

That is why when her father wanted her to take over their colossal business empire, she decided to go back to Korea and escape. She never wanted that gigantic stock shares to be slumped over her thin shoulders-especially not when she doesn’t know what to do with it.

 

So just like what she did when she was still a kid, she escaped.

 

Oh the memory lane. The blonde never thought that this simple idea of hunting someone would actually make her recall everything that she did in the past.

 

And thinking about it, Jessica felt a sudden rush of déjà vu. Isn’t this how she started it all?? By looking for a certain someone she met along the peaceful shores of Jeonju years back, isn’t this how she was able to discover things behind the simple, radiating computer screens which are far more complicated than it already was?

 

Intricate isn’t it??

 

Uhm, actually no.

 

Not when Jessica finally found what she was looking for after that minute-long typing through the easy-press keyboard.

 

“There you are..”

 

 

(on the other side of the screen)

 

 

“Taeyeon-ah!”

 

As soon as the soles of a certain Kim cop landed inside the confines of the First Meetings Coffee Shop, an ear-damaging aegyo of a 155-centimeter-long woman filled the not-so-huge café.

 

It was early in the morning so the customers who turned their heads towards the person entering the place was not as numerous as it usually is—but it was enough for the not-so-socialite person like Taeyeon to blush in embarrassment.

 

Slightly twitching her lips in irritation, she turned towards the customers to smile embarrassingly and then immediately sent a deadly glare towards the person who caused her early set of awkwardness.

 

“Would you stop shouting my name with that voice of yours whenever I come here?? It’s embarrassing, Soonkyu..”

 

A gasp was heard by the humiliated cop and soon, another wave of Sunny’s aegyo rolled over.

 

“My Tae-tae knows my true name!! Waaaahhhh!!”

 

Rolling her eyes and groaning, Taeyeon cursed underneath her breath why did she even think of coming here today.

 

Well, she has guess why.

 

Yuri wanted a sip of her Ma juice today and she requested her very own bestfriend to buy it for her. The Kwon said that she will be visiting someone today and that she cannot drop by to get it herself so she asked the Kim to do so.

 

Although the alibi was valid since Taeyeon knew where the tanned cop was going, the midget knew all too well why she refused to come here in the first place.

 

I’m visiting someone today, Taeng. You know who it is.

 

Oh, alright then. Say hi for me.

 

Sure thing.. Oh wait, can I get some favor?

 

As long as it doesn’t require me to jump off the Han river, anything.

 

Kekeke. Silly. I’m craving for some Ma juice. Can you buy it from the coffee shop you told me about?

 

Wait, the First Meetings??

 

Yeah, that one.

 

Then I might just jump off the Han river Yul. It was a better option.

 

*chuckle* Oh come on.. As if Sunny will do things that will harm you.

 

Ha! Maybe the other way around, Yuri-yah. I’m afraid I would just strangle her one day without even thinking twice because of her obsession to me.

 

You must feel proud, you know. It’s not everyday you get to have a cute, clingy person to spazz over you.

 

Pfft. Cute my .

 

*another chuckle* So is that a yes?

 

Ugh! Why don’t you buy it yourself? You’re going out right? Drop by and get that Ma juice of yours.

 

That’s not happening.

 

What?? Why??......Oh… Right… But, you’re not even sure if—

 

That juvenile is everywhere okay? She’s like your worst nightmare, popping out of nowhere. I don’t want to see her.

 

*sigh* Alright. Even if I already forbid myself from entering that café for the rest of my life, I will break my oath just to get that Ma juice of yours.

 

*grinning* That’s why I love you so much, Taengoo.

 

And that’s why she ended up driving all the way from their station to this coffee shop just to buy the stupid Ma juice of the ever health-conscious Kwon Yuri.

 

“I missed you, my Tae-tae. Why aren’t you visiting lately? Did you not miss me?”

 

Groaning for like the nth time now, Taeyeon spoke, “Stop talking nonsense, Soonkyu. Now get me a Ma juice so that I can get back to work..”

 

Although Sunny felt like pouting after hearing another rejection from her month-long crush, her eyebrow was more immediate to react at the new set of order from the midget.

 

“Ma juice?? But you never ordered Ma juice before, Taeyeon-ah.. You even despised it. Wait..” Sunny paused, “Have you been thinking of going the healthy lane now?”

 

Taeyeon groaned once again. This is becoming a habit. Is Yuri’s grumpiness that contagious?

 

“It’s not for me silly. It’s for Yuri.”

 

“Oh!” Sunny exclaimed happily, “This is for Officer Kwon! Aigoo, no wonder she is smoking y and hot. She really takes care of her body well..”

 

“Yes she is. Now get me that order so that I can leave.”

 

“Aigoo. My Tae-tae is jealous. Don’t worry, Taeyeon-ah. You are still the iest and hottest person for me!”

 

The statement made Taeyeon’s blood to boil even more. How long does she have to suffer from the absurdity and ridiculousness of this short-legged cashier? How long?

 

“I am not jealous! Now get me my order… Please??” Taeyeon was on the verge of losing it but was careful enough to finish it with a polite beg. She will definitely kill Kwon Yuri after this.

 

Seeing that her teases are working, Sunny decided to push even more. The short cashier reached for the smooth cheeks of the cop and pinched both of the fatty-cute muscles.

 

With a grin, Sunny spoke, “You are really cute, Taeyeon-ah. Aigoo. Now, it’s going to be a 10-minute wait for the Ma juice. You can take a seat first..”

 

And the cashier Sunny immediately darted off the kitchen after her words, knowing how the Kim would react on her actions.

 

“YAH LEE SOONKYU!”

 

 

(on the other side of the coffee shop’s CCTV camera)

 

Jessica did not even notice her strong grip on the mouse and the deadly-blank expression on her face.

 

That was definitely flirting that the cashier Sunny was doing.

 

And that pinch on Taeyeon’s cheeks? That was definitely playing around with the cop.

 

Jessica doesn’t know but why is she gritting her teeth on this? And why is her left brow perked up at the same time??

 

She focused her gaze once again on the monitor that shows where the Kim was. Taeyeon was now huffing in embarrassment about the last thing that happened. She awkwardly dragged herself towards one of the booths of the café and settled.

 

The midget then slowly caressed the Sunny-swollen cheeks that the 155-centimeter long person had just pinched and pouted cutely.

 

And that did it.

 

Jessica abruptly stood up and walked towards the bathroom. She will definitely wash herself as fast as possible and zoom towards the coffee shop.

 

And long was the thought of spending her whole day with her husband and her soul mate for Jessica suddenly had a very important thing to do today.

 

“Stupid midget.”

 

 

***

 

 

“Taeyeon sent a ‘Hi’. She cannot come today since she is busy.” was the very first words of the tanned cop as she settled the bouquet of flowers she bought along the way. This is her monthly visit to the very person who left her hanging for some time now.

 

“How are you unnie?”

 

As if an answer to the inquiry, a cool breeze of wind dampened the smooth, tanned skin of Kwon Yuri. She silently caressed her arms, feeling the wind’s hands hugging her—taking it as an embrace of the person she was visiting.

 

“You know if I am not your sister, I might as well freak out with the way you respond to my greetings and queries..”

 

Another gust of wind met the tanned skin of the cop but it was gentler and softer this time—as if telling the Kwon to stop teasing her.

 

And all Yuri can do was to chuckle in response. Her unnie really has her own ways of conveying things to her, even from the heavens where she belongs now.

 

She is maybe known for being the most guarded person in the SPD, garnering attraction from her colleagues because of this trait of hers—mysterious and collected. But little do they know, she is the complete opposite of what they thought whenever she is with her sister.

 

At least infront her sister’s grave.

 

Settling on the grasses infront of the cold, lonely tomb that reads Kwon BoA, Yuri uttered,

 

“Mom and Dad are doing fine. There was a hurricane that struck New York last week but they said it was nothing to worry about. They are really enjoying their lives in States unnie so you don’t have to worry about them..”

 

There was no gust of breeze this time. The chirping of the birds are the only things that can be heard in the open-wide cemetery and Yuri took this as her sister’s means of listening to her.

 

The cop reached for a flower from the bouquet and started playing with it.

 

“It was Mom’s birthday last week and I was not able to fly there and celebrate with them. And you know Mom, she easily gets disappointed whenever she was not given the right attention especially on her special day. She said that I was just like you, really the type to forget about the important events in the family and that I always have the alibi. ”

 

Yuri continued playing with the flower and now decided to pick on its petals.

 

“I have a valid excuse though. The city has been in chaos lately, crimes and murders are almost everywhere and we in the station needed to work double time to make sure that at least the majority of the people are safe. Criminals today are just so sneaky and wise that it is getting difficult for us to tell who’s who among them..”

 

The youngest Kwon looked up to stare at the grave thoughtfully.

 

“People of today are luckier, you know. Advanced technologies and hardworking policemen are on their side to secure them..” She paused for a moment before continuing the words she intended to say.

 

“If this was just the case during the time you were killed unnie, I am pretty sure that you are still with us up until now.”

 

With that being said, Yuri gripped the flower on her hand so tightly that her knuckles are now turning white. She was gritting her teeth silently as the memories of the tragic memory came rushing once again.

 

No… No, stop. I don’t want to think about it. Stop thinking about it, Kwon Yuri!

 

Inhaling a lungful of air, the enraging cop shut her eyes in attempt to calm herself down. She breathed for a couple more times, having the first draw in as inadequate to ease her.

 

She tried not mentioning her sister’s death whenever she comes and visit but today was different. Yuri was just emotionally distressed that her walls just started crumbling down right infront of her sister’s grave.

 

“I had a hell of a week unnie so please understand me for being emotionally unguarded today. I just…” Yuri sighed.

 

A cool breeze of wind suddenly wiped the scrunching face of the tanned cop. The dried leaves that were scattered around the tomb started flying away and the branches of the nearby tree began dancing in the air.

 

“I’m sorry. I had a bad shot last night so I am like this. Sensitive…”

 

The black pearl breathed in once again decided to loosen her grip on the flower she just strangled.

 

“You do know that I stopped trusting anyone after you died right? Well, Taeyeon was the only exception on that. But to the rest of the world, I became so doubtful..”

 

Yuri stared back on the sculpted name of her unnie and began speaking again, “You see, I met this girl. I don’t know how old she is so I described her a juvenile.. Geez, I don’t even know her name so I call her ‘clumsy’ because she is clumsy…”

 

The cop chuckled and she doesn’t even know why.

 

“Pointless topic, yeah? I know. I am even sure that if you are still physically alive, you will smack me in the head and ask me if I even play for the other team—which by the way, am not sure..”

 

Another chuckle.

 

“What I want to say is, it is unfair.” Yuri blinked, “All these years I shunned the world around me and pushed away the people who tried getting near me because I’m afraid that they will hurt me the way they hurt me before…”

 

“But then here comes a girl who I met thrice in just a day and I don’t even know her name but she was able to see right through me… I just… I felt a connection unnie. Although it was just a little connection, I felt it… And it’s been years since I felt this way…”

 

The nth sigh of the day from the Kwon came out.

 

“But then again, I think I was just too delusional to think that people deserved to be trusted. They never deserved to be trusted..”

 

After her words, silence overcame the place and the cop just stayed staring at the tomb. Although it will never change the fact that the juvenile disappointed Yuri, that being said out loud somehow lessened the anger and regret that the cop felt when she once decided to open herself again.

 

This time, Yuri is firm: She will never let anyone hurt her again.

 

Suddenly, her phone vibrated from her pocket. The cop immediately fetched the device and looked at the caller ID.

 

Her scrunched up face abruptly lit up after realizing who the caller was. A small smile appeared on her face and she yanked her wrist to look at her watch.

 

Crap.

 

No wonder the caller was calling her now. Their meet up was supposed to be 8am and it was already 9:30 in Yuri’s watch.

 

“Juhyun-ah!”

 

“Yuri unnie!! Where are you??”

 

“Gosh, I’m so sorry. I went somewhere and I’ve been too occupied that I forgot about the time..”

 

“It’s okay unnie. I understand… But I am already on my way to the hospital right now. I needed to see some of my patients..”

 

“Oh. Okay. Well, do you want to me postpone our meeting? I don’t want to be a bother to my cousin’s jam-packed schedule..”

 

“Aniyo! It will not be that long anyway. I just needed to check on them today, that’s all.”

 

 “Oh, alright then. I’ll meet you there Seobaby..”

 

“Alright unnie! Drive safe! Don’t forget to wear your seatbelt”

 

“Yeah yeah. Whatever..”

 

“Unnie!”

 

“Okay okay. Sheesh. Old habits really die hard, yeah?”

 

“It’s for your safety after all unnie..”

 

“Yeah, thanks for reminding me Juhyun-ah. You drive safe as well, okay?”

 

With that said, the two hung up from their call and Yuri was left staring back to the grave once again. Only this time, her anger already evaporated and she was now looking forward to the meeting with her cousin, Seo Juhyun.

 

“Remember Seohyun? She was that innocent cousin of ours who is now an accomplished doctor, unnie. I’ll be meeting her today to catch things up with her.”

 

Getting up on her feet, the cop dusted off the earth on her jeans and looked down at the cold tomb where her sister’s body had long been sleeping.

 

“I’ll come again next time sis… And I’ll be wishing a happier me when I visit next month..”

 

Leaving a thoughtful smile, Yuri started walking away from the grave to meet her cousin.

 

But little did the Kwon cop know that Cupid is once again playing with his arrow to get things right—once and for all.

 

 

***

 

“Yoona-ssi? Dae, this is Dr. Seo… Yes, I’m already on my way to the hospital…Oh, so you’re already there? Alright then… See you!”